Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2012, 08:56 AM   #31
cumbaba OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Thanks for your comments.
Sacha http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/mod..._xrv750_98.htm

capacity is 23 liters (reserve included)
My consumption 5-5,5 Liters per 100 Km

Burçin, senin kodlu sayfalarından faydalanıyorum.
thank you
cumbaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:19 AM   #32
cumbaba OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Palmyra; Bride of desert

I had planned to get up at 07:00 in the morning. But I could not. I got up at 08:00.

[IMG]

After I went to downstairs and had breakfast, I took my motorcycle out and I rode towards Palmyra Fort without delay.

Distance I would go was very close. I arrived at there within 5 minutes.

The fort would be open after at 13:00. So I took some photographs of it from outside and I went down towards the ancient city. Panorama was awesome.

I could not decide where I supposed to start when I arrived at the ancient city. It had been settled on a really big area. It was almost impossible to visit by walking.

Turkish Motorcycle rider was inside with his motorcycle again. Sorry for my disrespect to history.

The city was incredibly beautiful. I understood that I was not able to show its beauty even if I took hundreds of photographs of it. I kept riding inside and looking around and I took some photographs. I moved for a while with a group was being informed by a guide speaking English. The temple part at the end of the area was really beautiful.

Entrance charge was 500 Syrian Liras. (12 USD). You could visit the fort, the temple and the museum with one ticket. Magic words worked again. Attendant let me to visit when I said I would take a look.

Insistence of souvenir vendors was really nuisance. Even if only once if you looked at their face, they were moving with you continuously. And they were saying meaningless things. Situation was just like that in off season. I could not imagine about in season.

After I visit the temple I went ahead towards the museum. The museum was located outside of the ancient city. It was high white building at right side on the downtown road.
Opening time of the museum was at 13:00. I thought that because of it was Friday.
I left from there by thinking that my Palmyra trip was over. I went to the streets and I started to ride around.

I saw a crowd and I approached them. A bazaar had been settled up. Neither I was able to get off the motorcycle nor I was able to take photograph. Enclosure was really hard.

Actually there were so many great views to take photograph, but it was impossible.

I found out again that it was not wisely to visit the city by motorcycle. To see it by walking would be most comfortable way. I went ahead and I asked about gas station. I bought some fuel for 500 Syrian Pounds. I had used 6 liters fuel the day before, Because of that I had ridden the day before against the wind and fast. My opinion regarding Palmyra was that it was good that I came.

I was still uncertain about where would go until I came Damascus- Tardus turnout. Tardus or Damascus. Meantime I found my insurance receipt. I stopped for a short while to drink a little bit water. Then I made a decision. My route would be towards Tardus.

I was riding pretty much slowly while I was going ahead towards Homs. I did not want to overlook if there was something good to see along the road. I had caught sight of some villages and tents the day before, while I had been coming. I went ahead after I took photographs of the children who were pasturing sheep.

Desolate roads were really enticing.

I turned a village road about 50 kilometers after Palmyra. It was actually track.

The village was seemed as pre-historical from the point of made of buildings materials, colors of these materials, its solitudes and its appearance. There was no difference between the ancient city and the village. The village was very beautiful. I visited the village.

People were a little bit formal. There was nowhere to buy some food or drink. I had not enough food and something drink to camp. I had only one canned tuna fish, one pack of biscuits and half bottle of water. So I gave camping up and I went on. I was on the straight roads again. Roads were straight at there. But people had built them had made them amusing for motorcycle riders. When you were getting closer to top of the hills, you were not able to see behind of the hill on top. The road on the top could bend suddenly either to right side or to left side. You were supposed to be careful if you were fast. There were constant ups and downs along the road. It was impossible to see behind of hills on top. When arrived at Homs, I found out that I entered to city from a different point than I had entered before. From that point, largeness of the city was more noticeable. I passed some of natural gas plants. One of my friends had told me that especially in Arab countries it would not be good to take photograph of that kind of places or military regions. It was also meaningless for me anyway. I recorded those views to my mind and I went on.
All signboards of TARDUS I had seen them the day before were removed at night I guessed. I could not see even one of them. I tried to find out correct direction I would go for 20 minutes. I was riding around of the same place during that time. No one was able to speak English. I found the correct way saying yessar, yemin, duvar, işarat. I took perhaps the most interesting photograph until that time during my journey as a keepsake. That photograph was belong to a camel which had been cut off.

Although I had been observing the red earth and the drought in around until one or two hours before, the nature began to flourish while I was getting closer to Tardus.

Signboard of Hosn Citadel on the road took my attention. Although it was 15 kilometers far from the road, it was a fort as big as to see easily. It had been built right on top of a hill. I planned to visit it next day if I could reach to internet or I could get some information about the fort.
After 500 kilometers I had passed a gas station on Tardus road, I started to use reserve fuel. My kilometer indicator showed to 254. Because I had not been fast at all, I thought that the quality of fuel was the reason for that shortcoming. I was supposed to get used to this situation. I made a reversion on a one-way road. (I had already done it before very often while I was searching correct road in Homs.) And I went to the gas station by riding on edge of the road. But the gas station was closed . I returned and I rode towards Tardus. When I arrived at Tardus, I felt myself that as if I was in Antalya. And I thought that I would see a signboard written WELCOME TO ANTALYA on it.

I kept riding towards downtown. And I saw the sea for first time in the Syrian territory.
Bahr = Sea
There were a lot of ships anchored in the open sea. So It was a seaboard city. I thought that how much I was smart. I saw the port after 300 or 400 meters. I turned the left side by keeping the sea at my right side and I went ahead. I felt myself that as if I was riding on the coast road between Bostancı and Kartal in İstanbul.

I thought that if the sea was at there, hotels also were supposed to be around of it. And I went on. I found out that I was right. I passed the Sun Hotel first. Then I passed Grand Hotel. I was passing hotels one by one on the road. Hotels were located on the coming side of the road according to traffic. They were on the opposite side of the road. And there was a high refuge on middle of the road. I made an U-turn after 500 meters ahead. (I remembered Timo one of my friends when I saw a police motorcycle except Suzuki for the first time at there. It was CBX 750 HONDA.) I asked about hotel prices at the Sun Hotel first. I seemed like a cheap hotel to me as its look. I was right again. Price was 20 USD including breakfast, but the hotel was looked like broken down. Grand Hotel’s price was 40 USD. Shahin Hotel’s price was 110 USD. Elissa Hotel’s price was 30 USD and rooms were not bad at all. All these prices were last prices after bargain. There was a guy named Hassan at Elissa Hotel’s reception. His English was worse than mine. After a really hard bargain, he decreased the price to 1200 Syrian Liras including breakfast as last price. There was a park opposite of the hotel. He was surprised when I asked to him whether I could camp in the park.
Khime= Tent
When he found out that I was serious, Being from Turkey worked and we negotiated with him as 600 Syrian Liras including breakfast. His only request from me that I was not supposed to tell about the price to anyone . I parked in front of the hotel, I locked it and I went to room.

I took a shower. Then I started to wander in the city. Everywhere were closed because it was Friday.

Roasted chicken was being sold at everywhere as meal. I could not find anything else. Then I had some cake and coffee at a cafe. They were good and delicious. I paid 60 Syrian pounds for the cake and 50 Syrian Pounds for coffee.

I bought some biscuits, canned foods, coca cola and water from a shop. And I returned the hotel. My first impression about there was that it was waste of time. I would see whether I was right at next day. I hoped that everything would be better next morning . There was wireless internet in the hotel but I could not get connected.
I found out that why I could not get connected later. Hassan told me that I could use his computer if I wanted. It took 15 minutes connecting to Gmail. I could not check my e-mails, even one of it . I wrote dunyaninbilgisi.com at browser and left it. I would be back after a while. I went to telephone boxes in front of the hotel. And I tried to call Turkey with the telephone card I had bought it when I was in Aleppo. But it was impossible to make international call in Tardus . When I returned the hotel and I checked my web site after 10 minutes, I saw that it was not opened yet. I gave it up and I went to the room to write that day’s information and make arrangement regarding photographs. My room had a nice view. I ate an orange given to me by Sister Barbara when I was in Hatay with a pleasure. She had harvested it from the tree by her own hands for me. I caught the Dakar Rally on a Dubai TV channel and I watched for a while. I tampered GPS a little bit and I worked on the computer for a while.
That was it for that day.

With all my best wishes for happy days.
cumbaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:45 AM   #33
Sascha
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by cumbaba View Post
Thanks for your comments.
Sacha http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/mod..._xrv750_98.htm

capacity is 23 liters (reserve included)
My consumption 5-5,5 Liters per 100 Km

Burçin, senin kodlu sayfalarından faydalanıyorum.
thank you
True, true 23!....

5l!

Gratulations! even b4 I reached 100k km I had always above 5l, but mine is from 1993... so a bit older...And now we are loaded to the top, 450kg+ so no chance to be under 6l...

stay safe...

cheers Sascha

Sascha screwed with this post 03-20-2012 at 01:47 AM Reason: ...
Sascha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:24 AM   #34
duroturk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Great trip! Subscribed!
Old 03-26-2012, 11:18 AM   #35
zakou
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 984
Hello from greece!

simply fantastic! thank you for taking the time!!!!!!!!
zakou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:30 AM   #36
SpitfireTriple
Seek Truth

Oddometer: 876
Keep it coming!

Great trip, I'm looking forward to the Jordan section - I got back two days ago. But I was on holiday, not on my bike.
SpitfireTriple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:01 PM   #37
Volker@Bandit
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Tanks for the report. Great trip.

Please keep it coming.
Volker@Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:55 PM   #38
Tsompanis
n00b

Oddometer: 5
slm my friend!
Tsompanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:31 PM   #39
Turk34
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsompanis View Post
slm my friend!
Erkan abi, ayaginiza, elinize , yureginize saglik....Video tarif edilemez olmus,..

(This is just a great adventure with big heart....)
Turk34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:11 AM   #40
MYH
Red Ikarus

Oddometer: 7
Erkan Hocam,

I envy you!... Only if I can let go of my current lifestyle :(
MYH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:46 AM   #41
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,418
Enjoying your detailed report immensely Thanks for sharing it..

Ride safe

Old 04-05-2012, 08:48 AM   #42
Ni3ous
Double Axle Rider

Oddometer: 213
Old 04-05-2012, 09:14 AM   #43
zandesiro
In rust we trust....

Oddometer: 795
zandesiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:59 PM   #44
AleXtz
Minimal2 the fulness

Oddometer: 68
amazing photographs, great adventure getting involved with locals, keep interacting and riding,

Alex

2+1 months living in Oaxaca's sierras and beaches:
http://motoviajero.com/foros/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2695
AleXtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:32 PM   #45
EnginTMR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Nice pics 'n report

Thanks for sharing...
EnginTMR is offline   Reply With Quote