Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2012, 09:25 PM   #1
elementalg20 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Bandit 1200s vs Weestrom?

Odd comparison, yes I'm sure.

I like the wee for it's upright ergo's, overall roomy, EFI, lots of aftermarket goodies, dirt roads are starting to look cooler but not clue if that'll really happen never mind it's far from a dirt bike lol. Should be super reliable, and inexpensive to run, long range and reasonable on the power side of things. The one I'm looking at has a top case, but that's about it near as I can tell, 11k miles, maint. is current for asking $2995@ dealer.

The bandit reads as follows: 2003 Suzuki 1200s bandit 18,000 miles Yoshimura exhaust can, highway pegs(attached to crash bars) tank bra, new handle bars and heated grips. Three new sprockets, two front and one rear. all new cables, and new rear tire. Seat has gel inserts. It's got some sort of serious bar riser installed to get it upright, thus the new cables. Same price as the wee.

Two very different bikes in my mind, but both should do what I'm after. Comfy 2up afternoon/weekend touring, comfortable solo commuters, and both good for hopping on for a trip the the local grocery store. I'm trying to lean towards the wee for practicality, mpg better, efi, a little less maintenace(not as hard on tires, chains, brakes...or so I tell myself). But I'm sure the stonking power of the bandit would make for a great time. I've not ridden either, so thoughts and opinions are welcome as always. Either way, I think I'm at long last close to being able to pull the trigger and buy something again....just going to have to be cheaper than I hoped for due to cage issues. I'm looking at $3k and less without having to go cross country to get it(I'm in Iowa).

Thanks!

Gone...1998 Triumph Trophy 1200 2000 KTM Adventure 640, 1994 BMW R1100RS, 2002 BMW K1200RS,1999 VFR800, 1996 VFR750, 1985 Maxim X, 198x 250LTD
elementalg20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:42 AM   #2
Blue&Yellow
but orange inside...

Oddometer: 754
If you spend most of your time below 60-70 mph the strom is better, if you like to faster and do sport touring the bandit is better. Simple as that, neither is an offroad or gravel road kind of bike really.

Me personally I'd go for the strom, bandit is good and great engine but I know from experience I have more fun on lighter nimbler bikes.
Blue&Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:13 AM   #3
10/10ths
Road Trip Fool

Oddometer: 879
Get the Bandit....

....both are fantastic machines, but the Bandit is a screamer. The only downside to the Bandit is that it will cost more in gas money to ride.

The Bandit is a better road burner, and is closer to the ground, so if you are short inseam, it's a better fit.

The V-Strom will get better gas mileage and gives great visibility from the high riding position, but walking speed is a little more tricky if you have short legs.

I own a 650 V-Strom and if I did not already own her, I'd buy the Bandit for THAT engine.

Good luck.

Just buy the Bandit, if you don't like her, sell her to me this Fall.

2004 Honda RC51

2011 Suzuki GSX1250FA replaced my '04 Wee 2-14
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:15 AM   #4
Scrivens
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
Up to today I owned a K9 ABS Wee and an 07 Bandit 1250S. Both have been heavily tweaked for touring: different bars, Madstat bracket, soft luggae and top box and so on on the Wee; Rox risers, lowered pegs, Givi touring screen, driving lights, full Givi E41 hard luggage etc on the 1250S. Both have heated grips, handguards, 12V sockets and the usual stuff. In Imperial mpg, the Wee has averaged 65mpg, the Bandit on exactly the same runs, 56mpg. Tyre and chain/sprocket wear is around the same on both, though the Bandit front tyres do wear quicker than the Wee's. Both bikes are almost vibe free, handle well in the twisty stuff and are quite stable at highway speeds. The Bandit does gravel roads surprisingly well too.

Up to a genuine 115kmh the Wee is smooth, quiet, powerful enough and very capable, but over that it doesn't have the poke of a big engine. Up to the same speeds it is also fine with a pillion, but there's not much in reserve for fast overtaking, even dropping a gear and running it up to the redline. It will wind out to about 180kmh, but slower than the Bandit of course - which does that in a few seconds, pillion, full bags or whatever. For snap overtakes at highway speeds, the Wee is not is its element, whereas on the Bandit you have to keep your eye on the speedo as you move out to overtake otherwise you will be at seriously illegal speeds without realising it.

The Bandit is electric smooth, has unbelievable torque right from idle and accelerates like a demon if you feel like it. It is happy to cruise at 2500rpm in top (about 80kmh) if you want to as well. The throttle is not touchy and it is a very civilised bike to live with. I'm 5'11 with long arms and legs and I find it rather a reach to the bars after the Wee (hence the Rox risers), the footrests are more 'sporting' than the Wee and the wind noise, even with the Givi touring screen makes life a misery over 110kmh. I have a very quiet AGV helmet and wear earplugs, btw. (The standard screen sends a fierce wind blast and rain right into your upper chest and face - dreadful.) The Bandit is useless if you take pillions as the footrests are high and the seat slopes so they have a lot of trouble keeping their position on the seat once the roads get twisty or bumpy. None of my regular pillions can hack it in the hills, even my 5' 3" lightweight daughter. The Bandit suspension is a lot harsher too. It is a lovely bike, and amazingly economical but I find it a lot more tiring to ride distances on than the Wee. As a bike it is more relaxed, the engine and exhaust are almost silent at highway speeds, but driving it with the wind noise and marginal weather protection gets tiresome. The seat is appalling as well.

You will love either of them, but personally I'd buy the Wee again. In fact I have sold the pair of them this weekend and will be replacing them with the 2012 Wee. I have saved enough to spend twice a new Wee's purchase price on a new bike, but after looking around for the past 2 months there is nothing else I can think of which is so generally useful at everything as the Wee - and it is a lot lighter than bigger bikes.

Scrivens screwed with this post 02-13-2012 at 04:29 AM
Scrivens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:41 AM   #5
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,775
I despise the wee strom and the bandit is really heavy.

You said 'two-up' so I'll go with the bandit.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:58 AM   #6
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,379
What's the fuel range on the Bandit?
Old 02-13-2012, 08:18 AM   #7
0ldhippie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
I don't really like either? The SVs were great bikes, but I never got the fake dirt bike (tall and funny looking) storms? The bandit's are built to a price, old/low tech and heavy. They are both kinda old school standards and lot of folks love them. Pick the one that fits ya best.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:11 AM   #8
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,816
Head or Heart?

What rules?

If your head, get the DL650

If your heart, get the Bandit

The V-Strom is a great bike, but it is hard to get excited by it.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:01 AM   #9
elementalg20 OP
Studly Adventurer

My heart as pretty well always dictated what bikes I've purchased. The issue with that is I've never owned any of them for a very long time, always a flash in the pan lust affair. It's difficult to find something that I can both love, and live with.....and be cheap lol. I'll keep looking around and see what pops up one never knows.

Gone...1998 Triumph Trophy 1200 2000 KTM Adventure 640, 1994 BMW R1100RS, 2002 BMW K1200RS,1999 VFR800, 1996 VFR750, 1985 Maxim X, 198x 250LTD
Old 02-13-2012, 05:21 PM   #10
10/10ths
Road Trip Fool

Oddometer: 879
Scrivens....

....Thank you for that report---Brilliant!!!!

You have made my day. I actually do "love" my Wee. My RC51 and Ducati Monster fill my need for speed and "character". My Wee is just an amazing machine and I delight taking her on 12 hour rides.

Your report warms my heart. I have now lost my lust for the 1250.

With a good aftermarket windscreen, the "Windstrom Manta" in my case, the Wee is a calm, noise free, buffet free, wonderful long range, cross-country touring machine.

Cheers.

2004 Honda RC51

2011 Suzuki GSX1250FA replaced my '04 Wee 2-14
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:15 PM   #11
Scrivens
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10/10ths View Post
Your report warms my heart. I have now lost my lust for the 1250.
The 1250 is a lovely bike but it's just not suitable for me. I live in the foothills and most of the roads here are steep, narrow and twisty and I do a 200km 'commute' 4 or 5 days a week in all weathers, frequently with a pilion. The real killers with the Bandit are the wind noise and lack of rain protection - the screens are too narrow by about 3" either side unless you get the huge Madstad one - and the high pillion rests. For people who just punt around for 50-100km on fine days then neither is a problem, but for the roads here, especially with a pillion, and for 12hr days on the highway in dirty weather, it is a tiring bike for me to ride. The wind noise isn't buffeting, just the blast around the screen edges hitting the helmet as the calm air 'cockpit' with the 1250S fairing is very narrow. The naked 1250 is a lot quieter to ride on the highway, but you have to live with the wind pressure, bugs and rain at speed.

I've had bikes for well over 40 years and have owned lots - dirt bikes, tourers, sports bikes, (no cruisers), and I always had some variety of Beemer airhead in the garage as my touring mount until I bought the Wee. I put big miles on the Beemers - 250,000 miles (not km) on one - so I've had a bit of experience at what makes a good tourer. As Jon_l said above, the Wee isn't an exciting bike for me, but it isn't a dull one either. It is a lot of fun if you use the throttle hard and push it in the twisty bits and incredibly capable at most things, just like the old airheads. I was hoping to find something else to replace it with just for a change of bike, but nothing I've tried in the last year or so has done the same job without making a lot of compromises.

The fact remains that of all the current mid or larger capacity 'standard' bikes around (60hp and above) the Wee has about the best pillion accommodation and the nicest combination of performance, ergos, weight, lights and touring comfort. The only similar ones that spring to mind are the Bonneville and the W800 Kawasaki, and both of them need substantial additions to make them good all weather tourers as it wasn't their design spec. I grew up riding Brit bikes, CB750 Hondas, Suzuki T500s, Yamaha XS650s, BMWs and similar, so the current sports bike-based riding positions don't suit me; younger riders would consider the 1250S an 'upright' bike and very comfortable compared to most. The 1250 is superb on the highway if you get calm air - as silent as a BMW, smooth and lots of power - but days like that are rare here. The Wee on the other hand can get me home through 3hrs of torrential rain with little more than damp cuffs and can be a real hoot in fine weather.

Scrivens screwed with this post 02-13-2012 at 07:22 PM Reason: typos
Old 02-13-2012, 07:28 PM   #12
Scrivens
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
What's the fuel range on the Bandit?
Depends on what you are doing - highway riding at 65-75mph, about 180 miles to reserve, at illegal speeds about 120-150 depending on just how illegal we are talking about, around town in heavy traffic, perhaps 140. Pottering about at 2500 rpm in top (50mph) on country roads will get you around 200. (This is the 1250S - it gets better mpg than the 1200.)
Old 02-13-2012, 11:38 PM   #13
elementalg20 OP
Studly Adventurer

After doing more reading, it looks like the bandit 1200s is out for me. Too many bad reports from pillion riders. I hope to get my wife more enthused and involved in riding, and a bike that's not reasonably comfortable for her simply will not work. I'm not sure if the wee strom is the bike for me yet either, but it's definately got it's merits. Unfortunately I'm gathering a pretty long list of "maybe's" again but so be it. Not exactly in a rush, but it'd be nice to find "the one". Hard to do on such a tight budget though.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:24 AM   #14
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,375
If passenger comfort is more priority than your ego: Burgman 650 w/backrest, plenty of underseat storage for her crap without extra luggage, used ones can be found under $3k.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:36 AM   #15
elementalg20 OP
Studly Adventurer

Might ego might rank just slightly above passenger comfort I can't bring myself to ride a burgman, maybe when I'm 60....maybe. Right now I'm still shy of 30 yrs old. I'd like to find a light weight easy to live with adv/s-t type bike that is comfortable 2up and fun solo. Tons of bikes will do what I need solo, but so many of them don't offer much in the way of passenger comfort. I might just have to hold off a while a spend some more money as much as I'd like to get something bought while I have this money(I suck at money period).

These are "bigger" bikes than I desire, but something like an R1100RT, ST1100, Trophy 900/1200 might be in order. Maybe even a R11xxR would work ok with a windcreen of some sort, but I hate to buy one because I like the looks and end up turing it into an uglier version of an RT trying to make it comfortable for me. High mile RT's are definately out there for reasonable prices and I don't mind wrenching myself. Tiger could possibly work as well as the Wee/Vee strom's I started this thread looking at. I really wish I could get my hands on a wee strom for a weekend to really judge it for myself. Some people carry a pretty low opinion of them, while others feel they are just short of gold, just goes to show it's your own opinion that really matters but it's difficult to score test rides and a revolving door of bikes is usually not financially viable either.