Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2014, 10:58 AM   #1
Rick OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Deep gravel = Broken Leg

Had my first accident this weekend.

Was doing some dual sport riding with some friends and was coming down a forest service road doing about 15 mph and got into some really deep gravel and a negative camber curve. Bike started sliding and I hit the breaks. Bike low sided and I don't remember much after that. I do remember the biking coming down on my left leg though and I knew right then that it was broken.

Luckily the bike didn't end up on top of me. Called 911 and they showed up about 20 minutes later. Got to the Newport, OR emergency room and they did some x-rays. Yep, broken left leg. Splintered in several spots about 3 inches from the knee. Tibula and the other smaller bone next to it. They transferred me to OHSU's Orthopedic department for further analysis. They operated on me Saturday and put an external fixation thing on the outside of my leg to make sure the leg stays at the right length since I'll need to let the swelling go down more before they permanently fix it in a couple week.

The DR sent me home last night and now I'm completely dependent on my wife. In a couple weeks, I go back to have them put in a couple plates and 15 screws to put it all back together.

I'm done. I was only going 15 mph when this happened. I've got a lot of other hobbies that are much safer. I'm going to end this here as I'm getting a little loopy with the pain meds.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:25 AM   #2
rogerc
FJRider

Oddometer: 99
I broke my ankle and leg going less than 3 mph.
Had the surgeries and the support bar on for months. Could not believe that I broke it that bad at 3 MPH. I was 55 at the time so probably older than you.
My wife wasn't happy BUT very supportive during my recovery. The recovery had lots of problems and it took me 6 months before I was up and around. Took me 2 years before I could walk very far.
Still riding but mostly street, just in my blood. Hell I could die tomorrow with a terrible disease (for me probability very high) or die on my bike. I will choose the bike every time. Doesn't mean I am stupid, I really manage my risk, ATTGATT, and ride very safely.
Sorry to hear of you lay up, it takes time, and patience. Heal up well and hope you find something as passionate as motorcycle riding for you.

RC
rogerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:50 AM   #3
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,322
Now you have to listen to all the stuff your wife is going to say about riding motorcycles!

Sorry to hear about the injury.

I fell at about 15 mph and busted up my left side, 8 broken bones plus other stuff, and not even any rocks.
When you get older (over 45?) its likely not smart to dirt ride, and its never smart to ride a big heavy bike in the dirt.

I traded the 370 pound dr650 in on a 240 pound xt200, but still managed to f my foot/leg up last weekend....

Not being able to care for yourself really sucks, and there is also the cost involved. Not sure why we do it...
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:57 AM   #4
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,574
oooo0uch ... hope you heal fast!

have long decided if that ever happens to me .. screw trying to save the bike from going down .. I'm jumping off bike to avoid getting trapped between bike and ground. that and no hard luggage on my bike ..

_cy_ screwed with this post 05-20-2014 at 12:03 PM
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 12:08 PM   #5
Rick OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yeah, not sure if a lighter bike would have made any difference. I still think a 240 lb bike would have broke my leg as bad, but maybe it wouldn't have slid out so easily. The guy in front of me said he went sideways in that curve also. I didn't have my dirt bike gear on (knee pads, MX boots, balistic shorts, etc.) but I don't think this matters either. I think it would have broken it even if I had knee pads on.

I just don't want to take the chance again. It's not something I'm passionate about either so not that huge of a loss.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:16 PM   #6
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oddometer: 2,036
Ouch.... you have my sympathies. I broke my tib/fib and ankle in Dec. 2011 (bicycle accident), and had to be non-weight bearing for 12 weeks. Ugh.

The good news is that you will soon be a member of the Exclusive Titanium Club.

Advice to you at this point is to listen to your OS. Be sure to keep your leg elevated, and, really, take it easy. You have suffered a trauma and your body needs to heal.
Eyes Shut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 12:33 PM   #7
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,322
Light bikes really do help a lot.
Besides less force on bones, they are much easier to keep upright in tricky situations.

You get over 300 pounds in the dirt and you are asking for trouble.
Young guys can get away with it for a while, older guys just have things snap.

Its bad now, but at least things should heal up well.
Its the joints that often do not get back into shape, shoulders, knees, ankles, spine.
Screw that stuff up and it might never feel good again.

Its odd that even during the helicoper ride out of the woods, it never crossed my mind to stop riding, dirt or otherwise.

That is one nasty looking picture...

NJ-Brett screwed with this post 05-20-2014 at 05:50 PM
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:13 PM   #8
psmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 851
That's a hard hit for a first accident Rick. I'm sorry about your leg and hope you heal fast and thorough.

I find the DR will on occasion tend to lay down, or even hurl itself at the ground. Not always, but it can surprise you.

psmcd screwed with this post 05-20-2014 at 09:26 PM
psmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:20 PM   #9
toy4fun
GET out of the way

Oddometer: 294
2 reasons for these types of injuries

1. the bikes are heavy enough to hold an aircraft carrier in place in a storm (small exageration)

2. Old people break easily!!!

young people just kill themselves

tell your wife if you had the latest and greatest dual sport you would not get injuried NEW BIKE TIME
toy4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:12 AM   #10
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post

The DR sent me home last night and now I'm completely dependent on my wife.
As long as she uses Charmin and not tree bark, you're ok. It is a test of dignity isn't it?

Quote:
I'm done. I was only going 15 mph when this happened. I've got a lot of other hobbies that are much safer.
Give it some time and then see. If you're committed to this course of action, so be it. But you just crashed, hurt, and are on medications. Not the best state of mind for such decisions.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:25 AM   #11
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,794
Boy I hate seeing that kind of thing, especially to a local guy my age. I've had a couple of painful wrecks myself, but fortunately only ribs, and nothing as bad as that. First thougths through my mind were "I'm done". But, over time, those thoughts went away. Wishing you the best and hoping for a pain free, speedy recovery.

Good luck with the recovery, keep us posted of how its going, even if you choose not to be a rider after this.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:53 AM   #12
windblown101
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 503
Holy smokes, that's a tough piece of luck right there. Hope the healing goes well!

I'm not letting my daughter see this. She doesn't worry much about my solo treks into the forests and I'd like to keep it that way.
windblown101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:03 AM   #13
Seth650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by psmcd View Post
That's a hard hit for a first accident Rick. I'm sorry about your leg and hope you heal fast and thorough.

I find the DR will on occasion tend to lay down, or even hurl itself at the ground. Not always, but it can surprise you.
Noticed this too, the 17" rear undermines the front end easier than an 18" rear does on dirt bikes or my WR?
Old 05-21-2014, 10:54 AM   #14
Rick OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The thing that scares me the most about this is I do a lot of riding by myself. This ride would have been one of them. There was nothing about it that would make me think that it'd be dangerous so I'd better ride with someone.

With the nighttime temps getting below 30 at night, there would have been a good possibility that I wouldn't have made it through the night. No way could I have gotten myself out of there.

I was considering doing the Oregon Backcountry Discovery Route by myself as well but now if I continue to ride, there would be absolutely no way I'd ride by myself again.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:19 PM   #15
psmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 851
This speaks to my own solo riding. I don't focus on obstacles or risks but I do review "Face Plant" to keep myself aware of what can happen. Discretion and riding are not mutually exclusive but it can take effort to avoid being reckless or foolish. Often, through no fault or action of our own, we are fortunate, or unfortunate. Bad things happen to people who don't even ride bicycles. Least we get to have some fun and a nice view on the way there.

Re: the 17" rear wheel on the DR - I don't think it matters, I think it's just a fairly tall, heavy bike. I've thought of lowering it just to see how it behaves but I'm already using all the clearance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
The thing that scares me the most about this is I do a lot of riding by myself. This ride would have been one of them. There was nothing about it that would make me think that it'd be dangerous so I'd better ride with someone.

With the nighttime temps getting below 30 at night, there would have been a good possibility that I wouldn't have made it through the night. No way could I have gotten myself out of there.

I was considering doing the Oregon Backcountry Discovery Route by myself as well but now if I continue to ride, there would be absolutely no way I'd ride by myself again.

psmcd screwed with this post 05-21-2014 at 03:53 PM
psmcd is offline   Reply With Quote