User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2014, 05:29 AM   #1
DreadGear OP
Uptight Hooligan

Oddometer: 22
Mongol Rally 2015 - 125cc choice

Hello there! A friend of mine has convinced me to sign up to the Mongol Rally next year He wants to take a car, I told him i'd gladly go as long as I can take a bike. I ride a DR 650 here in SA.

The limitation for the rally is 125 cc and car under 1L. Why? Because it's a stupid idea and that's the point! So I need to pick a bike

Current selection;

Honda
XL 125 Varadero
NX 125 Transcity
NXR 125
GN 125
CG 125
CLR 125 Cityfly
XLR 125
XR125L
XL 125
CBF 125
CBR 125

Suzuki
DR 125SE
RV 125 Van Van

Yamaha
YBR 125
XT 125 r
TDR 125
WR 125
DT 125

Kawasaki
Klx 125

Derbi
Terra adventure

MZ
ETZ 125
TS Alpine 125

So far I've ruled out all the two strokes because reliability and maintenance will be an issue. The CG, XR, CL 125, YBR, Van Van, Derbi Terra have all gone managed to get to finish line of the Mongol rally and are known reliables. However I want something more.. Which leaves the Honda Varadero.

Expensive - Yes
Heavy - Yes
Reliable - Probably
Confortable - Yes
Fast - No
Faster than a Van Van? - Yes
Good off road- No
Better than a CBR? - Yes

It is cheating a bit because it's big, can cruise at 70 mph-ish, is comfortable and has twin cylinder but as far as I know no one has done the Mongol Rally on a Varadero so this might be the time to try! Thoughts? Opinions?
Old 08-30-2014, 03:49 PM   #2
imreallyhighup
n00b

Oddometer: 1
I think it's possible... and would be a great time.
imreallyhighup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:00 AM   #3
Mark Manley
On my way

Oddometer: 649
I would go for the XR125L, I headed that way on one last year and despite the engine blowing up in Azerbaijan due to abuse and poor maintenance by a previous owner it was a good choice. The seat and riding position are as comfortable as my R80GS, the 12 litre tank allows a good range, the light weight allows even me to have fun and manage easily on the rough and the pushrod engine is (usually) very reliable.
I have since bought another one and hope to complete the trip in a couple of years.

"You've got to think for yourselves! You're all individuals!"-Brian of Nazareth

Mark Manley screwed with this post 08-31-2014 at 12:04 AM Reason: more info
Mark Manley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 02:45 PM   #4
DreadGear OP
Uptight Hooligan

Thanks for your replies!

The x-arr would be the best choice imo, but it's been done before and I'm not sure it could keep up with my mates who are driving a car?

What did you do when the engine blew up?
Old 09-01-2014, 01:25 PM   #5
Mark Manley
On my way

Oddometer: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadGear View Post

What did you do when the engine blew up?
After speaking nicely to Azerbaijan customs they let me leave it at the port in Baku, officially it went to Kazakhstan but I think the customs officer took it home.

"You've got to think for yourselves! You're all individuals!"-Brian of Nazareth
Mark Manley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 02:44 PM   #6
DreadGear OP
Uptight Hooligan

That's a shame though. At least you didn't struggle to bring it back home.

I'm considering a DT 125 for the Rally, taking a two stroke halfway around the world sounds like a great idea!
Old 09-08-2014, 10:45 AM   #7
LC4Dakar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 593
Which route are you taking?
It will be hard to keep up with cars in Europe and Russia.
If you take one of the southern routes the roads will be fast until half way through Serbia, then pick speed up again in Turkey. From Georgia and the Stans on they slow way down.
You will want to have dirt tires on it once you hit the Stans, unless you take the northern route through Russia and go into Mongolia at Sukhbaatar.

1960 Lotus 7 (hey, it's a 4 wheel motorcycle!)
1953 Matchless G80 trials
LC4Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 01:01 PM   #8
ta-rider
Returned from Africa

Oddometer: 134
Hi,

I would use a cheap Yamaha XS 125 or so, as you will give it away at the end of the trip, right? Those old 125er bikes you can get in Germany for just 400 Euro.

Have fun!!!
ta-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 12:05 AM   #9
alicethomas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
Or - to try something different - a scooter.
Scooters are usually underestimated, but have already been successful in the Paris-Dakar Rallye and serving in the military.
alicethomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 12:10 PM   #10
scubabiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
i would suggest the varadero, i work for a motorcycle shop, never had to fix one, they are nice to ride, big, work alright offroad, parts are easy to get and they are built very well, my sister in law has one that has been well used, the traffic schools here use them too and never have any problems with them. the xr is another good choice, but lacks the power that the varadero makes (ps. the varadero has the same engine as the shadow)
Old 09-17-2014, 04:40 AM   #11
DreadGear OP
Uptight Hooligan

Thanks for all the advice!

I'll pass on the scooter haha though nice, I want to ride a real bike!

Ok so some friends of mine have decided I should do it on a two stroke ^^, something like the DT 125 or TDR 125. Main reason is for the power, but mpg is rubbish and will have to do a complete engine rebuild..

Varadero is always on the back of my mind, especially as I plan to bring the bike back to the UK, DT sounds like a bad choice but might be fun.

I'm currently looking at taking the souther route via Turkey but was hoping on going back into Russia via Gergia and back into Kazahkstan. Issue is I will need a multiple entry business visa for Russia. Might have to do the stans after all, was hoping on avoiding the ferry (way overpriced ).

Need to do more research.. Am planning on buying the bike in the UK in December (I live in South Africa)
Old 09-17-2014, 08:48 AM   #12
LC4Dakar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 593
If you aren't an American you can go through Iran and Turkmanistan and not deal with the ferry.
I would think again about a 2 stroke. 7,000 to 9,000 miles? A lot of oil to carry and find. Longevity of the motor could be an issue, too.

Get a dual entry visa for Russia anyway. If you have to change routes unexpectedly it can be a trip saver. It was for us.
1960 Lotus 7 (hey, it's a 4 wheel motorcycle!)
1953 Matchless G80 trials
LC4Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 01:08 PM   #13
DreadGear OP
Uptight Hooligan

Signed up!

I've officially signed up to the Mongol Rally 2015! Our team is "The Quest for Derek" on an epic adventure to find Derek the Holy Goat in Mongolia!

My steed will most likely be the trusted Varadero 125!

I will be creating a new thread in the months to come on the trip and bike preparation!

Cheers all!
Old 10-15-2014, 08:50 PM   #14
Mainjet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
I would consider a fuel injected bike.
A bit more power at altitude (no messing around with the jetting).
Apart from that just go

Will be a blast
Kim
Mainjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 03:26 AM   #15
DreadGear OP
Uptight Hooligan

This is a great/bad idea!

So after having determined what would be the best bike to do the Mongol rally, I've now decided to opt for what might be the worst bike possible.. An RS 125

For those who don't know what an RS 125 is, it's looks like this:

Yes it is a two-stroke super bike..

The reason I'm most likely going to be doing the rally on an RS 125 is because I'm very influenceable and not very smart.
Also a friend of mine restores these bikes and has one going spare which he would like to adventurize for the rally. He seems to think it's the ideal adventure bike, I beg to differ.
But anyways the plan is to put some knobbly tires on, remove the fairing, put a round headlight, some straight handlebars, carry around 15 litres of oil and go to Mongolia!

The one he's offered me looks like this (the one on the left without an engine):

Looks perfect doesn't it?

This is definitely a bad idea but arriving in Mongolia on a superbike sounds like quite a lot of fun!

Does anyone want to see some updates of the build? I will post if there is some interest.

DreadGear screwed with this post 10-30-2014 at 03:39 AM
DreadGear is offline   Reply With Quote