User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2012, 09:40 AM   #106
superdutyGS OP
lone rider

Oddometer: 846
More Miles today

we had filled up last night with the plan to Make some serious miles again today. We were on the road before
the little restaraunt opened at the hotel. 150 miles down the roda we stopped and filled up the bikes and our stomachs. Pancakes as usual for both of us. Amazing how predictable we both are. We would ride past Whitehorse and on to Watson Lake again stopping only for fuel. At Watson lake you can continue on the Alcan
highway or turn south on the Cassiar highway. We had decided long ago to take the Cassiar. While getting ful at this junction we met 4 guys that were riding north to Prudhoe Bay. They had left Argentina 55 days ago. Talk about a trip of a lifetime. The bottom of South America to the top of North America. Only one of the guys spoke English and he wasn't great with it. Wayne visited with him a bit but not as much as he would have liked. They were getting ready to leave as we arrived.
Here is a couple pictures from this encounter.

and other

they were mostly of retirement age. the guy on the blue BMW adventure was getting ready to
pull away and his bike fell over on him. You know these are not light and expecially when fully loaded for a 20,000 mile trip. I got it back up on two wheels with him and he was very appreciative. Nothing damaged and he and I had a good laugh about it. He was about 65 and appreciated the help. Wouldn't that be an awesome trip.
It would nice if we could travel through Mexico and Central America with no fear for our safety.
We made it about 200 miles down the Cassiar before we stopped for the night. My journal say 814 miles for today.
Not Bad. We stopped for the night at a very nice place where again we had reservations. One lasting impression
from the Alcan and less populated stretchs. You better have a reservation. This place was sold out too.
A couple from Germany got in about 10 minutes behind us. They didn't speak much English but knew
what "Nazi" meant. It would be good advice on my part at this point to advise you not to call strangers from
Germany "Nazi" even in jest. They are not really receptive to this kind of humor so please don't do that. I am half German and have a decent sense of humor. Perhaps it came from my Mom's irish and Lakota indian bloodlines. (Just kidding guys, I wouldn't do that even to get a rise out of somebody)
They were a nice couple and we got along fine. There were also 4 couples on harleys staying just down the hall.
They said they were trying to average 350-400 miles a day and thought our 800 mile days were insane.
here is the bike the German wife was on, I thought I had one of his too but can't find it.
. Was also interesting what folks would say about the Cassiar. We had some people tell us it was miserable horrible road. It was not, it was fantastic. Had a few bouncy stretches from repairs and it is quite narrow but so far we absolutely love it.

Had a nice meal at a bar/lodge rigth behind the hotel. The two guys running it were hilarious and obviously best friends. They asked where we were staying and we said right next door. One of the guys said he usually ended up sleeping under the pool table and it always surprised him when he woke up there. Long day and with my newly aquired ear plugs I slept great. Our goal is to get back to the lower 48 via the ice fileds parkway again in two more Days. Still almost 1600 miles to Montana. Half each the next two days.
If I haven't mentioned it yet........Alaska is a long ways from Missouri.
Will be a 750-800 mile day again so better get some rest.

Set tall in the saddle, hold your head up high...Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky....Live like you aint afraid to die. And don't be scared, just enjoy the ride. "Chris Ledoux"

superdutyGS screwed with this post 02-24-2012 at 12:25 PM
superdutyGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:42 AM   #107
Dakota62
Prime of Senility

Oddometer: 56
Great RR! I am glad you are including the people you met along the way. I always think that the riders blasting from A to B miss out on the social aspect of a trip. Amazing how items that only cost a few bucks (ear plugs) can change your whole day!
I do have a question; you made reservations for accommodations on this trip, did you make these months before you left on the trip or called a few days ahead of arriving?
Dakota62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:00 PM   #108
superdutyGS OP
lone rider

reservations

we had the first week or so planned and reservations Made. We had the rooms in Alliance, the cabin in Hardin and West Glacier and then the room in Banff all booked. We left the next night open because we were told Grand Prairie had lots of lodging and no reservation needed. Then we had the room booked at Watson Lake reserved.
Beaver Creek also was reserved before we left as well as the 3 nights at the Universtiy in Fairbanks. After we got to Fairbanks we would use our cell phone and look through the Milepost and make reservations one day ahead. Sometimes we had too check with 2 or 3 places but we always found something. That's not as hard in Alaska as it is on the Alcan or Cassiar. There we were still okay a day early but I know that room on the Cassiar we booked the day before and she had 1 left in a hotel that probably had 50-60 rooms.

Set tall in the saddle, hold your head up high...Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky....Live like you aint afraid to die. And don't be scared, just enjoy the ride. "Chris Ledoux"
Old 02-24-2012, 12:23 PM   #109
superdutyGS OP
lone rider

back to the report

Well this too would be a long day but beautiful ride. As you might expect I am just about out of pictures also. After today I think I have only a couple in fact. We would ride better than 740 miles for the 3rd straight day, and believe it or not, longer days are just ahead although we had not planned it that way. The Cassiar is remarkable. Wish I had my doggone Map I gave to those guys in without so much as a 2nd thought. Oh wait I have an Atlas. Once you ride the Cassiar you get on the Yellowhead Highway which would take us to prince George and a little beyond. People recommended we not stay in Prince as if was overpriced so we rode about 100 miles beyond in McBride.
First here are some pictures from the remainder of the Cassiar. I highly recommend you include this in your journey coming back.
Saw this French guy when we got gas in a Puch utility vehicle. Was going to visit a bit but he wasn't good with English and the only French I know is French fries.

and the road views are spectacular.

would loved to have fished this spot.......

Now my favorite picture of the whole trip. Nothing beats riding into a cloud does it???

All in all an uneventful 740 miles where we met some nice folks. By the way the hotel in McBride was also full.
Our plan for tomrrow is to reach Montana.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:48 PM   #110
superdutyGS OP
lone rider

Last Day in the great white north you hosers

would be a tiring 700 mies today. Hard to make any time on the Icefields Parkway was part of it. 700 miles really is nothing for me most days. Maybe it is because we have ridden 2200 the past 3 days. Maybe it is just because we didn't have much great scenery the first third. Don't know but it seems like we made horrible progress today. 700 miles and we would be in Great Falls. Of course we lost some time to the time zone change again. Ice fields was beautiful and seeing it a 2nd time is not a deterrant, it is just as special.
This snow is maybe 50-60 feet deep on top of this mountain..

And more of the same.........you don't get tired of it though.

This truck passed me in northern Montana......I liked it a lot.

Still not sure why the day seemed so long. maybe the time zone loss was a factor but I was really surpised it was 9:00 when we got to Great Falls MT. As mentioned earlier we had no cell Phone usage all the way across
Canada. So when we got checked into a hotel we called home. My wife asked if I got her voice message from this morning and I had not. She told me My mother had had a massive heart attack the night before. She lived in a rural area and though she had called 911 it took a while before emts arrived. She was found uncouncious on the floor. The doctors believed she had been a lengthy time without oxygen to her brain. She was on life support in Quincy Ill after being air lifted. They were giving here virtually no chance to survive.
You can imagine my shock. and frustration. I was close to 1600 miles from home (I29 was closed for flooding)and needed to be there NOW.
I told Wayne I would get an early start and do the best I could. I told Wayne not to worry about finishing the trip with me as I would be pushing myself pretty hard. We looked on the map and Wayne calmed me down a bit. I was thinking maybe I could ride it straight through. My longest straight through ride was in '08 when I did 1216 miles in perfect conditions. Coming off 3 very long days in a row I doubted I could do 1600 but decided to try. What I didn't know was my wife had called Wayne's wife and asked her to get Wayne to try to talk me out that before I could even try it. Wayne reminded me that if I had an accident on the way home I would only be compounding the problem.
That made sense. My fear was I would not get home to see Mom before she passed away. We agreed to ride about half of it to Cheyenne Wyoming and Wayne's wife got us a hotel reservation for us. Not much else I could do. Went to bed but sure didn't get much sleep.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:14 PM   #111
superdutyGS OP
lone rider

next to last day

Well, as you might expect I wasn't in much of a mood to ride today. We started out early enough
as it would be a long HOT day. Somewhere shortly after crossing into Wyoming mid day I got a flat tire. I knew my mind would be elsrwhere today so I asked Wayne to lead. I saw him wave and point to a piece of plywood on the road....about the same time I ran over it. Sh##.
Half hour later I am tooling along about 80 when the bike starts fishtailing. I knew what it was, not my first flat. Guess that plywood had a screw in it which I had toted for a while but it had backed out. We had on Scala head sets which Wayne insisted on and I told him.......Flat tire boss.
I got her off to the side. Pulled the fat girl up on the center stand and looked it over. Rolled the tire slowly and found the hole dead center on the tread. Excellent, I can fix this. Wayne got turned around and bock to me. I unpacked the bike and dug my tire plug kit out of the lesft Jesse. Propped up swing arm and plugged the tire
without removing the wheel. Worth a try. Got about 20 psi form two CO2 cartridges. We are only about 10 miles form a town. Put all my gear and the Jesse's back on. Rode slowly into town and topped off the air to 45psi. Soap tested the plug and no air bubbles. Maybe I was going to get lucky. We agreed to ride about 65 mph to the next town and check the pressure again. 45 miles later......still have 43 psi. Put her back to 45 and long story
short it stayed there the rest of the trip. We got to Cheyenne and checked into an old 6 story hotel downtown.
Tiny elevators... I had a bag of potato chips and a granola bar for supper. The room was supposed to be for two right. Had a king size bed. I aired up the air mattress and went to bed. After a mostly sleepness night the night before I slept some tonight. My lesson from the day..........Tylenol PM is worth every penny. Tubelss tires are a Godsend, a 10 dollar tire plug kit is truly priceless when it works
. I would be home tomorrow night. I checked in with Angie at home, and no change in my Mom's condition. 760 miles to go. Air matresses aren't too bad you know. Sorry no pictures. Should have got one fixing the flat. The only sour part of the trip was while I was fixing the tire 4 or 5 guys rode by on harleys and I never even heard the throttle back off. Shouldn't throw HD riders under the bus like that as I am one also. But it was disappointing. I have ridden hundreds of thousands of miles thes past 30 years and I have never once not stopped to see if I could help. Some guys don't think like that. I can say the 3 guys I left with on this trip would never ride past a guy broke down and working on his bike. It isn't in them. Was time for Sturgis and we were not terribly far from there so maybe they were just in a hurry. And maybe they thought I looked incredibly capable. I kind of doubt that last part though. One more day and the report is done my friends.

superdutyGS screwed with this post 02-24-2012 at 03:00 PM
Old 02-24-2012, 01:35 PM   #112
superdutyGS OP
lone rider

last day

A little under 800 miles and I'll be home. I need to be home. Our plans to visit Yellowstone and bear tooth pass will wait. My thanks to Wayne for being a supportive and unconditional riding partner. The trip has been the highlight of my riding life. No pictures and no memories for today. We pushed the bikes about 10 over the
speed limit and got home by 9pm. 11,000 spectacular and trouble free miles. We met wonderful people and saw some of God's greatest miracles of nature. My love for Alaska has grown and I have no doubt I will be back, and hopefully will have an opportunity to stay for a couple months some day. I have so many people to be thankful too. My wife and sons that understood and supported my desire to make this trip. My friends Scott and Jerry that accompanied us the first half of the trip and expecially Wayne. This was number one on my bucket list and Wayne's willingness to join me and work with my agenda was worth more than I can put in words.
What a remarkable adventure. I will be happy to answer any questions I can if you see something in the ride report
that creates a question. Thanks for reading along and I hoped you enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed writing it and reliving it. One last pic of the fat girl when we got home.......

On a sidebar........
I was at the hospital with my Mom the next morning at 7am. at 11am her brain stem activity seized. At 11:21 she died. She never regained consciuosness. She was in no pain, and lived 80 years under her terms. No cancer, no altzheimers, no nursing home. Independent until her last week of life. There is much to be grateful for in that I believe, and grateful I am.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:08 PM   #113
LumpyOne
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
Mixed feelings

What an amazing adventure and wonderful pictures. I am planning on doing this trip with my son when he graduates high school 2018! Plenty of time to plan and drool over these ride reports. Thanks for sharing everything with us.

I am so sorry for your loss! I know the feeling and cant believe it has been almost 3 years. Glad that she was rock solid for 80 years. Mine dealt with health issues for 15 years and then passed at 65, way too young.

Thanks again and glad you are home safe with your family!
LumpyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:23 PM   #114
Dakota62
Prime of Senility

Oddometer: 56
Your mom knew you were doing something you loved to do. Even though she didn't regain consciousness it is no coinsindence that she waited for you to be there before she passed. As you said, she did everything on her terms.

As for the RR, great job, really enjoyed it and look forward to hearing more tales from the handlebars of the fat girl.
Dakota62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:49 PM   #115
superdutyGS OP
lone rider

I don't want this to turn into something different than it was meant to be. The trip was the best adventure of my life. My mother was a remarkable person that taught us all to chase our dreams and live fearlessly. He heart attack and passing was part of the trip report as it changed how it would have ended. I appreciate your very kind words but hope the sharing of those details dos not change any of the magic that occurred on this trip. My mother is now in heavan I know and believe me she was excited about getting there. Thanks again for your kind words friends.
I hope every rider reading this gets the same opportunity to chase the dreams they have.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:19 PM   #116
eemsreno
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 903
SuperdutyGS
Great report and very glad to know without a doubt you know where your mom is spending eternity.
Do you recognize this guy? He was from Austria and made it to Deadhorse.
eemsreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:37 PM   #117
superdutyGS OP
lone rider

utility vehicle

Hey buddy we did not see this. Unimog is it? I love these type vehicles and want one on my own someday. Neat picture and glad you posted it. Hope you make it down this way sometime, or perhaps I will taek ride to Batavia. Let you meet the new far girl. She is waiting for me in California now, paid for and waiting for me to do a fly/ride in April.
Can't wait to get out there. She is even fatter with a 10 gallon TT tank. whooo hooo.........

byt he way I just mapquested it. Only 145 miles to your town from here.

superdutyGS screwed with this post 02-24-2012 at 06:42 PM
Old 02-24-2012, 07:02 PM   #118
LumpyOne
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
French Guy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eemsreno View Post
SuperdutyGS
Great report and very glad to know without a doubt you know where your mom is spending eternity.
Do you recognize this guy? He was from Austria and made it to Deadhorse.
Isn't this the French guy you mentioned in your last post? It looks different because it has it's camper popped and a bit dirtier .
LumpyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:08 PM   #119
superdutyGS OP
lone rider

holy cow

this cold medicine has me off my game. Yep, I looked at both pictures and I believe you are correct. The camper up caused me to not even consider that. DUH. Yep that has to be the same vehicle......
if fact when I saw it on the cassiar I thought it was a unimog. I am consistently stupid.
Long ways up to deadhorse. The guy told me he got like 16 miles a gallon which is impressive for anything with a tandem axle.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:20 PM   #120
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,719
Thanks for sharing your Epic Ride Report. We rode from TX to Alaska and back 4 years ago. You brought back great memories. And speaking of memories, Your moms last memories of you were out doing what you loved doing. And that is priceless, may she rest in Heaven forever with great memories of a devoted and loving Son. Life is never meant to be taken for granted but to be lived each day to the fullest. You are proof of that. And so is she....
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote