User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2012, 04:13 PM   #1
fivetimeson129 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
best agm battery

PC680 Odyssey ? haven't been having much luck with the BMW agm-averaging two years- or is the agm the problem?, tnks to those who respond.
fivetimeson129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 04:39 PM   #2
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer: 9,579
I have had mine for about 3 years now. I don't ever charge it. It has never failed to start the '01 GS even when temps are < 32F. I did remove and service my starter at the same time I installed the new Odyssey.

I use 15w-50 engine oil year 'round here in AL.
def is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:35 PM   #3
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,206
The Odyssey or WestCo. The WestCo bolts right in with no connection modifications. Personally, we use the WestCo on all of our bikes but you would be happy with either.

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:11 AM   #4
Dream Rider
Servant

Oddometer: 192
new battery

I had an 03 GS and sold it with 48,000 and two batteries. live in SE washington, freezes in the winter but I keep a charger on it if I do not ride within three days. (usually ride every day except in Dec, Jan and Feb (black ice woes). I have heard good things about the Odessey and Westco as well. Keep the terminals clean so the alt can do its job and use the trikle charger. Maintneance is the key I thinks.
Dream Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:42 AM   #5
estlerd
TXRider

Oddometer: 185
Wicked Pc680

I have no experience with Wesco but installed an Odyssey PC680 in my 01 GS in 2005. After 7 years it finally died ( bike still started but ABS warning lights would not go out). Replaced with another PC680 from Batteries Plus here in town about a month ago.

Former
99 Ducati Monster
97 BWW F650
96 Honda CBR 600
91 GSXR 750
90 Honda CBR1000F
83 Suzuki GS1100E
79 BMW R100RS
77 BMW R75/7
more dirt bikes than I can remember
estlerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:01 AM   #6
fivetimeson129 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
Thank you all, FatChance what mods are necessary to get the Odyssey into a GS, cable lengthening?-are both the WestCo and Odyssey made in the States??

estlerd, 7 years would make me very happy.
fivetimeson129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:08 AM   #7
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,206
The PC680 has its connections in a different orientation than the stock battery so you need to buy, bend or fabricate a connection so the stock battery cables attach. It is not difficult because a lot of riders use them. I just prefer the WestCo...

Compare to your stock battery:

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:54 PM   #8
moparsbob
n00b

Oddometer: 6
I recently replaced the battery in my 2002 1150 GS with an PC680. I found the best deal online at SEPbatteries.com - $125 shipped. Batteries Plus locally wasn't willing to match that deal - IIRC they wanted something like $179 for it. It came with "L" shaped adapters and bolts for use in a motorcycle. It appears to be a little taller than the stock battery, although I didn't have the stock one for comparison. I bought my GS last fall, and the previous owner had stuck a cheap flooded cell battery in it, which would die within a few days if the bike was not ridden. I had to play with the cables a bit to work enough slack up to where I could attach them, but they were long enough to reach the L adapters on the PC680 without modification. The L adapter on the hot side appeared uncomfortably close to the inside of the gas tank, so I insulated it well after attaching the cable. The bike cranks & starts much better with the new PC680 in it, but I can't comment about the lifetime, since this is my first one.

Edit: This was actually a PC680MJT, with the metal jacket for increased heat resistance.

moparsbob screwed with this post 02-19-2012 at 04:56 PM
moparsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:26 PM   #9
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
WestCo manufactures labels, not batteries. MK owns WestCo and DOES build batteries, but last I checked, did not manufacture our size battery. So whenever you buy a WestCo, you are buying a battery from whatever vendor they chose to use this month along with a 100% manufactured by WestCo sticker .

The Stock battery in the 12GS/GSA is an Excide YTX14, unless you were unlucky enough to get a Yuasa YTZ12 in the time period BMW was trying out those.

Excide is owned by Yuasa so buying either of those labels get you the same battery, which if made in the USA at Excides old plant, isn't very good, and if buying with a BMW label on it is ubber expensive.

East Penn Deka makes outstanding batteries. The part number is ETX14. Direct drop in. This battery has been being tested out by BMW on a small number of BMW F800's for 3 years. I don't know why they are still testing them as the results are clear as day. The Yusa/Excide sucks, the Deka is awesome.

The Odyssey is beter, but costs more and requires significant modification unless you have the low seat, then it only requires minor modification to fit.
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:30 PM   #10
dfwscotty
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,251
Got mine at Amazon for $104 shipped. Keep looking there since prices change daily. Wasn't long after I bought mine that it started bumping back up. After reading the Amazon reviews about the only thing people hated was having to spend a few extra dollars for the L brackets I ordered a set along with the battery. I got the battery and brackets in at pretty much the same day. I opened the battery box to find that the battery did come with the L brackets. It fit my 1100GS just fine but the L brackets were able be used without coming close to the tank.
I wasn't able to put it in the bike for a few days so I put it on the charger on it. It shut off in less than 5 mins even during some cool temps of around 50F for a week.

Very happy with the battery. Probably will get me a tender but the previous agm battery lasted over 4 years with just regular riding. I like that.

1999 BMW 1100GS
2012 Kawasaki Concours
dfwscotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:56 PM   #11
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivetimeson129 View Post
Thank you all, FatChance what mods are necessary to get the Odyssey into a GS, cable lengthening?-are both the WestCo and Odyssey made in the States??

estlerd, 7 years would make me very happy.
Odyssey is made by EnerSys which is a global tighten, but their batteries on the USA market are manufactured at their plant in Warrensburg, MO

East Penn builds the Deka brand at their plant and global HQ in Lyons Station PA. It's a huge facility, I got lost there once, heres a pic of it.

facilities_big

MK batteries, the owners of WestCo is a wholly owned subsidiary of East Penn, the manufactures of Deka. The batteries that MK makes are quite good, but WestCo is the cheap side of East Penn's offerings and often made by the lowest bidder which is usually Excide, built in the USA but owned by Yuasa of Japan Excide is the BMW oe R1200 GS battery thats functioned poorly.

A lot can be told about a battery simply by it's posts. If they are hollow and kind of blooby looking they are cast. Cast posts are cheap to make but not ideal because they have micro voids that allow gasses to escape, batteries to dry out a little quicker, and promote corrosion.

Check out this picture

etx14main

See the posts on the ETX 14, they are forged. Forging are the mark of a good battery post because they leave no micro fissures to leak gasses. Odyssey also forges their posts.

The ETX14 can be had for 70-75 dollars including shipping in the USA online and is drop in on the R1200GS/GSA.

Mods required to fit the slightly superior Odyssey depends on the year and seat of the R1200GS/GSA. Other then the posts, the PC 680 is drop in on the 1150 and 1100, but the terminals need to be adapted and end up VERY close to the fuel tank.

What kind of bike are we talking about? The 1100 and 1150 take different batteries then the 1200.

If it's an 1100 or 1150, go with the PC680 but watch out where the terminals nearly touch the tank. The ETX14 wouldn't fit that application. If you own a 12, the ETX 14 is drop in, and the 680 wouldn't fit, or if somehow it will, it's news to me. The PC535 will fit in a 12, but depending on which seat, modding of the seat may be required.
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.

JoelWisman screwed with this post 02-19-2012 at 10:11 PM
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:25 AM   #12
MarkKowald
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Best Battery

Deka ETX14
MarkKowald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:30 AM   #13
Paul Mihalka
Old Fart

Oddometer: 877
Note on the DEKA ETX14: That battery is common in many Harley Davidson bikes, so in a emergency you know where to find one.
Paul Mihalka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:13 AM   #14
qman8
GS09

Oddometer: 519
Anyone using the Shorai or other Lithium based batteries with success??? Looks good on paper, and the weight savings is close to 10 pounds!
qman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:36 AM   #15
Dan Căta
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,639
The more money you spend on it, the better the battery is and it lasts longer. Exide BMW here, says on it not to be mounted after 07/2007 and still works like a charm.

Dan.
Dan Căta is offline   Reply With Quote