Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2015, 10:43 AM   #1
Mastery OP
Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer: 1,260
Miscellaneous "going camping" questions

Few miscellaneous camping questions:

1. When parking out in a field, are you using the center stand or the side stand (with a puck or cardboard or something)? Had any problems with rainstorms in the middle of the night and keeping the bike upright whichever way you chose?

2. Seems like a lot of people are putting their clothes into a dry bag versus their panniers. Curious as to if there is a specific reason...are your panniers leaking or is it for the convenience of having them in a bag? I have removable bags in my panniers so just trying to figure out if others found one way works out better than the other. At a motel, the panniers come into the room just like my dry bags.

3. Also noticed a lot of people using a one or two dry bag on their rear racks instead of a top case. Curious as to whether you left your top case at home and just used another dry bag...and if so, why, if other than more room in a dry bag.

4. Thinking about strapping my 1 gallon Rotopax to my passenger seat grab handles with Rok straps. Maybe with a towel under the container to protect the seat some. I'd throw a dry bag with camping gear over the top of it and strap it down as well. Anybody see a problem with this configuration (static electricity, more chance to actually leak, etc)? On a 07 DL650 if that matters or not.

Miscellaneous questions that have been on the back of my mind. Finally decided to see what the experts here think.

Mastery screwed with this post 02-12-2015 at 10:49 AM
Mastery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 11:16 AM   #2
Motomantra
Registered Lurker

Oddometer: 1,302
I always part it on the side stand, paying close attention to how firm the ground is & which way the wind is going. I think it's more stable on the side stand & there's less weight on it than the center stand. I have a Nelsen-Rigg half cover I take with me both for weather & a little security.

I use dry bags because it's quick & easier to take my clothes with me. I don't remove my panniers most of the time & I don't have liners.

I'm still waffling back & forth over the top box. When it's on I use it for quick access items. When it's off I have more room for dry bags. Jury's still out on top box or not.

I haven't carried extra gas, yet. I'm going to try using cheap saddle bags in front of the metal ones to carry fuel.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:20 AM   #3
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 4,772
1. Never center stand. With the weight of my packed FJR and the tires sinking, no way to get it on the centerstand anyway.

I use a plastic disc about 4x4x 1/8in and put it under the sidestand. I have attached a string to it and put it around the grip/lever. When I get back on the bike, I can now pick up the disc by the string. It goes in a tankbag side pocket.

2. Everything in panniers for me. Or strapped to the outside if I have a passenger with more stuff.

3. More room. I currently use a trunk but am considering a large dry bag. I like the trunk though as it has the same key as ignition and it's just easy and convenient to use.

4. Don't see a problem but I'd strap it to the rear rack instead and put the duffle on top of it.

FYI, had a 07 Strom and put 100k kms on it.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 12:34 PM   #4
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 8,536
Let's see..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastery View Post
1. When parking out in a field, are you using the center stand or the side stand (with a puck or cardboard or something)? Had any problems with rainstorms in the middle of the night and keeping the bike upright whichever way you chose?
When I have a choice (flat ground) I always prefer to use the centre-stand, with some wood slipped underneath it to distribute the weight.

Quote:
2. Seems like a lot of people are putting their clothes into a dry bag versus their panniers. Curious as to if there is a specific reason...are your panniers leaking or is it for the convenience of having them in a bag? I have removable bags in my panniers so just trying to figure out if others found one way works out better than the other. At a motel, the panniers come into the room just like my dry bags.
All that's really important to me is balancing the load, and trying to make sure that when I stop to camp, I'm not digging through three different bags to pitch the tent. When it comes to a hotel, they all come in.

Quote:
3. Also noticed a lot of people using a one or two dry bag on their rear racks instead of a top case. Curious as to whether you left your top case at home and just used another dry bag...and if so, why, if other than more room in a dry bag.
I dislike topcases because for most of the time they're empty (so you can stash your lid and other crap in them during a stop) and I'd rather not haul around air. I get a lot more use out of my dry bag (I use a north face 50 or 60l bag) both on and off the bike.

Quote:
4. Thinking about strapping my 1 gallon Rotopax to my passenger seat grab handles with Rok straps. Maybe with a towel under the container to protect the seat some. I'd throw a dry bag with camping gear over the top of it and strap it down as well. Anybody see a problem with this configuration (static electricity, more chance to actually leak, etc)? On a 07 DL650 if that matters or not.
I carry my "spare" fuel in my petrol tank ;p
Guns don't kill people, people kill people but people with guns manage to kill more people than people without.
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:51 PM   #5
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 8,745
The side stand with a puck under it is a better bet. To make a center stand stable on soft ground, you would need a pretty large panel under it.

The advantage of a bag over vs top box is length. I can fit a regular tent in a duffel bag, but not in the box. If I'm going grocery shopping or something, the box is better.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 02:09 PM   #6
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 13,092
I use a blank steel cover from an electrical box under my side stand. I have a string on it, looped around my mirror.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Steel-Cit...-202590486-_-N

The top box is nice for the laptop, breakables or any number of things. I've traveled with dry bags and I've traveled with top boxes. I say use what you got and be happy.

As for how I pack, I try to do a "last-in, first-out" pack, with tools at the bottom of a side case. With any luck, they'll stay there (but often don't). I generally don't carry my hard cases inside if I'm hoteling it, unless the neighborhood is exceptionally sketchy or I want to re-organize things for some reason.

For extra fuel, I'm not above lashing a 2-gallon plastic can onto a pannier. My new-to-me bike doesn't have strap loops on the side cases, but the passenger seat comes off and leaves a nice cargo area. A fuel can would fit there nicely. I've got about 200 miles max range without extra fuel.

I carry a 10-foot dog tie-out cable that I've removed the ends from for stringing through my jacket and helmet when I stop for lunch or whatnot. I use a cheap Master lock with it, and loop it through part of the bike and the loops on my tank bag. It mostly just keeps honest people honest.

John

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
Another '98 DR350 for sale http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1036981
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 05:16 PM   #7
shu

Oddometer: 999
Whether I am using hard cases or soft bags, I always use liner bags. Another layer of weather protection, and really makes it more convenient to get at your stuff, and to move your stuff.

Left side case: clothing, toothbrush, etc.in a liner ready to lift out and take in tent or motel room.

Right side case: tools, parts, spare tubes, food and stove. Packed in a liner bag, easy to take in for security if necessary, otherwise it just stays on the bike.

Waterproof duffel across the back rack: sleeping bag, tent, poles, mat and other low usage items (like the electric vest I wore crossing the plains in winter on my way to Mexico- no longer needed down south.) If I camp, all the necessary gear for setting up is in here together. Again, if there are no security issues I can just leave the whole bag on the bike.

I don't like top boxes much, they fall off, pop open, are breakable, sit too high, and are ugly. (IMHO, of course). I've seen them lying in ditches along the roadside and taped more than one back together after a spill.

Tank bag or tank panniers hold my extra gloves, balaclava, rainpants, and water.

As for the centerstand vs sidestand- always the sidestand for me. Centerstand is good for chain maintenance and tire changes, but I don't trust them out of my sight.

...............shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 05:33 AM   #8
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,713
Parking
I enlarged the sidestand foot. Somewhere in the campsite there'll be a spot that's tilted up to the left a little so the bike isn't leaned too hard on the foot but not too upright either. I'm sure you ride enough to know what tilt or level is right for your bikes.

But the bike with the enlarged sidestand foot doesn't have a centerstand. When camping on a bike with centerstand I still use the sidestand and find something to put under the foot. I've rarely had trouble finding something. It can be a long stick -- it doesn't have to be roundish.

And I've never had a bike fall in camp, but I'm not sure I've camped where the whole area is too soft. Too many memories of waking up in a flooded area from my Boy Scouting days.

Waterproof
My Pelican Storm cases are waterproof so clothes go in plain stuff sacks. My soft panniers are not waterproof so the inside bags need to keep clothes dry.

Tail luggage
I have used a dry bag across the back seat and rack, but I prefer a case if I want the volume or nothing back there if I don't.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 04:57 AM   #9
Mastery OP
Mr. Funny Man

Do appreciate everybody's feedback. I'll keep it on the side stand at camp and if my top case stays on, the Rotopax will go on the passenger seat area under the duffel bag. Still debating the top case or a second duffel on the rear rack...decisions, decisions. Guess I'll just have to pack everything both ways and get a feel for which I like best.
Old 02-16-2015, 06:26 AM   #10
multiphrenic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
speaking of sidestands, thought this was a cool idea. leave it in a tank bag and you dont need to get off your bike to position it.

http://www.safetkick.com/

Old 02-16-2015, 05:29 PM   #11
cycleman2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
1. Side stand with something to keep it from sinking into the dirt.

2. I use the saddlebags for clothes etc, some kind of bag ( cheap ) that the clothes, shaving kit, extra shoes etc fit into inside the bag. I leave the bags on the bike and take the contents into the tent or motel.

3. I'm actually a fan of a top box, providing it isn't too big. I keep things that I might need during the day, like an extra layer for the upper body, extra gloves ( to handle cold or hot ) and if my wife is with me her purse and an extra layer for her. There is very little weight in the top box, and it allows you to store take off layers as well.

4. I've never needed to carry extra gas, so I'll leave that one alone. If I'm travelling solo I'll often use a dry bag and put the camping gear behind me and between the top box. If the boss is with me, then its motels.
Old 02-17-2015, 06:14 AM   #12
Ironheadziggy76
What the hell?

Oddometer: 502
Mastery, let me show you how "NOT" to pack for a trip to Alaska.

Last time I thought I had to take everything with me for some reason. I'll be going on one set of Tourances, and will be taking about half of the clothing I took last time. I'll also leave a few camping items at home like the camp table that I ended up mailing home amongst other things.

I'll probably still use the blue and yellow bags, but they will be loaded a lot lighter.

I had to use the centerstand a lot, not because I wanted to but if I used the sidestand with the load I had, it would try to lift the front tire off the ground depending on where I was parked.

As far as taking extra fuel, unless you are going to hit the Dalton, you probably won't need it, but if you already have the Rotopax I would probably take it.
Ironheadziggy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 06:21 AM   #13
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 4,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironheadziggy76 View Post
I'll probably still use the blue and yellow bags, but they will be loaded a lot lighter.
If you can get it so you only have the yellow and blue bags along with the side cases you'll be in great shape. If you can get the blue bag stuffed the size of the yellow one and the yellow a little smaller, all the better.

well done..

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 06:41 AM   #14
Ironheadziggy76
What the hell?

Oddometer: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
If you can get it so you only have the yellow and blue bags along with the side cases you'll be in great shape. If you can get the blue bag stuffed the size of the yellow one and the yellow a little smaller, all the better.

well done..
My plan is to use the yellow one for my colder weather stuff, sleeping bag, and riding gear. The blue one loads from the top, I use it for tent, and other camping gear as it's easy to get into for setting up day after day. I'm hoping they will both be about half the size they are in the picture!
Ironheadziggy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 10:12 AM   #15
Mastery OP
Mr. Funny Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironheadziggy76 View Post
Mastery, let me show you how "NOT" to pack for a trip to Alaska.
That's a pretty light load

I'm good with my top case, two panniers, tank bag, and a dry bag on the pillion. Actually just downgraded from a 70L Torrent bag to a 40L Torrent so I can have the dry bag on the seat tied down and still get into the panniers...the 70L was too long going across. Oh, forgot to mention that I just got a pair of the iBlackBags to mount onto the crash bars...not sure what I'll put in those yet. Maybe my chain lube and cleaning supplies.

Mastery screwed with this post 02-17-2015 at 10:27 AM