Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2012, 07:49 AM   #1
Ducati7444 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Question Why I choose the Yamaha S10?

Good morning,

I did use this forum (and other forum) to collect as many informations as possible to help me choosing my new bike. Then in return, here is what kind of Thinking bring me to the S10. This is my personal opinions and I certainly do not want to start a war on which bike or dealer is better. This reflect only my opinion.

I’m ridding motorcycles since 30 years; do not mean that I’m an experienced motorcyclist, just a lucky one.

My last motorcycle was a Kawasaki ZX14R that I bought new in 2006, when it was released in the USA. This bike is amazing, great sport touring bike, ton of power, great handling, confortable (for that kind of motorcycle) and true ticket magnet.
With her, I went to Canada, and almost all states east of Mississippi.

My problem with that bike was that I could not ride at speed limit, totally impossible. Then, I choose not to subscribe to a new life insurance but to replace her by a motorcycle that will not be constantly like Usian Bolt.

I certainly did not want a bagger or a cruiser either. The natural choice was to go to an “adventure bike” but I don’t like that cliché.

It took me months before deciding which motorcycles I wanted. The choices were between the traditional contenders: BMW GS, KTM Adventure, Triumph 800Xc and Yamaha Super Tenere.

Instead to tell you why I did choose the S10, I will tell what in my personal opinion is a short fall from other contenders.

BMW 1200 GS:

1. Price tag. I can put lot of miles for $8,000 difference with the Yamaha S10.
2. Dealer way to snobby. I show up many time in a old Nissan Frontier from 19996, and they do not said even hello when you pass the door.
3. Dealer does not negotiate the MSRP price. My ego love when I can say: Yes, I did negotiate well and had a great (or not so great) deal.
4. All Torx hardware, if you buy a bike labeled Adventure, it should be fixable in the middle of nowhere. Try to find Torx tools even in middle of Arkansas….
5. Quality issues, especially with rear shock having the seal blowing up. Check GS forum and you will realize that as soon as the guy takes his GS on rough road, issues arise.
6. And at least, I never like following the crow and do same as most people do.

KTM Adventure:

1. This is a beautiful bike and it was a close call.
2. Fuel consumption. This bike has the best engine, but because it has the best engine, it has the poorest MPG.
3. Services interval and cost related.
4. No drive shaft.
5. Not a defect for me, but oriented too much to off road.
6. The dealer was great and very knowledgeable.

Triumph 800Xc.

1. Unfortunately, it was the same dealer that for the BMW GS and as soon as I move my interest from the GS1200 to the XC, the sales guy walk away and did not even answers my questions. I assume he was selling BMW only and the guy for Triumph was having breakfast somewhere.
2. Fuel range too small.
3. Fuel consumption
4. Need new seat immediately.
5. No drive shaft.
6. MSRP close to the Yamaha S10 for a smaller bike.
7. Beside that, it is a great bike

Why I did choose the Yamaha Super Tenere?

1. The dealer went straight to the invoice price.
2. Trade in my bike 1K higher that Blue book.
3. Very confortable and no need to replace seat or windshield or what so ever….
4. 40 Mpg, this is always my mark.
5. ABS working extremely well, I did test it yesterday going down hill on gravel road and grab hard the brake and stopped very well.
6. Traction control. Works very well too.
7. Drive shaft.
8. 26,000 miles main service interval, and easy enough for me to do it.
9. The Yamaha super Tenere is there since 30 years now. Not in USA but in Europe.
10. Lot of accessories available from Europe at reasonable price. (Ps: I have way to bring parts from Europe with no additional shipping costs)
11. And it is a choice by heart because my first bike was a Yamaha XV750 and I went all over Europe with never any issues.

The engine is a little lazy, but it is ok with me, remember, my previous bike had double the cylinder and almost double the HP…. then it is hard to be honest on this aspect. The S10 handle great and I surprise myself ridding my favorites twisty roads at same speed as with my ZX14R. I just discovered yesterday that the ground clearance on the S10 is not as huge as we can think when looking at the bike, and I scrapped the tip of my boots in tight turns…the difference off course is on the interstate.
Ducati7444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:01 AM   #2
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati7444 View Post
Good morning,

I did use this forum (and other forum) to collect as many informations as possible to help me choosing my new bike. Then in return, here is what kind of Thinking bring me to the S10. This is my personal opinions and I certainly do not want to start a war on which bike or dealer is better. This reflect only my opinion.
Congratulations on the purchase! It takes 1500 miles or so to actually break in and just gets better.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:10 AM   #3
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,321
If 40 mpg is your minimum for fuel consumption why did you knock the XC for fuel consumption? Why would you think mpg would be <40mpg with the XC.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:20 AM   #4
Wantajustride
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Duc,

Funny how the world turns. Everything you said was true for me too. Those were the same reasons and experiences I had when I chose to buy my Tenere. I was also looking at the same machines as you.
I have no regrets with my choice. When I was at the bike shop yesterday a couple guys commented on how nice the Yamaha looked. (I have it well kitted now) and were interested in how well I liked it. Too which my answer was "A Lot".

WJR
"Walking thru life to an unknown destination and trying to enjoy the adventure getting there"
Wantajustride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:26 AM   #5
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,848
So what gas mileage do you get if you really really try. I am interested. Not ready to buy because I bought a DL650 2-1/2 years ago but interested. I put 106 miles on a '83 Seca 900. I would have bought a S10 if it had been out in the US. The DL650 is great it just needs more ground clearance.

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:47 AM   #6
2tallnwide
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,352
Congrats on the new ST....

In '05 when I was shopping for a new Adventure Touring bike Yamaha didn't have anything to pick from unfortunately. I shopped pretty hard, and ended up buying a R1200GS BMW. Fortunately I didn't have any of the issues you mentioned. I put over 30,000 overloaded miles on it, many like the video in my sig line with nary a problem. Absolutely the best bike I have owned, and wouldn't hesitate to own another one in the future....except...

...the closest BMW dealer to me now is over three hours away, so the GS will have to be a lot better than the ST, or possibly the new shaft driven Tiger, and who knows what else by the time I'm ready to spend that kind of money for another bike to get my business again....

Oh...I averaged 44mpg with the GS, 40 was worst, 47mpg best...YMMV....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBkh6lrOfT4

2tallnwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:55 AM   #7
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
If 40 mpg is your minimum for fuel consumption why did you knock the XC for fuel consumption? Why would you think mpg would be <40mpg with the XC.

I believe the fuel tank is toooooo small. No seriously.

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:14 AM   #8
Ducati7444 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
I get 41mpg right now. I will keep records for the first 5,000 miles and post later what it will be.
for the XC800, it is interesting to know the difference between Imperial and US MPG. In imperial, the XC report 43Mpg, that is arround 35Mpg US. Some report more than 43Mpg on English forum, but it is Imperial MPG.
A month ago, I went a last time to the BMW/Triumph dealer and I was ready to buy the XC800, but after looking at bikes for 15min and no serious consideration from the sales guy, I left....I was ready to give up the forget the MPG question because this bike is beautiful and the engine is great.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:19 AM   #9
Ducati7444 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tallnwide View Post
Congrats on the new ST....

In '05 when I was shopping for a new Adventure Touring bike Yamaha didn't have anything to pick from unfortunately. I shopped pretty hard, and ended up buying a R1200GS BMW. Fortunately I didn't have any of the issues you mentioned. I put over 30,000 overloaded miles on it, many like the video in my sig line with nary a problem. Absolutely the best bike I have owned, and wouldn't hesitate to own another one in the future....except...

...the closest BMW dealer to me now is over three hours away, so the GS will have to be a lot better than the ST, or possibly the new shaft driven Tiger, and who knows what else by the time I'm ready to spend that kind of money for another bike to get my business again....

Oh...I averaged 44mpg with the GS, 40 was worst, 47mpg best...YMMV....
Ahhhh, an other happy GS owner. And i have to agree, the GS is a wonderful bike. No question why it is the best selling Adventure bike. If price was not an issue (I like to pay my toys cash) and the dealer no so snobby, it would have been a close call with the S10. The fact is that it took me months to decide because all bikes are so close to each other and it comes down to personals preferences. That why I edited a spec sheet back in my head and try to stick on it to decide which bike I want/need.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:43 AM   #10
maraisrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
I find your dealer problems interesting. I have even more trouble as my local dealer is BMW, Triumph,Yamaha and Ducati.
They won't even bring in an S10! They do push the BMW's but will work with you on a Triumph. Don't get me wrong, they are a good dealership with good mechanics. It's just hard to shop and get competitive prices when everything is in one shop.
Throw in the fact that I live similar distances from US dealerships as Canadian (Manitoba/ND). Prices are considerably cheaper down there and I can't buy there so frustration sets in!
2013 Arctic Cat XF800 (6 months of winter)
maraisrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:06 AM   #11
Ducati7444 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maraisrider View Post
I find your dealer problems interesting. I have even more trouble as my local dealer is BMW, Triumph,Yamaha and Ducati.
They won't even bring in an S10! They do push the BMW's but will work with you on a Triumph. Don't get me wrong, they are a good dealership with good mechanics. It's just hard to shop and get competitive prices when everything is in one shop.
Throw in the fact that I live similar distances from US dealerships as Canadian (Manitoba/ND). Prices are considerably cheaper down there and I can't buy there so frustration sets in!
My luck is that I have 3 Yamaha dealerships in equal distance and that 2 had a S10 on the floor. They know that and I took the best offer I could squeeze out of one dealer and bring it to the other one. Then if he did want to sell his S10 he had to do better. If he did not wants to give a better deal, I could always go back to the first dealer. That is impossible to do with BMW/Triumph dealership. I think they must have strong guide lines to go by and do not compete against each others.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:06 AM   #12
2tallnwide
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,352
Quote:
Ahhhh, an other happy GS owner. And i have to agree, the GS is a wonderful bike. No question why it is the best selling Adventure bike. If price was not an issue (I like to pay my toys cash) and the dealer no so snobby, it would have been a close call with the S10. The fact is that it took me months to decide because all bikes are so close to each other and it comes down to personals preferences. That why I edited a spec sheet back in my head and try to stick on it to decide which bike I want/need.
Wish I still had my GS, had to sell it in '09...long story, won't bore you...

I paid $15,100 OTD for mine ( added $2K worth of tank bag & all three Vario cases later) Just curious bout the $8K difference figure you posted....

Either you got a really exceptional deal, GS's are a lot more expensive than they used to be, or you suck at math...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBkh6lrOfT4

2tallnwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:39 AM   #13
Ducati7444 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tallnwide View Post
Wish I still had my GS, had to sell it in '09...long story, won't bore you...

I paid $15,100 OTD for mine ( added $2K worth of tank bag & all three Vario cases later) Just curious bout the $8K difference figure you posted....

Either you got a really exceptional deal, GS's are a lot more expensive than they used to be, or you suck at math...
The BMW dealer offered a 1200GS, with spoke wheels, and I thinks premium package (ABS, EAS.....) for $19,335 MSRP + taxes, handling fees and any others fees they can squeeze in....I had the S10 for $11,800 out the door, plus the 1K over the blue book for my ZX14R, (they gave me 5K), BMW dealer said it never give more than Blue Book and even that most of the time they recommend to sell my bike myself....the difference between Yamaha and BMW dealer is that
yamaha did want to sell the S10 they had in stock. I also purchased the S10 on 01/28/2012....always better to buy vehicle at the end of the month, dealer is even more willing to see it go.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:49 AM   #14
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,914
Quote:
The BMW dealer offered a 1200GS, with spoke wheels, and I thinks premium package (ABS, EAS.....) for $19,335 MSRP + taxes, handling fees and any others fees they can squeeze in....I had the S10 for $11,800 out the door, plus the 1K over the blue book for my ZX14R, (they gave me 5K), BMW dealer said it never give more than Blue Book and even that most of the time they recommend to sell my bike myself....the difference between Yamaha and BMW dealer is that
yamaha did want to sell the S10 they had in stock. I also purchased the S10 on 01/28/2012....always better to buy vehicle at the end of the month, dealer is even more willing to see it go.

$11,800 out the door?? Where did you buy it?
Old 02-19-2012, 11:59 AM   #15
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,120
Quote:
I get 41mpg right now. I will keep records for the first 5,000 miles and post later what it will be.
for the XC800, it is interesting to know the difference between Imperial and US MPG. In imperial, the XC report 43Mpg, that is arround 35Mpg US. Some report more than 43Mpg on English forum, but it is Imperial MPG.
A month ago, I went a last time to the BMW/Triumph dealer and I was ready to buy the XC800, but after looking at bikes for 15min and no serious consideration from the sales guy, I left....I was ready to give up the forget the MPG question because this bike is beautiful and the engine is great.
My 800XC with Arrow pipe/tune gets 35-36 mpg(US), ran out of gas once at 178 miles. The S10 seem to be getting 42-44 mpg. . Luv that triple motor and the road handling of the 800XC is terrific, no chicken strips here!!

Initially I was a bit disappointed with the S10 Twin but now with 2400 miles on it seems to have wakened up.

Regards, Paul