Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2014, 02:16 PM   #151
OBIWAN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Still Broken ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post
Well I'm no longer a member of this club, got my stuff all pulled on March 6 And oh what a feeling, great to have my twelve screws and plate from Venezuela removed, those are 12 I could have easily done without
From this:

With a whole lot of waiting on this:

to get these

It looks like some of the bones did not heal up/line up very good. What's the deal with that?
nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither
victory nor defeat. ------Theodore Roosevelt.
OBIWAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:26 PM   #152
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oddometer: 2,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBIWAN View Post
It looks like some of the bones did not heal up/line up very good. What's the deal with that?
Welll...I'm not an orthopedic surgeon, but I know from my injury (broken tib/fib), that I only got metal in my tibia, and the fibula was left alone. My OS told me that the fibula does not bear the weight in the leg, so usually nothing is done with it. From Throttlemeister's x-rays, it looks like the fibula (the smaller bone) was also left alone.
Eyes Shut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:00 PM   #153
russbryant
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,058
Anybody hear from zora and find out how her elbow rehab is coming along? Her last post led me to think she may need to have the metal removed like I did.

Russ
Tucson
Old 05-09-2014, 06:47 PM   #154
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,655
here's my addition from Easter Weekend mishap. A slow speed get off, had to pick up the fully gassed (11 gallons), full camp gear, BMW R80 G/S, rewire the ignition switch, put on windshield and ride home for 2 hours after the crash. Left Clavicle

2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:49 PM   #155
OBIWAN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Crashed on Oct 20, 2004 at 1915 central time. I'm not much for joining groups/clubs but I didn't really have a choice on this
one. Both of my wrists looked very similar to lot of folks here. After the crash it doesn't look like the hands are attached
to much of anything. I got titanium in both wrist because a moron tried to do a U-turn from the right lane of a 4 lane street.
He stops blocking both lanes in my direction and I had almost 1 second to do something about it, so I hit him. After that my
lawyer took all his money for being stupid (he let me have some of it).

One moral of that story is if your are stupid you'd better have a lot of insurance or lose every thing you own. I almost lost
my life and I did lose the best season of the riding year so I figured it was at least a fair deal. All in all I would just as
soon not had that collision. I don't believe in that myth the doctors try to push of 100% recovery to make themselves look
good. You will never be as good as before. You will get good enough for most things most of the time but 100%, I call bull
$hit. I'm good enough and still ride. My doc was better than all the king's horses and all the king's men. It cost about
$35K and a lot of pain to put Humpty back together again. Humpty is now a happy rider again.

nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither
victory nor defeat. ------Theodore Roosevelt.
OBIWAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 05:33 AM   #156
Littlepeter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Light compared to some, but I still qualify. I hope to be rid of it in the near future.

Peter

Littlepeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 06:17 PM   #157
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,376
Looking at this picture, I wonder why they had to use screws.
Could you not use something like hose clamps around the bone and plate?

Drilling holes and using screws seems like more work, and more trauma then is needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
here's my addition from Easter Weekend mishap. A slow speed get off, had to pick up the fully gassed (11 gallons), full camp gear, BMW R80 G/S, rewire the ignition switch, put on windshield and ride home for 2 hours after the crash. Left Clavicle

NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:27 PM   #158
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes Shut View Post
Welll...I'm not an orthopedic surgeon, but I know from my injury (broken tib/fib), that I only got metal in my tibia, and the fibula was left alone. My OS told me that the fibula does not bear the weight in the leg, so usually nothing is done with it. From Throttlemeister's x-rays, it looks like the fibula (the smaller bone) was also left alone.
^^
This

I dealt with leg pain and persistent limp from the day I could bear weight on my injury. It felt like a wave/or shudder of pain up my leg everytime I took a step, running was out of the question I didn't realize how much it really bothered me the moment the stuff was pulled out I had instant relief other than an allergic reaction to that Chloraprep antiseptic shit they wiped my leg down with

The doctor in Caracas at the time of surgery told me to get the stuff removed after one year and that if I had the same sort of accident with the hardware in it would destroy my leg The goofy bastards I all saw up here in the States where just like leave it in there and don't mess with it. I put up with it a year and half going from 187 to 240lbs not being able to get around like I'm used to and now little over 2months post surgery down to 230 and falling slow, still holding off on the running again until 3 months post op for complete osteogenesis to fill in all the screw tracks and then it's on. Wonderful to have my old leg back thanks to Doctor Henry in Caracas, now I have my $800 souvenir from VZ to show off

I was actually a member of the club prior to my last big get off breaking my leg in VZ, I'd broke my leg in 1996 working at a fertilizer plant where I broke my left ankle and it was fixed with a lone screw on the medial malleolus that had to be removed before the next 12 screws and plate where installed:

I was hoping there wasn't a 3rd time with all that extra metal, I hear I'm a whole lot more likely to break along a screw track now if I have another big off, a hell of a lot better than at the joint or tibia plateau break. I feel good now and damn glad to be out of this club
Old 05-11-2014, 11:50 AM   #159
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
Looking at this picture, I wonder why they had to use screws.
Could you not use something like hose clamps around the bone and plate?

Drilling holes and using screws seems like more work, and more trauma then is needed.
I'm sure it's quicker to drill and screw. and something like some sort of "hose" clamp would have more area for tissue (muscles, tendons) to rub against and cause pain and inflammation..i.e. long term problems. There will be an area of excess material at the hose clamp where it is tightened up.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:26 PM   #160
Little Bike
Air/Clutz Sue

Oddometer: 1,244
Finally got the X-ray pics

Tibial plateau fracture on 3/1/14

And my latest xray with the hardware 5/30/14

The really pathetic part is I wasn't riding my drz, I was loading it into the back of my van….
Hopefully getting my "you can start putting little bits of weight on the leg" papers tomorrow.

V-Strom 650 Adventure "Maxwell"
DR-Z400s "Little Donkey2"
Little Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:57 PM   #161
FlowBee
Just me.

Oddometer: 5,754
Titanium. Not heavy, but metal. The only bone I've broken (I tend to bounce)

March 15th, night at the ER.

Last Wednesday, eight weeks after plating.

Another month before the O.S. says I can start to ride again.
Old 06-21-2014, 12:56 PM   #162
CJ5K
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Can I join if it was a bicycle? Going down hill at roughly 25 miles an hour when a car pulled out of a parking lot and T-boned me. open Tib/Fib fracture, now with a few screws and about 14 inches of Ti. I'll post X-Ray pics when I find them.

Stay Safe,
Chris - CJ5K
CJ5K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 02:53 PM   #163
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oddometer: 2,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ5K View Post
Can I join if it was a bicycle? Going down hill at roughly 25 miles an hour when a car pulled out of a parking lot and T-boned me. open Tib/Fib fracture, now with a few screws and about 14 inches of Ti. I'll post X-Ray pics when I find them.

Stay Safe,
Chris - CJ5K
Of course you can join! My accident was on a bicycle also, and very similar, but I did not hit the car. I just skidded (wet road) and went down. Open tib/fib fracture plus ankle fracture.

Here is a site that I usually mention, to keep you entertained as you sit around with your leg propped up:
http://www.mybrokenleg.com/

Once you get the okay to shower (and I assume you have a cast or will get one), I found this cast cover to work very well, and is much easier than having to deal with plastic bags and tape:
http://store.drycorp.com/Dry-Pro-Wat...ector-s/39.htm

You have my sympathies. But, it does get better. Hope your healing goes well.
Eyes Shut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 03:07 PM   #164
Grahf
"Special" tinkerer

Oddometer: 38
Snapped the clavicle riding my R6 into a wall at about 40mph, hit the wall then the floor, landed on my head (cracked my skull, a 3 inch cross apparently, wasn't wearing a helmet..) i then from others accounts of the crash i flipped fully and hit the wall again, this time on my back and then fell back to the floor.

Grahf screwed with this post 06-21-2014 at 03:22 PM
Grahf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 05:14 PM   #165
CJ5K
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Of course you can join! My accident was on a bicycle also, and very similar, but I did not hit the car. I just skidded (wet road) and went down. Open tib/fib fracture plus ankle fracture.

Here is a site that I usually mention, to keep you entertained as you sit around with your leg propped up:
http://www.mybrokenleg.com/

Once you get the okay to shower (and I assume you have a cast or will get one), I found this cast cover to work very well, and is much easier than having to deal with plastic bags and tape:
http://store.drycorp.com/Dry-Pro-Wat...ector-s/39.htm

You have my sympathies. But, it does get better. Hope your healing goes well.
Eyes Shut:

I feel like a dick now .... my crash was in 2008, I'm 100% recovered now, and I just forgot to put that in my post.

Thanks for the well wishes though man, i really apreciate it!!
CJ5K is offline   Reply With Quote