Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2012, 09:59 AM   #196
gatorjos
Minsk afficionado

Oddometer: 17
Some cool vintage dirtbikes and desert racers from a private collection starting about 8:45 in this video:
http://youtu.be/SEDor5556io
gatorjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:59 PM   #197
Whereabouts
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
This is awesome. I just stumbled onto this thread and was vaguely thinking I should try to dig up a pic of my old bike . . . hey, there it is!

Man, that was a fun day (thanks again Flux!). I probably wouldn't have gone if I'd known what I was getting myself into but I'm glad I didn't miss it. It really highlighted the need for better suspension for that thing to really 'scramble' rather than just the backroad exploring I mostly used it for. But, yeah, low pipes work just fine for water crossings.

The sad thing is that I've been moto-less since I sold that beast, but I have a comeback planned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem9 View Post
Beautiful old Triumph!

Speaking of high pipes vs. low, I rode a nearly stock modern classic Triumph Scrambler. When I stood on the pegs, it did feel "fat" on the side of the pipes. I envision possibly using a scrambler concept as an Adventure bike, or big beast dual sport. I just remembered this guy from a ride I went on a while back. Flux's Big Adventure IV. I think it was an XS650.

Old 10-27-2012, 04:40 AM   #198
SOS
Ignorance is a gift

Oddometer: 707
XS650 Adventure Bike

Been working on this for a bit. Should be ready by Spring.

'79 XS650 with '87 YZ mono shock and front end.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:49 PM   #199
fotoduda.com
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOS View Post
Been working on this for a bit. Should be ready by Spring.

'79 XS650 with '87 YZ mono shock and front end.
Looks serious man! :)
fotoduda.com
generalbikes.eu
fotoduda.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:20 PM   #200
TheRadBaron
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 433

This is a rough mockup of the CB350-based scrambler that I'm working on. It's a CB350 frame and the motor is an SL350 kick-only lower end with a CB top end. I've got a set of CL350 high pipes that will go onto it that are in decent shape, but not so nice that I feel bad painting them flat black and leaving the heat shields chrome. The tires will ultimately be the old-style universal trials tires. The seat is from an old Suzuki TS90. I've got a pair if Mikuni VM28 carbs for it with UNI pod filters. I plan on using a small Antigravity 4-cell battery, hidden under the seat so that the frame stays minimalist and uncluttered.
I still have a lot of detail work to do and some more mods to make, but the end result will be basically what you see here. I thought about swapping on better forks and a 19" or 21" front wheel and upgrading the rear suspension, but what I really want is a period correct, late '60s, Japanese scrambler. I fully intend to ride it offroad, too.
Here's the active build log for it over at hondatwins.net:
http://www.hondatwins.net/forum/view...hp?f=5&t=18920
Old 10-29-2012, 01:30 PM   #201
TheRadBaron
Gnarly Adventurer

Oh yeah, and here's my XS650 scrambler that I built and have been riding for a few years. For pure riding enjoyment, this is the finest bike I've ever owned or ridden. I've done some serious offroad with it and it does admirably well as long as it doesn't start to tip over. It's HEAVY.
I originally intended to put high pipes on it, but I knew that my wife would be doing a lot of pillion riding on this one and every design of pipes that I came up with interfered badly with passenger comfort. It's out in my shop now getting a fresh top end.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:29 PM   #202
Euromad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
This is how she came home this March- like the tassles?

Here's the current scrambler set-up. I'm looking for chrome fenders, a Lucas tail light or..., better suspension and high siamese pipes..
The rear shocks are adequate, the front is poor. The motor is a '75 in a '73 frame.
Euromad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:47 AM   #203
MightyChosen1
I wanna be sedated

Oddometer: 1,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRadBaron View Post
Oh yeah, and here's my XS650 scrambler that I built and have been riding for a few years. For pure riding enjoyment, this is the finest bike I've ever owned or ridden. I've done some serious offroad with it and it does admirably well as long as it doesn't start to tip over. It's HEAVY.
I originally intended to put high pipes on it, but I knew that my wife would be doing a lot of pillion riding on this one and every design of pipes that I came up with interfered badly with passenger comfort. It's out in my shop now getting a fresh top end.
Thats pretty cool. I have been thinking about seperating mine from the car and going solo with it. Its been fun with this combo but all the dirt riding is beating the 30 year old sidecar to death.

Are you using the stock front forks? I have been thinking about upgrading to something else. YZ-250? or something like that.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:01 AM   #204
TheRadBaron
Gnarly Adventurer

That's funny. I was planning to put a sidecar onto my 650 until recently when I decided that my Suzuki GS1000 would be more suitable.
The front forks on my bike are sort of a hodgepodge that I put together so that I could use the Honda CB77 front hub without any serious mods. The triple clamps are stock XS650, the fork tubes are '79 CB750, and the fork sliders are '74 CB450. I had to turn up a couple of custom-width axle spacers, but that was it. It all works out well together.
At one point I was planning to upgrade the front forks and rear suspension for better performance and more ground clearance and travel, but I decided that I like the bike so much as it is that I didn't want to risk turning it into something that was less enjoyable to ride. I have other bikes that I'll use for more aggressive off-roading.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:37 PM   #205
shane_lxi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Here's my sl350. Not quite done, but you get the idea.

Before:
shane_lxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:18 AM   #206
fotoduda.com
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Maybe it's just me, but it looks like you had a scrambler, and now you have a sweet cafe racer.

Nonetheless it looks awesome! I get the idea and I dig it. Do you have some pics or a build thread on adv?
fotoduda.com
generalbikes.eu
fotoduda.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:49 AM   #207
shane_lxi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
No you're right, lol. I've kinda had a change of heart though, and I'm planning on swapping on some tracker bars with a minimal amount of rise. Sucks I already had my cables made for my clipons though, lol.
shane_lxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:59 PM   #208
waterboybueche
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
LOVE these!!

Come on you guys, I am wanting to do the same "tracker/scrambler" bike... Keep this thread alive,,, any new pics???

Keep up the good work...
waterboybueche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:21 PM   #209
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,742
hain't hardly "custom" but I been hav'n fun with my son's XS650, with plans for Vermont back roads in the spring....

started out like this:

went to this on the frame:

and using an old DT tank with something like this:

Took her out for a run up and down the street with a funnel-ful of gas.... seems promising so far....

bpeckm screwed with this post 12-05-2012 at 01:36 PM Reason: pictures didn't load first time
bpeckm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:25 AM   #210
83XLX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352

83XLX is offline   Reply With Quote