Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2012, 08:05 AM   #16
GeezerStank
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
This always happens on the Ural threads, some guys don't get the Ural thing, That's fine and really who cares, we all like different stuff. But even if you built a used BMW rig and hack, then what's it cost to put the 2WD and reverse on it? And without those two things it's apples and oranges. That why some of us buy Ural Gear Ups and Patrols, for the 2WD, and reverse is excellent.

Now if you say you don't need or want those things, then yes, a Beemer rig would be fine.
GeezerStank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:31 AM   #17
ShardPhoenix
Наглый ублюдок

Oddometer: 800
Thanks for the response Windmill.

Everything I've read about the Urals, both on forums and just doing regular research indicated you just said, which is why the Ural is a machine that appeals to me. They seem like perfectly functional machines that a shade tree mechanic can work on.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:37 AM   #18
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShardPhoenix View Post
Thanks for the response Windmill.

Everything I've read about the Urals, both on forums and just doing regular research indicated you just said, which is why the Ural is a machine that appeals to me. They seem like perfectly functional machines that a shade tree mechanic can work on.

Whatever you do, don't buy a Ural. You will be very unhappy.

This is my standard line now that the brand has gone mainstream with the likes of Brad Pitt and major retailers getting press about Urals.

I have hated every day of the 6 years I have owned mine and every minute of driving it (while the other bikes gathered dust in the shed) but I did enjoy being seen as an eccentric old crank driving a unique machine that caused attention and smiles everywhere we went.

Now, every Tom, Dick and Harry wants one. That might ruin everything!

Oh, and my dog hates the Ural too, along with my Grandson and everyone who begs for a ride. I hate mine so bad that I intend to keep it until I die and then perhaps remove the sidecar and use it as my coffin..........

Don't buy one, you or you will suffer the same anguish.

You have been warned................

Montague screwed with this post 02-17-2012 at 07:29 AM
Montague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:16 PM   #19
Skidpan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montague View Post

I have hated every day of the 6 years I have owned mine and every minute of driving it (while the other bikes gathered dust in the shed) but I did enjoy being seen as an eccentric old crank driving an unique machine that caused attention and smiles everywhere we went.

Oh, and my dog hates the Ural too, along with my Grandson and everyone who begs for a ride. I hate mine so bad that I intend to keep it until I die and then perhaps remove the sidecar and use it as my coffin..........

Fantastic, pal, couldn't agree more.
Skidpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:22 PM   #20
tattoogunman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 583
Quote:

This is my standard line now that the brand has gone mainstream with the likes of Brad Pitt and major retailers getting press about Urals.

I have hated every day of the 6 years I have owned mine and every minute of driving it (while the other bikes gathered dust in the shed) but I did enjoy being seen as an eccentric old crank driving an unique machine that caused attention and smiles everywhere we went.

Now, every Tom, Dick and Harry wants one. That might ruin everything!

I felt like this when I had my 03 Victory V92C before Victory got popular with the Vegajackhampin models I still plan on getting a Ural when the money permits, Brad Pitt be damned!
tattoogunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:50 PM   #21
ShardPhoenix
Наглый ублюдок

Oddometer: 800
Montague,

Thanks. Got it. My desire to own a Ural has been completely snuffed out. Thanks for showing me the truth!

Old 02-16-2012, 06:03 PM   #22
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,235
Quote:

Now, every Tom, Dick and Harry wants one.
I want my Ural and I resent that statement. Now I'm going out with my buddies Dick and Harry.
Tom

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:05 AM   #23
Norms 427
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShardPhoenix View Post
I think Urals are the type of bikes that speak to some of us in a language others may not understand.
Sometimes, inspired words just tumble out of our mouths ... that really is the crux of Ural ownership.

I just bought a 2012 BMW R1200RT. I love it.

But I'll never sell my Ural. I love it, too. Last summer's trip to Alaska on it was **and probably will always be** the highlight of my 40 years of motorcycling.

My wife pointing toward Turnagain Arm, AK:

Norms 427 screwed with this post 02-17-2012 at 07:29 AM
Norms 427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:12 AM   #24
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeouttaglass View Post
I want my Ural and I resent that statement. Now I'm going out with my buddies Dick and Harry.
Tom
Okay Tom, we can make exceptions for you, Dick and Harry to be part of the UUOC (Unhappy Ural Owner's Club).

But we really need to dissuade anyone else. Please spread the bad word.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:24 PM   #25
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,235
Quote:
Okay Tom, we can make exceptions for you, Dick and Harry to be part of the UUOC (Unhappy Ural Owner's Club).

But we really need to dissuade anyone else. Please spread the bad word.
Not a problem. They suck so bad that I sold my 96 Ural. Now I'm waiting on picking up my 2010 Ural that I'll hate even more.

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:30 PM   #26
GeezerStank
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by madeouttaglass View Post
Not a problem. They suck so bad that I sold my 96 Ural. Now I'm waiting on picking up my 2010 Ural that I'll hate even more.
Whowee, your gonna like the 2010 compared to the 96!!
GeezerStank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:09 PM   #27
Zippydapanhead
Damn kids, get away!

Oddometer: 168
Save A Nickel?

Maybe the Patrol T for less bucks... or a regular T... and 1WD does get you a lower CG and the rear rack is pretty cheezy. I saw a used Gear Up that got a year of snowy, salty roads. The edges on the side car bottom pan did not like it. Pulling the side car and the fenders to do a color matched pick-up bed coating to the bottom of the brand new side car (inside and out... and up the sides about two inches to cover the seam) and the underside of the fenders looks like it has some promise. I think I saw Youtube had a nice video of reshocking of the forks and ass end of the tug and car with a replaced set of off-label side car doughnuts. Roll on three, doggie!
Old 02-17-2012, 07:57 PM   #28
Paint shaker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
How does one join the UUOC?? I just picked mine up today and the dang running light on the rear of the bike quit working...

www.paintshakerracing.com
Paint shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:35 PM   #29
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paint shaker View Post
How does one join the UUOC?? I just picked mine up today and the dang running light on the rear of the bike quit working...
Well the bad news is a 15 year old Ural is bound to have a few crusty electrical connections, but the good news is that the wires connect to the lamp sockets by screw terminals, just snip a 1/4" off the wire and reinstall for a fresh connection, and don't forget a dab of dielectric grease.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:05 AM   #30
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paint shaker View Post
you are now officially UUOC Member # 6, after myself , the OP, and my good friends Tom, Dick and Harry.

A few electrical gremlins are the norm (honorary member #7), mine was a sticky front brake switch, you will sort them out and move forward.

Welcome to Ural Hell, we warned you.