User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2013, 08:03 PM   #1
Rally263 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Noobie solos from Cleveland to Maine

So a few years ago I watched this documentary with Ewan Macgregor and Charles Boorman...

That documentary fascinated me so much I bought my first bike... (my 3rd mid life crisis I guess)

Well I'm new to two wheels, this is my first trip longer than 3 days, and my first ride report...so bear with me a little. I've been on the road for 5 days now, and am just getting to this report.. I'm already in Maine....excuses, excuses, but the roman gods of free wifi are not always kind, and a couple days, I was just tired.

The idea behind this is to skirt the north coast of the US from Cleveland all the way to Fort Kent ME, and than go down route 1 to Lubec ME and then head home. I've been sort of planning this for a while but nothing is set in stone. The architecture business is a little slow (for me anyway) at the moment, so not sure I'll ever have the time to take a trip like this again.

It started last year, just trying to go to the St Lawrence seaway, and evolved into going to Maine. So here we go....

First I have to give a shout out to an Inmate... Jon, or as some people know him.. Jon Miller. Thanks for all the advise and especially all the help in the past couple months getting me ready for this...

I had a pretty open schedue, but decided to wait until after my parents 50th wedding anniversary, considering I was in France for their 25th, I thought I should show up for the 50th.... so I left the day after.

And here she is ready to go.. A slightly overloaded 2007 BMW f650gs (thumper)... I need to learn to be more efficient. I intend to camp a couple days, but most of the time I will stay inside.... tools, spare tube, and camping gear took up one pannier by it self..

So... I intended to leave by about noon and ride to Rochester NY, but all the last minute stuff, I didn't get out of dodge until almost 4:00..

So instead of slabbing it for 4 or 5 hours on the first day, I decided to ride 90 to 86, and then stop in Ellicotville NY for the night. I've always like brew pubs, and I always like the Ellicotville Brewing Company after skiing, I like it after riding as well. So that ends the first day... I'm writing this on an IPad and haven't figured out how to post more than one picture at a time, so I'll post this and start day two later....
Rally263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:27 PM   #2
Rally263 OP
Adventurer

Day 2 Tuesday June 18... This report is sort of to keep a diary of sorts that I can go back to it my self but I am behind....

Ended up leaving Ellicotville around 9:00, a little later than I'd hoped, but no worries... it rained a little overnight, bike was wet.. but no big deal.. It is cloudy and a little chilly but I'm happy to be on the road. I decided to take 242 out of Ellicotville, hop on 16, then 39 throught Avon, and up to Rochester, then see how far I can go after that.

I've been to Letchworth State Park a couple times before, so decided to skip it, but if you've never been there I would recommend going. The waterfalls are pretty amazing...

So wound up with a big fat detour on 39 if I remember, took a while to get through... shortly after getting on real 39, I see a little black bear... It stopped right in the middle of the road.... I tried to get my phone out quick enough, but he turned and jumped over the guardrail, that was about the same height as he was before I could get the picture. I seemed strange because the area really wasn't wooded, and it was a small village.

One of the reasons I wanted to stop in Avon, is that my Great Great Great Great Grandfather was buried there, so I am going to see if I can find the grave...

Col Samuel Blakeslee, served in the revolutionary war, and then was a voluneer in the war of 1812. He had 400 volunteers under his command at the batte of Black Rock. There were 2 groups of regular army soldiers that retreated before Samuel was ordered to take on the British. He fought for over an hour before he was told to retreat. After the battle the british burned Buffalo in retaliation for a previous burning by the US... After the battle the British commander asked some people who that old man was, and they responded by saying Col Samuel Blakeslee. The British commander then said he faught like the devil!

After the cemetary I stopped for a bite to eat, talked to some people who were interested in my ride.. I guess a loaded down bike starts conversations...
Old 06-21-2013, 08:35 PM   #3
Rally263 OP
Adventurer

day 2 continued...

Road from Avon to Rochester... Seems like it could be and interesting town. I may have to come back, when I have more time...
Old 06-22-2013, 09:51 AM   #4
Vt-Stromer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 702
If your headed through Vt I got some tent space for you and a great nearby brew pub.
Vt-Stromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:27 PM   #5
Oldone
One day at a time!

Oddometer: 631
Interesting!

We have friends who live outside of Cleveland and would be very interested in the history of your 1812 relative's war life. That goes back many many years, that's for sure! Thanks for doing the RR as it's quite interesting.

Gary "Oldone"

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride
Grampa’s National Monument Rid
e
Oldone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:12 PM   #6
txplants
Pastafarian

Oddometer: 210
I've got a soft spot for thumpers; good looking set up you've got there!
txplants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:31 PM   #7
Roland44
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by txplants View Post
I've got a soft spot for thumpers; good looking set up you've got there!
Good looking set indeed! Nice report OP, keep it up!!
Roland44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:35 PM   #8
Rally263 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vt-Stromer View Post
If your headed through Vt I got some tent space for you and a great nearby brew pub.
Thanks for the offer! I'm so far behind on this report, I've already gone through VT., but what an amazing state! I'll definitely be back again!
Old 06-22-2013, 06:40 PM   #9
Rally263 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldone View Post
We have friends who live outside of Cleveland and would be very interested in the history of your 1812 relative's war life. That goes back many many years, that's for sure! Thanks for doing the RR as it's quite interesting.

Gary "Oldone"

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride
Grampa’s National Monument Rid
e
This genealogy thing has become more interesting to me as I get older... He had 5 sons in the war of 1812, and at least 2 moved to Ohio, very shortly after the war... PM me if your friends want more info...
Old 06-22-2013, 06:46 PM   #10
rboett
posser noob 205

Oddometer: 1,639
have a great trip,, wifey grew up on lloyd rd.

slow down and check out some more brew pubs and people along the way..
Old 06-22-2013, 07:00 PM   #11
Rally263 OP
Adventurer

So it is a little challenging finding free wifi when you want it....

So this is still day two of the report. I ended up leaving Rochester, and wanted to ride along the coast of Lake Ontario. One of the things i've noticed I pay a lot more attention to what is around me when I am on two wheels, than I do when I'm caged...I find the little towns really interesting.. especially the buildings in the center... fascinating for an architect to look at, but maybe I should pay more attention to the road...

so hopped up to lake road... a lot curvier than it looked like on the map... rode to Sodus Pt....

I like the picture, but it is way better in real life. Rode through the village....neat little place but, not much there...

Went a little further, and stopped of at Chimney Bluffs... its a small park, but I really enjoyed it... I am still trying to figure out how these things stand up...

There are signs all over the place saying to stay away from the edge because of erosion, and seeing all the trees that fell over the edge that still have green leaves on them made me believe the signs...
Old 06-22-2013, 07:27 PM   #12
justafurnaceman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 554
I'm from Farmington Maine living in Missouri right now and next month I'll be making my second trip from here to there. I'm hoping to cut out most of the highways.

I love riding around during the fall, seeing the colors and enjoying the crisp air. RTE 2 through Franconia Notch was really nice and there's so many country roads to enjoy.

Can' wait to see more pictures. One of my long term goals is to ride RTE 1 from Fort Kent ME to the Keys in FL.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:49 PM   #13
Rally263 OP
Adventurer

the rest of day two, was fairly uneventful, rode till almost dusk... stopped at Watertown NY for the night, found a hotel that lost their WIFI, which seems standard for me on this trip....

Woke up rode through watertown... There is a brewery in town... apparently I didn't research this trip well enough... but the original plan was to be around Alexandria Bay at this time.

Watertown is another place that used to be something, and doesn't seem like it anymore. Still some really interesting buildings..

Took off towards Saketts harbor for some history lessons... Cool place. Probably not a destination, but interesting none the less.

Next goal, the St. Lawrence...

So I took a couple turns that seem like a good idea at the time.. but that's what it cost me... time..no worries, I'm riding and having and incredible time.

That's in Cape Vincent, the beginning of the St. Lawrence and once again the picture doesn't do justice....

continued the ride... along the St. Lawrence through Clayton,

An old boat, or at least old looking, almost looks like a steam boiler on the boat.

I didn't plan to go to Wellesley Island, changed my mind at the on ramp... cool place. There is a toll, if you are afraid of heights, you won't be a fan of the bridge...

I should have stopped and taken a picture of every single victorian house but that didn't meet my schedule.. Whether you are a somewhat geeky architect like myself or not, you should be able to appreciated the architecture...

here are a few, but by no means the best, they were just in view of where I parked...

The obligatory shot of the ship going through...

cliche as it may be, it was cool..

Rode through Alexandria Bay, Ogdensburg, both interesting little towns, but not sure whats there to offer, I was hoping the road would hug the seaway a little closer, but there were plenty of places to stop. rode through Messina and then pushed on to Burlington.

And I have to say the ride along rt 2 from Rouses Point to Burlington was stunning... I apologize for not taking pictures.
Old 06-23-2013, 01:31 AM   #14
rootsy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Love those spires! Great photos and travel notes. Looks like an awesome adventure. Safe travels!
rootsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:21 AM   #15
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 9,877
Looking good!

Two tips for ya:

1) McDonald's has free wifi, when I did my big trip a few years back I either ended every day or started every day at a McD's to check in. If you start the day there it's a good way to get cleaned up, too; if your camping spot doesn't have showers.

2) Jon is kind of an aye-hole

Happy trails!

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote