User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2014, 05:48 PM   #1
Mastery OP
Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer: 818
Soul Rejuvenation Ride

The Soul Rejuvenation Ride. Yep, that's what I am going to call this thing I am getting ready to do. I could bore you with all the personal problems and drama going on in my life right now, but anybody reading this has their own issues and last thing they want to do is play psychologist and listing to me complain.

Let's just say it is bad...even by my own "happy go lucky" standards. The realization has finally come that for the sake of my personal and professional relationships, it is time for me to go dance with the universe for a while. Alone. Unencumbered. Without thought of responsibilities to any other person. I wish to sit at a isolated campsite and stare into the heavens...and am open to the message that it shall provide to me.

After decades of taking care of others, assuming responsibilities that I should not have had to undertake, and of putting aside my own desires and wishes in order to appease others, it is time for a little me time. For just a while, I can turn off the personal, professional, social, and economic problems that never end and only have multiplied and been magnified over the last couple of years without any form of reprieve.

I am on edge. I am frustrated. I am stressed. I awake, I go to work, I go home, I go to sleep. Rinse, and repeat. Daily. For years. Every day. A person without direction is a person with no meaning. In my mid-forties, some would simply call this a mid-life crisis...but I think that most people at some time of their life, even back into their childhood years, will experience a time in which it seems as the universe and everything in it conspires against you. Nothing goes right...some things go horribly wrong...and it's time to put the brakes on life for a while and just go out and find one's self again.

Trip planning for a year has allowed me to reserve the needed time away from work, and that time has finally arrived. It's been a rough road getting here, but at least it is now here. Plans have changed from Alaska to a half-dozen other destinations; the latest being Utah. Right now, I do not care where I go...as long as I go...somewhere.

Time for a Soul Rejuvenation ride. Time for a journey.

Maybe along the way, a friendly waitress will come top off the cup of coffee without being asked. Or the park ranger takes a moment to point out the best available camping spot that only he knows about. Or a fellow rider getting fuel greets me first with a "how ya doin'?" and a genuine smile of friendship. Or the fast food worker giving me a breakfast sandwich tells me to have a great day, and actually means it. Or the one evening I really need to see a awesome sunset, whatever almighty power that exists graces me with their most magnificent work of art.

See? I don't seek anything special. Nothing I seek costs money. All I seek is something given from the heart by somebody or something else. Given without conditions, or risk of taking it back. Something given freely, and something that would be received most graciously by yours truly. Maybe in a few days or weeks, I can find goodness, tranquility, and guidance. A person just needs to see some good every once in awhile, and if that is not available in the immediate surroundings, then they must seek it.

In less than thirty-six hours, on Saturday morning before the sun shines its rays, I shall start the ride westward-bound, looking to explore the creations that exists in the world. Hoping to see the best beauty of this country's landscape, my current goal is to leave the Hoosier land and perhaps make my way to Colorado and Utah. With this comes the chance to view millions of stars in the heavens without the contamination of city lights, and to listen to the song of the winds that will blow by me. I will ride for thousands of miles, as distance and time are required to blow out the cobwebs in my mind so I can focus on creating direction and meaning again.

My steed for this journey will be a newly acquired (as in late April) 2007 V-Strom DL650 which has been outfitted with most of the necessary creature comforts and accessories that one would utilize on such a journey. New tires, brakes, chain, sprocket, fluids, etc all have been added recently in addition to all the neat farkles installed all over the bike. A GPS and maps are available to guide the way, but I am determined to turn left if I so desire, even if the previously created directions tell me to turn right. Nothing out there currently beckons me in its direction; but I am assured that the motorcycle knows the way of where I am destined to go.

I shall ride interstates to gather distance from the land of straight roads and endless soybean fields, and somewhere along the way, I shall move over to smaller lanes to explore and find the cadence my soul seeks.

The Vstrom is packed with couple of cameras, camping gear, a netbook, some clothes. The plan is to share some pictures, maybe a few words as I go. You know...just something to keep me a little grounded with at least some focus of needing to do "something" while I am out riding.

And maybe somewhere along the way, I will decide it is time to go back home.

Or, maybe I won't.
Old 06-14-2014, 02:13 PM   #2
TropicalDale
Lonely Rider

Oddometer: 61
Good luck on your journey.
I have similar feelings about my life at this point.
There is something about getting some miles behind you that really helps to put
the important things in perspective.
Great choice of bike.
TropicalDale is online now   Reply With Quote