User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2015, 08:00 AM   #1
bohawk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Too Much Front Brake

This is a real face plant. Me and a friend of mine were riding in the Brock Creek Trail system in north central Arkansas when we came to a short, steep section of the single-track we were on. As folks like to say, it was steeper than it looks. He bypassed the first part but as he was getting back on the trail, a little too much front brake resulted in this. The bike fell on top of him and then slid off. It was pretty scary to watch. Fortunately, he was not hurt.

EDIT: He has a Rekluse clutch so the motor off and using the clutch for a rear brake technique that a number of folks have suggested does not work.

bohawk screwed with this post 02-22-2015 at 08:35 AM
bohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 10:02 AM   #2
windblown101
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 831
Ouch. A literal faceplant. LOL.

Glad he was ok. I sometimes forget to mind my body position and have to pay the price for it. Riding the front tire gave it plenty of bite though!
windblown101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 12:01 PM   #3
Kawasakirob
flick the bean

Oddometer: 1,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohawk View Post

Needs to be framed
Crutchlow #35, Hayden #69, Sykes #66, Herrin #2, Noyes #9

Go Edwards # 5
Go Stoner #27
Kawasakirob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 12:13 PM   #4
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 776
There are times a non-running engine, 1st gear, and a clutch are the tool to use. And at that, sometimes you just walk it down so you can more easily let go.

Not at all saying there aren't folk who can quite readily ride down that. But if you can't, there are ways to go down other than on your face.

Glad he's ok.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 02:50 PM   #5
Earth Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrapper View Post
There are times a non-running engine, 1st gear, and a clutch are the tool to use. And at that, sometimes you just walk it down so you can more easily let go.

Not at all saying there aren't folk who can quite readily ride down that. But if you can't, there are ways to go down other than on your face.

Glad he's ok.
Yep. Scary. The first time I did that going down a hill - and not nearly as bad as this, more of a side get-off - was the last time.
Earth Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 03:20 PM   #6
bohawk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
He was quick to admit that not sticking to the trail initially and then too much front brake were his two mistakes. These trails can teach you some hard lessons. I agree that there are times a non-running engine, 1st gear, and a clutch are the tool to use. I have done that myself when I have failed to make a steep climb and have to back down. You can keep both feet down and not worry about the useless front brake. However, in his case, he had a Rekluse clutch so that technique would not work.

Quote:

Glad he's ok.
bohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 06:43 PM   #7
Bluffskier
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Quote:

Glad he's ok.
Amen to hitting the kill switch! And getting wayyyyyy back on the seat, but then after a loop or 2 on a trail system on my XRL I'm like "what was I thinking? This ain't steep." Lol.

There is a trail between Kirby Landing on Lake Geason and Daisy State Park, in Arkansas that is bad like that. Anything other than a fresh D606 on the rear is a nightmare. 4 and 5 tries to get up a hill.

Sent from a pay phone
Bluffskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 08:00 PM   #8
dedave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 409
Quote:
This is a real face plant. Me and a friend of mine were riding in the Brock Creek Trail system in north central Arkansas when we came to a short, steep section of the single-track we were on. As folks like to say, it was steeper than it looks. He bypassed the first part but as we was getting back on the trail, a little too much front brake resulted in this. The bike fell on top of him and then slid off. It was pretty scary to watch. Fortunately, he was not hurt.

You're right, it don't look that steep

Wonder if this is one for the front page rotation
dedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 08:39 PM   #9
dogjaw
plays well alone

Oddometer: 3,139
Leave it to Bohawk to have the camera ready for a shot like this! I have seen many people hurt their selves more trying to snatch their bikes off of the ground before Bo gets a pic than the did putting it down in the first place!
Old 02-14-2015, 04:50 AM   #10
roborider
New River Roborider

Oddometer: 246
Lucky he didn't break his dang fool neck.... but I'm sure he'll remember to feather that front break from now on, sit down and way back, etc. Probably a good idea to find some practice hills and just ride up and down a few times and develop a pattern for handling this situation. Be safe out in them thar woods!

Roborider - NC700x - Southwest Virginia
Old 02-15-2015, 04:17 AM   #11
JettPilot
ADV Fanatic !!!

Oddometer: 526
He got very lucky to not be seriously injured from this. There are two possible outcomes from this.

1. If he is Smart, He learns his lesson, and is much more careful in the future.

2. Since he did not get hurt, laughs about it, and he is emboldened and thinks he can get away with anything, and will be even more reckless in the future until he gets hurt ( More Likely ).

Sometimes the correct answer is to NOT RIDE a particular trail, or find a way around. I see people crash their bikes, damage them, get hurt, and put a sudden end their riding day early trying to do some absurdly steep and difficult hill, when there is an easy way around it. Ending a riding day over something like this is just dumb. Part of being a good rider is knowing when to NOT try a really bad hill....

Mike
Old 02-15-2015, 04:24 AM   #12
Neverenuff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by JettPilot View Post
He got very lucky to not be seriously injured from this. There are two possible outcomes from this.

1. If he is Smart, He learns his lesson, and is much more careful in the future.

2. Since he did not get hurt, laughs about it, and he is emboldened and thinks he can get away with anything, and will be even more reckless in the future until he gets hurt ( More Likely ).

Sometimes the correct answer is to NOT RIDE a particular trail, or find a way around. I see people crash their bikes, damage them, get hurt, and put a sudden end their riding day early trying to do some absurdly steep and difficult hill, when there is an easy way around it. Ending a riding day over something like this is just dumb. Part of being a good rider is knowing when to NOT try a really bad hill....

Mike
Had that same thing happen, got caught in a "gust" of gravity and the next thing I know I'm collecting soil samples for the BLM.
Neverenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 10:38 AM   #13
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,378
Quote:
He was quick to admit that not sticking to the trail initially and then too much front brake were his two mistakes.
I'd say not hanging his nuts on the rear fender was more the problem.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 07:13 PM   #14
reddirtjoe
thinning the herd.

Oddometer: 2,076
we learn from....trying
time to try a different technique

our local riding area has a steep drop off that I've made 1 of the four attempts without a faceplant/endo....(one unsuccessful attempt was using the bulldog technique)

Glad you guys are able to enjoy the ride...its all for fun
reddirtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 11:27 PM   #15
ObiJohn
Screaming Banshee

Oddometer: 555
I never use the front brake on a steep downhill. Instead, either put the bike in first or second gear and just idle it down, feathering the clutch to go faster/slower. Or, with the clutch pulled use the rear brake only. For really steep stuff, I've done as another poster wrote, and with the bike off and in gear used the clutch as a brake... with me on one side (uphill) so if things get hairy I can let go of the bike and let it fall towards me. It won't roll if it's in gear with the engine off and I let go of the clutch.

And, sit way back. Your weight should always be back far enough so that the front wheel is forward of the center of gravity of the bike/rider... because when it's not over you go.