ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-24-2012, 08:54 AM   #301
odavid57
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Oddometer: 12
good eats and cheap gas

Food looks great as do the variety of the people. I hope the gas was stil .35c/gallon at that pump.
odavid57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:51 AM   #302
crashmaster
ow, my balls!
 
crashmaster's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Girdweed, AK
Oddometer: 5,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Stigo View Post

P.S. Just came back from a 6,000 mile ride in March/April...what about the rest of you?....
Well, about 50,000 miles through every country in the Americas, returned last July. More recently, another 3000 in mainland Mex, then another 1000 in Baja last month.

Keep up the great report Julio, you have a great eye with the camera!

Salud, Vin
__________________
Riding the Americas: No Fumar Español
_____________________________________________

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:33 PM   #303
The Breeze
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Utah
Oddometer: 199
Guaterider/Luisa,

Not sure where you guys plan to cross into the U.S., but if you cross through Reynosa/McAllen or Matamoros/Brownsville.......you have a place to stay.

I live in McAllen, Texas....have a spare bedroom you're welcome to use....and would we could go out for dinner/drinks

Send me a PM if you guys are riding through my little spot in the world.

Great ride/report
The Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:00 PM   #304
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Antigua , Guatemala
Oddometer: 1,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelito View Post
My apologies if I've rained on your parade here, I just wanted to make the point that perhaps with only a couple of nights under your belt in the town, there might be more for you to discover here than you might have gleaned at first glance. Saludos.
No problem, no harm done ! And yes , you are right , a couple of days is not enough for many things...but all I said is basically that I got a different feeling there as in any other place in Mexico I have been so far. I did spend 15 months over the last 30 years travelling around in Mexico, so I have seen quiet a few places .
But as a closing comment from my side I will just repeat what I wrote before : I aprreciated the beauties of SAM ,I had a good time there, and I did not say one bad ting about it .

Maybe on our way back down south we will geta chance to have this beer after all
__________________
Guatemala-Alaska-Guatemala
GuateRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:04 PM   #305
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Antigua , Guatemala
Oddometer: 1,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
My feelings exactly...........

....... I thought Julio was simply making a personal observation, which I happen to share.
Great minds think alike :

PS: Good to know that you like my pics
__________________
Guatemala-Alaska-Guatemala
GuateRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:14 PM   #306
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Antigua , Guatemala
Oddometer: 1,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Stigo View Post
However, I do feel it is in bad taste when someone writes bad things about a place they are visiting as a guest.


P.S. Just came back from a 6,000 mile ride in March/April...what about the rest of you?....Julio how many for you so far?
Hola Lance , I hope your commnt about bad taste etc. was not pointed in my direction ; so far I only had great experiences in Mexico and that's exactly what I am telling everybody . In a mail I sent you from SAM I even told you that we are enjoying SAM . BTW, we went to most of the places that you suggested , and they wee great as usual .

So far I have done 7000 KM from Guate to Real de Catorce...you can see ,never lookng for the shortest or fastest route,always for the interesting one

Saludos !!
__________________
Guatemala-Alaska-Guatemala
GuateRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:18 PM   #307
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Antigua , Guatemala
Oddometer: 1,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Breeze View Post
Guaterider/Luisa,

Not sure where you guys plan to cross into the U.S., but if you cross through Reynosa/McAllen or Matamoros/Brownsville.......you have a place to stay.

I live in McAllen, Texas....have a spare bedroom you're welcome to use....and would we could go out for dinner/drinks

Send me a PM if you guys are riding through my little spot in the world.

Great ride/report
Hello Breeze , Thank you for your kind offer ! So far the plan is to cross the border at Agua Prieta, AZ
If there should be any change in this plan , I will get back to you and pick you up on that offer
__________________
Guatemala-Alaska-Guatemala
GuateRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:28 PM   #308
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Antigua , Guatemala
Oddometer: 1,366
Since yesterday we are in Real de Catorce, incredible place !!!! We definitely will stay longer as planed

But here still a few last pics fromSan Luis Potosi











__________________
Guatemala-Alaska-Guatemala
GuateRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:26 PM   #309
miguelito
Studly Adventurer
 
miguelito's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: San Miguel de Allende, GTO, Mexico
Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuateRider View Post
Maybe on our way back down south we will geta chance to have this beer after all
Deal, although depending on timing we may intersect further north. I'll be touring for a couple of weeks in June in New Mexico/Colorado, and then in early July start a month or more circuit up the CA coast/sierras through Oregon/Washington/Idaho then back to SMA through the Rockies. I'll keep an eye out for your Beemer on the way!
miguelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:33 PM   #310
cyberdos
True Story Bro
 
cyberdos's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Queen Creek, AZ
Oddometer: 23,815
Real de Catorce is definitely a magical place. At night, when the storms roll in it feels like you're on another planet. it's way cool. If you decide to take the "backside" out just make sure Luisa doesn't look left. you know, because those sheer drops sometimes makes you think twice about WTF you're doing there in the first place.
__________________
...
Presione dos para español.
cyberdos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:56 AM   #311
nailit2em
Gnarly Adventurer
 
nailit2em's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Somewhere....I'll look for a road sign
Oddometer: 353
Hola

Luisa it will be great to finally meet you when you get up north. After reading the last several pages here on ADV I think Julio and I will be in trouble if you and Nikki get together and talk.

And happy birthday...better late than never.

This is great stuff!! I'm glad I finally had some time to sit down on the computer and actually read and enjoy your trip! I'm keeping notes and hopefully Nikki and I will visit many of the places you have been to.

Keep the updates coming!!!
__________________
Have Kegs will travel!
nailit2em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:38 AM   #312
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Antigua , Guatemala
Oddometer: 1,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdos View Post
Real de Catorce is definitely a magical place. At night, when the storms roll in it feels like you're on another planet. it's way cool. If you decide to take the "backside" out just make sure Luisa doesn't look left. you know, because those sheer drops sometimes makes you think twice about WTF you're doing there in the first place.
We saw part of that road on one of our hikes and we listened to some stories told by locals abou cars going over the cliffs. Big mistake : I guess I will have a hard time talking her into leaving Real this way
__________________
Guatemala-Alaska-Guatemala
GuateRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:39 AM   #313
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Antigua , Guatemala
Oddometer: 1,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by nailit2em View Post
Luisa it will be great to finally meet you when you get up north. After reading the last several pages here on ADV I think Julio and I will be in trouble if you and Nikki get together and talk.

And happy birthday...better late than never.

This is great stuff!! I'm glad I finally had some time to sit down on the computer and actually read and enjoy your trip! I'm keeping notes and hopefully Nikki and I will visit many of the places you have been to.

Keep the updates coming!!!
Hey Shawn, updates coming right up !!
__________________
Guatemala-Alaska-Guatemala
GuateRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:42 AM   #314
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Antigua , Guatemala
Oddometer: 1,366
San Luis Potosi-Real de Catorce

People say that time stands still in Real de Catorce…to me it seems that time flys. It’s een already 2 days since we got here and so far we haven’t stopped hiking the surrounding hills
Anyway , here some pics (all taken by my wife) from the ride from San Luis Potosi to Real . Getting out from the hotel lobby



Finding our way out of San Luis Potosi



The road was kind of boring, long strait stretches , not much to see then ourselfes




It got o boring that I even considered changing my bike for a new one




Finally getting closer to Real de Catorce




And once we hit the stone road , we knew tht there was only 20+ KM left



A little detour around a construction site




And now the scenery started to change from great to amazing



The road started to climb up the mountains







And then there it was , the entrance to the 2.3 KM long tunnel, the main access road to Real



And we got to see the light at the end of the tunnel




And now we are off for an other great day of hiking in the desert
__________________
Guatemala-Alaska-Guatemala
GuateRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:34 AM   #315
El Stigo
Hey Ese its EL STIGO
 
El Stigo's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: ANYWHERE BETWEEN THE US, MEXICO & WHO KNOWS
Oddometer: 317
Hope this helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuateRider View Post
Hola Lance , I hope your commnt about bad taste etc. was not pointed in my direction ; so far I only had great experiences in Mexico and that's exactly what I am telling everybody . In a mail I sent you from SAM I even told you that we are enjoying SAM . BTW, we went to most of the places that you suggested , and they wee great as usual .

So far I have done 7000 KM from Guate to Real de Catorce...you can see ,never lookng for the shortest or fastest route,always for the interesting one

Saludos !!
JULIO...MY APOLOGIES, I THOUGHT IT WAS CLEAR HERE THAT THE COMMENTS WERE NOT POINTED AT YOU.

Julio....you`re doing just fine....keep up the nice report and let the ADV WORLD and the majority of gringos know that the BAD news they see about Mexico on TV and in the papers is not the exact truth. Crime is bad everywhere....heads up as you travel away from that Starbucks shop folks!

RIDE ON...

ADIOS!

El Stigo



Quote:
Originally Posted by GuateRider View Post
Great minds think alike :

PS: Good to know that you like my pics
OBVIOUSLY NOT ALWAYS TRUE!
__________________
First motorcycle experience. Dads, 40 something HD knucklehead it was 1966 he was 22 and my first recorded photo on a bike taken at 2 yrs. Thanks for raising me on the back of your bikes and teaching me to ride my dirt bike 35 years ago!

El Stigo screwed with this post 04-26-2012 at 07:34 AM Reason: NOT WORTH IT....AND IT IS JULIOS RIDE NOT MINE!
El Stigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014