ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2012, 04:15 PM   #856
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Antigua , Guatemala
Oddometer: 1,363
Seattle 2

The best part of Vancouver was meeting our hosts , Matt and Inna . They are friends of our common friend Mario ,aka marior97, from El Salvador . They met him when they both rode their KLRs down to to Ushuaia.
They both were really busy,Matt with finishing an important work project and being hunted by a deadline,Inna with their lovely baby, and even so they took the time to drive us around , to show us places to see, to cook for us. Thank you so much guys !!!!!!!!!!

Here they are, with their favourite drink :VODKA




And in their kitchen, where Inna prepared some great dishes






We had a great time at their dinner table











And one night Inna let me cook in her kitchen, I really ejoyed it ! Gracias !!!








We always get the question about what we liked best on our journey; it’s not any place in particular, but it are moments like this , when we sit at somebodys table and have a great time. Many times we have not even met these people before,but after a very short time we feel like we are good,old friends . It is great to see, that our joys and worries are the same , even if we come from different cultures,even if we live 10 000 miles away . It shows us how much easier life could be , if everybody would have a different way to approach it . We wont need no pictures to remember all this for the rest of our lifes !!!
We made more friends in these last 6+month on the road then in 6 years back home , we have been confronted with so much kindness,help and hospitality that it is just unbelievable … We are so lucky to have the chance to experience all this, we are blessed and so thankful for it .

GRACIAS A LA VIDA; QUE ME HA DADO TANTO ….
__________________
Guatemala-Alaska-Guatemala
GuateRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:53 PM   #857
Oldone
One day at a time!
 
Oldone's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: MN. (summers) AZ. (winters)
Oddometer: 634
Awesome photos for sure!

What a great bunch of photos.....Thanks for taking the tremendous amount of time that it takes to do something like this. It's awesome!

Gary "Oldone"

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride
Grampa’s National Monument Ride
Oldone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:37 AM   #858
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Antigua , Guatemala
Oddometer: 1,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldone View Post
What a great bunch of photos.....Thanks for taking the tremendous amount of time that it takes to do something like this. It's awesome!

Gary "Oldone"

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride
Grampa’s National Monument Ride

Thanks Gary, it's good to see that the effort is appreciated
__________________
Guatemala-Alaska-Guatemala
GuateRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:55 AM   #859
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Antigua , Guatemala
Oddometer: 1,363
Weekend with Radioman

After emailing and messaging a few times over the last few months, we finally managed to meet up with Mark,aka Radioman . He invited us to spend Labor Day weekend with him on Whidbey Island .
So Saturday morning we rode up to Mukilteo to catch the ferry over to the island . As we got close to it , there was a long line of cars , but we have been told by Radioman that we should just pass all the cars and go ahead to the end of the line (just like we do it back home all the time)
It felt so good to finally be able to pass a line of stucked cars again





We got our tickets and on we went to the ferry





It was a short but nice ferry ride










The island is a beautiful place,nice roads and beaches and a lot of silence and nature with spectacular sunsets







The next morning I went for a short ride with Mark, out to Langley, a lovely ,quiet town on the other side of the island














And here our two bikes , they have both seen a lot of incredible places on this continent







Having a drink on the beach with our host





It was a great weekend , a lot of interesting stories, exchange of information and experiences .
Thanks Radioman and good luck on your upcoming ride down south !!!!
__________________
Guatemala-Alaska-Guatemala
GuateRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:37 AM   #860
AndréBigTrailRider
VIAJAR É PRECISO...!
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: São Paulo - Brasil
Oddometer: 15
It really should have been a great meeting. To have a few beers and shoot the breeze .....!!
Big hug to all and a great trip!

André
AndréBigTrailRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:13 PM   #861
sgio
Adventurer
 
sgio's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Upstate NY
Oddometer: 95
Laugh Thanks!

What a great trip! Thanks for sharing

I just found your great RR from a link on Radioman's epic thread. I have spent much of the last couple days getting caught up and I will follow along for the rest.

Thanks again and ride safe!
sgio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:00 PM   #862
marior97
marior97
 
marior97's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: San Salvador, El Salvador
Oddometer: 307
Great to see Matt and Inna again !!!!
Muchos saludos y gracias por compartir !!!!
__________________
Mario
marior97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:45 AM   #863
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Antigua , Guatemala
Oddometer: 1,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndréBigTrailRider View Post
It really should have been a great meeting. To have a few beers and shoot the breeze .....!!
Big hug to all and a great trip!

André
It was indeed


Quote:
Originally Posted by sgio View Post
What a great trip! Thanks for sharing

I just found your great RR from a link on Radioman's epic thread. I have spent much of the last couple days getting caught up and I will follow along for the rest.

Thanks again and ride safe!
Thanks, it's good to have you along!



Quote:
Originally Posted by marior97 View Post
Great to see Matt and Inna again !!!!
Muchos saludos y gracias por compartir !!!!
No, gracias a ti por tu apoyo
__________________
Guatemala-Alaska-Guatemala
GuateRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:43 PM   #864
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Antigua , Guatemala
Oddometer: 1,363
Olympic Peninsula

After two days on the Olympic Peninsula we are back in Seattle.What an incredible place :rainforest,beach and glaciar!!! Now we have to figure out a way how to get all the stuff that we shipped from Montana to here, on the bike...
And then tomorrow we will start towards Oregon
__________________
Guatemala-Alaska-Guatemala
GuateRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:55 PM   #865
Cal
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary
Oddometer: 747
Julio
I brought my bike home today in the back of my truck and used 1 of the tie downs you gave me, worked great!
The lake was a little quiet with just Colleen and I and no others to cook for. we are home to see Tessa off to London, then Colleen goes to L.A. for a week and I am off to Vancouver to sail for a few days!
Oregon is a fantastic state for riding, buena suerte amigo!
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:20 PM   #866
SoosCreek
Angle of Repose...
 
SoosCreek's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Seattle Ish
Oddometer: 120
Washington Travels?

Hey Guatemala!

Sorry we could not make it up to Whidbey Island last weekend for dinner with Radioman et al. We chose to skip the holiday weekend but would have loved to have met you both. My wife has been to Guatemala in her younger years and would have had fun talking! We are headed up to the same place on the island tomorrow, just down the beach a little....Mark said you were headed to the peninsula and then down the coast. Hope you have a great time. If you need anything south of Seattle, drop me a line.

Steve
__________________
__________________
2006 BMW 1200GS
2006 Honda ST1300

2011 West Coast Swing | 2012 Trekking Baja and Copper Canyon
SoosCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:00 AM   #867
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Antigua , Guatemala
Oddometer: 1,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
Julio
I brought my bike home today in the back of my truck and used 1 of the tie downs you gave me, worked great!
The lake was a little quiet with just Colleen and I and no others to cook for. we are home to see Tessa off to London, then Colleen goes to L.A. for a week and I am off to Vancouver to sail for a few days!
Oregon is a fantastic state for riding, buena suerte amigo!
Hey Cal, good to hear you made it back home all right . I bet it was much more quiet out in the cabin without all the crazy riders....
Enjoy your sailing,I hope the weather stays as good as it was a week ago when we were there.
Un abrazo y hasta la proxima!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoosCreek View Post
Hey Guatemala!

Sorry we could not make it up to Whidbey Island last weekend for dinner with Radioman et al. We chose to skip the holiday weekend but would have loved to have met you both. My wife has been to Guatemala in her younger years and would have had fun talking! We are headed up to the same place on the island tomorrow, just down the beach a little....Mark said you were headed to the peninsula and then down the coast. Hope you have a great time. If you need anything south of Seattle, drop me a line.

Steve
Hi Steve ,
Too bad we didn't meet, would have been fun.
Thx for your offer and enjoy the island
Julio
__________________
Guatemala-Alaska-Guatemala
GuateRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:06 PM   #868
AKjack
Savvy?
 
AKjack's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Alaska
Oddometer: 39
Margie and I have some favorite places in Oregon, depending on your route. Astoria and Seaside are fun little towns on the coast. Timberline lodge on Mt. Hood is beautiful. Sisters is my favorite little town east of the Cascades. The John Day Fossil beds/Painted Hills are impressive and Crater Lake is worth the trip.

Thanks for the good posts. We would love to be out riding with you right now, but your posts are a nice substitute.

Tell your wife that we are starting some Spanish classes at the school for our little ones. I'm excited about that.

Lastly, I thought that you would enjoy knowing that the snow is already creeping down the mountains here in Palmer/Wasilla.

Take care,
Tom
AKjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:37 AM   #869
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Antigua , Guatemala
Oddometer: 1,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKjack View Post
Margie and I have some favorite places in Oregon, depending on your route. Astoria and Seaside are fun little towns on the coast. Timberline lodge on Mt. Hood is beautiful. Sisters is my favorite little town east of the Cascades. The John Day Fossil beds/Painted Hills are impressive and Crater Lake is worth the trip.

Thanks for the good posts. We would love to be out riding with you right now, but your posts are a nice substitute.

Tell your wife that we are starting some Spanish classes at the school for our little ones. I'm excited about that.

Lastly, I thought that you would enjoy knowing that the snow is already creeping down the mountains here in Palmer/Wasilla.

Take care,
Tom

Hi guys, we will look into your favourite places down here .
I will tell Luisa about the spanish classes, maybe she will send her curriculum and aplly for the job
Snow in the mountains already...that reminds me that Rob offered me some snow machine lessons , not now but who knows what can happen in a few month from now. I sure do miss Alaska !!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers
__________________
Guatemala-Alaska-Guatemala
GuateRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:46 AM   #870
Radioman
Moto rider
 
Radioman's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: HOME (at least for now)
Oddometer: 4,945
Hola Julio and Luisa! So glad that our timing worked out to spend a couple days together!! Was so good to meet you and of course i will be following along your journey!

Julio Picking Blackberries ......



Couple nice meals together!



Packed up and ready for the Olympic Pennisula



off they go!





Ride Safe and enjoy the Pacific North West. Will be interested to read your experiences and comments about Mt Rainier, Mt St Helens, The Columbia River gorge, Mt Hood, Crater Lake, Oregon Coast etc!

Safe Travels to both of you!!
__________________
Chapter 3 of my life...... with Faith, Hope and Courage!

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014