Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2012, 03:44 PM   #16
ibafran
villagidiot

Oddometer: 1,241
Chicago O'Hare has (expensive) deck parking. I have never seen a bike there. Nor have I ever seen designated space for bike parking. Remote lots are open air. IF one was to make a scouting trip to one's airport, one might negotiate some fancy parking for a bike with security or fire or parking personel. The luggage has always precluded me from picking up/dropping off others. Although, persons flying with nothing more than a duffle and a backpack would be easy for me. Having the bike covered to keep noxious air particulate off the bike while parked would be a dang good idea.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:54 PM   #17
der_saeufer
?איפה בירה

Oddometer: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundSand View Post
I haven't done it, due to not being sure what to do with gear (i don't check bags, ever, if i can help it), but LAX airport parking is free in the central (i.e. closest) parking structure.

the procedure is a little shady though- you're not supposed to pull a ticket- drive around the gate arm. also not supposed to park in a parking space. basically find areas that aren't parking spots and don't block traffic (end of lanes, behind barriers, etc) and park there. then drive around the gate on the way out.
I do this every week with my V-Strom lately. Lots of people do it, and there's more "non-space space" than you'd think. The most popular areas seem to be near the walkways but under the cover on the top levels, but there's no shortage of corners, areas near pillars, etc.

If you pull a ticket, it trips the license plate reader they use to keep people from cheating. The arms are intentionally short on all the gates so they're easy to get around.

My jacket and helmet fit in the top box where my little carry-on bag is while riding. The only problem with the LAX setup is that every airport doesn't do it. I'd even be willing to pay something for it, but most airports make you use and pay for a whole car spot while there are plenty of unusable corners, row ends, etc. Bastards.

A number of airports have "employee" motorcycle parking that's enforced to varying degrees (I know at least one where that degree was zero when I worked there), but nothing for passengers.

In a perfect world I could park my KLR at SMF and go from bike to plane to bike.
der_saeufer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:15 PM   #18
SactoPat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Depending on the airport policy (or how strict the policy) on employee parking, if you can buddy up with an airport employee and he/she just might be able to get you free parking in the employee parking area. I worked at our airport for almost 10 years and left the job in good standing. My manager told me when I left that anytime I'm flying out contact him and he'll get me a parking pass. I've flown out on vacations a few times and he has kept his word.
SactoPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:15 PM   #19
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,444
Always wear your beaten old gear for the ride to the airport. If it gets stolen/vandalized...'no big deal.

Get an 80L PacSafe stuffsack, and a lightweight $20 cover from Target. Put a Lojack on your moto, and probably a paging alarm too. Carry a sturdy disc/U lock and a 30ft security cable. Lock your moto to something solid (big lamp-post, guard-rail, etc.). Stuff your riding gear in the 80L sack and lock it to the bike tightly. Throw the cover on. Set the alarm. Carry full-coverage insurance.

Park anywhere without any serious concern.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:23 AM   #20
steve3b3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
I couldn't get a ticket at the Providence RI garage a few years ago and had to park in long term parking.

Yesterday, I found a Suzuki sport bike on the 5'th level of the Central Parking garage at Boston Logan.

Steve
steve3b3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:53 AM   #21
RedFrogTango
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibafran View Post
Chicago O'Hare has (expensive) deck parking. I have never seen a bike there. Nor have I ever seen designated space for bike parking. Remote lots are open air. IF one was to make a scouting trip to one's airport, one might negotiate some fancy parking for a bike with security or fire or parking personel. The luggage has always precluded me from picking up/dropping off others. Although, persons flying with nothing more than a duffle and a backpack would be easy for me. Having the bike covered to keep noxious air particulate off the bike while parked would be a dang good idea.
I parked my R1200GS in the main garage (deck parking) at O'Hare once. But I was only flying out anf back the same day. I would be worried to leave it there for longer.
RedFrogTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:00 PM   #22
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,009
I was at LAX's parking structure and noticed ALOT of bikes parked in the cross hatch painted areas.
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:42 PM   #23
revrandy
The Riding Rev.

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4d View Post
I was at LAX's parking structure and noticed ALOT of bikes parked in the cross hatch painted areas.
If you park in the cross hatch areas, then bike parking is free. Just ride around the gates on the way in, and on the way out. I have don't it myself on occasion.

John Wayne (Orange County, CA) doesn't specifically advertise free motorcycle parking, but they do have a motorcycle section. To get to it ride through the yellow pillars or around the gate. Likewise to leave. Parked there for several days without hassle.
revrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:40 PM   #24
ikonoklass
Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer: 2,601
Never done it, but I bet there's no safer place in the world to park a bike than an airport-attached parking garage!
ikonoklass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:14 PM   #25
rdwalker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,525
Not very good, but not that bad, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerboy View Post
Props to anyone who rides a DRZ to the airport to pick someone up.

The responses so far generally affirm that riders get a better treatment on the West Coast vs. the East Coast . On the East Coast we don't have things like free airport parking , lane splitting or even a lower toll on highways and bridges (it often goes by axles where bike has 2, a car has 2, they both pay the same ).

Had PIT been like Portland, I'd be saving $133. Wow, that buys a lot of gas. uk, I could ride my MZ Baghira over 1600 miles at that rate.
Now, let me defend the honor of the East Coast a bit. It may be not as moto-friendly here as on the West Coast - but then, nothing in the whole US is as moto-friendly as in most European countries, for that matter, so we'll take what we can...

JFK and Newark Airports do have free motorcycle parking (though not easy to find, see my previous post).

MTA bridges and tunnels in New York have lower moto rates.

Motorcycle EZ-Pass toll rates on New York State Thruway are just about half of those for cars.

On the minus side, unfortunately, neither GS Parkway nor NJ Turnpike discount motorcycle tolls. Also, while High Occupancy lanes are open to motorcycles in NY State and NJ, there are reports here of riders being harassed/ticketed in NYC.

Oh, well, at least some.

rdwalker screwed with this post 02-16-2012 at 04:21 PM
rdwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:37 AM   #26
snurdle
The name is, Bond.....

Oddometer: 2,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
If you park in the cross hatch areas, then bike parking is free. Just ride around the gates on the way in, and on the way out. I have don't it myself on occasion.

John Wayne (Orange County, CA) doesn't specifically advertise free motorcycle parking, but they do have a motorcycle section. To get to it ride through the yellow pillars or around the gate. Likewise to leave. Parked there for several days without hassle.

I wouldn't want to put that to the test. Hence I'm a LAX parker. I commute weekly to work in LA on Southwest and the free parking is a godsend, it takes 5 mins after arriving on airport property until I'm in the TSA line. LAX put the policy on their website....use the short term parking, don't take a ticket go around the barrier and park on the crosshatching (but keep clear of the disabled spots crosshatching). When you leave you also ride straight around the barrier.

The biggest time sucker at the airport is refusing the weekly x ray and getting my nuts patted, but an x ray a week would make me the guinea pig for the accuarcy of their cancer risk predictions, my understanding is aircrew avoid them also.

I digress, LAX is free and a great place to park.
snurdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:20 AM   #27
Pesqueeb
Bacon is a fad.

Oddometer: 49
Almost everyday, assuming the roads are free of ice and snow, since its a matter of going to work. Never left it overnight as I'm typically flying with wife and woman-child, but it wouldn't bother me to do it either.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:07 PM   #28
tbonestone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
A few years ago I had a Genuine Scooter Company Stella, with luggage racks front and rear. I rocked my carry on and a backpack with a handful of bungee cords. So while i did that in the summer, your ride in the light snow is way more hardcore than mine.
tbonestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:41 AM   #29
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Yep, have done it a several times. Post 9/11, we have a lot more airport police = much less crime in airport car parks. It's probably as safe parked there as it is in my garage, so leaving the bike isn't a factor for me.

Stowing the (riding) kit is more of an issue. I can store a full set on my F8 in the hard luggage. Other times, particularly when travelling on to a destination where I'll hire a bike, I take kit with me. Kriega US-20/30 with a shoulder strap is a cool carry on bag. :)
Old 02-21-2012, 07:31 AM   #30
tedder
irregular

Oddometer: 8,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post
Post 9/11, we have a lot more airport police = much less crime in airport car parks. It's probably as safe parked there as it is in my garage, so leaving the bike isn't a factor for me.
That's why Jay Leno's megagarage is close to an urban airport. Even off of airport property, the security folks are concerned about suspicious vehicles.

Or so I've heard.
tedder is offline   Reply With Quote