Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2012, 02:04 PM   #421
richsuz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuateRider View Post
Just got off the bike in Bisbee, Arizona
Put the pesos away and get the credit card out! It won't be cheap no more!
richsuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:18 PM   #422
TK-LA
SoCal Rider

Oddometer: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuateRider View Post
Just got off the bike in Bisbee, Arizona
Will you be hitting Southern California?

If so, hit me up. I know a ton of great roads for you to hit as you meander northwards.

EDIT: I also know of a ton of FREE camping spots in southern and mid california.
2007 Suzuki GS500f - Don't underestimate (and don't take it in loose rocks!)
2004 Suzuki LS650 "Savage" - Either stolen or ran away from home.

TK-LA screwed with this post 05-17-2012 at 03:06 PM
TK-LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:31 PM   #423
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Oddometer: 23,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by richsuz View Post
Truth.

How many days will you be there? Any sort of route plans?
Old 05-17-2012, 03:12 PM   #424
westerlywinds
Two Wheels-Ride it

Oddometer: 163

Hello I found your report I read straight through.Very nice photos. I had to locate Real de Catorce by map .I have been to Creel and the Cascada only with water running strong.I recognized some of your photos My in-laws live in Chiuahua Chua. we've been that far south a couple of times.I'm subscribed I know some places in Colo and Utah Oregon.Keep riding and writing
westerlywinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:20 PM   #425
nailit2em
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Official welcome

WELCOME TO THE USA!!!!!
Old 05-17-2012, 09:15 PM   #426
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlane1 View Post
Great RR! When/IF you pass through Vancouver, BC I have a great workshop with some bikes to keep your bike company and a room for you! Keep on rolling
Thank you for your offer ! We are planing to come through your neighborhood on our way back down south ; I will get in touch with you when we are getting closer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Que te vaya bien, amigos! Ahora vas a ser en las manos del tio Sam.
Gracias ! Hopefully Uncle Sam will be kind to us

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyer View Post
Thank you for the great report! The pictures and the journey make me jealous. One day!
Glad you like it; every day could be that day...
Old 05-17-2012, 09:25 PM   #427
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsuz View Post
The pesos are gone , nothing left to put away . Let's see how far the credit card will take us ... we'll get camping gear and stove, that should help

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdos View Post
Truth.

How many days will you be there? Any sort of route plans?
I might wait for Ed to return to Bisbee; so far no routeplan . Need to buy a map tomorrow and work on that
Old 05-17-2012, 09:33 PM   #428
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-LA View Post
Will you be hitting Southern California?

If so, hit me up. I know a ton of great roads for you to hit as you meander northwards.

EDIT: I also know of a ton of FREE camping spots in southern and mid california.
We will hit California on our way back down south; I will the come back to your offer, thx !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by westerlywinds View Post
Hello I found your report I read straight through.Very nice photos. I had to locate Real de Catorce by map .I have been to Creel and the Cascada only with water running strong.I recognized some of your photos My in-laws live in Chiuahua Chua. we've been that far south a couple of times.I'm subscribed I know some places in Colo and Utah Oregon.Keep riding and writing
Chihuahua is great and the cascada with water must be really great. I will get back to you about those places once we get a bit further up north, thx !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailit2em View Post
WELCOME TO THE USA!!!!!
Thank you , Shawn !!
Old 05-18-2012, 10:29 AM   #429
Supergringo
Hablar, bla bla bla.

Oddometer: 132
As you have probably gathered, there is a lot of camping available in the USA. In many years of camping, I have never had a problem with safety issues or theft. Plus, it is definitely much cheaper than the hotel options available here.

A lot of the available camping will be on publicly owned campgrounds, where you will certainly be asked to pay a fee. Usually these campgrounds will have some sort of restroom facility and water. Sometimes they will have coin operated showers, but don't count on it.

Aside from these pay options, there is a lot of government owned land in the western part of the US. Often this is called BLM land (bureau of land management) - federal government. Generally, you can camp where ever you like on BLM land, for free. Near popular vacation areas and resorts there may be some rules, but this will usually be posted with "no camping" signs. So, if you see wide open spaces in the Western US that aren't fenced off and are not productive agricultural areas there is a good chance its BLM land. Drive a bit away from the main roads and find a quiet spot. With a motorcycle and stealth camping, you really have a lot of options in the Western US.

Also, please note that on Thursday, Friday and Saturday, it may become very difficult to find open spots at the pay campsites, especially in popular destinations. Since I don't plan ahead well, my strategy for this problem is to drive around the campground, look for interesting people that aren't too crowded in their spot and ask if I can join them. It helps to be carrying some beer :)

Enjoy!
Supergringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:01 PM   #430
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergringo View Post

Also, please note that on Thursday, Friday and Saturday, it may become very difficult to find open spots at the pay campsites, especially in popular destinations. Since I don't plan ahead well, my strategy for this problem is to drive around the campground, look for interesting people that aren't too crowded in their spot and ask if I can join them. It helps to be carrying some beer :)

Enjoy!
Thanks for the advice , I will keep it in mind
Old 05-18-2012, 03:03 PM   #431
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Coffee place in the last town in Mexico where we spent a night

Old 05-18-2012, 03:41 PM   #432
Carl Stark
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Northern Wyoming

Just found your thread. We are enjoying reading about your travels. We have travelled south of our border 3 times and have enjoyed the hospitality that the people south of the border provided us. We have completed Prudhoe Bay to Ushuaia in our new retired life. Hopefully you will travel through Sheridan Wyoming (just east of Yellowstone Park) and will plan to stay with us. We have garage, motorcycle lift and tools if you need to do maintainence or repairs.
Hope to be able to be the gracious hosts that many in Central and South America were to us!
Carl and Jonnie
PS... Hi Mario, Often think about that wonderful day at the Air Show in San Salvador! Say hi to Carlos!
Carl Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:09 PM   #433
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Stark View Post
Just found your thread. We are enjoying reading about your travels. We have travelled south of our border 3 times and have enjoyed the hospitality that the people south of the border provided us. We have completed Prudhoe Bay to Ushuaia in our new retired life. Hopefully you will travel through Sheridan Wyoming (just east of Yellowstone Park) and will plan to stay with us. We have garage, motorcycle lift and tools if you need to do maintainence or repairs.
Hope to be able to be the gracious hosts that many in Central and South America were to us!
Carl and Jonnie
PS... Hi Mario, Often think about that wonderful day at the Air Show in San Salvador! Say hi to Carlos!
Hola Carl and Jonnie , thank you for your kind invitation . Yellowstone is definitely on our (no)plan
I just finally bought a road map of the US, actually helps a lot to get a better idea of where everything is and how to get there . We will let you know when we are getting closer to your neighborhood.
BTW, Mario is riding in the Austrian Alps right now
Old 05-18-2012, 07:18 PM   #434
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Chihuahua-Arizona

We left Nueva Casas Grandes early in the morning and for a long time the ride was pretty boring,no curves , no mountains , not even hills.

The we got into some mountains and even cooled down a little bit

Pretty close before Agua Prieta we saw a huge line of trucks and of course we passed them all

And there we saw what caused the big line , an army checkpoint . Here they checked every single vehicle

A few miles down the road there was an other checkpoint , Migracion this time

And there we were , at the border . But all we wanted to do here in Agua Prieta was to cancel our TVIP and then go on to Naco , a much smaller border with no waiting lines. Canceling the TVIP and getting my money back didn’t take more then 5 minutes. We parked right behind the Banjercito

From there it took us 20 minutes to get to Naco , we had a little chat with the guy from Migracion about Guatemala and we were out of Mexico. It took us 3 month and 10 000 KM to cross this country , and we enjoyed every single day and KM

On the US side of the border everything was pretty easy as well , a little chat with the custom agent about bikes and we were in the US.
The short ride to Naco gave me an idea about how different it will be to ride in the US, 25 speed limit signs in a 15 mile stretch…and everybody takes them seriously…
But after a little while we arrived well in Bisbee

Old 05-19-2012, 06:53 AM   #435
Dblarrow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
NW Montana

Hola Julio, Really nice to read a ride report going backwards from the typical north to south.

If you end up coming north through Montana and hitting up Glacier Park - great ride, Going to the Sun road (often to much construction though) you have an open invitation to my place; have a spare bedroom and shower. Just a day notice and its yours. Only condition, you gotta stop by prior the the 4th of July as mine and my daughters trip to Alaska starts then.

Blessings and safe travels, Chris
Dblarrow is offline   Reply With Quote