Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2015, 05:21 AM   #1
ggemelos OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
Question Should we take the same bike for RTW trip?

My wife and I are gearing up for a multi-year motorcycle trip, hopefully RTW. This has been a long time dream and therefore endlessly researched. We are planning on kicking off the trip in early July. We had been debating two-up or two bikes for a while, but just recently decided to take two bikes. I already have a WR250R which I have pretty much modified as a light adventure bike. The only remaining thing I would consider doing to it is replacing the suspension, but I am inclined to go with stock suspension. Unfortunately, the WRR is too tall for my wife. She is 5'2" and a lowered CRF250L is probably the tallest and best suited bike we can think of for her. So here is the question, should I swap out my WRR for a CRF as well? People say it is better to be on the same bike to save on tools and part. Not sure how much we would save on tools, but the parts makes sense. On the other hand, it would cost me a lot more money to get rid of my WRR and setup a second CRF as an adventure bike. I have also heard the subframe on the WRR is stronger than the CRF and since my wife is still a newish rider, I will be carrying the majority of our gear on my bike. Any thought?
Old 03-11-2015, 07:10 AM   #2
shrederscott
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 558
Lower a wrr for her

Ride on

scott
shrederscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 07:44 AM   #3
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 6,108
While I've never done this, I'd agree with using the same bikes, whatever that bike is. Lowering one for her seem easy enough.

good luck

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 07:52 AM   #4
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,358
End of discussion
Old 03-11-2015, 09:11 AM   #5
ggemelos OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
While I've never done this, I'd agree with using the same bikes, whatever that bike is. Lowering one for her seem easy enough.

good luck
Thanks for the replies. I have really looked into lowering a WRR. I cannot lower it enough for her to feel comfortable riding it. At the start of this trip she will still be a beginner rider and being able to tip-toe both feet is a huge comfort to her. Maybe when she has more experience with a tall bike she would feel comfortable with something like a WRR, but probably not right now.

Would it be better if we were both on Yamahas, the fuel injected XT250 would also work for her?
Old 03-11-2015, 10:17 AM   #6
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 6,108
Tough questions... Does she have a bike now?

I suppose selling yours and getting two XT's are doable depending on your situation. But I don't think I'd financially go that route for the sake owning the same bikes.

If I was happy with a WR, I'd probably keep it and get her the XT.

Another thought aside from the bikes... is her riding ability up to being in some strange places with crazy driving rules, or no rules at all.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 10:49 AM   #7
ggemelos OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
Tough questions... Does she have a bike now?

I suppose selling yours and getting two XT's are doable depending on your situation. But I don't think I'd financially go that route for the sake owning the same bikes.

If I was happy with a WR, I'd probably keep it and get her the XT.

Another thought aside from the bikes... is her riding ability up to being in some strange places with crazy driving rules, or no rules at all.
Her current bike is a GS500. The question about her ability for this trip is what had us debating going two-up for so long. What convinced us to go with two bikes is that the trip is going to be so long that while she might feel limited at first, she will pick up experience and we will have more freedom later on in the trip than if we went two-up. The first leg of our trip is from New York City to San Francisco. The plan is to take our time and take back roads. On our way south from the Bay Area, we are meeting up with a friend of mine that is an off-road instructor. She will participate in a couple day course that he does. In the end, we will just make sure to always ride within her comfort zone.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:00 AM   #8
motoreiter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,265
Well, she sounds like a real sport, so good luck with everything.

While it would be ideal to go on the same bike, I think it is more important--indeed most important--that both of you are comfortable on, and confident in, whatever bikes you're riding. Doesn't matter how many spare parts you don't have to carry if she is too scared to ever be confident on a bike that is too big, or you are scrunched up on some bike small enough for her.

So in this case I'd probably go with different bikes.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:19 AM   #9
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 9,405
Do the WR and CRF have the same size tires/tubes? Since that is the biggest spare you might carry, it would be good if both would fit.

You probably won't need any parts for the Honda. After all, its a Honda.

Good call with the first leg being in country. It should add a level of comfort to build confidence before heading into the unknown.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:45 AM   #10
Mark Manley
On my way

Oddometer: 789
I prefer the idea of taking two the same but two bikes with matching tyre sizes is a good start, it is my experience that a 21" front wheel is not essential and have met people who have had 18" rims fitted front and rear to standardise sizes and lower their bikes, something to consider.

A good resource here http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/ and good luck with your planning and trip, it is a great world out there.

"You've got to think for yourselves! You're all individuals!"-Brian of Nazareth
Mark Manley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 12:24 PM   #11
ggemelos OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for all the great feedback. All three bikes have the same tire size, 21" front and 18" back. Funny thing is, like most decisions we have spent time (maybe too much) thinking about, we will probably have a great time regardless of our choice.