Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2012, 06:32 PM   #286
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdos View Post
Happy B-day Luisa!
Still following along this journey. Safe travels.

Thank you Julio, I had a great birthday !
Luisa

Good to have you along
Old 04-21-2012, 06:44 AM   #287
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

San Miguel de Allende

San Miguel de Allende…strange place…don’t know exactly how to describe it . Beautiful it is , but being a huge retirement home for US citizen gives the town(or maybe just me??) an odd feeling . I guess I still need some time to process it…sometimes walking around town feels like sleepwalking…
Anyway , here some pics from the impressive beauty of San Miguel : I still have a couple of hours, before we take off to San Luis Potosi, to try an capture my mixed feelings with the camera

Old 04-21-2012, 01:45 PM   #288
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

A couple of hours was not enough to put my feelings about San Miguel Allende in pictures…
At least last night we still managed to meet a San Miguel based fellow ADV rider, el gringo-inaz , and his family . Thx for the beer , Scott !!

Old 04-21-2012, 05:14 PM   #289
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

San Luis Potosi

The first view and impression of a city is always important to me . This was my first impression of San Luis Potosi…must be an other great city

Tacos Potosinos and Enchiladas Potosinas

Old 04-22-2012, 06:11 AM   #290
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

yesterday morning we left San Miguel de Allende , on the way out we passed the Mirador to get one last view of the town

After 50 km of nice riding , turns,no traffic ,great view we arrived at the former mining town of Mineral de Pozos , a ghost town on its comeback

After that the route got kind of boring , long straight stretches almost all the way to San Luis Potosi

GuateRider screwed with this post 04-22-2012 at 06:12 AM Reason: spelling
GuateRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:06 PM   #291
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

In San Luis Potosi we founda nice Hotel , right on the corner of the main square in the pedestrian area . The lack of a parking lot and 3 steps to get into the lobby are no problem in Mexico…

Old 04-22-2012, 07:59 PM   #292
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

San Luis Potosi is a city full of life , full of people,great historical buildings,live concerts on the streets,modern art,good streetfood,nice cafeterias and restaurants,a huge pedestrian area . And as in almost all the places I have been in the last two month , no foreign tourists at all . I don’t know, if it’s me picking the wrong places or is it the tourists all going to the wrong places ???

And this one goes for my friends in Puebla who enjoyed watching me, getting “enchilado”

Old 04-23-2012, 05:09 AM   #293
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

San Luis Potosi

We really enjoyed our two days in San Luis Potosi, a city so awake and full life . After SanMiguel de Allende it felt like being back in Mexico again…. There is so much color in this city , so much smiling and laughing and so much joy of live

WHY DON’T WE EVER SEE PICS LIKE THIS IN THE MEDIA WHEN THEY WRITE ABOUT MEXICO?????????

Streetmusic and performance everywhere

Old 04-23-2012, 10:24 AM   #294
DougLaird
Doug

Oddometer: 7
Trip North

In January I finished my trip from Prudhoe Bay to Ushuaia. In Alaska I met Greg Powell. He advises me that you may be heading to Alaska. If I may be of any help as you travel through the western United States please contact me and I'll see what I can do for you. I live in Reno, NV.
Ride Safe.
Doug
DougLaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:38 PM   #295
miguelito
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuateRider View Post
We really enjoyed our two days in San Luis Potosi, a city so awake and full life . After SanMiguel de Allende it felt like being back in Mexico again…. There is so much color in this city , so much smiling and laughing and so much joy of live

WHY DON’T WE EVER SEE PICS LIKE THIS IN THE MEDIA WHEN THEY WRITE ABOUT MEXICO?????????
Guaterider, I get it that you didn't dig San Miguel as it apparently has too many aging gringos for your taste, but I assure you there are a lot, (most all), of the Mexicanos living here who would be offended by your statement(s) about our town. I suppose you spent most of your time here in el centro, which does have its fair share of aging gringos, but I can assure you even more Mexicanos. As for the "color, laughing, and smiling" you found in San Luis Potosi, and presumably lacking in SMA, maybe you were predisposed to see what you saw in both places. I myself arrived in San Miguel about two years ago after having spent the previous three months traveling around Mexico, and was prepared not to like it either based on my previous experiences in Mexico's beach towns, (I was predisposed to not like "gringo towns"). As it turned out, SMA had a large and diverse gringo community as well as a large, diverse Mexican community, and a lot of great restaurants to commend it, and I ended up staying here. Granted it's not for everyone, (thankfully), presumably Guaterider included, but I know a lot of Mexicans, South Americans, Europeans, Canadians, and Americans who fall on the opposite side of that equation. Viva la differencia!
miguelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:28 PM   #296
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelito View Post
Guaterider, I get it that you didn't dig San Miguel as it apparently has too many aging gringos for your taste, but I assure you there are a lot, (most all), of the Mexicanos living here who would be offended by your statement(s) about our town. !

"San Miguel de Allende…strange place…don’t know exactly how to describe it . Beautiful it is , but being a huge retirement home for US citizen gives the town(or maybe just me??) an odd feeling . I guess I still need some time to process it…sometimes walking around town feels like sleepwalking…
Anyway , here some pics from the impressive beauty of San Miguel "

Hola Miguelio, above is my statement about SAM ; what is there offending in it ??????
I mentioned an odd feeling, saying it could just be me,and then I just mentioned twice the beautie of the town . And no doubt that many people from all over the world may like it . There are plenty of reasons, just none appaeling to me . But nothing of all this is offending , amigo !!!
On the other hand,I see the behaving of many "local"gringos offending , when they do not even try to speak spanish anywhere, just assuming that everybody is supposed to speak english .

Too bad you didn't answer to my invitation to have a beer together , could have been a chance to show me something about SAM that I missed .

Anyway, I agree with you : Viva la diversidad
Old 04-23-2012, 05:36 PM   #297
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougLaird View Post
In January I finished my trip from Prudhoe Bay to Ushuaia. In Alaska I met Greg Powell. He advises me that you may be heading to Alaska. If I may be of any help as you travel through the western United States please contact me and I'll see what I can do for you. I live in Reno, NV.
Ride Safe.
Doug
Hola Doug, thank you for your offer . Indeed we are on our way to Alaska and right now still in Mexico (Real de Catorce)
I will get in touch once I'm getting closer to Nevada .
Old 04-23-2012, 06:32 PM   #298
miguelito
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
"San Miguel de Allende…strange place…don’t know exactly how to describe it . Beautiful it is , but being a huge retirement home for US citizen gives the town(or maybe just me??) an odd feeling . I guess I still need some time to process it…sometimes walking around town feels like sleepwalking…
Anyway , here some pics from the impressive beauty of San Miguel "

Hola Miguelio, above is my statement about SAM ; what is there offending in it ??????
I mentioned an odd feeling, saying it could just be me,and then I just mentioned twice the beautie of the town . And no doubt that many people from all over the world may like it . There are plenty of reasons, just none appaeling to me . But nothing of all this is offending , amigo !!!
On the other hand,I see the behaving of many "local"gringos offending , when they do not even try to speak spanish anywhere, just assuming that everybody is supposed to speak english .

Too bad you didn't answer to my invitation to have a beer together , could have been a chance to show me something about SAM that I missed .

Anyway, I agree with you : Viva la diversidad
I'm sorry I didn't see your invitation to join you for cervezas Guate. Next time PM me, or Email which I believe you can do by clicking on my username/icon and the odds will improve that I actually receive the invite. As to the part which I think most locals, (Mexicanos y gringos), would take exception to is your statement: "After San Miguel de Allende it felt like being back in Mexico again…. ", which I quoted in my original comment. It is certainly not like a lot of other towns in the country, but I think it is very much a facet of Mexico. I also think that gringos have played an important role in the town since the middle of the last century, and that is bound to have had an influence in the general gestalt of the town beyond the overweight, badly dressed, non-fluent gringos in the jardin who managed to influence your perception of the town and its gringo population.

I do agree that if you've chosen to live in any foreign country, you need to make some effort to learn the language. Before traveling to Greece, I learned enough of that language from tapes, that local people were asking me if I was Greek, (as in a child of Greek parents who had learned some conversational Greek). When I lived in New Mexico many of my neighbors were descendants of Spanish/Mexican ancestors, so I learned some of the language and culture there, and also on construction sites where I worked as a cabinetmaker. While I'm not fluent after two years living here, I'm probably a notch or two above the "Me talk pretty one day" phase of my learning. However, this being a tourist town, my first thought about this comment of yours was whether you witnessed residents or tourists displaying their lack of command of the Spanish language, although I know enough old gringos living here who barely speak above a rudimentary conversational level, that I won't press that point. :)

My apologies if I've rained on your parade here, I just wanted to make the point that perhaps with only a couple of nights under your belt in the town, there might be more for you to discover here than you might have gleaned at first glance. Saludos.
miguelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:17 PM   #299
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,211
Quote:

My feelings exactly. I liked SMA, its a beautiful place, but it almost feels as if you left Mexico. Not that its bad, just different from other colonial towns that I visited.

I edited this post to make myself clear, I do not think its a bad place at all, quite the contrary. However, like Julio's experience, I felt as if I found myself in a different type of culture within Mexico. Just as in the States when you visit a town that has a very large percentage of Latinos, the culture feels quite different from a US town with a much smaller percentage of Latinos. Now if you think that is a negative comment that is your right. I thought Julio was simply making a personal observation, which I happen to share.

crashmaster screwed with this post 04-24-2012 at 12:47 PM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:03 AM   #300
El Stigo
Hey Ese its EL STIGO

Oddometer: 318
Sma

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
My feelings exactly. I liked SMA, but it almost feels as if you left Mexico.
I personally own land and other things in SMA and I don't spend much time during the day in "El Centro"...I prefer SMA at night and usually ride the surrounding areas during the day or spend it at the ranch or at home.

Julio....you`re doing just fine....keep up the nice report and let the ADV WORLD and the majority of gringos know that the BAD news they see about Mexico on TV and in the papers is not the exact truth. Crime is bad everywhere....heads up as you travel away from that Starbucks shop folks!

El Stigo

P.S. We love to travel on the bikes...just came back from a 6,000 mile ride 22 March to 9 April, 50% alone and 50% 2UP...what about the rest of you?....Julio how many for you so far?
First motorcycle experience. Dads, 40 something HD knucklehead it was 1966 he was 22 and my first recorded photo on a bike taken at 2 yrs. Thanks for raising me on the back of your bikes and teaching me to ride my dirt bike 35 years ago!

El Stigo screwed with this post 04-26-2012 at 08:32 AM Reason: Clarifying My Point
El Stigo is offline   Reply With Quote