Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2012, 06:57 AM   #46
Kedgi OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastredbike View Post
+1 on the Barber museum! It might be a bit out of your way but so worth it when down that way.

I'd suggest you make a reservation in Key West if you plan to overnight there, I just rode into town and started looking - got the last room in town but it wasn't cheap. Also, watch your speeds in the Keys, the highway passes thu at least one preserve for miniature deer and the speeds are much reduced and enthusiastically enforced.

I'd be interested in hearing who you are using to transport the bikes stateside.

Thanks for the RR
Thank you for the tips

I am quite familiar with Key West my wife and I have been lucky enough to holiday there many times over the last ten years. Your point about the Overseas Highway is well taken. It is a dangerous road.

I'm not sure of the transport company name, one of the other guys organized it but I believe they are based out of Milwaukee.

Kedgi

Kedgi screwed with this post 03-10-2012 at 01:52 PM
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:59 AM   #47
zandesiro
In rust we trust....

Oddometer: 786
Nice ride!!!I'm in...
zandesiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:13 PM   #48
fabriktr
Build it if you can.

Oddometer: 17
Ferry info

Hi Kedgi,

That's good info in the Ferry to Newfoundland and the places to visit. Really looking forward to Gros Morne N.P. and the Cape Brenton Highlands.
fabriktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:45 PM   #49
BluNozr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 484
Trans Lab (1st Run)

Hey Kedgi. I was looking over your RR while having a few beers in Medellin. I recognized you and Iggy from the road back in early July and thought I would drop a line. Great to see you had a couple interesting rides.

I am on the return leg of my ride to Prudhoe Bay - Ushuaia and owe a ton to Iggy and some great advice he gave me on the road. He left me with some words to live by that I use daily. Ride fast and take chances.

Hope to see you on the road in the Maritimes this summer. I'll be coming through southern NB in mid June.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:37 AM   #50
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluNozr View Post
Hey Kedgi. I was looking over your RR while having a few beers in Medellin. I recognized you and Iggy from the road back in early July and thought I would drop a line. Great to see you had a couple interesting rides.

I am on the return leg of my ride to Prudhoe Bay - Ushuaia and owe a ton to Iggy and some great advice he gave me on the road. He left me with some words to live by that I use daily. Ride fast and take chances.

Hope to see you on the road in the Maritimes this summer. I'll be coming through southern NB in mid June.
Hi Len

I remember meeting you on my way to Churchill Falls when I was having the toughest day of my two trips across Labrador.

That's an awesome ride you're on.

My son Bryn and I have plans to leave here in October on a trip to South America.

I'd love to hear all about your trip on your return

I'm in Shediac, PM me anytime you're going to be in the area.We can give you a place to stay.

Kedgi

(Dwight)
Old 03-11-2012, 06:07 AM   #51
HellCat650
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
That was a fantastic RR!
Very well done.

Your second trip is almost a mirror of what we have planned for August.

Did the ferry supply straps for your bikes or did you bring your own?

Matt
Old 03-11-2012, 06:25 AM   #52
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellCat650 View Post
That was a fantastic RR!
Very well done.

Your second trip is almost a mirror of what we have planned for August.

Did the ferry supply straps for your bikes or did you bring your own?

Matt
Thanks it's nice to hear from all the readers who enjoyed the report.

Tom and I both had a set of tie downs with us, Our thinking was that if you had some sort of major bike problem in the middle of nowhere a set of tie downs would help a passing pickup truck rescue you. The ferries all have tie downs though, they are the large variety they use to tie down cars and trucks with on really rough crossings.

Kedgi
Old 03-11-2012, 07:24 AM   #53
HellCat650
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Good to hear about the straps.

I don't suppose your KLR was the Aviciouscycle demo bike was it?

BTW, I'm jealous of your trip down to Florida....that is another one I'm hoping to do some day.
The Barber museum would be amazing to see...along with the Keys.

Matt
Old 03-11-2012, 07:53 AM   #54
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellCat650 View Post
Good to hear about the straps.

I don't suppose your KLR was the Aviciouscycle demo bike was it?

BTW, I'm jealous of your trip down to Florida....that is another one I'm hoping to do some day.
The Barber museum would be amazing to see...along with the Keys.

Matt
It was a demo from A Vicious Cycle. It was three years old when I bought it and had 3 kms on it. Not 3000 just 3. It had a lot of gear on it, bags, skid plates bark busters etc. So far it has worked flawlessly, knock on wood.

The Keys are great. I've traveled there many times. We have been made to feel very welcome by locals in Key West to the point that they say "Welcome Home" whenever we arrive. It's great to have made so many good friends down there over the years.

Kedgi
Old 03-11-2012, 08:38 PM   #55
Clipper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Laugh

Great ride report and pretty funny when you mentioned Jim and Ken!

Ken was my neighbor for a number of years and Jim was a friend of another neighbor in a different subdivision,

I was talking to them before they started the trip. Ken had ridden a Goldwing for a few years so I was surprised he went the dual purpose route.

Its a small world here on the Rock!

Cheers
Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:47 AM   #56
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
Great ride report and pretty funny when you mentioned Jim and Ken!

Ken was my neighbor for a number of years and Jim was a friend of another neighbor in a different subdivision,

I was talking to them before they started the trip. Ken had ridden a Goldwing for a few years so I was surprised he went the dual purpose route.

Its a small world here on the Rock!

Cheers
It is a small world. Ken and Jim are great guys. I was lucky to meet them.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:48 AM   #57
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post
Thanks very much!

We are having a planning meeting at the house today for a trip to Florida. We are going to truck the bikes to Miami then fly down and ride back to New Brunswick in May. The plan includes a ride to Key West, then a trip up the West Coast of FL to Panama City Beach, then possibly visit Talledega just to see the track and then a ride to Deals Gap to do the Parkway before riding in the Green and White mountains on the way home.

Trucking the bikes is a necessity due to snow. here is a look at my street this week.

I laugh at the Canadian and American National News stories this year that ask where is Winter? It's in Shediac, NB.
We had some difficulty planning our Florida Trip. We had a bike dealership in Miami that had origianlly agreed to receive and store our bikes, back out at the last minute, we've got all that sorted now and will be shipping 4 bikes to Miami with HAULBIKES

1-888-Haul-Bikes www.haulbikes.com

They specialize in motorcycle transport.

Another Miami area dealership has agreed to receive our bikes and store them for us until we fly down and pick them up on May 10th

The plan is to ride to Key West, spend one night and then head north. Our route will take us up the west coast of Florida to Tallahassee then on to the Birmingham, AL area to see the track at Talladega and the Barber Motorcycle Museum and then we will ride west of Atlanta to pick up the Blueridge Parkway and the Shenandoah Parkway. We will then make our way towards Scranton PA then through Vermont's Green Mountains and through New Hampshire's White Mountains to Maine and then home to NB. The plan is to avoid interstates as much as possible and ride about 500kms or 300 miles per day.

HAULBIKES does not come to Canada so we have to get our bikes to Calais Maine to meet the truck in early April. The weather here has been warming up nicely and we should be able to ride to Calais, which will be much easier than trailering bikes down.

I'll keep you updated as the trip progresses.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:06 AM   #58
Kedgi OP
Banned

Talking Getting ready for Florida

We had some unbelievably warm weather last week, nearly 30C or 90F, which is unheard of in New Brunswick in March. It only lasted three days but I took full advantage with three day trips, one up to Cambridge Narrows, NB on the St. John River one day, another along the shore from Shediac up to Cap Lumiere, NB and a third day I rode over to Amherst, NS to go to Duguay's Kawasaki and have some service done to my bike in preparation for the upcoming Florida trip.

Duguays installed a new Mefo tire on the rear for me (my last Mefo had 11000kms on it including twice across Labrador and it still had some wear left in it, maybe a couple thousand k, but not enough to ride from South Florida to New Brunswick), changed the oil, and I had some heated handgrips installed, which may come in handy on the Blue Ridge Parkway, but will certainly come in handy around here lots of days.

Here is Jody at Duguays working on the bike.

There are four of us going on the Florida trip. We've signed our contract with Haulbikes and they will give us three days notice of when we have to have the bikes in Calais Maine, which should be very soon, to meet the truck.

There are two or possibly three other guys that are going to leave here on the day we fly to Miami, with the plan to ride south and meet up with us at Deal's Gap and then ride back to Canada with us.

That warm weather we had sure got rid of a lot of snow. Calais is a three hour ride from here. At night we still get well below freezing but with some luck, if we get a nice day we'll be able to ride to meet the truck rather than trailer the bikes to Maine.

Our airline tickets are bought for May 10th and Haulbikes promises to have the bikes in Miami for our arrival.

I'll be starting a new Ride Report for the trip and I'll be sure to provide a link to it here.

Stay tuned.....
Old 04-09-2012, 05:03 AM   #59
Kedgi OP
Banned

Key West Florida to Shediac NB avoiding the slab

Here is a link to my next ride report,

Key West Florida to Shediac, NB, Avoiding the slab

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...5#post18412465
Old 05-13-2012, 06:30 AM   #60