ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: What Size Shirt Do You Want?
Sm 0 0%
Med 2 6.90%
Lg 10 34.48%
XL 9 31.03%
XXL 7 24.14%
XXXL 1 3.45%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-07-2012, 02:49 AM   #496
dirtdadx
Noob ad Infinitum

Oddometer: 480
I managed to pull off a similar "Cathy" in just a half day of riding. At this rate my Zegas will have half their rated volume soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar2112 View Post
All I know is that I have a beauty mark on my right pannier from a "Cathy" so I am not voting.
dirtdadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:29 AM   #497
Haywood
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Thumb

Good ride! Thank you to those who put it together AND to the fine folks who brought the beer.

When's the next one?
Haywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:56 AM   #498
Dan Diego
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
Thumb

To say I'm envious is an understatement. Blake, Craig, Yeti, Shunka, FuzzyNugs, Cathy...you looked like you had a blast and I'm sorry I didn't see Round II in person! That beer looked great.

Glad everyone made it back safe. Now wipe those silly smiles off your faces.

Sorry I missed this one, but I am planning on The Trifecta; I hear it's in the works...

Dan

Triumph Rocket III Touring, KTM 990 ADV
Dan Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:06 AM   #499
Shunka
Supervision Required

Oddometer: 3,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdarling View Post

I'll be working on the trophy for the next ride...I salvaged all the materials required on Thomas Mountain.

-B
Does Cathy still have hers? Since it's named after her it would only be appropriate to use hers if she does. Yours will do if not though.
Shunka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:48 AM   #500
Shunka
Supervision Required

Oddometer: 3,490
One more thing...

All refreshment donations collected this weekend will be applied to the supplies for the next get together. After hearing the dates thrown around @ this trip for the summer gathering I doubt I will be able to make the summer trip but should be able to make the fall get together.
Shunka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:01 AM   #501
Afry
Why hike?

Oddometer: 533
Thanks Craig, Blake, Roger and anyone else that contributed to a GREAT ride. Day one trails rocked but day two was EPIC! This route was extremely well put together, we did 100 miles of dirt and less than 45 of slab on Sunday... that's a good ratio!

After Mike single handedly destroyed at least half of the group on Saturday night (love that Dead guy ale) the groups rearranged for day two. My group 3 (small fries) went from 11 to 7 riders including additions Craig and Dave from another group.

Props to Bob, Craig, Dan, Paul and Rodger in our group which I believe (judging by tire tracks) were the only ones to complete the whole ride as mapped. Anyone that missed Bee Canyon and the rest of day two will have a great ride for another day.

We did find a great campsites for future rides and one top secret site for a small group that was nicknamed by Dirtyrocks as Shangri-La.

Notes:
Leader should not fall over in front of his group when standing still....not confidence inspiring
Shunka should quit his day job and brew for a living
JoeBobShmo needs crash bars (hard charger award)... Not once but twice!
Bowtech needs wire wheels or a klr.. I said it.
Tvscum should bring a hammer or hit smaller rocks
Dirtyrocks gets klr rider award for milk crate luggage - very cool
Klr's do break down - kickstand switch 10 miles into ride...going to disable mine now.

Last but not least...JoeBobShmo rode best sweep ever... seriously!

Craig remarked at the end of the trail that it was his best day ever on a motorcycle and I second that.

Get on with riding or get on with dying - one or the other
Afry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:09 AM   #502
SQ Beemer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shunka View Post
All refreshment donations collected this weekend will be applied to the supplies for the next get together. ...
There is so much win right here.
SQ Beemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:14 AM   #503
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shunka View Post
All refreshment donations collected this weekend will be applied to the supplies for the next get together. After hearing the dates thrown around @ this trip for the summer gathering I doubt I will be able to make the summer trip but should be able to make the fall get together.
Pssst... Scotch Ale.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:22 AM   #504
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,574
Super day
Super route
Super campfire

All the way around excellent

I was having such a great time that I blew past the turn off for the campground and had to turn around about 4-5 miles down Hwy 243.
Oh darn, had to ride up the hill again.

Thanks to Craig, Blake, and Roger for all the effort and planning, thanks to Hell On Wheels for being a great group of riders, and special thanks to the brewmaster.

Thanks!
CA Stu

PS KLRs do NOT "break down", they "fail to proceed".

Old 05-07-2012, 12:02 PM   #505
Haywood
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afry View Post
Thanks Craig, Blake, Roger and anyone else that contributed to a GREAT ride. Day one trails rocked but day two was EPIC! This route was extremely well put together, we did 100 miles of dirt and less than 45 of slab on Sunday... that's a good ratio!

After Mike single handedly destroyed at least half of the group on Saturday night (love that Dead guy ale) the groups rearranged for day two. My group 3 (small fries) went from 11 to 7 riders including additions Craig and Dave from another group.

Props to Bob, Craig, Dan, Paul and Rodger in our group which I believe (judging by tire tracks) were the only ones to complete the whole ride as mapped. Anyone that missed Bee Canyon and the rest of day two will have a great ride for another day.

We did find a great campsites for future rides and one top secret site for a small group that was nicknamed by Dirtyrocks as Shangri-La.

Notes:
Leader should not fall over in front of his group when standing still....not confidence inspiring
Shunka should quit his day job and brew for a living
JoeBobShmo needs crash bars (hard charger award)... Not once but twice!
Bowtech needs wire wheels or a klr.. I said it.
Tvscum should bring a hammer or hit smaller rocks
Dirtyrocks gets klr rider award for milk crate luggage - very cool
Klr's do break down - kickstand switch 10 miles into ride...going to disable mine now.

Last but not least...JoeBobShmo rode best sweep ever... seriously!

Craig remarked at the end of the trail that it was his best day ever on a motorcycle and I second that.
I would have liked to have ridden the second day with you guys but I, umm, 'lost' you guys right there in Idyllwild. I ended up at the tail end of the long sting of bikes leaving the campground. I saw a bunch of bikes pulling into the first gas station and turned in there. I started looking around and by the time I figured out none of group three was there I knew you guys were already gone. I ended up riding part of the way back with another group, not sure which one. It's OK though, it was a great weekend.
Haywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:02 PM   #506
Bynoid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Thanks from me too!

I had a great time! Blake led our group really well and I know all had an awesome trip and really appreciate his and the other organizer's efforts on this thing. Great way to put faces and "real" names to these inmates also. Hope to make another one in the future.

Mike
Old 05-07-2012, 01:32 PM   #507
Afry
Why hike?

Oddometer: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
I would have liked to have ridden the second day with you guys but I, umm, 'lost' you guys right there in Idyllwild. I ended up at the tail end of the long sting of bikes leaving the campground. I saw a bunch of bikes pulling into the first gas station and turned in there. I started looking around and by the time I figured out none of group three was there I knew you guys were already gone. I ended up riding part of the way back with another group, not sure which one. It's OK though, it was a great weekend.
Yeah bummer I saw you up ahead while we were grouping up further back and we lost you and JP as the first group turned left leaving the campground. The tail head was only a quarter mile from the campground if you had turned right on the main road. Leaves a great trail for you to explore next time!

Get on with riding or get on with dying - one or the other
Afry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:35 PM   #508
Strega
Black is a color

Oddometer: 471
I had a great ride and look forward to doing it again soon.

Thanks to Shunka for the beverages and Stu for leading our group of misfits. I'll throw up my pics as soon as I yank em off the camera!

Bikes: ['09 KTM 690 RR]['98 KTM 620 Adv]['07 WR 450F]['99 YAM R6]
Duties: [D37 - GPS Coordinator][C.O.R.E - VP / Site Admin]
Support: [Where Am I Riding][Dual Sport Moto][C.O.R.E.][Nomadic Racks][Dual Sport Maps]
Strega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:40 PM   #509
bigtodd
Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer: 1,350
Great Ride! Thanks to all the organizers

The "Hell on Wheels" crew were just that, other than lunch I can only remember stopping deliberatley once (frigging Toyota truck parade). Took a pretty good digger on a rutted downhill left, note to self ... don't try and keep up with WR 450 on the GSA

Shunka Brew Dead Guy Ale and Arogant Bastard ... jeez, still trying to figure out how and when I got in my tent.

The tracks for day 2 were amazing ... it seemed like every turn had a 3' berm built into them. Too bad the first 20 minutes I felt like pure shit (see above).

SPOT - bigtodd - where I at now?
bigtodd.whereamiriding.com
bigtodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:08 PM   #510
Strega
Black is a color

Oddometer: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtodd View Post
Great Ride! Thanks to all the organizers
I see ya rawkin the WhereAmIRiding link in your sig, right on!!

Seriously, is there ANYONE with a SPOT that hasn't signed up there yet?!?

Bikes: ['09 KTM 690 RR]['98 KTM 620 Adv]['07 WR 450F]['99 YAM R6]
Duties: [D37 - GPS Coordinator][C.O.R.E - VP / Site Admin]
Support: [Where Am I Riding][Dual Sport Moto][C.O.R.E.][Nomadic Racks][Dual Sport Maps]
Strega is offline   Reply With Quote