Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2013, 08:18 PM   #61
UralNorm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR 650 guy View Post
Hi YA all

well im a now proud owner of a Ural hack .. Just bought mine of Ural of Oz in Nsw and will be transported 3,960 km to get to me .. Pitty OZ done get a 2wd version as our chairs are on the other side .. I had a good read up on Mr Cob an Jacks adventure in Oz and liked it so much I started to look for my first Ural and was goin to buy the basic but a (secondhand) Patrol (middle of range) can up with 5,000km on the clock cheaper than the Cheepie .. I realiy wanted the top of the line Orange camo but had to wait till Feb 2014 :-( .. Mr Cob an Jack need to be the instergators of me buyin one me thinks and I hope to be a good ambassador like them down in my little out of the way town called Esperance Western Australia .. Just got a few add ons to what you see here an that is a tall screen for rider an the leg guards .. Need to find where to get the raised exhaust from as I seen them on the net somewhere ?? any helpers ....

Thanks guys .. :-) :-)

Welcome to the Ural world. Your new bike was one of the UralOz bikes on the recent Russian Outback ride, and it certainly ran extremely well. I reckon these bikes should be ridden briskly during the run-in stage, and this bike certainly was. it was one of 10 bikes that each covered 4,000km in 14 days without any problems whatsoever. I recommended it to a mate here in Adelaide, but you beat him to it.
We also have a new Ural forum primarily for Ozzie Uralista: http://uralsinaustralia.freeforums.net/
IF you every ride eastward you are always welcome to stop over here in Adelaide.
Happy riding.........
UralNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:37 AM   #62
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR 650 guy View Post
Hi YA all

well im a now proud owner of a Ural hack .. Just bought mine of Ural of Oz in Nsw and will be transported 3,960 km to get to me .. Pitty OZ done get a 2wd version as our chairs are on the other side .. I had a good read up on Mr Cob an Jacks adventure in Oz and liked it so much I started to look for my first Ural and was goin to buy the basic but a (secondhand) Patrol (middle of range) can up with 5,000km on the clock cheaper than the Cheepie .. I realiy wanted the top of the line Orange camo but had to wait till Feb 2014 :-( .. Mr Cob an Jack need to be the instergators of me buyin one me thinks and I hope to be a good ambassador like them down in my little out of the way town called Esperance Western Australia .. Just got a few add ons to what you see here an that is a tall screen for rider an the leg guards .. Need to find where to get the raised exhaust from as I seen them on the net somewhere ?? any helpers ....

Thanks guys .. :-) :-)

G/day mate,

Howdy KLR 650 guy,

If my antics in Oz, were in any way an inspiration for you buying Ural it gives me great pleasure to hear it. My ride in your wonderful country would never have happened if not for Jock and Jon's generosity, I shall be forever grateful for having had the honor of meeting and riding with them.

If you should ever venture to this side of the big pond and come to the Nor-Wet, do look me up and I'll give a chance to ride a Ural with the two wheel drive. Cheers mate.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:22 PM   #63
boyd32450
Dirt Newbie

Oddometer: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Chris View Post

Weight: Me, my dog, and my motorcycle camping setup weight together easily over 400lbs. Does the Ural have enough Ooomph to get that much weight up into the woods? (Mt. Rainier Natl. Park mostly)
The max weight according to Ural that you can carry is 600 pounds. You should be fine.
Boyd Reeder DoD #115
"Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who didn't."
- Ben Franklin
2013 URAL Gear Up, "Forest Fog"OLGA
boyd32450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:37 AM   #64
KLR 650 guy
UralTouristKlr650Guy

Oddometer: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob View Post
G/day mate,

Howdy KLR 650 guy,

If my antics in Oz, were in any way an inspiration for you buying Ural it gives me great pleasure to hear it. My ride in your wonderful country would never have happened if not for Jock and Jon's generosity, I shall be forever grateful for having had the honor of meeting and riding with them.

If you should ever venture to this side of the big pond and come to the Nor-Wet, do look me up and I'll give a chance to ride a Ural with the two wheel drive. Cheers mate.
Hi ya Mr Cob M8 ....

Your on Mr cob .. But But it won't be for a long time now as I just took out a loan to get this big beast of the motorbike world .. And yes you an Jock are good instergators of me buyin one .. Lol .. Now if your back over here at all then I'm in Western Australia the opposite side of Oz to where you where riding down in a place called Esperance which is about 800 km from Perth in the south eastern corner .. but I may be up Queensland in a couple years anyway so where ever I be my profile will show where I am ....
Old 09-09-2013, 04:54 AM   #65
KLR 650 guy
UralTouristKlr650Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by UralNorm View Post
Welcome to the Ural world. Your new bike was one of the UralOz bikes on the recent Russian Outback ride, and it certainly ran extremely well. I reckon these bikes should be ridden briskly during the run-in stage, and this bike certainly was. it was one of 10 bikes that each covered 4,000km in 14 days without any problems whatsoever. I recommended it to a mate here in Adelaide, but you beat him to it.
We also have a new Ural forum primarily for Ozzie Uralista: http://uralsinaustralia.freeforums.net/
IF you every ride eastward you are always welcome to stop over here in Adelaide.
Happy riding.........
Hi ya Norm ..

Thanks for the invite .. Mmm love to get a few of them outback pixs of it when all where havin fun Outback .. Sorry I didn't see your post till just now .. I will look in on that sight now as I have got onto one other Aussie one (maybe same one) .. Thanks for the heads up Norm ....

Ps I'm a member there Norm (UralTouristKlr650Guy)

KLR 650 guy screwed with this post 09-09-2013 at 05:13 AM
KLR 650 guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:11 AM   #66
boyd32450
Dirt Newbie

Oddometer: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montague View Post
Whatever you do, don't buy a Ural. You will be very unhappy.

This is my standard line now that the brand has gone mainstream with the likes of Brad Pitt and major retailers getting press about Urals.

I have hated every day of the 6 years I have owned mine and every minute of driving it (while the other bikes gathered dust in the shed) but I did enjoy being seen as an eccentric old crank driving a unique machine that caused attention and smiles everywhere we went.

Now, every Tom, Dick and Harry wants one. That might ruin everything!

Oh, and my dog hates the Ural too, along with my Grandson and everyone who begs for a ride. I hate mine so bad that I intend to keep it until I die and then perhaps remove the sidecar and use it as my coffin..........

Don't buy one, you or you will suffer the same anguish.

You have been warned................
I wish I would have read this a couple of weeks ago. I am so depressed. I just bought a Ural last week and I feel terrible. Everywhere I go kids wave at me and give me a thumbs up. People accost me continually asking me what kind of bike this is. I really hate putting my groceries in the hack and having to answer questions about Olga. This never happened with my R1100RT.
Boyd Reeder DoD #115
"Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who didn't."
- Ben Franklin
2013 URAL Gear Up, "Forest Fog"OLGA
boyd32450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:47 AM   #67
nbsdave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Have owned my 2011 T model for just over a month.
Prior to getting the Ural I had never seen one in person, never sat on one, never heard one run.
Have seen 8 (all on dearler's floor) since.
To date I still have never seen one on the road, nor ever heard one run.
All the noises on mine are normal with nothing to compare to!
Have spent many hours servicing, touching up rust (yep, they do rust), and gotten only 900 km on the road.
Would I do it again? Oh, hell yes.
Still have a two wheeler for those days when the urge stikes but the Ural is now my primary ride.
Have learned to leave early when going somewhere to allow for the UDF, and it does happen. Until I got her, I never realized how many people know me-everybody waves and smiles.
nbsdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:12 AM   #68
vetsurginc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbsdave View Post
Have owned my 2011 T model for just over a month.
Prior to getting the Ural I had never seen one in person, never sat on one, never heard one run.
Have seen 8 (all on dearler's floor) since.
To date I still have never seen one on the road, nor ever heard one run.
All the noises on mine are normal with nothing to compare to!
Have spent many hours servicing, touching up rust (yep, they do rust), and gotten only 900 km on the road.
Would I do it again? Oh, hell yes.
Still have a two wheeler for those days when the urge stikes but the Ural is now my primary ride.
Have learned to leave early when going somewhere to allow for the UDF, and it does happen. Until I got her, I never realized how many people know me-everybody waves and smiles.
Keep ridin' central FL and you should see some

If ya get a chance to make it to Holopaw Gene's Ural rally in November you will meet a bunch.

If you haven't checked out SovietSteeds.com give it a look. Good site to hook up with other Florida hackers
Gustav, 2010 BMW RT
vetsurginc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:53 PM   #69
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,334
Welcome to do a ride along

Bring your new to you Ural up to Jax this coming Sat.
We are having a GS ride after the CADS (DS riding group) are putting on a bit of a DS learning period from 10am to 12 noon.
There is a free lunch too all from the BMW dealer on Wells Rd in Orange Park.

I'm riding sweep during the afternoon ride. Mainly to help the BMW chaps pick up their big & small GS's.
You'd be most welcome to ride ahead of me & Carson. It would be neat to have 2 Urals helping out the BMWs. It will be a spirited ride & a lot of fun.

If nothing else you'll learn a bit about your Ural.
I have done a few of these GS (BMW) & they are never boring.

PM, if interested.
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 04:18 AM   #70
KLR 650 guy
UralTouristKlr650Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd32450 View Post
I wish I would have read this a couple of weeks ago. I am so depressed. I just bought a Ural last week and I feel terrible. Everywhere I go kids wave at me and give me a thumbs up. People accost me continually asking me what kind of bike this is. I really hate putting my groceries in the hack and having to answer questions about Olga. This never happened with my R1100RT.
I hear ya Boyd .. I'm in the same boat with never gettin any me time as Missie (my blue heeler dog) is with me 24/7 and theses people comin up all the time naggin me .. Yep I think I'm goin mad like the rest .. Lol ....

Sent to where ever I like .. Lol ....
Mostly on IPad with tap talk ....
Old 02-02-2014, 10:17 AM   #71
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,230
Howdy All and G/day to you blokes down under,

You poor saps that have wasted your hard earned money on a Ural, I sure hope you enjoy smellin the rose's as at the speed these contraptions travel you'll be doing lots of it, and the pestering you'll get from folks wanting to know not what year but what decade the darn thing was made in gets old after a while, if you have a dog better get used to it jumping at the sound of the keys being shaken, DON'T ever go someplace where there are other people and plan on leaving when you thought you would everyone wants a ride, ah yes the UDF curse and a curse it is if your an introvert.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 04:04 PM   #72
KLR 650 guy
UralTouristKlr650Guy

Quote:

You poor saps that have wasted your hard earned money on a Ural, I sure hope you enjoy smellin the rose's as at the speed these contraptions travel you'll be doing lots of it, and the pestering you'll get from folks wanting to know not what year but what decade the darn thing was made in gets old after a while, if you have a dog better get used to it jumping at the sound of the keys being shaken, DON'T ever go someplace where there are other people and plan on leaving when you thought you would everyone wants a ride, ah yes the UDF curse and a curse it is if your an introvert.
Good afternoon to Mr Cob or is that nite .. Lol .. Yes it is gettin that way .. Can't seem to know what the next day will bring with all these people wondering round lookin as if there is everything wrong with me or my bike an then when I say it is a 2013 they walk away quicker than a scolded cat .. ;-) .. ..

Old 02-02-2014, 11:24 PM   #73
UralNorm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:

G'day Mr Cob

If you were lucky enough to be a local we'd call you cobber, and maybe, just for you, Mr Cobber. Ya right, it's tuff riding a Ural in Oz, it's so hard I had it buy a second bike, Squib, a 2010 Tourist, that did a lap of Oz in 2012. Now I have to deal with twice the "problem".
UralNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:32 AM   #74
KLR 650 guy
UralTouristKlr650Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by UralNorm View Post
G'day Mr Cob

If you were lucky enough to be a local we'd call you cobber, and maybe, just for you, Mr Cobber. Ya right, it's tuff riding a Ural in Oz, it's so hard I had it buy a second bike, Squib, a 2010 Tourist, that did a lap of Oz in 2012. Now I have to deal with twice the "problem".
Haa haa haa you is a sucker for punishment .. Haa haa haa .....