Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 56 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-16-2012, 08:22 AM   #46
NDEBT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR Greenhorn View Post
How is that Circuit Judge to shoot? I shot somebody's regular Judge a few weekends ago, and it didn't do much for me, but I find these more interesting.
It's a smoothbore barrel in this country, right? How does .45 LC shoot from that?
Could you shoot sporting clays and such with this, or aren't the sights well-suited to that?

Nope, It is a rifled barrel it has two "chokes" the one for the .45 is really just a thread protector and the .410 just has straight rifeling to stop the spin. It shoots the .45 very well. I have not tried clays but just throwing of bottles and such it does pretty well. Here is a good write up about it that sums it up pretty well. http://www.gunblast.com/Taurus-CircuitJudge.htm
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
NDEBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:50 AM   #47
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,726
This was pretty much my first revolver:

Taurus 94 .22LR with a 4" barrel. What a hunk of crap! I think the cylinder gap was too tight on a couple chambers because it didn't get through one cylinder before it started binding up. I owned it for about 2 hours, I took it back to the guy who sold it to me (who luckily has a big operation) and he gave me my money back.

This is what I have now:

Unfortunately, this one is back at Ruger HQ now. It took me about 6 months of practice and improvement to figure out that the barrel was on a little crooked and that it shot to the left. That or I'm an even worse shot than I thought!

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:11 AM   #48
eastwa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
I need to blow the dust off of my GP-100.
I have the same version in stainless, always have liked the look of the full lug 6" version.
eastwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:23 AM   #49
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
My shipping date was September of 1949, so we're close to the same vintage!
You're 4 months older than I am. Did they teach history in schools yet when you were young?

OK, here is another. This is a Ruger Security Six 4" .357 magnum stainless. I have owned this longer than any firearm I currently own. I bought it new about 30 years ago. More reliable than a bag of hammers! It is strange, but these Rugers are better regarded now than back when they still made and sold them.

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:16 AM   #50
Tman66
Smellin' da cow poop

Oddometer: 7,760
No Colt love?

Tman66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:33 AM   #51
KSJEEPER
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tman66 View Post
No Colt love?

My very first gun, was a 6" Diamondback back in 1989, for $350 used but unfired in the box. I was 19, and that gun was so accurate and made shooting so easy, I thought I was a shooting savante til I tried shooting something with a shorter barrel
KSJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:38 AM   #52
Tman66
Smellin' da cow poop

Oddometer: 7,760
I have a SW 66 and have always been a fan of SW, but this Colt Python is just above and beyond the 66.

Not going to shoot it very much. It was my fathers pistol.
Tman66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:20 PM   #53
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 11,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tman66 View Post
No Colt love?

:ymca
Old 02-16-2012, 12:33 PM   #54
Badge320
Wild Hog No. 3

Oddometer: 3,566
My Smith and Wesson Special Service Pistol. I'm also the proud owner of a Smith and Wesson 642 which serves as a back-up and off duty gun. When I entered law enforcement in 1984 I carried a Smith and Wesson Model 27 and a Colt Python.

Badge320 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:46 PM   #55
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by NICO View Post
Looks like I have a few questions to ask. I knew as much anyway.

Thanks guys. Will get back with you when I have answers. FWIW, he did mention it is stainless. I do recall the red ramp front. I also know he does have the original grips as well as a set of rubber grips as he said the stock were brutal on his hands. (He's a mechanic, doesn't exactly have supple hands, so I'll take his word on this.)
If stainless, as HardCase says it's gotta be a 66. If you can find the model # stamped into the frame under the crane (the part that the cylinder swings out on), post that. it should be like 66-1 or 66-2 etc. Back in the late 70's the Florida Highway Patrol and Marine Patrol had some trouble with trigger stops and gas rings on some of the early 66s they issued. IIRC by the 66-2, the trigger stops had been removed and the gas ring thing was corrected.

If it is a newer gun, no worries in that regard. You might also check the top strap of the frame right above the barrel forcing cone and cylinder gap for evidence of flame cutting. This is something that happens to .357s that are subject to lots of high intensity loads. It only goes a bit, then no further and supposedly os not a big cause for concern, but you could use that as a bargaining chip if present.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:06 PM   #56
HardCase OP
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badge320 View Post
My Smith and Wesson Special Service Pistol. I'm also the proud owner of a Smith and Wesson 642 which serves as a back-up and off duty gun. When I entered law enforcement in 1984 I carried a Smith and Wesson Model 27 and a Colt Python.

Oh man, I love the 686SSR, have been hovering around those for about three years. I think it is close to being the perfect all-around handgun. Maybe a little big for CCW, but that could be done with the right hoster and getup, a great range gun, small-game (even up to deer in a pinch) woods-gun, nightstand/car/truck gun, and, what it was originally made for, IDPA SSR competition. I shot SSR in IDPA for a few years between about 2005 and 2009. I purchased an end-of-the-line 66-7 for that purpose, a 4". It is pretty darned close to the same as the SSR aside from having a K versus an L frame, and it worked very well for me. I cannot recall if the 686SSR was available at the time, but when I found the 66 I was intrigued by the fact that S&W had just discontinued them, and the price was right too, so I bought it despite the ugly-duckling weird looking two-piece barrel. It is actually a very functional good gun. It presently resides on my nightstand as I gave up the IDPA game a few years back......although do shoot a very occasional match just for fun. For the past two years I've been using a 625 in 45ACP for that game which puts me in a different class, but is a little easier for a fumble-fingered old guy as it uses rounds in moon clips rather than speed-loaders which are easier to bumble/drop. I haven't photographed the 66-7, it's not particularly pretty, but guess I'd better take a shot or two (with the camera, I mean) and get it up here. I still haven't bought an SSR, may do so as it is definitely on my short list, but my problem is that I already own about a dozen 357s in different sizes and shapes and have a hard time justifying yet another......

Hard cases make bad law.

HardCase screwed with this post 02-16-2012 at 01:19 PM
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:16 PM   #57
Badge320
Wild Hog No. 3

Oddometer: 3,566
Quote:
Oh man, I love the 686SSR, have been hovering around those for about three years. I think it is close to being the perfect all-around handgun. Maybe a little big for CCW, but that could be done with the right hoster and getup, a great range gun, small-game (even up to deer in a pinch) woods-gun, nightstand/car/truck gun, and, what it was originally made for, IDPA SSR competition. I shot SSR in IDPA for a few years between about 2005 and 2009. I purchased an end-of-the-line 66-7 for that purpose, a 4". It is pretty darned close to the same as the SSR aside from having a K versus an L frame, and worked very well for me. I haven't photographed that gun, it's not particularly pretty, but guess I'd better take a shot or two (with the camera, I mean) and get it up here. I still haven't bought an SSR, may do so as it is definitely on my short list, but my problem is that I already own about a dozen 357s in different sizes and shapes and have a hard time justifying yet another......
I bought the gun last year to shoot in the revolver class at the Police Games. I couldn't attend and the gun sat in my office. I took it out last weekend and put 100 rounds through it....great shooter and pretty damn accurate.
Badge320 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:21 PM   #58
SourKraut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,023
Great thread you got going. Here's my 629 that I got up in AK in the mid-90's and my recently acquired 80's 586 L frame. No internal locks and both have great triggers. I grew up a few minutes from S&W so I have a one track mind when it comes to revolvers.

Both of them for perspective.

SourKraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:57 PM   #59
HardCase OP
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,860
Here is the 66-7, last of the breed. They were made for less than a year before the Model was dropped from the S&W lineup. It has, as mentioned earlier, not only the much hated internal lock, but also MIM internal parts, hammer & trigger, and a slightly weird two-piece barrel. I don't think the lines are quite as pleasing as earlier 66s either. But does it shoot? Yes indeed. I have put roughly 2500 rounds through this one, mostly 38s or mild handloads in 357 brass. Shorter cases makes speedloading a hair easier, so I used 38s in this gun at a ratio of roughly 5 to 1. The gun came with Goodyears, the standard rubber grips that Smith puts on newer guns. I personally prefer wood and have found that these grips are a good fit for my hand. Useful, utilitarian gun, but not pretty like the older ones.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:15 PM   #60
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,619
Quote:
Here is the 66-7, last of the breed. They were made for less than a year before the Model was dropped from the S&W lineup. It has, as mentioned earlier, not only the much hated internal lock, but also MIM internal parts, hammer & trigger, and a slightly weird two-piece barrel. I don't think the lines are quite as pleasing as earlier 66s either. But does it shoot? Yes indeed. I have put roughly 2500 rounds through this one, mostly 38s or mild handloads in 357 brass. Shorter cases makes speedloading a hair easier, so I used 38s in this gun at a ratio of roughly 5 to 1. The gun came with Goodyears, the standard rubber grips that Smith puts on newer guns. I personally prefer wood and have found that these grips are a good fit for my hand. Useful, utilitarian gun, but not pretty like the older ones.
That also has a frame mounted firing pin, right? Somehow the color case hardened hammer and trigger look cool, and out of place at the same time. I also prefer the lines of the earlier gins, like mine:

And as long as I'm posting, my Model 18 and Model 34:

"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: