Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2014, 08:24 AM   #1
RODBOLT OP
Stay thirsty!

Oddometer: 39
My turn in the Face Plant complete with internal bleeding.

Well after 25 years of riding dirt bikes with only relatively minor injuries to show for it I went and seriously tore myself up. Last Friday evening at the end of a great day of riding while hot dogging a little with one of my buddies I lost control and body slammed the ground on my left side. The roads are all terribly rutted from the spring thaw and all I can figure is that the rut or a rock I didn't see kicked my rear tire out to the right and I fell on my left side. I came down hard on my ribs and shoulder on the edge of the rut on the left side of the road and slid a ways. I got up and knew right away from the pain and discomfort that I was pretty hurt. After at least a half hour of laying in the grass and collecting myself I managed to saddle up and ride the 20 or 30 miles of gravel/paved roads back to the truck.

Long story short after nearly passing out a few times and pain that I can't describe I ended up in the ER very early the next morning. After a look over, some pain meds and a CT Scan I was admitted to the hospital with two broken ribs and a lacerated spleen. Fortunately, by the time of the scan the internal bleeding had stopped and they opted to let my spleen heal. Two days in the hospital showed no more signs of bleeding and I'm currently going crazy in the recliner healing. No more dirt biking, heavy lifting or anything that exposes me to a fall for the rest of the summer.

Now for the question everyone wants to ask. I was wearing just about every piece of safety gear except a chest protector. My buddies I was with wear the typical "roost guards" that are open on the sides. I'm convinced this would not have helped me in a direct blow to my side like this. However, I'm looking very seriously at the TekVest and the Leatt 5.5 HD. I'm definitely open to input from guys with personal experience and hey, I've got the rest of the year to shop around!

Also, one of the guys I was riding with is convinced that these wrecks are are worse and more common on bigger high horsepower bikes (I was on an XR650R) with softer suspension (keep in mind he's on a 200 2-stroke). I don't buy it but I'm open to sage advice.

All in all I feel fortunate that I was not hurt worse considering the potential dangers of internal injuries. You all be safe out there, it only takes one get off on a "casual weekend ride".

Reed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
RODBOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:11 AM   #2
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,328
I guess you got lucky, and odd, when I did the spleen, they did not tell me no riding.
I broke a lot more bones, but was riding as soon as all the bones healed up.

Big tall heavy bikes with lots of power in the dirt, what could go wrong?
I did my big crash on a dr650, not as tall, a little more weight maybe?
Low speed in the whoops, high sside into the next one with the bike behind me.

Now I ride an XT200 at 230 pounds, and its a hoot!

What about street riding?
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:26 AM   #3
RODBOLT OP
Stay thirsty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
I guess you got lucky, and odd, when I did the spleen, they did not tell me no riding.
I broke a lot more bones, but was riding as soon as all the bones healed up.

Big tall heavy bikes with lots of power in the dirt, what could go wrong?
I did my big crash on a dr650, not as tall, a little more weight maybe?
Low speed in the whoops, high sside into the next one with the bike behind me.

Now I ride an XT200 at 230 pounds, and its a hoot!

What about street riding?
Did they remove your spleen? The big scare for me is falling and re-injuring the spleen and then emergency surgery to remove it. I didn't exactly get straight answers on how long I can't ride. I go in for a follow up the first of august and I'm going to pin them down on when I can go back to life as usual. As far as street riding I'm thinking I'll be back on my cruiser by the first of September at the latest regardless of what the "experts" say.

Old 06-20-2014, 10:04 AM   #4
NJ-Brett
Brett

No, with me, they just let it heal, and did not say anything about it (to me) other then it almost killed me.
I had 5 ribs, spine, clavicle, scapula, collapsed lung and the torn spleen.
They said the spleen was the big deal, but as soon as my shoulder kind of worked, I rode the DR650 home from a friends house, doing wheelies on the street (pumper carb).
They said nothing to me about no riding or wheelies.

The ribs were bad, but they heal up well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RODBOLT View Post
Did they remove your spleen? The big scare for me is falling and re-injuring the spleen and then emergency surgery to remove it. I didn't exactly get straight answers on how long I can't ride. I go in for a follow up the first of august and I'm going to pin them down on when I can go back to life as usual. As far as street riding I'm thinking I'll be back on my cruiser by the first of September at the latest regardless of what the "experts" say.

Old 06-20-2014, 10:50 AM   #5
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,929
coming up on 7 weeks ago, I did similar (2 ribs) but didn't have any internal bleeding.
I could probably handle the bouncing of dirt at this point but would be hurting quickly.
Was wearing all the armor and my arm/elbow crushing in on my side is what got me.

I can finally walk about a mile before pain kicks in bad.

Did mine on a DRZ400.

Age contributes too - I'm 42
I can ride street bikes mostly without pain for about 100 miles then it kicks in... before that, I was a 800-1000 mile day person... hopefully a few more weeks. Your summer isn't shot hopefully, just delayed through the hottest months.

Glad you're ok.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:33 AM   #6
RODBOLT OP
Stay thirsty!

Dang Brett you were torn up!

I'm encouraged by you guys' recovery times.

The estimates for healing time given to me at the hospital ranged from 6 weeks to 3 months. I'm hoping that the 6 week mark sees me back on my street bike and bicycle rides with my kids. The 2 to 3 month mark sees some mild dirt biking and mountain biking. I'm all about listening to my body as much as the doctors.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:36 AM   #7
GusinCA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
I just go slow from now on. Anything over about 20 mph and I slow down. I guess I'm old, but I just don't ride any faster than I care to fall down, and at the slow speeds I ride I don't really crash. This way I see more of the scenery too. I know it sounds boring, but at 43 I just don't bounce anymore... :)
GusinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 12:56 PM   #8
NJ-Brett
Brett

At 56, I still ride like a wild man, but on slow light bikes.
I had a TW200, great bike for people who do not want to fall, but it was a bit too mellow for me, so I got the XT200.
It tops out at about 65 mph, but most trail work is 30 to 40 mph on the tight swampy sand stuff we have around here.
Full knobby on the front, light, not tall, its easy to ride.

I was out on the TW last year and met a guy almost my age, on an xr650 going bat shit crazy speeds on it, and his protective gear was a 3/4 helmet.

Me, I want to be able to keep riding, which is getting hard enough to do without crashing on a big heavy tall bike again.

I think ribs heal up quickly, and I never seem to have any bother from them, don't get a cold while they are broken though!
Old 06-20-2014, 09:05 PM   #9
Little Bike
Air/Clutz Sue

Oddometer: 1,185
You people that are 42 or 43 are making me feel even older at 48

I know you're probably bored out of your mind by now, but take it easy, you don't want to slow your recovery by over doing it now. I'm 15 weeks into a broken leg and was thinking weeks ago that I'd be back on at least the road bike by now. Not so much. But I do understand now that it's better to wait and heal up well first.

( at least until I can reliably balance the Vstrom with a bum right leg...)

V-Strom 650 Adventure "Maxwell"
DR-Z400s "Little Donkey2"
Little Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 11:10 PM   #10
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,679
my last crash in November last year left me with 8 broken ribs, clavicle & scapular breaks and punctured lung. My shoulder became frozen so had it wrenched under general last Thursday. I wasn't wearing chest protection but don't know if it would have saved me in anycase? Plan to look at what's around before I ride again though. The moderate severe concussion I got has been the biggest barrier to me riding again aside from needing a new bike but hey, ride bikes will fall off is my moto
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:01 AM   #11
RODBOLT OP
Stay thirsty!

I read some of your stories and I guess I got off easy. I'm 37 but still going to play the age card. These kind of injuries take longer to heal the older you are. My plan is to continue riding as soon as I am able. I've been blessed with a wife who lets me have my hobbies despite the dangers (some women would have a for sale sign on the bike before you got home from the hospital). In this downtime of healing I'm researching protective gear and pondering a different bike. As it is I'm a very conservative rider and not a big risk taker but I do love the power of my big XR.

Old 06-21-2014, 12:37 PM   #12
Import
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Glad you're ok.....broke 2ribs and fractured my shoulder blade 6 years ago....had to ride the bike back to the truck......god knows how, had to get back while the adrenaline was pumping....sometimes it's just luck how you land....got a mate who wore all the gear whilst skiing..tripped over some skis whilst carrying a whiskey and broke three ribs....go figure(bet he didn't spill any)
Import is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 06:53 PM   #13
NJ-Brett
Brett

When you get older, its not that you heal slower, its that your bones snap like twigs.
Old 06-21-2014, 07:02 PM   #14
RODBOLT OP
Stay thirsty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
When you get older, its not that you heal slower, its that your bones snap like twigs.
Can't wait!

Old 06-21-2014, 08:05 PM   #15
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by RODBOLT View Post
.... My plan is to continue riding as soon as I am able. I've been blessed with a wife who lets me have my hobbies despite the dangers (some women would have a for sale sign on the bike before you got home from the hospital). In this downtime of healing I'm researching protective gear and pondering a different bike. As it is I'm a very conservative rider and not a big risk taker but I do love the power of my big XR.

we have some things in common cept I'm a bit older at 50. I bought a trials bike as its a bit more sedate and I wanted something to learn some new skills on and for just general exercising - what a blast, should have got one 20yrs ago. Great fun and comparatively low risk riding, did I mention how much fun they are?
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote