ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2012, 01:41 AM   #46
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadscum View Post
My 800XC with Arrow pipe/tune gets 35-36 mpg(US), ran out of gas once at 178 miles. The S10 seem to be getting 42-44 mpg. . Luv that triple motor and the road handling of the 800XC is terrific, no chicken strips here!!

Initially I was a bit disappointed with the S10 Twin but now with 2400 miles on it seems to have wakened up.

Regards, Paul
Psssst! ecuunleashed website > authorized tuning centers (click!) Find the one near you, get'er flashed and RRRIP! away you go!

Standard disclamer..I'm not afililiated with the above company in any way.

It'll never sound like a triple though, and the power peaks at lower RPM...obviously.

tremor38 screwed with this post 02-24-2012 at 01:50 AM
tremor38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 03:42 PM   #47
docgonzo
Old Gadfly

Oddometer: 13,544
What about a used GS?

The Super Tenere (sorry, don't know how to make those little accents!) is a beautiful street bike, and will make most "ADV" riders happy, since most stay on the street and graded gravel 95% of the time. But some of us like to take our ADV bikes on more adventurous paths, and the 584 lbs. of the ST and exposed pipes on the bottom are a difficulty. My GS has always been "naked", weighing in at 505 lbs.

Here's my solution, which I got in 2002 for $11,500, since they were coming out with a new model. It came with heated grips, twin giant PIA lights, ABS, drive shaft, tubeless spoked wheels, range of 200 miles with the 5.2 gallon tank, and has been reliable for 112,000 miles, with minimal interval care. As most know, the valve jobs are pretty easy with the cylinders sticking out the sides. And no water pumps or radiators to worry about!

The bike has been ridden for 13 summers and winters in the North East, and the metal and electrical components are of such high quality that they have held up well to the road salt of the North East.

Since the bike wasn't even broken in till 20,000 miles, why don't more people just pick up a used 2002 for less then $7,000? They will get a very good adventure bike that will last at least another 80,000 miles. Seems a no-brainer to me!
Old 03-18-2015, 04:33 PM   #48
eemsreno
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 974
Maybe because we prefer bikes that are fun enough to ride that we actually ride them.
An 02 with only 112,000 miles must be a real bore to ride.

You need to start riding that thing.

eemsreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 04:54 PM   #49
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,513
My 02 GS on the way back from my first trip Alaska.

I did really love the bike though. Just went back to AK from Va. this summer on the Tenere. To be fair I broke some rear spokes on the Alcan and Dalton. Not a show stopper and easy enough to order and replace myself. When the FD went on the GS I was 100 miles from home on the return trip. Had it died in the Yukon or the Dalton I'd of been fooked.
B.E. Coyote is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 05:48 PM   #50
docgonzo
Old Gadfly

Oddometer: 13,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by eemsreno View Post
Maybe because we prefer bikes that are fun enough to ride that we actually ride them.
An 02 with only 112,000 miles must be a real bore to ride.
If you noticed what I said, the bike is always naked. Never had luggage. Not used for cross country trips to impress people with mileage. The bike is my local mule. I do long distance in airplanes!

Still on the 1st final drive, by the way..... When I replace it, it will be definitely be cheaper then chains and sprockets over those years. But you folks know that already.

Again, The Super Tenere is a great bike for long distance asphalt travel. And it is definitely prettier then my Big Yellow Pig!
Old 03-18-2015, 10:10 PM   #51
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,974
Joking right.

That old yellow banana boat wouldn't even get close enough to see my Tenere dust let alone stay ahead of it. Also willing to bet yours isn't much lighter than an S10 either. Just got off my pals 08 GSA and its a slug compared to my 2014 S10. And mine isn't reflashed.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 03:08 AM   #52
glenn2926
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
40 mpg

You guys over the pond do seem to be getting a lot less MPG than we on the UK side get. I have had my S10 a month and am getting in the region of 50 MPG. I realise our gallons are bigger but I think our miles are longer as well. So should be about the same. I am hoping mine will still improve on MPG as it only has 4000 miles on. I swapped my BMW R1200GS in for the S10 and so far am very happy with the change. Put a few farkles on to make it mine and now need to put some miles on it. Roll on summer.
glenn2926 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 03:18 AM   #53
BSTARD
Mmmmm...shiny

Oddometer: 329
It's OK Doc, we understand. This has to be a worst case of S10 envy to date. Why else would someone pull a three year old thread to show us some pic's of their BM?
Old 03-19-2015, 07:04 AM   #54
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.E. Coyote View Post
My 02 GS on the way back from my first trip Alaska.

I did really love the bike though. Just went back to AK from Va. this summer on the Tenere. To be fair I broke some rear spokes on the Alcan and Dalton. Not a show stopper and easy enough to order and replace myself. When the FD went on the GS I was 100 miles from home on the return trip. Had it died in the Yukon or the Dalton I'd of been fooked.
You take the whole "Bucket list" thing a little to literal.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 11:41 AM   #55
derekj
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
You take the whole "Bucket list" thing a little to literal.
Now that was worth the read ....