Contour+ 28 43.75%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-16-2012, 07:31 AM   #16
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
For dirt bike speeds in the woods the sound is fine. For road riding above maybe 30 the wind noise can overwhelm the mic.

I love my contour, I'm sure the gopro is very nice as well and I think is a more popular camera overall. But for a quick, I gotta record this!!!, functionality I think the contour is the winner and thats exactly why I like it
The wind noise is greatly improved by gluing a small piece of mic foam over the mic hole on the front.

I have both the Contour 720 and the Roam. I was all set to get a GoPro Hero2, but the Roam was offered at $89, so there was little to lose. The 720 is very saturated, especially in the orange rock of Utah, but I got the mic working perfectly. The Roam was $89 through Amazon, a promo, and I picked it up at the border on my way to Great Falls. I stuck a piece of microphone foam over the mic, turned up the gain in the settings, and it is great. Still wind at high speeds, but in the slower stuff it's going to be perfect. The video is nice, and the colour is much better than the 720.

Here is some footage from the 720.

And here is some from the Roam. The angle is a little low. Aiming it is the biggest issue. You put it on, then realize later that you tip your head different than you originally thought.

Roam footage. This was a quick crop. I haven't done any editing with any footage yet, but you'll get the idea. The wind sound is because the speeds are generally over 90 km/h.

B-Rod screwed with this post 02-16-2012 at 07:46 AM
B-Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:57 AM   #17
JesperP-H OP
Anthro-Rider

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rod View Post
The wind noise is greatly improved by gluing a small piece of mic foam over the mic hole on the front.

I have both the Contour 720 and the Roam. I was all set to get a GoPro Hero2, but the Roam was offered at $89, so there was little to lose. The 720 is very saturated, especially in the orange rock of Utah, but I got the mic working perfectly. The Roam was $89 through Amazon, a promo, and I picked it up at the border on my way to Great Falls. I stuck a piece of microphone foam over the mic, turned up the gain in the settings, and it is great. Still wind at high speeds, but in the slower stuff it's going to be perfect. The video is nice, and the colour is much better than the 720.
Thanks B-Rod!

That is some awesome stuff! Right now the choice is between the Contour+ and the GoPro Hero2 though.

Maybe I should change it in the poll...

Any other input. People have a great deal of experience that I am benefitting greatly from.

DK
JesperP-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:26 AM   #18
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by twintwin View Post
Coming soon the Wi-Fi remote for the Hero2
http://gopro.com/hd-hero-accessories...-remote-combo/

I do not own an actioncam yet, but this specific and indispensable accessory will push me to make the jump for the Gopro very soon. I own a sidecar and I plan to put the actioncam also on the chair, so the Hero2, with its remote, will be for me the only practical way to go.
If that's your main focus in an action cam, why wait for the GoPro when you can get this now???

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...on_Camera.html
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:16 PM   #19
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
I lost a (friend's) Contour on a rocky trail in Spain. Mounting options weren't up to much and with no way of tethering it, I was sure it'd shake loose. I was right. I was only through a fluke we found it again. I agree the 'interface' might be more of a PITA on the GoPro, but now the Hero2 is here and the option of the remote is on the horizon, I am more inclined towards the GoPro (I will get one or the other at the end of the month).
Old 02-16-2012, 04:40 PM   #20
dddd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
gopro can configure the default function on power on like video. so you actually can have a 1 touch record button.

gopro can do 5 MP shots every 1, 2, 5, ... 60 seconds, kinda cool. but didn,t use it much. the gopro last only 2h even when doing just that.

gopro still has a software bug that makes randomly 1 out of about 5 video with a corrupted audio track (the screechy whining metallized sound). No fix yet. Its a bet everytime, that you may loose what should have been a nice audio track for irreproducable souvenir... showstopper if you ask me, but unless stuck on the bike, you only hear wind noise, so not that bad, lucky for us.
dddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:11 AM   #21
nielsm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Hero 2 has better indicators of recording

The new GoPro Hero2 has more lights which flash when it is recording than the original GoPro. This does make it easier to see if you are recording.

Battery life for me was the killer. With the extra battery pac, it's perfect for those long rides where you may want to capture a lot of footage.
nielsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:35 PM   #22
JesperP-H OP
Anthro-Rider

Oddometer: 18
decision made...

Well.. I was the decider. and decided.

I have ordered two GoPro Hero2 motorsports edition. The sales guy talked me into getting the gopro despite it being cheaper - that always impresses me. (oh I know - I have a great deal of idiosyncratic ideas...)

And with the Hero2, oh so many bugs were fixed. Also - as has been mentioned - the whole ecosystem on the Hero2 is just way better than the contour+. And when the Wifi-backpad is released I'm all set.. :)

Thanks for all your input!!!

DK
JesperP-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:53 PM   #23
astrobiker
AstroBiker

Oddometer: 7
GoPro

Here is another vote for the GoPro and this is why

A big part of my touring is making a video and then I give talks and bore family & friends. I started out with an ordinary video camera, then a camera with HD and now a GoPro and I am thinking of upgrading to the new version. Here are my pros & cons

PROS
I mount the GoPro using a RAM mount on the handlebar. You wouldn't catch me with it on my helmet, just asking for trouble if you come off....
On a RAM mount you get a very stable image
It also overcomes the issue of on/off. I turn it around, switch it on and turn it back, easy
Great quality images
Waterproof case
Small & compact
lense is cheap to replace, very important as I find lenses get scratched by dust etc
Battery life is about 4 hrs when running continuous
get cheap accessories from hong kong for battery, chargers

CONS
Button can be fiddly to switch on/off with big gloves
Best to leave it running so editing is a problem but it catches those rare moments
Can't tell easily if battery runs out or card is full

Both are good cameras and I am sure you won't be dissapointed
astrobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:27 AM   #24
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
go pro still has a software bug that makes randomly 1 out of about 5 video with a corrupted audio track (the screechy whining metallized sound). No fix yet. Its a bet everytime, that you may loose what should have been a nice audio track for irreproducable souvenir... showstopper if you ask me, but unless stuck on the bike, you only hear wind noise, so not that bad, lucky for us.
I've not had that happen yet, touch wood.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:59 PM   #25
Kirkster
Parts Murderer

Oddometer: 293
Contour and V.O.I review

Finally a thread this NooB can contribute to

Units I have today are the V.I.O 1.5 and the Contour GPS with bluetooth.

I might pick up a GoPro Hero2 but with the new Contour+ and its microphone jack I might stick with the Contour+, as good audio is important to me.

Yes the GoPro Hero2 has a microphone jack but and in order to get good audio out of the GoPro you have to use the GoPro Skeleton case which negates the water resistance of the GoPro unit in order to plug in the microphone.

Now on to the good stuff....

The V.I.O 1.5 which is 720X480 and 110 field of view at its best resolution. The images are very nice for being non HD. Audio is excellent.

The pros:
Built in Video Screen in the recording unit.
Wireless remote control
AA batteries (if you use rechargeables you can record all day on one set)
Loop mode recording (records constantly but does not save it until you see something worthy of recording and hit the tag button and it then saves that whole loop (loops can be up to 30 minutes)
Rugged and Waterproof as is.
Microphone sounds great as it is usually tucked inside you clothing so no wind noise.
The mounting kit has all kinds of good mounts

The cons:
The damn cord for the camera is a pain if you have it in helmet mount mode as you have to take the recording unit off every time you take off the helmet. This might not be so bad if you don't have the recording unit in your backpack.
AA battery maintenance can be a pain and the 8 battery unit I have takes up a lot of space if you are doing long distance touring with a small light load in mind.

Contour GPS is 1080p with a 135 field of view.

The pros:

Big record button easy to tell if it is recording or not.
Bluetooth allows you to adjust the camera so that you know where it is pointed, a very nice feature
Good video quality.
Replaceable batteries
USB based charging of the batteries means that you can just plug it into you computer to charge the batteries
MicroSD up to 32gigs
GPS is nice to have

The cons:

Short battery life in comparison to the V.I.O.
The battery removal is a bit fiddely and sometimes you need to use needle nose pliers
The 135 field of view is a bit much as you have to ride awful close to get person in front of you to get good action shots
Microphone is crap unless you are standing still. I have yet to glue some microphone foam over the hole but I am not holding my breath about that being able to help at higher speeds.
The mount system is a bit wonky but there is a pretty good diversity of mounting options and they usually hold very well, I have not lost a camera yet.

Wrapping it up...

The V.I.O. unit has a small discrete camera which is nice, but the recorder unit is bulky but you forget about it once it is in a pocket.

The Contour unit is a bit bulkier but still svelte in comparison to the GoPro which is the main reason that I went with the contour at the time as it did not have brick like profile of the GoPro

I like the quality of the GoPro video that I have seen and the Contour+ may equal that but the shape and form of the GoPro has always put me off.

Now onto my peeve My big peeve with all of the newer HD units is the fact that they are going even wider on the field of view 170. At 170 you will need to be "danger close" to the person in front of you in order to get good shots. Who wants to eat roost all the time???

K

Update: Just listened to B-Rod's video with the foam on the mic, will definitely have to try that as it sounds pretty good.
07 WR 450F

Kirkster screwed with this post 02-21-2012 at 05:09 PM
Kirkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:38 AM   #26
deminimis
I Eat Glue

Oddometer: 696
I have a brand new GoPro Hero2 and it won't even turn on. This is not unheard of. In fact, a Google search will bring up a number of hits suggesting it's an almost common problem. I think it's a testimony to GoPro's cheap quality. If GP does not provide a replacement, I'll buy something else (Contour, or...), despite the fact I have a brand new battery bac for the GP (opened it and charged batt before discovering the Hero2 problem, thus not able to return).
YZ85 for The Boy
deminimis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:35 PM   #27
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,409
owned the GP Hero first (original) and now own the Contour GPS. nothing new here, but i prefer the Contour simply for its ease of use and nothing more. that and the ease of mounting it to the side of my helmet.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:16 AM   #28
mspa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
GoPro Hero3 Black

I see it's been months since the last post, so I figure I'd resurrect the thread considering new gear is coming out.

After reviewing pros and cons of Contour and GoPro, I'm planning on getting the new Hero3 Black that is coming out at the end of this month.

The price points on the new Hero3 camera's are $199 (White), $299 (Silver) and $399 (Black). The Black comes with wifi remote ($80 accessory), has 12 mp, 2x sharp (better lens), and better audio. Classed as a professional model, as opposed to the Silver (Prosumer) and White (Consumer). When you look at the extra cost to go "Pro", it makes sense to me. I don't want a camera that in a year or more, I'll look back and wish I spent the extra money.

The variety of accessories is a plus for me, as well as, having the remote I can put on my control grip, is a bigger plus. I think that's safer and more convenient than having to reach to the button on the Contour.

1978 BMW R100S "bitza" (R80/7 frame)
mspa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:21 AM   #29
deminimis
I Eat Glue

Oddometer: 696
I see I never posted a follow-up to my above post. Go Pro was ultra quick on the trigger and sent me a replacement camera even though I didn't have a receipt (it was a gift). Used the camera in Moab and it worked great.

About the only things I don't like is the fish eye lens and the lack of remote, but not enough of an issue to spring for the new H3 when it comes out. Oh, that and I look like a Teletubby.
YZ85 for The Boy
deminimis is offline   Reply With Quote