Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2012, 02:17 PM   #46
Tarka
Doesn't wave back.

Oddometer: 1,945
That`s a really nice looking Ural you`ve bought....congrats!

Nice photo too.

I'd only waste my money if I didn`t spend it on all my bikes......
Tarka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:08 PM   #47
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer: 3,526
What dealer did you buy it from ??.
Facebook..PNW Adventure Riders..Facebook
MY BUILD http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938440
NortwestRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:49 PM   #48
Seattle_Chris OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Thanks for the nice comments all. I bought it from Ural Northwest. Uralnw.com Really good service by all there.

Just a couple notes for history in case anyone else ends up finding this thread in a search. :)

The color, some say looks blue to them, I don't see it. It's the color that I always EXPECT OD Green to be. It looks VERY military to me. The OD Green is much more yellow and lighter. The white speckling over the top, the fog I think, isn't really noticeable until you're up close looking for it. And I was REALLY concerned about the shifting and transmission in general from reading up on russianiron and other like sites. But it's really not bad at all. It DOES clunk, but in a positive way. And you have to be firm in shifting. Lazy/slow shifting will make it VERY unhappy.

Also I'm REALLY happy I'v driven a lot of beater cars in my day. I don't have any issues with the inputs, but I must say, it IS always doing something. This rig would freak me out if it were my first bike/car. But as it is, it's just a hoot to drive. Can't comment on top speed yet, as I'm a newb, and it's in it's break in period. So I want to take it easy for a while. :) It's VERY different from either car driving or bike riding.

Seattle_Chris screwed with this post 03-04-2012 at 09:00 PM Reason: Adding more stuff.
Seattle_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:58 AM   #49
GeezerStank
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
The trans and engine will loosen up a bunch as you get some miles on it. I'm on my first Ural too, and when I first got it I was hoping the trans would get better!! And it has, I'd say around 6000 kms it really started to shift nice, and now at over 10,000 kms it shifts very nice, but it still doesn't like a lazy foot. Now when I come to a stop I can find neutral easily coming down from second gear, that was impossible in the beginning....So they do get way better with some miles, I'm very happy now and it runs like a Swiss watch, well, a Swiss watch with a little sand in it, heheh. I never expected it to be Japanese smooth in operation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Chris View Post
Thanks for the nice comments all. I bought it from Ural Northwest. Uralnw.com Really good service by all there.

Just a couple notes for history in case anyone else ends up finding this thread in a search. :)

The color, some say looks blue to them, I don't see it. It's the color that I always EXPECT OD Green to be. It looks VERY military to me. The OD Green is much more yellow and lighter. The white speckling over the top, the fog I think, isn't really noticeable until you're up close looking for it. And I was REALLY concerned about the shifting and transmission in general from reading up on russianiron and other like sites. But it's really not bad at all. It DOES clunk, but in a positive way. And you have to be firm in shifting. Lazy/slow shifting will make it VERY unhappy.

Also I'm REALLY happy I'v driven a lot of beater cars in my day. I don't have any issues with the inputs, but I must say, it IS always doing something. This rig would freak me out if it were my first bike/car. But as it is, it's just a hoot to drive. Can't comment on top speed yet, as I'm a newb, and it's in it's break in period. So I want to take it easy for a while. :) It's VERY different from either car driving or bike riding.
GeezerStank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:28 AM   #50
MartyL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Congratulations!!! That is one sweet looking rig!!!
MartyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:36 AM   #51
Ken202929
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
....The color, some say looks blue to them, I don't see it. It's the color that I always EXPECT OD Green to be. It looks VERY military to me....
They need to adjust their monitors. It's looks like a nice dark shade of OD green to me.
Ken202929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:19 AM   #52
Zippydapanhead
Damn kids, get away!

Oddometer: 168
Well Done!

I had to look if it was the new Retro-based 2012 Limited Edition until I saw the forks. The lower leg wind deflectors have been nagging at me. Should I keep them unchanged because they're light and would break away if I get weird, or should I use them as a template and fab up thicker metal ones?

Zippydapanhead screwed with this post 03-08-2012 at 01:49 PM
Zippydapanhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:34 AM   #53
GeezerStank
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
The plastic leg shields are tough, cheap to replace if ever needed, and if you hit a branch or whatever they will give and not break. I'm sure someone could break them, but you'd have to do some serious Ural acrobatics to do it. Metal ones would get bent and stay that way. Try running the plastic ones until they break, gonna be a long time.....There's lots of other neat farkles to spend money on!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippydapanhead View Post

I had to look if it was the new Retro-based 2012 Limited Edition until I saw the forks. The lower leg wind deflectors have been nagging at me. Should I keep them unchanged because they're light and would break away I get weird, or should I use them as a template and fab up thicker metal ones?
GeezerStank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:12 PM   #54
fyr
iRoast Coffee

Oddometer: 1,270
Yahoo and congrats!
Old 03-08-2012, 02:53 PM   #55
Wannabee
Survivor of Reality

Oddometer: 2,417
Exactly the color of the rig I am in the process of buying , Forest Fog . Awesome rig , after a couple test rides (damned salesman !) The wife has actually talked me into it !
I am gonna have the car windshield installed as well , and the fairing / windshield on the bike and maybe some other goodies , may as well do it big if she is giveing me permission !
Old 05-07-2012, 10:23 AM   #56
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,318
Great woman behind every happy Uralman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabee View Post
Exactly the color of the rig I am in the process of buying , Forest Fog . Awesome rig , after a couple test rides (damned salesman !) The wife has actually talked me into it !
I am gonna have the car windshield installed as well , and the fairing / windshield on the bike and maybe some other goodies , may as well do it big if she is giveing me permission !
You sir have indeed have what many men wish for....a woman who has your interest in mind.
Like the Ural, she too must be cared for & shown consideration in tight spots.

Besure to instal a mirror on the car so she can start the newest SO trent......side car driving.
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:18 AM   #57
asrvivor
Rabies Cure ????

Oddometer: 1,877
Quote:

Congrats, I just completed the s/tep class this weekend. I would highly recommend getting in touch with theredmenace and taking his class. It was an absolute blast. I learned way more than expected and have to say the 110 mile ride home was much more pleasant than the 110 mile ride there. Here is Vern the instructor explaining a bit of the course prior to us getting to race around it. This is just one of the many many courses we were able to participate in. It was a great weekend in Hood River and getting to stay in the teepee added a much needed camping element to the weekend. You can use his bikes or bring your own.

Just cause I'm wrong, don't make you right / Needtobreathe
Our OBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712724
Our UTBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=816500
asrvivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:08 PM   #58
KLR 650 guy
UralTouristKlr650Guy

Oddometer: 457
New kid on the block

Hi YA all

well im a now proud owner of a Ural hack .. Just bought mine of Ural of Oz in Nsw and will be transported 3,960 km to get to me .. Pitty OZ done get a 2wd version as our chairs are on the other side .. I had a good read up on Mr Cob an Jacks adventure in Oz and liked it so much I started to look for my first Ural and was goin to buy the basic but a (secondhand) Patrol (middle of range) can up with 5,000km on the clock cheaper than the Cheepie .. I realiy wanted the top of the line Orange camo but had to wait till Feb 2014 :-( .. Mr Cob an Jack need to be the instergators of me buyin one me thinks and I hope to be a good ambassador like them down in my little out of the way town called Esperance Western Australia .. Just got a few add ons to what you see here an that is a tall screen for rider an the leg guards .. Need to find where to get the raised exhaust from as I seen them on the net somewhere ?? any helpers ....

Thanks guys .. :-) :-)

Old 08-28-2013, 06:36 AM   #59
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR 650 guy View Post
Hi YA all

Need to find where to get the raised exhaust from as I seen them on the net somewhere ?? any helpers
KLR,
Welcome to the Ural world.
Go to http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums/ for more Ural talk.

http://www.racewayservicespaa.com/ur...es-page-1.html
For raised exhaust ideas although the freight might be a deal killer.

Home built high exhaust at http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums/v...p?f=11&t=28215
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P Z50 clone monkey sidecar
2014 Sky Team MC-D34 CT70 clone
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:10 AM   #60
KLR 650 guy
UralTouristKlr650Guy

Oddometer: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
KLR,
Welcome to the Ural world.
Go to http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums/ for more Ural talk.

http://www.racewayservicespaa.com/ur...es-page-1.html
For raised exhaust ideas although the freight might be a deal killer.

Home built high exhaust at http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums/v...p?f=11&t=28215

Yer I been tryin to get on there but cant get in past the sign up junk ....