User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2012, 01:22 AM   #91
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,735

Oh. I might have meant Amsoil.

Either way I think they're missing out on selling some batteries.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:46 AM   #92
fivetimeson129 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
poolside, now when the mutant topics start this senior citizen -really- learns some stuff. Speaking of Amsoil, I do not work for or benefit in any way from OTHERS selling the stuff (I do benefit from myself using the stuff) I can only offer this observation; we have a number of diesel vehicles a few of the Ford 6.0 Power Strokes and Amsoil is the ONLY lube that manages to stay inside the engine for any length of time AND Amsoil is the only lube that comes back from the single lab we trust in the US with no indication of the oil having sheared to any significant extent and this is having had to sustain the very complicated heui injection- believe me there was never a more vocal ignorant critic of Amsoil than myself, for fourty years or so I would only call it Scamsoil...

However in the interest of full disclosure while I have tried Amsoil in the bike we do usually use the BMW branded juice or Spectro, which I am certain is held in equally high esteem by yourself, as no difference was observed between the Amsoil product and any other, but I also have to note to all that I have never had a uoa done with the bike and I do change oil very often...

What does confuse me about the Shoria product is why anyone would purchase a battery that will drop virtually all the voltage potential until the cells warm up or wake up, as Shoria appears to acknowledge is an operating characterisic of their product.

Is is reasonable to presume that all of the current-yuk, yuk,-litium products function in a similar fashion? and if the mega dollar ones do not just what do they do differently?
fivetimeson129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 04:31 PM   #93
Poolside
Syndicated

Belief systems are very effective.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Old 03-18-2012, 04:36 PM   #94
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,446
i've had amazing service from deka agm batteries, especially for the price.
this is has the best price. not sure what size you guys need.
http://www.tristatebattery.com/produ...roducts_id=973
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Labor Day Sale: $10/map (6-10 maps) + free case
http://www.butlermaps.com/6for60
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:13 PM   #95
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
Dito on both the last LOL. I cant do Amsoil for the same reason I don't answer the door for johovas whitenesses, and Deka makes the best high quality battery, bang for buck, but folks on this thread need a way bigger battery then the scooter sized one in that post LOL.

P.S. if your a brand loyalist to MK's Westco batteries, that's fine, East Penn Deka owns and makes them too :)
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:10 PM   #96
Poolside
Syndicated

From another perspective, the problem isn't the battery. What things cause/create the voltage drop? That's the problem.

One example. The capacity of a lead-acid battery sized for the R bike is just barely adequate to do the job of starting the motor. And that was not a comment about lead-acid vs. lithium battery chemistry.

Old 03-18-2012, 06:56 PM   #97
rogernm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivetimeson129 View Post

What does confuse me about the Shoria product is why anyone would purchase a battery that will drop virtually all the voltage potential until the cells warm up or wake up, as Shoria appears to acknowledge is an operating characterisic of their product.

In May 2011, I put a Shorai LFX18A1 in my 12GS and a LFX18A1 in my F650. The 12GS has been ridden almost daily (even through the winter) and the F650 gets ridden probably once a week or so by the wife.

Neither battery has ever had a charger on it nor has either bike ever failed to start.

It has to be said that the Li battery operates differently than the previously installed lead acid battery and it can be disconcerting at first. If you can’t get past that you will not be happy with a Li battery.

So far I’m happy with the Li battery, but of course after only 10 months the jury is still out.

rogernm screwed with this post 03-18-2012 at 09:08 PM
rogernm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:47 PM   #98
fivetimeson129 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

poolside et al, yes belief systems based on facts are very effective indeed.

Dropping that much voltage has got to be damaging to the bike, I gotta know whether or not this situation is 'normal' for this technology.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:01 PM   #99
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Dropping that much voltage has got to be damaging to the bike, I gotta know whether or not this situation is 'normal' for this technology.
When cold, LiFePo4 batteries drop a lot of voltage until they internally warm.

Here is a video of voltage drop in warm weather.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...P2ZGLY69bavhbA
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
Old 03-20-2012, 03:41 AM   #100
bracky72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 905
I'm using a 12 cell ballistic battery in my gsa. Far more cranking power then the oem battery and about 10 pounds lighter.

I knew A123 cells were right for me after several times this past winter my bike wouldn't turn over with the stock battery and I was able to start it with one of my r/c airplane A123 packs. I finally dumped the stock battery and put in a proper motorcycle A123 pack. So far so good. :)

bracky72 screwed with this post 03-20-2012 at 04:06 AM
bracky72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:01 AM   #101
Poolside
Syndicated

Quote:

This is definitely an oil thread.

Another way to look at it is, the bike damages the battery, not the other way round.

Output from a cold battery, any cold battery, is lower. It's an electrochemical device after all. Higher temperature produces more chemical activity just like washing your hands in warm water works better than cold. Some battery chemistries are more affected by temperature than others.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:44 AM   #102
fivetimeson129 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

poolside, all batteries will have a vd of nearly 75% on a 'cold soaked' engine in the mid 30* F ??

Joel, tnks, this morning-about 47*F, I had a drop of about 2 1/2 volts, seem about right for a conventional agm (PC680) ?
Old 03-20-2012, 08:20 AM   #103
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
poolside, all batteries will have a vd of nearly 75% on a 'cold soaked' engine in the mid 30* F ??

Joel, tnks, this morning-about 47*F, I had a drop of about 2 1/2 volts, seem about right for a conventional agm (PC680) ?
Depends on the load, but if the load is an ancient technology solenoid engaged, series wound, NON gear reduction starter driving a 1200 cc boxer, yeah it is pretty darn good.

The newest GS disconnect the starter when voltage drops below 8.9 volts for 500 consecutive mS, or 7.6 volts pretty instantly. I think thats a good benchmark for the older 1150 as well.

Assuming the 680 was fully charged, that means it went from about 12.8 to 10.3 volts. Thats very good cranking voltage on 1150 or 1200cc boxers which really are pigs for a battery to crank.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:46 AM   #104
fivetimeson129 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

tnks again
Old 03-24-2012, 06:04 AM   #105
Railbender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,016
Question

What are the battery options for the 1100/1150, besides the Odyssey PC680 and Westco? Deka lists their 51913 for that application, however if the listed dimensions are correct it won't fit.

Railbender screwed with this post 03-26-2012 at 12:27 PM
Railbender is offline   Reply With Quote