User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2015, 08:55 AM   #1
2smoker119 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Work Commuting

Does anyone ride their dual sports to work? I have a wr250r with no storage and I dress business professional or business casual. I want to ride my bike when it gets warmer, any tips for keeping clothes in good condition? Again, I don't have storage on my bike or at work. I'm not worried about protection either. Thanks.
2smoker119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:42 AM   #2
alicethomas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 454
Without any storage - at least for helmet and raingear - it will be difficult.
Consider riding a scooter. ;)
For daily errands, I too prefer a scooter over my Husqvarna.
alicethomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:48 AM   #3
Voigtlander912
Stromtrooper

Oddometer: 16
I ride my DL650 to work everyday with exception of deep Winter. I pick up pizza, carry tires sometimes, but my side cases are so large they act like a speed break.
Attached Images

Voigtlander912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:51 AM   #4
cyberdos
Easy Bonus Loop

Oddometer: 26,655
Been commuting on the bike for over 6 years straight now. Without storage, it's tough for sure. When the weather is nice the stich over the work clothes works OK but it'll get wrinkled. When it's super hot or cold the best thing to do is to have your work clothes in a backpack and change in a bathroom stall. Handicapped stalls work great.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:01 AM   #5
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,873
If you have a rack, install a Givi universal plate and use a large JC Whitney top case. Take the top case off when you aren't commuting/don't need it. The universal plate isn't offensive. For added safety, replace the white backer behind the JC Whitney red lens with SOLAS tape. The entire system is inexpensive, and works well. . ..

http://www.advdesigns.com/gimounfitk...FUwV7AodsSIAwg

http://www.jcwhitney.com/p2010969/sku-346517.jcwx

NoVa Rider screwed with this post 01-15-2015 at 03:45 PM
NoVa Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 11:47 AM   #6
HeadShrinker
Lost for a Reason

Oddometer: 1,452
Bring your office clothes to work in a garment bag--enough for a week or so. It shouldn't be that bad to ride with it one of those days--or choose to drive that day, bringing your stash of well pressed clothes to work.
HeadShrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 11:49 AM   #7
cyberdos
Easy Bonus Loop

Oddometer: 26,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadShrinker View Post
Bring your office clothes to work in a garment bag--enough for a week or so. It shouldn't be that bad to ride with it one of those days--or choose to drive that day, bringing your stash of well pressed clothes to work.
This is a great idea but he says he's got no storage at work.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:51 PM   #8
2smoker119 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Yeah I do not have storage, I guess I could just hang up a garment bag in my cube if I had to.

I wouldn't worry about rain, I would check the weather and if there was a chance I would just drive my car. I just WANT to ride my bike some.

Thanks for the replies.
2smoker119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 01:11 PM   #9
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 9,002
A lady in my office building rides her Harley to work often during good weather, and she only has a small tailbag. She puts her work clothes in there (and she dresses sharp!) then just changes in/out of riding gear. She even brings high heel shoes.

You don't even have to spend a bunch of money on the tailbag. Buy a soft sided cooler at the thrift store, and tie in down on the back of the bike.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:04 AM   #10
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,720
There are plenty of us commuters, and many on dual sports. One fellow I park next to commutes on a XT225 daily, even though he has had Ducati Monster as a second bike for a while.

Your choice is to wear your good clothes beneath a rain suit or other outer-wear, vs rolling the good clothes up in a small duffel or something else waterproof, strap the roll to the back of the bike, and then change at work.

While you mentioned having no storage, I'm sure you could find somewhere for a small duffle. If nothing else, get a top box and a locking bicycle cable. The top box can hold the clothes and the cable is to lock your helmet and jacket (through a sleeve) over the instruments while you are at work. Here's a photo of us locking up two jackets and helmets.
Old 01-19-2015, 04:18 PM   #11
Yard Sale
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
I commute on a WR250X, wearing overpants over my work pants. Shoes/socks/belt in the tail bag. Take off gloves, helmet, jacket, boots, and overpants in the morning, store them in my cube.
Yard Sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 04:24 PM   #12
Firestone
RFVC Adventurer

Oddometer: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yard Sale View Post
I commute on a WR250X, wearing overpants over my work pants. Shoes/socks/belt in the tail bag. Take off gloves, helmet, jacket, boots, and overpants in the morning, store them in my cube.
I wear my work suitable clothes under my riding gear. Stow the gear under my cubicle desk during work hours. I can't fit my gear in storage.. the kevlar stuff is too bulky!
Old 01-20-2015, 06:47 AM   #13
lakota
Geeser

Oddometer: 3,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
I wear my work suitable clothes under my riding gear. Stow the gear under my cubicle desk during work hours.
Ditto
IBA #42016

my ride reports

follow my ride

lakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 05:27 PM   #14
giganova
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
Can you mount a Caribou Case? They are relatively cheap and the 25l top box is perfect for me (cloths, shoes, laptop...). If not, a backpack should do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
giganova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 01:26 PM   #15
Deckyon
The Raven

Oddometer: 235
I originally bought my motorcycle for commuting first. I have only recently discovered I can do some light adv riding with it. I have been having a blast on it and cannot wait for it to get a bit warmer and dryer. I have a good messenger bag that stays put and has a huge reflective stripe. It is a TimBuk2 bag. I have a motorcycle backpack, but it has no padding for electronics.

Deckyon is offline   Reply With Quote