Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2012, 10:18 AM   #91
Beer
950 SE

Oddometer: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
Ok folks, a quick heads-up about noise and conduct on the trails. Please read the link as most of the rides will travel through one end or the other of Glyn Ceiriog Valley:-
http://www.bordercountiesadvertizer....sh-valley.aspx

Noisey bikes won't help so baffles in please and when on the trails, keep in the track.
There's a good chance PC Plod will be about, mostly looking for illegal off roading but may take an interest in a group of us if they have reason too.
To coin one of Mr Squibb's phases..... keep it in stealth mode!

Cheers.
Timpo.
I was out Fri, Sat and Sunday last weekend on the 300 and I have never seen it so quiet - unfortunately in two weeks time the rugby won't be on!

http://950superenduro.com
Beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:08 PM   #92
Pumpy
Exiled Pumpernickel

Oddometer: 1,099
While recce-ing the Ladies route with Louis at the weekend, we came across this sign at the east end of Waterfall Lane:

The sign doesn't appear to be official and the gate was not actually locked - but...

... does anyone know what's going on here?

Cheers!
Old 03-13-2012, 12:45 AM   #93
GFJ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Hi Pumpy

I came down that one approx 3 weeks ago and it was all passable. There was rumoured to be a similar sign at the top end but if there was, it must have been discarded in the bushes somewhere as it wasn't obvious (the top gate also looked like it was locked but it wasn't)

Maybe a quick call to the LA to check, but I do think it is a DIY sign. Perhaps also have a back-up deviation in mind just in case?

Gareth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy View Post
While recce-ing the Ladies route with Louis at the weekend, we came across this sign at the east end of Waterfall Lane:

The sign doesn't appear to be official and the gate was not actually locked - but...

... does anyone know what's going on here?

Cheers!
GFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:30 AM   #94
Hew
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
To add a bit to this. A came across the signs last autumn but ignored them as there has been a fair bit of history to this lane with gates being locked at both ends. I think that one a 4x4 driver raised a crime number for this when he cut some locks off and handed them in at a Police station.
As I approached the end with the photos I was challenged by the landowner/ pheasant farmer? who asked me if I could read.
Yes was my answer.
He asked me why I was using the road.
I replied that it was a county road.
Not any longer was his reply.
I told him that it still was as far as I was aware and that the signs did not look official.
He maintained that the council had supplied the signs.
I left stating that I would check with the council.
3+ months later no reply from the council but it is safe to say that it is legal to use but you may be challenged.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:14 AM   #95
Timpo
NORTH WALES TRF.

Oddometer: 2,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hew View Post
To add a bit to this. A came across the signs last autumn but ignored them as there has been a fair bit of history to this lane with gates being locked at both ends. I think that one a 4x4 driver raised a crime number for this when he cut some locks off and handed them in at a Police station.
As I approached the end with the photos I was challenged by the landowner/ pheasant farmer? who asked me if I could read.
Yes was my answer.
I told him that it still was as far as I was aware and that the signs did not look official.
3+ months later no reply from the council but it is safe to say that it is legal to use but you may be challenged.
This route is an Unclassified County Road, it's open to use.

Timpo screwed with this post 03-13-2012 at 11:36 AM
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 03:39 PM   #96
Pumpy
Exiled Pumpernickel

Oddometer: 1,099
Waterfall Lane

Thanks everyone for your input, much appreciated.

We left the lane out on Saturday and recced the alternative route through the forest instead, as I thought I'd ask the more local trail riders on here first before leading my group into a potential minefield.

I may also approach the county council for advice...
Old 03-15-2012, 06:02 AM   #97
Timpo
NORTH WALES TRF.

Oddometer: 2,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy View Post
I may also approach the county council for advice...
If you do Pumpy, the road is number is U2032.
Powys County Council Highways Dept are usually quite approachable, although a little slow in removing a complete obstructionon a route.
Try giving them a call and see what they say......

T.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:04 PM   #98
Hew
Gnarly Adventurer

First ride out on the XR for 6 months.
Not all found it easy

Old 03-15-2012, 03:28 PM   #99
Jasext
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Nice video Hew, how the hell did you get 52 mins of footage and upload it to youtube ?
Old 03-15-2012, 03:36 PM   #100
Hew
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasext View Post
Nice video Hew, how the hell did you get 52 mins of footage and upload it to youtube ?
I got a message a while ago from You Tube saying I could now upload videos longer than 15 mins.
So I have
It took approx 32 hours to upload this one.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:44 AM   #101
timolgra1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 475
Off out to recce my groups Saturday ride tomorrow and will have a look at Sunday's ride during the week.

Looking forward to getting out with you all
timolgra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 03:57 PM   #102
Pampera
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
Ok folks, a quick heads-up about noise and conduct on the trails. Please read the link as most of the rides will travel through one end or the other of Glyn Ceiriog Valley:-
http://www.bordercountiesadvertizer....sh-valley.aspx

Noisey bikes won't help so baffles in please and when on the trails, keep in the track.
There's a good chance PC Plod will be about, mostly looking for illegal off roading but may take an interest in a group of us if they have reason too.
To coin one of Mr Squibb's phases..... keep it in stealth mode!

Cheers.
Timpo.

I've put on my TRF hat, and responded as follows:

Your story titled Off-road thrill seekers (6 March) is unclear and potentially misleading.

If these people are, as you allege, driving off road, then they are committing an offence unless they have the landowner's permission, and the police can act.

If they are on a vehicular right of way, then normal traffic laws apply, and the police can act if they are being broken.

The fact that the police are aware, and not acting, suggests that no laws are being broken, and the 'problem' is perhaps being exaggerated.
Pampera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:02 PM   #103
Pampera
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hew View Post
Yes was my answer.
If it's on the definitive map as a footpath or bridleway then even if it's on the list of streets it may not have vehic rights under NERC...you could check it on the DM.
Pampera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:18 PM   #104
Dazzer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 584
if it help's
Back on Basils do up in the Dales.
all the bikes on the 2 easy ride outs were looked over by the Police while we were having breakfast in the cafe.

If you have a small number plate they will fine you .
if your exhaust is not legal they will also fine you.

However if your tyres are marked not for road use they will impound your bike.

The police have clamped down on trail bikes in our area, if they are going to be doing the same in Wales its worth getting your bike 100% legal if you dont want the hassle

Have Fun

Dazzer
Old 03-17-2012, 07:07 PM   #105
Hew
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampera View Post
If it's on the definitive map as a footpath or bridleway then even if it's on the list of streets it may not have vehic rights under NERC...you could check it on the DM.
Straight forward UCR.

The landowner has build a pheasant farm/shoot alongside the road. At certain times of year there are thousands of fledglings all over the road. That is why he is continually trying to stop people using the road.