User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2014, 12:13 AM   #1
Wudnabob OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Getting Going

I have only been on two solo trips of any time, 1 week and 1 month. both have been mostly poorly planned, but so much fun.
my first trip ever came when i went with my dad to Tennessee before i shipped myself off to merchant marine academy. we had a fantastic time. having a friend in Tennessee who knew the roundabouts as well as some random non riding activities made this adventure fun and abstract, but with a sort of regiment about them. In this trip i grew closer to my father and discovered, though only scratched, the possibility of motorcycles trips. at this time i was 17, i had gotten my license a year prior but would be retiring to a school where motorcycles are forbidden.
about 4 years later, i broke my leg at school and was forced to take 11 months off. it was pretty awful, i went to live my parents in Bahrain for a couple months, then traveled through Malaysia, Thailand and Singapore, then back to Bahrain and home. i say this in jest as my job is to travel, but not experience any of the fun of the culture. to this day Thailand is my favorite place as long as you stay away from any place you have heard of.
despite al of this on one of my trips home i bought a BMW F800 GS Adventure. having ridden cruisers on all of my other trips, i wanted something to go further, whether i wanted to or not. so i bought the bike and went to sea. for 5 months i sat planning and looking at pictures of my bike and the journey ahead of me. but when i got home something changed.
i dont know if it as to do with the nature of my job, being away all of the time then back for a little, but i couldn't leave.
There was something of laziness and conformity that was keeping me from going. i was fine with just staying home, even though i had planned all of this travel and seeing the world. i was fine with just sitting in my room watching the world go on. then at one point i decided it wasn't enough.
i needed a new helmet and that was the first/last step to get my journey going. i rode 400 miles to daytona beach and back to buy a new shoei r1200. not even the helmet i wanted, but the one they had. i rode home dead tired thinking about starting my journey.
the next day i was still undecided, but i woke up early and decided that the worst thing tat could happen is me staying in a hotel and coming back the next day. that was it. once i was 100 miles down the road all else drifted, i was going to nova scotia. maybe there is some security in knowing you can turn back, but for the most of us even a start is all you need. pack you bags and leave. if you want to come back, but you don't need to and that is the difference.
obvious this doesn't apply to people who make the road their life, but i thought it would be a small incite to those who wish to travel just a bit.
also if you ar in gainesville, FL give me a shout

cheers,