User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 29 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-15-2012, 09:19 AM   #16
HardCase OP
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,704
Gorgeous P&R nickel 8 3/8" 29 there ADVMindset! I am always torn about shooting those sweet older Smiths when they are in such great condition......but guess that's what they are for!

The 500......I've shot it, handloaded it, chronographed it, written about it, since soon after the caliber originally came out in '03. I think it was '03. I bought one of the earliest 8 3/8" guns with the integral comp, and then a 4" a couple of years later. Both guns have seen a lot of use. I took a deer with the longer one, and carry the shorter gun when I spend time in the backcountry around here.

Here they are. Then I'm going to quite hogging the mike, as it were, for a while, I suspect by now that you can tell I'm a total revolver freak!! But I will probably chime back in at some point and tell some 500 stories. Great caliber for hunting and woods-carry in big brown bear country. If you plan to shoot more than two cylinders full through it, unlike the 29, you hopefully either handload or are prepared to take it up. I find that there isn't a whole lot of money to be saved in handloading certain calibers, like 9mm or 223 for example, but that is a whole different story with the 500. You can literally save dollers per pull-of-the-trigger by handloading, and if you plan to shoot the gun much you can actually pay for the cost of a basic but decent loading setup in just a couple of hundred rounds.

Hard cases make bad law.

HardCase screwed with this post 02-15-2012 at 09:24 AM
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:22 AM   #17
HardCase OP
winter is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto View Post
My latest addition M-63, which I posted in the "rimfire" thread. I love this piece. I ordered the wood grips from the M-60 Pro, not that crazy about rubber.
Sweet 63! I'd love to have one. I agree with you about the rubber. I hate Goodyears on my beautiful S&Ws. Having said that, I'm grateful for the ones on the two 500s. Those are special grips made for that caliber and have some of that squishy sorbothane stuff covering the backstrap. I'd love to put nice picturesque wooden grips on those two guns, but think the added hand-smack would be unpleasant, so guess I'll stick with the Goodyears.....but just on those two!

Hard cases make bad law.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:30 AM   #18
HardCase OP
winter is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
Since we have a couple S&Ws in a row, let's look at their progenitor and see where they all came from.

This is a S&W Military and Police Hand Ejector Model of 1899. The S&W M&P later became the popular "K" frame like the S&W 65 and 66 shown above. This model was the first firearm ever chambered for the famous .38 Special cartridge and this one is chambered in that round (the M&P was also chambered for other .32 and .38 caliber cartridges as well). This gun has a serial number of 16xx and as such is one of the earliest .38 Special S&W revolvers made, sometime in the early months of 1900. I got it from a buddy whose father got it from someone "passing through" while working at a gas station in Eastern Colorado back in the early 1930s. It is in very good condition original and still shoots great!

Awesome! Thanks, FatChance!!

Hard cases make bad law.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:30 AM   #19
eric123
Gott Mit Uns

Oddometer: 1,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwa View Post
Ruger SA's make me happy.

eric123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:38 AM   #20
HardCase OP
winter is coming

I'm not real familiar with Ruger SAs although do have two Vaqueros, one New and one not. Those all look like Blackhawks. Tell us the calibers and I'm also curious about the three SS guns with engraved non-fluted cylinders and Bisley style grips-frames.....

Hard cases make bad law.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:46 AM   #21
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,015
My last one for today. The top is a Ruger Single Six Convertible .22/.22mag and the other is a Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt. Both have Sambar stag grips...

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:54 AM   #22
HardCase OP
winter is coming

Thanks FatChance, and everyone else who has posted here so far, for giving this thread what I hope is a decent start. Long live the revolver thread!!

Hard cases make bad law.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:01 AM   #23
eastwa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
I'm not real familiar with Ruger SAs although do have two Vaqueros, one New and one not. Those all look like Blackhawks. Tell us the calibers and I'm also curious about the three SS guns with engraved non-fluted cylinders and Bisley style grips-frames.....
Top to bottom:
1. 41 Mag Accusport
2. .357 "old model"
3. 45 Colt NMBH
4. 45 Colt Accusport, project gun for Alan Harton when I save the $$
5. Another 45 Colt
6. And another 45 Colt, tweaked by Dave Clements.

The SS pieces are all 5.5" New Model Blackhawks (NMBH). Available in .357, 41 Mag, 44 Mag, 45 Colt, and 45 Colt/45 ACP. I am still looking for the elusive 44 Mag.

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger_Stainless_Bisley.htm
eastwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:11 AM   #24
eastwa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Dave Clements 45 Colt Vaquero, with Roy Fishpaw panels.

eastwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:03 PM   #25
Ze Red Baron
Adventure seeker

Oddometer: 437
I've never owned anything other than a BB pistol, but follow this and the "I LOVE this gun thread" with great interest. I'd appreciate it if one of you could explain the difference between the different frame designations on the revolvers, such as K frame and N frame.

Beautiful revolvers from those of you who have posted.
www.ars-natura.com
Ze Red Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:12 PM   #26
otto
UAW

Oddometer: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
Since we have a couple S&Ws in a row, let's look at their progenitor and see where they all came from.

This is a S&W Military and Police Hand Ejector Model of 1899. The S&W M&P later became the popular "K" frame like the S&W 65 and 66 shown above. This model was the first firearm ever chambered for the famous .38 Special cartridge and this one is chambered in that round (the M&P was also chambered for other .32 and .38 caliber cartridges as well). This gun has a serial number of 16xx and as such is one of the earliest .38 Special S&W revolvers made, sometime in the early months of 1900. I got it from a buddy whose father got it from someone "passing through" while working at a gas station in Eastern Colorado back in the early 1930s. It is in very good condition original and still shoots great!

Great story, great piece!
Old 02-15-2012, 12:24 PM   #27
otto
UAW

Oddometer: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze Red Baron View Post
I've never owned anything other than a BB pistol, but follow this and the "I LOVE this gun thread" with great interest. I'd appreciate it if one of you could explain the difference between the different frame designations on the revolvers, such as K frame and N frame.

Beautiful revolvers from those of you who have posted.
Basically, frame size "J" being the smallest (there was an "I" frame many moons ago) then "K" "L" "N" and the big boys are "X" frame. Sizes and calibers overlap i.e. .357 can be had in J, K, L, and N frames.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:18 PM   #28
HardCase OP
winter is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto View Post
Basically, frame size "J" being the smallest (there was an "I" frame many moons ago) then "K" "L" "N" and the big boys are "X" frame. Sizes and calibers overlap i.e. .357 can be had in J, K, L, and N frames.
Nice succinct summation, otto. It should be noted, although maybe goes without saying, that these frames/sizes apply only to S&W revolvers. Colt, Ruger, Taurus, etc., all have their own models and frames which are not related to the various Smiths.

Hard cases make bad law.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:29 PM   #29
HardCase OP
winter is coming

On the subject of SA Rugers, here are my two:

The top gun is a stainless Vaquero, vintage circa Y2K, which was a limited edition gun called the Sheriff's Model in 45 Colt. The case-hardened gun is a New Vaquero in 357. As I've said, I'm not really a SA guy, tend to gravitate toward DA Smiths simply because those are what I am used to since, literally, childhood. My dad was a Smith guy too. But I do love the looks of a nice SA and have found these two quite fun to shoot.

I bought both at different times, years apart, kind of on whims. When I got the stainless gun I had some odd notion of trying to CCW the beast, but soon disabused myself of that peculiar bit of whimsy. The second gun was used and in a shop at a very low price, looked to be new or almost new, so I picked it up thinking I might want to get into Cowboy Action Shooting. I soon dropped that notion as well.

The current production Ruger New Vaqueros are not offered in a case-hardened frame version, just blue and stainless, so I'm happy to have the case-hardened gun, love the way that looks. Both are slightly unusual in the overall lineup of Ruger Vaqueros.

Hard cases make bad law.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:32 PM   #30
NICO
NWGS's pwner!1!!1!

Oddometer: 22,842
Is it too early in the thread to start asking about value on a near perfect, mid-90's 4" .357 K Frame? What info do I need to bring to the table to get a roundabout figure? Buddy has one he is selling and isn't sure where to price it and I would like to own it. (I also know squat about revolvers, so if noting K Frame and .357 in the description is redundant, please forgive me. )

d'oh, should have read otto's post.
NICO is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: