User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2012, 08:15 PM   #1
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Trailer?

Ok Y'all, I've been wandering about a trailer for my Elite.

Not for trips, just a utility trailer. I's gettin me a Truck this month but I dont afford no gas now.

For 1, I am a havin a lawn mower buisness. So, for 1 it'd be nice to have a possible alternative vehicle. Like, incase my Truck Brakes down, while I's fixin it to still cut them lawns.

For 2 to save gas of course more profit per lawn it takes gas drivin when you's gettin 10 MPG in the city.

For 3 its cool.

So, this would not be haulin no tractor, but simply a regular pushing gas lawnmower, a Weed Wacker, and a Leaf Blower mainly, and possibly a gas headge trimmer, along with a tank of gas with regular gas [probably 5 gallons or 2 Gallons], and a 2 Gallons tank for 2 strokers.

Is its easyly doable, or is it a waste of my time? How much do I be lookin to spend? I am cheap so I's probably rig something to pulling it like a tieing it to the rack or something.

And, also what is the laws? I don't be registering it. Thanks Y'all.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:19 PM   #2
Forde
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
it would be cool, all that quipment and gas might be a little heavy though

if you can put a tow hitch on a motorcycle and a vespa you can put it on a scooter.

not sure how they fit them to bikes and vespas etc but id find out and do someting similar?

maybe two bars coming off the frame with a cross bar with a hitch on it
Old 02-14-2012, 08:46 PM   #3
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,318
You might check into gearing the bike lower to give the clutch a rest & use the torque of the motor.
Wolfgang55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:56 AM   #4
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,585
I don't think I'd want to pull all that stuff with a 150cc scooter. Why not look for a truck that gets decent gas mileage. My Chevy S-10 with a four cylinder engine and stick shift gets 25+ MPG. It would probably do better if I lost my lead foot. I'm sure you could pick up an old S-10 pretty cheap and it would haul all of your lawn mowing stuff.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:45 PM   #5
alphaBETAdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
I don't think I'd want to pull all that stuff with a 150cc scooter. Why not look for a truck that gets decent gas mileage. My Chevy S-10 with a four cylinder engine and stick shift gets 25+ MPG. It would probably do better if I lost my lead foot. I'm sure you could pick up an old S-10 pretty cheap and it would haul all of your lawn mowing stuff.
Or a 4 cyl Ranger which are cheap, plentiful, and parts are everywhere. Remember, your fuel is a business expense, so that helps a little. Also, you will need to carry sprinkler parts, tools, shovels, firstaid kit, big cooler of water (got to stay hydrated!), place to keep your paperwork, etc. Won't you also need to haul seed, sod, and fertilizer? Who doesn't need a pickup from time to time?
alphaBETAdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:01 PM   #6
seraph
asshole on a scooter

Oddometer: 292
You'd definitely need to build a rigid mount to the frame somehow. Using the rack would not work, as the rack and it's mounting points wouldn't be strong enough. Also, using a tie or chain instead of a rigid mount would be horrible, as the trailer wouldn't stop when you did!

Even if you figured out a secure mount - which would be difficult - a 150cc really would not be able to pull that much weight. They slow down enough when you put a 130lb girl on the back, and you're talking easily that much in trailer+equipment.

I wouldn't even try.
seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:50 PM   #7
MaineScoot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
I know this won't work for your needs bc, but I saw it down at the scooter shop the other day and thought it was pretty cool:

MaineScoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:32 PM   #8
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Actually its not that good of an idea I guess, just thought it'd be neat.

klaviator yea I would get a truck either way just thought it'd be neat and be able to save gas/ have a backup if I'm a workin on the truck. A small truck would be ok, but I want a big truck, I want to go 4 wheelin a lot, and love the sound of an old V8. Probably be getting an F150 or F250 before 97, as this is the year they ruined them IMO, the F150 in 97 and F250 in 98 IMHO. I think a early 90s would be good. Also, I have 3 dirt bikes I'll be hauling occasionally, and a Lawn Tractor, along with other stuff. Yea I'll sacrifice MPG, but still if its 25 MPG vs 15 MPG, for a small 4 banger or a big ol V8 and a truck with a potential, it'd be obvious for me, just drive slow off the lights. But still I know I be complaining about gas. But who doesn't?

alphaBETAdog yea definitly a truck. I woulda got one either way, but thought the scoot would be neat. I love trucks though, the older ones espically.

seraph power wouldn't be an issue at all. I have loaded my 80 cc Elite with 5 people, weighing in a total of 850 pounds or so not including the bike, and we got it up to 20-25 MPH in the neighborhood, slowly at WOT. I would not be going fast, just down the street at 30 MPH. But, I am now more concerned about the actual mounting and costs of the trailer so I guess it won't happen.

MaineScoot that is neat looking!

Well I guess its not gonna happen. Was just an idea. I think its possible but I wouldn't want to spend anything over $300 so no way I'll definitly just use the truck.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:24 PM   #9
bbishoppcm
It ain't a moped.

Oddometer: 666
Build a sidecar. I drew out a great concept sketch, but i couldn't upload it (new site rules).
bbishoppcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:43 PM   #10
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbishoppcm View Post
Build a sidecar. I drew out a great concept sketch, but i couldn't upload it (new site rules).

That ain't a bad idea. I'll look into it, but what would you reckon it'd cost roughly for a decent one that could hold most of my shit?
Old 02-16-2012, 02:49 PM   #11
ABritOnMaui
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Sidecars a great idea but I strongly advise having it professionally installed & alligned. They're tricky buggers and can easily throw you off / over if not stheetup right. Hacks have loads of space, they aren't all that cheap and require you to adjust how you ride but could be the answer for you if yoou can find one cheap. I'd buy a used hack and have it professionally alligned over buying a new hack and installing it myself if you catch my drift.
ABritOnMaui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:23 PM   #12
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABritOnMaui View Post
Sidecars a great idea but I strongly advise having it professionally installed & alligned. They're tricky buggers and can easily throw you off / over if not stheetup right. Hacks have loads of space, they aren't all that cheap and require you to adjust how you ride but could be the answer for you if yoou can find one cheap. I'd buy a used hack and have it professionally alligned over buying a new hack and installing it myself if you catch my drift.

I agree, a side car would be mighty neat. But, the problem is right there. Professinal work ain't cheap, and cheap is all I needs.

I's looking for me a used Pickup truck. They's in the $3K-$4K range for a decent early 90s. A good ideal, they's pretty nice intil 97 IMO.

The new ones, theys just espansive and tecknikal. I mean they's like $25K+ for the lowest F150s now! They's all gadgets! For one, OMHO, they looks like shit, like a fucking Linckon Navigater, with a bed on it. They run about like $30K and $40K range. They have all them stupid gadgets. Like y'all connecting your damn ipod phone things in them wirelessly and you here the damn phone and talk without no phone. I mean just fuckin strap the damn phone to yer had or put it on speaker phone, not THAT hard to do IMO, or them cheap wireless things they have now a days cause them laws with hands free. And all shit like that. ALL I want is a fuckin truck, is that too much to ask for? A simple, reliable, work truck. Nothing more. And the early 90s meet that very well. I think they look pretty good. Honestly I'd love me a 70s, and although they be very reliable, they are 40 or so year old trucks, and unless maintained well the cheaper ones will need some work I'd imagine. BUT, I think the 70s fords are about the best trucks ever built! Someday I will have one as a project but for now its gotta be reliable cause of my lawnmowing buisness.

But a side car would be neat but it seems to expansive and probably too much to get it to what I needing.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:37 PM   #13
bbishoppcm
It ain't a moped.

Oddometer: 666
I'd KILL for another mid-80s Nissan pickup... tough as nails, fuel efficient, cheap and easy to fix... unfortunately, they've all been eaten by the salt monster (in this area), and cannot be found. But I reckon you should have no problem finding one cheaply in your area, no? I had THE TRUCK for you... 1987 Nissan standard cab, vinyl bench seat, rubber floors, NO OPTIONS! like AT ALL! It did have the rear slider window, a step bumper, and a factory AM/FM stereo... I miss that truck dearly, unfortunately I fried the transmission control module when I welded a plate over the hole in the floor (I was sick of getting soaked every time I hit a puddle).
bbishoppcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:49 PM   #14
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbishoppcm View Post
I'd KILL for another mid-80s Nissan pickup... tough as nails, fuel efficient, cheap and easy to fix... unfortunately, they've all been eaten by the salt monster (in this area), and cannot be found. But I reckon you should have no problem finding one cheaply in your area, no? I had THE TRUCK for you... 1987 Nissan standard cab, vinyl bench seat, rubber floors, NO OPTIONS! like AT ALL! It did have the rear slider window, a step bumper, and a factory AM/FM stereo... I miss that truck dearly, unfortunately I fried the transmission control module when I welded a plate over the hole in the floor (I was sick of getting soaked every time I hit a puddle).

Yea those are nice trucks, relible as shit, and simple.

Yea salt fucks cars up out there. Thats one thing I love about out here in California, if you take care of the engine cars will last FOREVER. I see all kinda of old beat up but still chugging along cars and trucks, a lot of 50s Chevy Pickups, not hot rodded daily drivers. They don't rust a whole lot out here. And I HATE rust. It looks shitty and sucks, and it impossible to fix if its deep.

I've thought about one of those. But the older Fords aren't too badly priced out here. I'm looking at an up to 96 F150/F250. Probably get a V8 for the sound, but the 90s straight six's were torquey as hell. My dad has I think a 95 F150 and that thing had more torque than an 8. But I love the sound of a rumbling V8 at low idle.

I'd consider a small one like that though. But I'm gonna use this for hauling my 3 Dirtbikes too when me and my friends go to Hollister, and those smaller trucks seem to get loaded hard with that kind of loads. And I plan on muddin in this thing, so got to be 4X4, not way lifted but a decent height to it.

But for my landskaping purposes sounds like that truck woulda worked great!

Man love carbs too. But those real old trucks are old, so for landskaping I'd be a little worried about relibility. I know the how well built they are, but there still 40+ years old. BUT, I bet with all the complications of todays trucks, they won't be around without problems so much in 50+ years and the odometer rolled over! SO many things to go wrong.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:19 AM   #15
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,476
search my post here and you ll find I started far to many threads about trailers. Right now royal enfield is blowing out the pv 41 clone single wheel trailers for 550. If you google honda helix the duck under google images your find pictures of a home made side car. rather simple but has to be done right. Wheel lead etc. I ve also posted threads in the past about sidecars if you search for them. Search for single wheel .com for ideas for trailers.