User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2012, 08:54 AM   #301
odavid57
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
good eats and cheap gas

Food looks great as do the variety of the people. I hope the gas was stil .35c/gallon at that pump.
odavid57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:51 AM   #302
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Stigo View Post

P.S. Just came back from a 6,000 mile ride in March/April...what about the rest of you?....
Well, about 50,000 miles through every country in the Americas, returned last July. More recently, another 3000 in mainland Mex, then another 1000 in Baja last month.

Keep up the great report Julio, you have a great eye with the camera!

Salud, Vin

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:33 PM   #303
The Breeze
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Guaterider/Luisa,

Not sure where you guys plan to cross into the U.S., but if you cross through Reynosa/McAllen or Matamoros/Brownsville.......you have a place to stay.

I live in McAllen, Texas....have a spare bedroom you're welcome to use....and would we could go out for dinner/drinks

Send me a PM if you guys are riding through my little spot in the world.

Great ride/report
The Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:00 PM   #304
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelito View Post
My apologies if I've rained on your parade here, I just wanted to make the point that perhaps with only a couple of nights under your belt in the town, there might be more for you to discover here than you might have gleaned at first glance. Saludos.
No problem, no harm done ! And yes , you are right , a couple of days is not enough for many things...but all I said is basically that I got a different feeling there as in any other place in Mexico I have been so far. I did spend 15 months over the last 30 years travelling around in Mexico, so I have seen quiet a few places .
But as a closing comment from my side I will just repeat what I wrote before : I aprreciated the beauties of SAM ,I had a good time there, and I did not say one bad ting about it .

Maybe on our way back down south we will geta chance to have this beer after all
Old 04-24-2012, 02:04 PM   #305
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
My feelings exactly...........

....... I thought Julio was simply making a personal observation, which I happen to share.
Great minds think alike :

PS: Good to know that you like my pics
Old 04-24-2012, 02:14 PM   #306
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Stigo View Post
However, I do feel it is in bad taste when someone writes bad things about a place they are visiting as a guest.

P.S. Just came back from a 6,000 mile ride in March/April...what about the rest of you?....Julio how many for you so far?
Hola Lance , I hope your commnt about bad taste etc. was not pointed in my direction ; so far I only had great experiences in Mexico and that's exactly what I am telling everybody . In a mail I sent you from SAM I even told you that we are enjoying SAM . BTW, we went to most of the places that you suggested , and they wee great as usual .

So far I have done 7000 KM from Guate to Real de Catorce...you can see ,never lookng for the shortest or fastest route,always for the interesting one

Saludos !!
Old 04-24-2012, 02:18 PM   #307
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Breeze View Post
Guaterider/Luisa,

Not sure where you guys plan to cross into the U.S., but if you cross through Reynosa/McAllen or Matamoros/Brownsville.......you have a place to stay.

I live in McAllen, Texas....have a spare bedroom you're welcome to use....and would we could go out for dinner/drinks

Send me a PM if you guys are riding through my little spot in the world.

Great ride/report
Hello Breeze , Thank you for your kind offer ! So far the plan is to cross the border at Agua Prieta, AZ
If there should be any change in this plan , I will get back to you and pick you up on that offer
Old 04-24-2012, 02:28 PM   #308
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Since yesterday we are in Real de Catorce, incredible place !!!! We definitely will stay longer as planed

But here still a few last pics fromSan Luis Potosi

Old 04-24-2012, 03:26 PM   #309
miguelito
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuateRider View Post
Maybe on our way back down south we will geta chance to have this beer after all
Deal, although depending on timing we may intersect further north. I'll be touring for a couple of weeks in June in New Mexico/Colorado, and then in early July start a month or more circuit up the CA coast/sierras through Oregon/Washington/Idaho then back to SMA through the Rockies. I'll keep an eye out for your Beemer on the way!
miguelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:33 PM   #310
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Oddometer: 23,815
Real de Catorce is definitely a magical place. At night, when the storms roll in it feels like you're on another planet. it's way cool. If you decide to take the "backside" out just make sure Luisa doesn't look left. you know, because those sheer drops sometimes makes you think twice about WTF you're doing there in the first place.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:56 AM   #311
nailit2em
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Hola

Luisa it will be great to finally meet you when you get up north. After reading the last several pages here on ADV I think Julio and I will be in trouble if you and Nikki get together and talk.

And happy birthday...better late than never.

This is great stuff!! I'm glad I finally had some time to sit down on the computer and actually read and enjoy your trip! I'm keeping notes and hopefully Nikki and I will visit many of the places you have been to.

Keep the updates coming!!!
Old 04-25-2012, 05:38 AM   #312
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdos View Post
Real de Catorce is definitely a magical place. At night, when the storms roll in it feels like you're on another planet. it's way cool. If you decide to take the "backside" out just make sure Luisa doesn't look left. you know, because those sheer drops sometimes makes you think twice about WTF you're doing there in the first place.
We saw part of that road on one of our hikes and we listened to some stories told by locals abou cars going over the cliffs. Big mistake : I guess I will have a hard time talking her into leaving Real this way
Old 04-25-2012, 05:39 AM   #313
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailit2em View Post
Luisa it will be great to finally meet you when you get up north. After reading the last several pages here on ADV I think Julio and I will be in trouble if you and Nikki get together and talk.

And happy birthday...better late than never.

This is great stuff!! I'm glad I finally had some time to sit down on the computer and actually read and enjoy your trip! I'm keeping notes and hopefully Nikki and I will visit many of the places you have been to.

Keep the updates coming!!!
Hey Shawn, updates coming right up !!
Old 04-25-2012, 05:42 AM   #314
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

San Luis Potosi-Real de Catorce

People say that time stands still in Real de Catorce…to me it seems that time flys. It’s een already 2 days since we got here and so far we haven’t stopped hiking the surrounding hills
Anyway , here some pics (all taken by my wife) from the ride from San Luis Potosi to Real . Getting out from the hotel lobby

Finding our way out of San Luis Potosi

The road was kind of boring, long strait stretches , not much to see then ourselfes

It got o boring that I even considered changing my bike for a new one

Finally getting closer to Real de Catorce

And once we hit the stone road , we knew tht there was only 20+ KM left

A little detour around a construction site

And now the scenery started to change from great to amazing

The road started to climb up the mountains

And then there it was , the entrance to the 2.3 KM long tunnel, the main access road to Real

And we got to see the light at the end of the tunnel

And now we are off for an other great day of hiking in the desert
Old 04-25-2012, 07:34 AM   #315
El Stigo
Hey Ese its EL STIGO

Oddometer: 317
Hope this helps!

Quote:
Hola Lance , I hope your commnt about bad taste etc. was not pointed in my direction ; so far I only had great experiences in Mexico and that's exactly what I am telling everybody . In a mail I sent you from SAM I even told you that we are enjoying SAM . BTW, we went to most of the places that you suggested , and they wee great as usual .

So far I have done 7000 KM from Guate to Real de Catorce...you can see ,never lookng for the shortest or fastest route,always for the interesting one

Saludos !!
JULIO...MY APOLOGIES, I THOUGHT IT WAS CLEAR HERE THAT THE COMMENTS WERE NOT POINTED AT YOU.

Julio....you`re doing just fine....keep up the nice report and let the ADV WORLD and the majority of gringos know that the BAD news they see about Mexico on TV and in the papers is not the exact truth. Crime is bad everywhere....heads up as you travel away from that Starbucks shop folks!

RIDE ON...

ADIOS!

El Stigo

Quote:
Great minds think alike :

PS: Good to know that you like my pics
OBVIOUSLY NOT ALWAYS TRUE!
First motorcycle experience. Dads, 40 something HD knucklehead it was 1966 he was 22 and my first recorded photo on a bike taken at 2 yrs. Thanks for raising me on the back of your bikes and teaching me to ride my dirt bike 35 years ago!

El Stigo screwed with this post 04-26-2012 at 07:34 AM Reason: NOT WORTH IT....AND IT IS JULIOS RIDE NOT MINE!
El Stigo is offline   Reply With Quote