Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2012, 04:36 PM   #391
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,348
Copper Canyon among other things is a never ending story as far as photo opportunities.....

Old 05-12-2012, 08:37 PM   #392
Ed~
What, Me Worry?

Oddometer: 332
Thumb Acorn woodpecker... that last photo up there!

I spent several weeks in Copper Canyon. If you have the free time, it is worth exploring all the different Barranca's.

It is truly worth riding down to Batopilas. The road is stunning and will take concentration going down, but if Luisa gets nervous she can close her eyes. Not that dangerous and nothing as dramatic as the crazy road down from Real de 14 to the desert. Going back up is easier if you reduce the air pressure to 20lbs on both tires (better traction on dirt roads in general). Air back up when you reach the pavement.

Do not bypass the falls at Basaseachic... and swim in the crisp river if the weather is sunny!
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi
Ed~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:06 PM   #393
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Divisadero

We decided to spend 2 nights out in Divisadero Barrancas , because it is definitely the best spot to enjoy the canyon : The views are spectacular and there are so many hiking opportunities right there. Nonoisy town nearby, no cars or trucks , just the train passing by twice a day. The 2 nights we spent out there in Divisadero Barrancas , we stayed at this hotel http://www.hoteldivisadero.com/ .
Sleeping out there , puts the Canyon in a different perspective : There is not a single light at night to interfere with all the stars , the first thing you see in the morning from your bed is the Canyon, from your breakfast table you see the Canyon, from your chair at the fireplace at night you see the Canyon…
The Canyon is all around you , all day and night long

The main entrance door is a master piece of local craftmanship

And while I was out in the mountains easrly in the morning looking for the best spot for the sunrise, my wife stayed in bed and just opened the curtains and she got this

Old 05-13-2012, 06:44 PM   #394
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thumb Batopilas

Just got back from Batopilas , what a ride !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe after a few I will post some pics before I fall asleep
Old 05-14-2012, 06:13 AM   #395
Cowtowner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Amazing Place

Copper Canyon looks like an amazing place - I had no idea. Like another grand canyon. What a great ride!!!
Cowtowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:03 AM   #396
odavid57
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
more wonders

Hey guys...incredible pics keep them coming.....Julio you look like you need to eat more....Im off to the usa on thursday, going for chelsea´s graduation, send me a smoke signal as I fly over mexico..

Ciao bellos
odavid57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:11 AM   #397
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thumb Batopilas

BATOPILAS …..for many years it was on my mind , I have been following RR from other people doing it , I have been dreaming about the day when my turn was coming up, I was listening to peoples advise that my bike would be to heavy , other saying it would be no problem, I had doubts, … After having been so close to it a few days ago when we had to turn around , today should be my second chance ; Luisa decided not to come along and stay in the hotel and do some overdue work on the computer . Too bad , an incredible ride she missed and all the great pics that she could have taken from the backseat . Well, I started after breakfast and it was pretty cool at that moment 40 F . The 100 km from Creel to the end of the pavement are a great ride, and then, there I was :The actual road down to Batopilas begun . A few turns and I got the first view down the canyon…really impressive

Halfway down ,at La Bufa, 3 small houses, 2 of them little stores, I stopped in one of them to get some water. What a surprise when I got welcomed into the store by a lady in perfect English :she was the owner and originally from Iowa ! She has lived down here for 20 years, used to have a B&B and since tourism died, she opened the little tienda. Really nice lady with a lot of interesting stories to tell!! It started getting hot and hotter, by the time I reached Batopilas my bike marked 114 F

The town was kind of strange, very few people around, lots of places closed down; so I decided just to get a bottle of water instead of a cold beer , turn around and start the long and hot way back up again.
Once you cross this bridge, you are on the dirt again

On the way up, my bike started to overheat : 114F and riding pretty slow is a bad combination for an air-cooled bike . So I had to stop a few times, wait a little while and then go on. To be honest, I didn’t mind the few breaks at all : Gave me time to rest and to enjoy the beauty of the place.

Almost 9 hours after I left Creel , I was back again … feeling incredibly good and thankful for the great day I had
Old 05-14-2012, 01:05 PM   #398
marior97
marior97

Oddometer: 305
Julio, those views and road to Batopilas look GREAT !!!!!!
Old 05-14-2012, 02:11 PM   #399
miguelito
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Julio, I'm just curious if with your newfound knowledge of the road to Batopilas, you would ride down to Batopilas with a passenger? I was at Divisadero last summer and debated heading into the canyon with my 110 LB. GF on the pillion, but decided to err on the cautious side, and leave it for another day.
miguelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:40 PM   #400
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtowner View Post
Copper Canyon looks like an amazing place - I had no idea. Like another grand canyon. What a great ride!!!
Yes it is indeed ; areawise it is bigger as the Grand Canyon and deeper as well .

Quote:
Originally Posted by odavid57 View Post
Hey guys...incredible pics keep them coming.....Julio you look like you need to eat more....Im off to the usa on thursday, going for chelsea´s graduation, send me a smoke signal as I fly over mexico..
Ciao bellos
We have to much luggage , if I get any heavyer it might be to much for the bike
Enjopy your trip and congrats to Chelsea !
Old 05-14-2012, 05:48 PM   #401
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marior97 View Post
Julio, those views and road to Batopilas look GREAT !!!!!!
In real it looks even better

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelito View Post
Julio, I'm just curious if with your newfound knowledge of the road to Batopilas, you would ride down to Batopilas with a passenger? I was at Divisadero last summer and debated heading into the canyon with my 110 LB. GF on the pillion, but decided to err on the cautious side, and leave it for another day.
I guess it depends on how comfortable you are on narrow dirtroads with cliffs on one side and how your pasenger reacts; but yes, it is doable with 2 up . There are only 2-3 critical spots : Because of the ongoing roadwork they made some detours.
Now during or after the raining season it might get tougher .
But if you want to do it on dirt , you better hurry,they are working hard on the new pavement
Old 05-14-2012, 08:31 PM   #402
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Around Creel

Two days ago I went for a ride out of Creel ; first I went to a smaller Divisadero with a great view

From there I went to see the famous Piedra de Pitorreal

Located next to the railways of the Chihuahua Pacifico

Then I went on to El Valle de las Ranas y Hongos (Valley of the frogs and mushrooms) , called so because the strange rocks that are all over the place

Then I went on to the Valle de los Monjes (valley of the monks), also called so because of its strange rockformations

From there I found a trail going through the woods and finally coming out on the backside of Lago Arareko

Old 05-15-2012, 04:56 AM   #403
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,787
I am surprised nobody has put a Pena Nieto poster on the Piedra Pitorreal. LOL!
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:24 PM   #404
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
I am surprised nobody has put a Pena Nieto poster on the Piedra Pitorreal. LOL!
It's bad enough that people spray painted it already , some locals worship it as a fertility symbol
Old 05-16-2012, 04:18 AM   #405
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuateRider View Post
some locals worship it as a fertility symbol
That would be an interesting ceremony.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote