User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 53 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-16-2012, 07:55 PM   #76
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,725
You guys need to stop talking about your SP101s... I'm between a .357 carbine or a SP101. Can you guys comment on whether or not the 3" barrel is easy to conceal OWB?

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:14 PM   #77
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 6,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
You guys need to stop talking about your SP101s... I'm between a .357 carbine or a SP101. Can you guys comment on whether or not the 3" barrel is easy to conceal OWB?

Well what's OWB mean? On White Boy?

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:21 PM   #78
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyRascal View Post
I just mean outside your pants. My preference is the 3" but I don't want it poking out from under my shirt.

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:29 PM   #79
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Quote:
I just mean outside your pants. My preference is the 3" but I don't want it poking out from under my shirt.
The 3" SP is pretty concealable, especially its narrow profile. It'll never be a snubby but shit whaddaya do with a snubby?

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:48 PM   #80
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by siyeh View Post
Revolvers I've had a bunch. They come they go. I can't seem to part with this one.

Ruger Alaskan 454 Casull/45 Colt.

LUVVV that pistol!

Your post made me want to ask, "What's the deal with those?"

I noticed, about a year or more ago, that the .454s were getting kinda' scarce. The other night, while I was tooling-around GunBroker, I saw that there were none to be found. I went to Ruger's site, and saw that they were still listed.

Where can a guy go-about finding one? I was thinking about (maybe) goin' to the next gun show.

I have completely given-up on owning a nice .357. I gave my Dad a 4" 66 that I had. Then, my best friend was killed, during a botched car-jacking. So, I gave his brother a 2 1/2" SP-101, that I had just acquired.

A little while after that, I layed eyes on the 3" stainless GP-100's, that the US Marshals' Service had Ruger make for them. I knew, immediately, that I had to have one. Unfortunately, for awhile, they were only available to the general public in blued finish. Well, I was deadset on a stainless version. So, I waited, VERY PATIENTLY. When I was finally able to get my hands on a brand-new stainless one, I jumped.

Shortly thereafter, my friend had her Sig fail on her, during a very crucial moment (total ammunition issue). So, she lost faith in it. Well, when she saw my 3" GP-100, she appropriated it without hesitation. I still get to see it, every once-in-awhile.

For now, I'm back to the Colt Commander. But, I thought one of those Alaskans would make the perfect topbox pistol. It would deal with man and beast equally as easy.

I'm sorry for the slight threadjack, HardCase. I just wanted to ask siyeh about his revolver (and got carried-away).

I promise I'll post a pic of the 3" GP-100, at some point. It's MY favorite revolver...that I DON'T HAVE.

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:50 AM   #81
HardCase OP
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,800
Quote:
I guess the whole issue of concealment is a slightly different topic, but I generally find it odd that someone would have no trouble concealing a 2.25" (which is what the snub SP101s are IIRC) but would have a problem concealing the 3", same exact gun with just .75" more barrel.

What I've personally found is that a 3" barrel, or even a 2.5" like the one on my 66-1, just shoots better than a shorter one. Hard to figure why a fraction of an inch would make a difference, but to me it does. If it were me I'd get the 3" SP and figure out a way to conceal that extra 3/4"......shouldn't be all that difficult.

On a different topic, I gotta say that I love the Alaskan 454 too, very interesting revolver. I remember a few years back when S&W was making those sunbbie 500s (and I think maybe the 460 too). About all I can say about these ginormous snubbies is.......KABOOOOOOOMMMM!!!!

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:21 AM   #82
SourKraut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
KABOOOOOOOMMMM!!!!
That and a wall of flame. The biggest muzzle flash I've personally seen was one of those S&W snubbies.
SourKraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:42 AM   #83
HardCase OP
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourKraut View Post
That and a wall of flame. The biggest muzzle flash I've personally seen was one of those S&W snubbies.
My 4" 500 (which is really a 3" with a 1" comp stuck on the end) is a real beast both in the kaboom department, and also where it comes to muzzle-flash. If anything, the comp exacerbates it. I fired a cylinder full one evening just as dusk was settling in, and saw spots in front of my eyes for hours afterward.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:49 AM   #84
gofast1320
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 653
3" carry gun concealable in OWB?

Quote:
What Hardcase and ShadyRascal said- Back in the 80's I had a Charter Undercover I carried but the blue steel was a pain to keep the rust off of it in summertime with an IWB holster.
IIRC J&G Sales in Arizona had advertised in Shotgun News that they were selling some specially made for them S&W Stainless Steel 3" model 60s. I bought one and was well pleased with the accuracy and found it no trouble at all to conceal in a OWB holster with a thumb snap. Seems like the holster for a 2" held it fine as the barrel end was open.
gofast1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:18 AM   #85
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,080
Enough talk. Back to pictures of revolvers:

To continue my theme of the history of revolvers, this is a 1886 vintage Colt 1877 Thunderer. It was Colt's first double action revolver. They had two models, the .41 Colt "Thunderer" and the .38 Colt "Lightning". This one is nickel plated. Their trigger mechanisms were prone to breakage, but this one it tight and works great! Billy the Kid supposedly carried a Thunderer like this one.

Again, I apologize for these lousy old pictures. I really need to get out my camera and update them...

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:46 AM   #86
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Quote:
What I've personally found is that a 3" barrel, or even a 2.5" like the one on my 66-1, just shoots better than a shorter one. Hard to figure why a fraction of an inch would make a difference, but to me it does. If it were me I'd get the 3" SP and figure out a way to conceal that extra 3/4"......shouldn't be all that difficult.

A 3" barrel is 20% longer than a 2.5", so in the rifle world that's like going from a 20" to a 24"--maybe even more so as that 2.5" just barely has room to burn powder and get the bullet spinning. It amazes me that even the 3" shoots as well as it does when I look down the barrel with a light and see how little rifling curve there is in that short distance.

Back to wheelgun pictures!

My one and only Smith at this time is a 686 7shot. Really nice gun in my opinion, typical smooth Smith trigger, accurate too. I had a 586 8 3/8" that I bought new in 1985 for a long time, then sold it when Smith was bought by the English guys. The long full underlug barrel was accurate but a pain to handle so away it went. Couple years later I was missing my Smith so I found this and it'll stay with me till the end.

I bought neat exotic wood grips for it, waited like 4 months for them to be made, and don't like them. I put the rubber ones back on it. Anyone want some cool wood grips?

Old 02-17-2012, 10:40 AM   #87
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,310
I was so close to getting a Schofield this year it was palpable.

But my local dealer didn't have any and I couldn't find one online for a comparable price. So I had to cancel my order.

Lucky I guess, other things came up and I'm fairly certain my GF would've used it to bludgeon me after I told her how much it was.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:41 AM   #88
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,310
Quote:
Realistically, it shouldn't be any harder to conceal.

Just fucking get it.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:42 AM   #89
KSJEEPER
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyRascal View Post
Oversized Waist Band?
KSJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:46 AM   #90
KSJEEPER
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,316
Quote:
I guess the whole issue of concealment is a slightly different topic, but I generally find it odd that someone would have no trouble concealing a 2.25" (which is what the snub SP101s are IIRC) but would have a problem concealing the 3", same exact gun with just .75" more barrel.

On a different topic, I gotta say that I love the Alaskan 454 too, very interesting revolver. I remember a few years back when S&W was making those sunbbie 500s (and I think maybe the 460 too). About all I can say about these ginormous snubbies is.......KABOOOOOOOMMMM!!!!
Concealment has more to do with 5 shot or 6, seems to me.
KSJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: