Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Latin America
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2013, 11:36 AM   #31
markharf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 560
Best advice I heard about pricing in South America--assuming you really do want to sell a bike, and aren't just toying around with the concept--was as follows:

Decide how much your bike is worth at home in the USA or Europe. Deduct whatever it would cost to ship it home. That's your selling price.

I've seen people try desperately, but fail to sell their bikes, and I've watched people succeed almost effortlessly. Price has almost always made the difference. It makes no difference what you paid for it, what you think the bike should be worth, or what someone at a fuel stop told you they would pay for it if they only could, or even what fully legalized bikes just like yours appear to be selling for wherever you are. Nor does all that upgrading you did before leaving on your trip matter much--all the skid plates and replacement bolts and fancy wiring and plugs for heated clothing. Even hard luggage is of little value (unless you manage to sell to another overland rider).

There are exceptions, of course. There are always exceptions. And I sure don't know all there is to know in the world, so I'd be interested in hearing other ideas.

Mark
markharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:04 AM   #32
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,860
What he just said is true in USA sales too-plus I'll add that condition/miles also usually matter too.
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:49 AM   #33
o*o
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Wicked Beware potential import penalties

More than one person I rode with has sold their bike in SA. One or more was in Paraguay following "special procedures."
Quote:
Originally Posted by markharf View Post
...Decide how much your bike is worth at home in the USA or Europe. Deduct whatever it would cost to ship it home. That's your selling price. ...
Mark
Check the facts in the specific country you consider selling it. I'd also add in any penalty I'd be charged for not taking your bike out of the country when I return. In a number of countries I signed documents stating I will take my bike out of the country by a specific date. In Brasil the penalty was over $5,000 reals or almost $3,000 US which I would have to pay when I return.

One guy currently has his bike 'temporarily' confiscated for over 4 months now for overstaying 1 week in Peru. A buyer might have an illegally imported bike confiscated? I'd advise a buyer to check that out for themselves. People who have asked to buy my bike look confused but undaunted when I mention these considerations.

o*o screwed with this post 03-16-2013 at 10:50 AM Reason: typo
o*o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:12 AM   #34
Arnolphus
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthrad View Post
Argentina:
1) best option if you find a tourist to sell to (through posting on ADV / HUBB), depends on season (when people start trips), takes time to find (so arrange beforehand), takes some trust. Documents are either photoshoped (US registrations), or transfered legally in US (US title), or transfered by a "poder" (power of attorney) in a local notary. This is the known / popular option. Price range 2500 -3500 $.
Is there anyone who actually did this? I (European passport) just bought a KLR in Argentina with an American plate on it, from an American. I'm going to get the papers fixed at the local notary. Is there anybody who has experience with crossing borders?

Thank you very mucht!
Arnolphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 12:18 PM   #35
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,617
Be assured, once you have the notary papers the bike is yours and you can travel freely.

Don't listen to the naysayers.
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 05:14 PM   #36
bouldergeek
Filthy, poor KLR dweeb

Oddometer: 1,074
I am going to sell my bike, but I can't leave the plate behind.

I need my plate to cancel my insurance and registration in the US, and am penalized without that.

So, my plan is to not include my plate with the sale. I wouldn't include it in the US, either.

One question: do both parties need to be present to get the sale notarized? The buyer is coming in to town after I have to leave.

From the End of the Earth to the End of the Road: South Pole to the Darien
bouldergeek is offline   Reply With Quote