Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2012, 08:58 AM   #946
AKjack
Savvy?

Oddometer: 39
Years ago when we were camping outside of crater lake, we were being disturbed by a bear rummaging in the brush around the tent. Very exciting! Any good wildlife when you were there?
AKjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:12 AM   #947
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuateRider View Post

One way how to carry a pair of huge offroad boots

Great idea! Even after 2 years on the road I just wore mine everyday.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:26 PM   #948
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,384
Lassen, National park

In the morning we left kind of late and went off looking for a forest road that somebody had told us about .
I always thought that my bike was heavily overloaded, but after seeing Joachims bike…and he is travelling solo…….

I’m not sure if we found the right road, but it sure was a beautiful spot where we ended up

From there we went on towards Mt. Lassen, National Park. By the time we got there, we could see that there was quiet a bit of smoke from the Oregon fires in the air

But the views were still impressive

And this reminded me of what we have seen in Yellowstone

By the time we got to Red Bluff, temperature was up at 97…way to hot after a few cold days in the mountains. …. The pool and a few cold ones felt just great
Old 09-27-2012, 06:35 PM   #949
gringostd
Rubber side up

Oddometer: 313
Quote:
I always thought that my bike was heavily overloaded, but after seeing Joachims bike…and he is travelling solo…….

Good lord, is that a wet suit? ... and what's in the big, silver canister? Where did he fit his ass?!

Arctic Relay 2012 - aka "Pass the Gringo"
gringostd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:32 PM   #950
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKjack View Post
Years ago when we were camping outside of crater lake, we were being disturbed by a bear rummaging in the brush around the tent. Very exciting! Any good wildlife when you were there?
Just a few deers,nothing exciting ? How is the Moose hunting season been so far? Did your daughter get one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringostd View Post
Good lord, is that a wet suit? ... and what's in the big, silver canister? Where did he fit his ass?!
Wet suit is one of the few things he does not carry In the silver canister goes the sleeping bag and a sheepskin
Old 09-28-2012, 06:48 AM   #951
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Yesterday we left Red Bluff and took highway 36 out to the coast . Beautiful road with lots of turns and almost no traffic. I enjoyed the ride and myself , looking for the ideal line in all these turns, riding like I did it back home on the weekends and not over carefully like usually on the journey
This riding made me hungry , so we stopped at this interesting place : good and simple breakfast, not fast, but good

Once we got closer to the coast, we came through a forest with great trees , riding in a green and living tunnel

Once we got to Ferndale, we split up . Joachim went out to the Lost Coast , heading south on his way to Argentina (Good luck amigo!!) , and I went to Eureka , to spend the rest of the day there.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:43 AM   #952
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Eureka

Eureka …I liked it ! A nice small town,with lots of murals

I just hung out, walked around ,relaxed and took some pictures.
It was a fun afternoon and evening

And of course there was not just art around …

At the evening down at the docks it got a big foggy

Old 09-28-2012, 09:07 PM   #953
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thumb Lost Coast

What an incredible day riding

The Lost Coast and then the Red Woods....AMAZING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-28-2012, 10:44 PM   #954
rtwpaul
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,930
Quote:
I'm travelling slow,in a month I will still be far from Guatemala . Let me know when you are there and I set you up with some locals for that beer
i am still in Louisiana, i cross the border next week and i'm taking it slow in mexico, staying with mikemike in Vercruz on the way south, then a little Belize so i won't be in Guatemala until late October and then be there for a month...if this ties in with you getting back drop me a PM and we can hook up for that beer
rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:20 AM   #955
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwpaul View Post
i am still in Louisiana, i cross the border next week and i'm taking it slow in mexico, staying with mikemike in Vercruz on the way south, then a little Belize so i won't be in Guatemala until late October and then be there for a month...if this ties in with you getting back drop me a PM and we can hook up for that beer

Let's see how it works out , would like to have this and get some tips on how to improve my pics . Keep me posted when you get to Guate
Old 09-29-2012, 07:14 AM   #956
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Lost Coast

The ride out of Eureka to the Lost Coast was incredible !!!
Once I crossed the bridge in Ferndale , it almost felt like being back home again :SHITTY PAVEMENT BUT INCREDIBLESCENERY
The changes of temperature are very frequent, as soon as you get closer to the ocean , it gets cold , and 8 miles up the hills it gets really hot again

This is how it starts

Then you get the first look at the ocean

And then it just gets better and better...blue sky for one moment, foggy the next...both very beautiful in their own way. Before getting to the Pacific North Coast I never liked the fog, now I see it in a different way, I learned to appreciate its beauty and mystery...Everything about nature is just beautiful as soon as we approach it with an open mind and as long as we are thankful for the opportunity to see it

And this bridge took me away from one of the most beautiful coastlines that I have seen so far...and one step closer to an other miracle of nature, the Red Woods

Old 09-30-2012, 06:52 AM   #957
Nateman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Thanks for all the great pics. I did a similar trip years ago (although in a car) and your RR brings back fond memories. You are seeing some great parts of the country.
Nateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:15 AM   #958
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nateman View Post
Thanks for all the great pics. I did a similar trip years ago (although in a car) and your RR brings back fond memories. You are seeing some great parts of the country.

Good to have you along and lad that you are enjoying the pics !
Old 09-30-2012, 07:47 AM   #959
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Redwoods

After leaving the Lost Coast, I arrived at Humboldt Redwoods State Park . Whenever we as human being start to believe that we are almighty , we should take a walk in the Redwoods and I'm sure that in no time , we would get our feet back on the ground. The trees are huge, they are so massive,made me feel so small but also so protected. Very unique and peaceful environment

Old 09-30-2012, 10:01 AM   #960
Sailorlite
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Julio - Among those redwoods is the tallest tree on this planet, but not the biggest. Farther south, in Sequoia NP, is the biggest living thing on Earth - a sequoia tree. To get there you would pass the highest point in the continental US, Mt. Whitney and the lowest point in North America, Death Valley. This in case you like to collect superlatives. (And don't forget the oldest living things, bristlecone pines near Bishop, CA, and the site where gold was discovered in Calif. at Sutter's Mill). Or, save all that for another trip and just enjoy the Calif. coast south of Carmel.
Sailorlite is offline   Reply With Quote