ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2012, 02:17 PM   #46
Tarka
Doesn't wave back.
 
Tarka's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Across the pond.
Oddometer: 1,945
That`s a really nice looking Ural you`ve bought....congrats!

Nice photo too.
__________________
.

I'd only waste my money if I didn`t spend it on all my bikes......
Tarka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:08 PM   #47
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!
 
NortwestRider's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: 3.7 miles North of Hell...SEATTLE....
Oddometer: 3,526
What dealer did you buy it from ??.
__________________
2012 Honda NC700XAR
1990 XT350 Overlander
GS500ADV..THE PURPLE EXPLORE
Facebook..PNW Adventure Riders..Facebook
MY BUILD http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938440
NortwestRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:49 PM   #48
Seattle_Chris OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Seattle WA
Oddometer: 22
Thanks for the nice comments all. I bought it from Ural Northwest. Uralnw.com Really good service by all there.

Just a couple notes for history in case anyone else ends up finding this thread in a search. :)

The color, some say looks blue to them, I don't see it. It's the color that I always EXPECT OD Green to be. It looks VERY military to me. The OD Green is much more yellow and lighter. The white speckling over the top, the fog I think, isn't really noticeable until you're up close looking for it. And I was REALLY concerned about the shifting and transmission in general from reading up on russianiron and other like sites. But it's really not bad at all. It DOES clunk, but in a positive way. And you have to be firm in shifting. Lazy/slow shifting will make it VERY unhappy.

Also I'm REALLY happy I'v driven a lot of beater cars in my day. I don't have any issues with the inputs, but I must say, it IS always doing something. This rig would freak me out if it were my first bike/car. But as it is, it's just a hoot to drive. Can't comment on top speed yet, as I'm a newb, and it's in it's break in period. So I want to take it easy for a while. :) It's VERY different from either car driving or bike riding.

Seattle_Chris screwed with this post 03-04-2012 at 09:00 PM Reason: Adding more stuff.
Seattle_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:58 AM   #49
GeezerStank
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Oddometer: 160
The trans and engine will loosen up a bunch as you get some miles on it. I'm on my first Ural too, and when I first got it I was hoping the trans would get better!! And it has, I'd say around 6000 kms it really started to shift nice, and now at over 10,000 kms it shifts very nice, but it still doesn't like a lazy foot. Now when I come to a stop I can find neutral easily coming down from second gear, that was impossible in the beginning....So they do get way better with some miles, I'm very happy now and it runs like a Swiss watch, well, a Swiss watch with a little sand in it, heheh. I never expected it to be Japanese smooth in operation...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Chris View Post
Thanks for the nice comments all. I bought it from Ural Northwest. Uralnw.com Really good service by all there.

Just a couple notes for history in case anyone else ends up finding this thread in a search. :)

The color, some say looks blue to them, I don't see it. It's the color that I always EXPECT OD Green to be. It looks VERY military to me. The OD Green is much more yellow and lighter. The white speckling over the top, the fog I think, isn't really noticeable until you're up close looking for it. And I was REALLY concerned about the shifting and transmission in general from reading up on russianiron and other like sites. But it's really not bad at all. It DOES clunk, but in a positive way. And you have to be firm in shifting. Lazy/slow shifting will make it VERY unhappy.

Also I'm REALLY happy I'v driven a lot of beater cars in my day. I don't have any issues with the inputs, but I must say, it IS always doing something. This rig would freak me out if it were my first bike/car. But as it is, it's just a hoot to drive. Can't comment on top speed yet, as I'm a newb, and it's in it's break in period. So I want to take it easy for a while. :) It's VERY different from either car driving or bike riding.
GeezerStank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:28 AM   #50
MartyL
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Oddometer: 149
Congratulations!!! That is one sweet looking rig!!!
MartyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:36 AM   #51
Ken202929
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Northwest Arkansas
Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Chris View Post
....The color, some say looks blue to them, I don't see it. It's the color that I always EXPECT OD Green to be. It looks VERY military to me....
They need to adjust their monitors. It's looks like a nice dark shade of OD green to me.
Ken202929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:19 AM   #52
Zippydapanhead
Damn kids, get away!
 
Zippydapanhead's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: the U.S. north coast
Oddometer: 168
Well Done!



I had to look if it was the new Retro-based 2012 Limited Edition until I saw the forks. The lower leg wind deflectors have been nagging at me. Should I keep them unchanged because they're light and would break away if I get weird, or should I use them as a template and fab up thicker metal ones?
__________________
Run Moe, Run... the coyotes are coming!

Zippydapanhead screwed with this post 03-08-2012 at 01:49 PM
Zippydapanhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:34 AM   #53
GeezerStank
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Oddometer: 160
The plastic leg shields are tough, cheap to replace if ever needed, and if you hit a branch or whatever they will give and not break. I'm sure someone could break them, but you'd have to do some serious Ural acrobatics to do it. Metal ones would get bent and stay that way. Try running the plastic ones until they break, gonna be a long time.....There's lots of other neat farkles to spend money on!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippydapanhead View Post


I had to look if it was the new Retro-based 2012 Limited Edition until I saw the forks. The lower leg wind deflectors have been nagging at me. Should I keep them unchanged because they're light and would break away I get weird, or should I use them as a template and fab up thicker metal ones?
GeezerStank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:12 PM   #54
fyr
iRoast Coffee
 
fyr's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Bytowne, Canuckistan
Oddometer: 1,270
Yahoo and congrats!
__________________
"Best thing though, is I can just sit and stare at it with a big fat cigar in my yap and have that shit eatin grin.."
10 Ypan Patrol-07 Bonnie T100-84 R65
fyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:53 PM   #55
Wannabee
Survivor of Reality
 
Wannabee's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Portage ,PA
Oddometer: 2,417
Exactly the color of the rig I am in the process of buying , Forest Fog . Awesome rig , after a couple test rides (damned salesman !) The wife has actually talked me into it !
I am gonna have the car windshield installed as well , and the fairing / windshield on the bike and maybe some other goodies , may as well do it big if she is giveing me permission !
__________________
$$$FULL TILT BOOGIE$$$
Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
Wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:23 AM   #56
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer
 
Wolfgang55's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Next to Rio Bravo
Oddometer: 3,318
Great woman behind every happy Uralman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabee View Post
Exactly the color of the rig I am in the process of buying , Forest Fog . Awesome rig , after a couple test rides (damned salesman !) The wife has actually talked me into it !
I am gonna have the car windshield installed as well , and the fairing / windshield on the bike and maybe some other goodies , may as well do it big if she is giveing me permission !
You sir have indeed have what many men wish for....a woman who has your interest in mind.
Like the Ural, she too must be cared for & shown consideration in tight spots.

Besure to instal a mirror on the car so she can start the newest SO trent......side car driving.
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:18 AM   #57
asrvivor
Rabies Cure ????
 
asrvivor's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Boring! MORE COW BELL
Oddometer: 1,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Chris View Post
Thanks for the nice comments all. I bought it from Ural Northwest. Uralnw.com Really good service by all there.

Just a couple notes for history in case anyone else ends up finding this thread in a search. :)

The color, some say looks blue to them, I don't see it. It's the color that I always EXPECT OD Green to be. It looks VERY military to me. The OD Green is much more yellow and lighter. The white speckling over the top, the fog I think, isn't really noticeable until you're up close looking for it. And I was REALLY concerned about the shifting and transmission in general from reading up on russianiron and other like sites. But it's really not bad at all. It DOES clunk, but in a positive way. And you have to be firm in shifting. Lazy/slow shifting will make it VERY unhappy.

Also I'm REALLY happy I'v driven a lot of beater cars in my day. I don't have any issues with the inputs, but I must say, it IS always doing something. This rig would freak me out if it were my first bike/car. But as it is, it's just a hoot to drive. Can't comment on top speed yet, as I'm a newb, and it's in it's break in period. So I want to take it easy for a while. :) It's VERY different from either car driving or bike riding.

Congrats, I just completed the s/tep class this weekend. I would highly recommend getting in touch with theredmenace and taking his class. It was an absolute blast. I learned way more than expected and have to say the 110 mile ride home was much more pleasant than the 110 mile ride there. Here is Vern the instructor explaining a bit of the course prior to us getting to race around it. This is just one of the many many courses we were able to participate in. It was a great weekend in Hood River and getting to stay in the teepee added a much needed camping element to the weekend. You can use his bikes or bring your own.

__________________
Staring straight into the shining sun....

Just cause I'm wrong, don't make you right / Needtobreathe
Our OBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712724
Our UTBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=816500
asrvivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:08 PM   #58
KLR 650 guy
UralTouristKlr650Guy
 
KLR 650 guy's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Esperance Western Australia
Oddometer: 457
New kid on the block

Hi YA all

well im a now proud owner of a Ural hack .. Just bought mine of Ural of Oz in Nsw and will be transported 3,960 km to get to me .. Pitty OZ done get a 2wd version as our chairs are on the other side .. I had a good read up on Mr Cob an Jacks adventure in Oz and liked it so much I started to look for my first Ural and was goin to buy the basic but a (secondhand) Patrol (middle of range) can up with 5,000km on the clock cheaper than the Cheepie .. I realiy wanted the top of the line Orange camo but had to wait till Feb 2014 :-( .. Mr Cob an Jack need to be the instergators of me buyin one me thinks and I hope to be a good ambassador like them down in my little out of the way town called Esperance Western Australia .. Just got a few add ons to what you see here an that is a tall screen for rider an the leg guards .. Need to find where to get the raised exhaust from as I seen them on the net somewhere ?? any helpers ....

Thanks guys .. :-) :-)





__________________
08 Klr650e is the starting point ..ooo kms ..Kaoko cruz control..Rekluse Clutch..Staintune pipe..
Tall Kawa screen..Cog swapin 14, 15, 16, 42, 43.. Now he has bought a URAL Tourist where to now folks ....
KLR 650 guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:36 AM   #59
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer
 
Barnone's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: WNC SWFL
Oddometer: 3,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR 650 guy View Post
Hi YA all

Need to find where to get the raised exhaust from as I seen them on the net somewhere ?? any helpers
KLR,
Welcome to the Ural world.
Go to http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums/ for more Ural talk.

http://www.racewayservicespaa.com/ur...es-page-1.html
For raised exhaust ideas although the freight might be a deal killer.

Home built high exhaust at http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums/v...p?f=11&t=28215
__________________
Vince @ SWFL or WNC 2001 Kawasaki W650
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB hard tail bobber
2014 Sky Team ST125-8A Z50 clone monkey bike
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P Z50 clone monkey sidecar
2014 Sky Team MC-D34 CT70 clone
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:10 AM   #60
KLR 650 guy
UralTouristKlr650Guy
 
KLR 650 guy's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Esperance Western Australia
Oddometer: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
KLR,
Welcome to the Ural world.
Go to http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums/ for more Ural talk.

http://www.racewayservicespaa.com/ur...es-page-1.html
For raised exhaust ideas although the freight might be a deal killer.

Home built high exhaust at http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums/v...p?f=11&t=28215

Yer I been tryin to get on there but cant get in past the sign up junk ....
__________________
08 Klr650e is the starting point ..ooo kms ..Kaoko cruz control..Rekluse Clutch..Staintune pipe..
Tall Kawa screen..Cog swapin 14, 15, 16, 42, 43.. Now he has bought a URAL Tourist where to now folks ....
KLR 650 guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014