Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2012, 06:33 PM   #151
orbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdutyGS View Post
Oh Ken that is great, I just love the pictures of the float planes too. Hoping our group goes to the North East next summer to visit and tour Nova Scotia. Though I am really looking forward to going back to Alaska and seeing the things I did not get too this past summer. Would spend more time in the Kenai and hope to fish a day or two.
Thanks for adding your pics.....Man I just love Alaska.
A ride report from Nova Scotia would be good. That's on my short list. Nova Scotia is a long way from OR. but that just means there will be a lot to see before I get there and that is fine with me.
This years ride for me and my wife is Yellowstone area down to 4 corners and New Mexico.
Safe travels, KEN
orbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:44 PM   #152
superdutyGS OP
lone rider

Oddometer: 838
hey

thanks cyclenaut and Crashes.
I didn't camp at all and Wayne and I split lodging and tried to shop the room rates as much as possible. I think I spent about 31-3200 for the whole trip. That includes a rear tire in Anchorage. The cabins we had the first couple days were split 4 ways so really cheap. Hope you get to go in 2013 crashes........I may go back that year. Having a hard time considering other places really.

Set tall in the saddle, hold your head up high...Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky....Live like you aint afraid to die. And don't be scared, just enjoy the ride. "Chris Ledoux"
superdutyGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:01 PM   #153
eemsreno
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 800
SuperdutyGS It was great meeting you and Wayne today. You are lucky to have a friend like Wayne, what a nice guy. I hope we can get together for a ride someday.
Steve
eemsreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:39 PM   #154
superdutyGS OP
lone rider

hey

gotta tell you Steve it absolutely made my day meeting you and seeing the new Tenere. What a neat thing for you to do on your day off. You have my word we will head up your direction next and swap bikes for a bit. I am really anxious to try a little ride on the Tenere and i think you will enjoy a test ride on my new to me GS. Thanks again for making this a great day.

Set tall in the saddle, hold your head up high...Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky....Live like you aint afraid to die. And don't be scared, just enjoy the ride. "Chris Ledoux"
Old 04-24-2012, 10:21 PM   #155
superdutyGS OP
lone rider

bump

not for selfish reasons. got a buddy in ohio looking for my report as he is leaving in June. hope you can find it easier now Kenny.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:39 AM   #156
eemsreno
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 800
Did you pick up that new bike yet? We need Pictures
Old 04-26-2012, 06:19 AM   #157
rick3foxes
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
SuperDuty - thanks for the great RR!
It was reports like this that put plans in motion for my trip. I'm leaving Memorial Day weekend for Prudhoe Bay.
I have my 2003 Concours, my son's old Boy Scout tent, and my mummy bag. That should about take care of it.
I'll be 60 in September, and the first Grandbaby is due in July, so I gotta get this off my bucket list.

I added some places to see along the way based on your great pictures. I know my daily mileage will drop when I get to the beautiful mountain scenery.

I went to Nova Scotia in Sep 2008 to ride the Cabot Trail - it was awesome. I hope you get to go.

I'm sorry to hear about you losing your Mom. Mine just turned 79 Tuesday, and she is leaving tomorrow for her 2nd Alaska cruise.
Hope I don't sound insensitive here, but I think it's better to go quickly than to waste away with a terminal illness.
My grandparents were married 75 years, and toward the end, they were in a rest home but not really very alert. Mom called to say that grandma was fading fast, and a funeral would be coming in a few days. She called the next day to tell me that GRANDPA had passed. Within 24 hours, grandma followed. She never was told that he was gone. We had a double funeral for two people that even death couldn't part.

Rick.

IBA #34583
2003 Connie
"...I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep." - Frost

rick3foxes screwed with this post 04-26-2012 at 06:52 AM
rick3foxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:36 AM   #158
superdutyGS OP
lone rider

wow

Rick, that was a great reply. Happy to hear you are chasing down a bucket list project. That's what is was all about for me. It was on top of the list for me. Really glad you chimed in. Not insensitive at all about the comments on Mom, we are on the same page believe me. I will be anxious to hear about your trip and hope to see a ride report and details from you on your safe return.

Steve, i did get the bike....rode it home from California last week. Rode 904 miles from Death valley to Tucamcari NM on Thursday then 876 miles home Friday ahead of all the tornados. She is awesome and perfect. I am having trouble with my link to the pictures but will try to get a pic of the fat girl up soon!! Great to hear from you and hope you are riding the wheels off the new Tenere. Be safe.

Old 04-26-2012, 06:54 AM   #159
superdutyGS OP
lone rider

the new fat girl

here she is with h
her 41 liter gas tank. will for about 450 miles between fill ups If I am obeying the speed limit.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:12 AM   #160
whatsgnu
Scheissekopf

Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdutyGS View Post
here she is with h
her 41 liter gas tank. will for about 450 miles between fill ups If I am obeying the speed limit.

FAT GIRL ?! More like Super Tanker ! You should be able to in-ride refueling for the guys with you !

Great looking bike and a great ride report !
Tact is for people who aren't witty enough to be sarcastic.
whatsgnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:57 PM   #161
superdutyGS OP
lone rider

gs

I called her the "tanker" when I was emailing the original owner in California. He called her the "valdez". Rode home 1780 miles and left bakersfield with a full tank and rode all the way to Mo and only got gas 4 more times. Very convenient. I love this bike.....

Old 05-03-2012, 08:18 PM   #162
judgebill
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Leaving Los Angeles for Arctic Circle June 23, 2012

SuperdutyGS, thanks for sharing your adventure with all us dreamers. I'm scheduled to live my dream next month. Originally had 3 others primed and ready, all have bailed. Circumstances beyond their control. I'm determined to make it. Riding a K1600 GTL, which should be an adventure in itself. Really appreciate your details and definitely will carry along my Milepost for all the information it provides. Life is too short to not do the things about which you are passionate...and I've been passionate about making this trip for two years now. I live in Uruguay and wish I could ride from here but time and money won't allow that so I fly to LA and bike from there. From the responses looks like others will also be on the road. Hope to meet some along the way. Your words are an inspiration and set an excellent example of a great ride report.
Bill
judgebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:18 AM   #163
JasonLester
Riding north

Oddometer: 188
First off great ride report. I love reading them and its nice to see people taking the time...love this site for that...

Next I was in Mt Rushmore and Glacier a couple days before you. We were there the opening day for the road...lots of snow...we (my dad and I) actually did a similar trip to yours in 2010...and now in three weeks we are going again...last year I took the wife and kids up to glacier then down to yellowstone etc...it was fun but I love riding north.

Oh and 800 miles a day is crazy...how did you see anything....next time slow down and enjoy LOL...
JasonLester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:31 AM   #164
Gramp-Z
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 766
Thanks for the ride report ! I made a feeble attempt to go to D2D last year and and screwed up and didn't follow my own route . Ran into several other inmates shortly after leaving home and road "their" route . Well after 13 hours and a little over 500 miles on my Wee Strom I was done for . Next day my shoulder and hip were toast . Didn't want to risk ruining a later planned 3 week family trip so I turned around and limped home . Funny thing is , 800 mile days on my V-45 Sabre are no problem , but 500 a day on my DL650 kill me . Was hoping to try again this year , but time and money just aren't there . Maybe next year . I will keep an eye out for any further reports from you , enjoy your style . BTW , nice tanker !
Old Man plays with his Wee
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608068
Gramp-Z is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:08 PM   #165
superdutyGS OP
lone rider

replies

thanks your gentleman........it's input from the readers that makes is so fun to write one of these. I appreciate you Judgebill, and lasonlester and Grampz