User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2006, 07:05 PM   #1
Cigars&Scotch OP
My eyes are up here

Oddometer: 1,834
HID setup for Airhead? High Intensity Discharge Headlights For Airheads

Since we all know that our beloved airheads can barely keep the lights on at idle and just above, what do you think about sticking a HID H4 setup in that big light?

They only use 35 watts of power compared to 55 watt regular H4, thats almost 2 amps of power. Remember that at full tilt, you have about 20 amps total, so its a about a 10% savings. If you combine that with some LED rear brake light, electronic flashers and LED turn sugnals, I might actually be able to turn on that heated vest.

Yea I could install an Enduralast or a Motoelectic upgrade, but that would be easy. Plus you would actually be able to see at night with the HID.

So what do you think?

"Why don't you buy some flea collars for your ankles so the ants wont climb up you leg and bite your candy ass!!!" Kennyanc 07 H.Springs

38 BMW R71 w/sidecar Kung Fu version
77 BMW R90S Huh ?
90 BMW R100GS/PD "At last!"

NRA Life Member, Trout Unlimited Life Member
Drink till I'm Drunk Life Member
Cigars&Scotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 07:15 AM   #2
Boojum
I Miss the PartyBoss

Oddometer: 5,934
Sounds Logical, Mike. I think you should start a thread on "Doing the HID to an Airhead" and keep us posted on what you come up with

Boojum!
Boojum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 07:41 AM   #3
jtwind
Wisconsin Airhead

Oddometer: 3,508
I think aerostich has a HID setup to convert from an h4 bulb. JT
jtwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 01:39 PM   #4
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,079
Thumb Info

I asked the same question last week on the Pelican R1100S forum, as I have a HID in my R11S, and wondered about my GS...it's pretty well answered here...

HID for the Electrically Challenged...

the key word here is "BiXenon"
Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 06:22 PM   #5
moosehead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
You can try these guys. Straight plug n play. HID only on low beam. Regular halogen for high beam.
BUT ...what a light!! All you need is the low beam. I use low beam HID with 2 PIAA 35w driving lights at night and you get lots of lumens and not much power draw.
http://www.cqlight.ca/
Bob

PS I think there was thread on this earlier this year thats what got me onto it. Do a search.
Get the 5000 degree light - there very white but any higher degree (like 6000+) the light is almost purple.
moosehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 02:05 AM   #6
beemer67
Really Old airhead

Oddometer: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehead
You can try these guys. Straight plug n play. HID only on low beam. Regular halogen for high beam.
BUT ...what a light!! All you need is the low beam. I use low beam HID with 2 PIAA 35w driving lights at night and you get lots of lumens and not much power draw.
http://www.cqlight.ca/
Bob
If you bought the 9003 Auto kit could you use it for 2 separate bikes? Seems like all important parts are doubled up.

Has anyone had experience with the HID in extended off-road riding? How does it handle heavy vibration and knocks?

Chris
BC , Canada
beemer67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 06:16 AM   #7
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,253
So far I never see a Real H4 HID with a proper High/Low beam..(maybe they are but i don't know about them)
the old aproach was to provide you with a servo motor (to change the focal beam of the bulb) but i never saw one in production, then is the "Fake high beam" that is basically a Halogen bulb that "Piggy backs" on top of the HID just to pass by legal but it makes very little diference in light pattern.

So I came with a diferent aproach, basically move the whole headlight fore and aft (Rotate on a center axis) to change the beam pattern, is not perfect since the cut out for the high beam is just not there. but still works far better than a High beam (or low) HID since I don't blind the traffic or suffer from extreme reflexions in the foggy days and nights..

Anyway Here is my aproach to High/Low beam HID's hopefully you find it useful.

Actually I'm sure if you do your homework you can come with something far more clean and sofisticated, so far my low tech aproach prove more than efficient and trouble free to justified a second generation development.

I hope this help you on the road for better and brigter future..

Ricardo Kuhn screwed with this post 12-15-2006 at 07:24 AM
Ricardo Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 06:39 AM   #8
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwind
I think aerostich has a HID setup to convert from an h4 bulb. JT
The kit sold by Aerostich has a small servo that changes the lighting from low beam to high.. I'm sure others sell it too.

You might want to check out:

www.cqlights.ca for some excellent pricing on HID kits.
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 08:21 AM   #9
OldBMWMaster
Banned

Oddometer: 4,185
Thanks to all of you.

I went to the thread and found the perfect solution for my bike.

http://trailtech.net/store/single_hid_scmr16.html

This will be perfect for someone like me who really does not want to mess with the wiring on an old airhead.

I appreciate this a lot. One of the main reasons I joined this site; a lot of shared knowledge.
OldBMWMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 08:32 AM   #10
elmoreman
takin' a break, boss

Oddometer: 1,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBMWMaster
I went to the thread and found the perfect solution for my bike.

http://trailtech.net/store/single_hid_scmr16.html

This will be perfect for someone like me who really does not want to mess with the wiring on an old airhead.

I appreciate this a lot. One of the main reasons I joined this site; a lot of shared knowledge.
That's a nice looking set up. Where do you plan on mounting one (or more)?

And how much light would these throw compared to some PIAA's 520's??
Old 12-15-2006, 08:44 AM   #11
lkchris
Albuquerque

Oddometer: 984
Pretty much every factory installation utilizing HID includes an incandescent high beam.

Even those factory installations featuring "bixenon."

The reason is HID have "warmup" time, making them not suitable for flashing.

Recommend a dual reflector setup for safety.
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 09:00 AM   #12
OldBMWMaster
Banned

Oddometer: 4,185
Mounting

[quote=elmoreman]That's a nice looking set up. Where do you plan on mounting one (or more)?

I plan on drilling holes on each side of the headlight ears and using a chrome post with the lights attached to it.

I will mount the on/off switch in the "neutral" hole in the headlamp assembly. I figure that two lights on each side of the main lamp will give me more than enough good light to spot the deer before I hit em.
OldBMWMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 09:03 AM   #13
wintonio
last of the Dum Dum Daze

Oddometer: 1,654
color temp

maybe a stupid question: what color temp would be best if purchasing a HID piggyback bulb like on the cgi website? It gives you options of 5000, 6500, 8000, or 10000. I just don't know anything about this stuff
wintonio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 09:22 AM   #14
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by wintonio
maybe a stupid question: what color temp would be best if purchasing a HID piggyback bulb like on the cgi website?
IMO you want the mid-range 4500 or so, tis provides a bright white light as opposed to the trendy blue-purple light that really doesn't help you visually as much as the natural white.
I have a low beam HID on my S and it's fab...
Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 09:57 AM   #15
moosehead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
Definetly below 5000 degrees as the higher you go the more "purple" the light and I really don't like them at the light "temperature".
I have the 4500-5000 cgi setup on my bike (low beam only) a 91 R100GS and trust me - it puts out a ton of light at night. At night I also run 2xPIAAs (35w ultra white bulbs only) aimed further up the road and splashed to the sides to some degree and there is plenty of light.
I think there is legality issues with HID's as hi beams in some countries? Also as mentioned they really aren't conducive for "flashing".
Power draw is minimal so great for the limited power resources (280w)

I don't do a lot of night riding anymore (at least at my advanced age) - only as a necessity - but this set up is the best one I've come across.

My oldest son also installed on his GS (1150) and he does more night riding than I do and he's also pleased with them.

My car has the "euro" lights standard (BMW X3 - see they do make cars too!) and I'm not sure if the HID is also hi beam - don't think so. I'll have to check that out as I rarely put them on.

Lots of great ideas out there so I'm sure you guys will come up with other solutions.
moosehead is online now   Reply With Quote