Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2012, 03:58 AM   #136
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
That looks great on the DRZ.

I'm curious about wind protection and buffeting/turbulence on the road - any experience yet?

I had the pleasure of riding the Husky with the prototype fairing (see page 1) and I can honestly say that this thing is a jewel. Even at 65+ mph there is almost zero wind pressure on your chest and head and because of the unique shape there is no buffeting at those same speeds. Once this is available for purchase, anyone that gets one will not be disappointed.

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:22 PM   #137
harcus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,306
Update The Fairing is going Live!

It is encouraging to see the interest in this product. The development of this item has been a 6 month effort of myself, Harcus (Jim) at Real Tyme Engineering (our products are sold thru Globetrottin.com) and Sanjoh (John) at AdvMonster.com.

It will be available on both sites, Globetrottin.com and Advmonster.com by next week, 18 June 2012.

In this thread I will explain some of the details of the product & how it came about. We also solicit your feed back so don't hesitate to comment, good or bad.

Background
The development of this product was a joint effort of each of our companies combining the primary attributes of each. AdvMonster is known for have very high output, high quality LED lighting systems at the lowest prices. Real Tyme Engineering has developed many creative products using composites & metals such as the KTM EXC composite skid plate & luggage rack. It only made sense to leverage our knowledge base to develop a low cost “state of the art” dual sport LED fairing available. Hopefully we have hit the target!

The Fairing
Let's look at the fairing.

The fairing was designed to increase the wind protection on your bike so that riding at highway speeds would be a joy not an endurance contest while still being low enough that it is not obtrusive when on the trail. It extends above the typical triple clamp approximately 8 inches / 200 mm. This height successfully removes the wind load from your chest & helmet goggles / face shield and yet, when on the trail, you never feel that it is 'in your face”.

Much testing was done to achieve this happy medium...

I know, it is rough duty but...

The fairing is available in either a black or white get coat finish. Here it is in white on a KTM 500 EXC...

And in black...

The fairing supports up to two high lumen output LED lights. The rider can choose how much light they want from a single 1500 lumen light all the way up to two 3600 lumen lights for a total of 7200 lumens to really “light up the night”! An optional dimmer will be provide the ability to decrease the light output on one light while shutting off the other light much like the low beam / high beam on an auto.

The lights are fully adjustable from side to side and up / down to allow the operator to focus the light where needed & not into the oncoming traffic. Please note that these are NOT DOT approved lights so it is your responsibility to be safe & not blind the other drivers / riders.

You can see the (3) light tilting screws in this view of the fairing...

Let's take a look inside the fairing. The fairing is made of high strength fiberglass so that it will…

be stiff enough to maintain light alignment & not deflect under wind loads
flexible enough to not crack if you happen to crash
maintain a good appearance even after a mishap
be paintable to any color combination you like

It is supported on two stainless steel “mask brackets”. As an aside, all the hardware & materials used on this product were selected to survive the harsh environments that we adventure riders demand.

The mask brackets can be seen in this view...

Each mask bracket attaches to the fairing at three points. The purpose of the brackets is to adapt the compound contours of the fairing to simple interface points that can attach to any bike.

Here you can see the line of 6mm diameter holes in the aft edge of the bracket as well as the two holes in the lower surface of the fairing. The 6 mm holes allow attachment of the fairing directly to the OEM brackets on a bike (if available) such as this Suzuki DR350 …

or to fork brackets that attach to the fork tubes suck as this KTM EXC...

The mask brackets are attached to the fairing using 5 mm screws & locknuts with rubber isolation washers to improve compliance between the metal brackets & composite fairing as is seen here...

The fairing package will come as a kit …

The kit only requires two tools, a 10 mm wrench & a 3 mm hex (allen) to assemble...

Each LED light is mounted into the fairing using a stainless “full circle” mount clamp around light for rigidity. Three threaded tabs on the mount the fit to the (3) screws noted previously using rubber “springs” to allow adjustment. Here you can see the light mounted in the fairing...

The dimmer module is mounted in the lower “chin” area of the fairing. It plugs directly to the lights with mating connectors...

The dimmer can plug directly into common connectors such as the KTM / Huseburg style...

or the common H4 (3) blade style common on older incandescent systems...

If you want to use the area behind the fairing for electrical connections such as heated grips a n electrical interface plate will be available that will attach to holes in the mask brackets...

Mounting Options

As previously noted, the fairing can be mounted to bike using OEM brackets on the forks or with the available fork brackets.

1. OEM

You may choose to mount the fairing using the existing OEM brackets. Here are the OEM Suzuki light brackets...

You can see that with a little effort in drilling a new hole or two you can connect the mask bracket holes to the OEM brackets.

2. Our Fork Brackets

The fork brackets attach to the 6 mm hole line noted previously. The bracket can be seen here installed …

The brackets are made of stainless & have neoprene pad to prevent chafing the fork tubes...

They come an an optional kit of two ...

Depending on your application, you may need one kit or two. As an example, a KTM typically has (2) vertical pins on the front fender. These align with the holes in the bottom surface of the fairing...

so than now, all you need is a pair of fork brackets at the top of the fairing brackets to support the upper end...

To install the fairing, you simply set the fairing over the fender pins & rotate the fairing back to the fork tubes. Two holes are provided in each fork bracket to allow you to tilt the fairing to the desired angle. Also, the fork brackets can be positioned at different heights on the mask bracket to clear ignition switches, etc, as needed.

The strap is then installed and the end tucked into the bracket...

If you bike has no fender pins, the fairing can be installed using (4) fork brackets.

Hopefully this help you see how our new Dual Sport LED Fairing is built and how it may be useful to you.

Let us know how we can help.

Again, for purchase, go to....

advmonster.com

globetrottin.com

Current rides - '14 KTM 1190 R Adv <2k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga

harcus screwed with this post 06-21-2012 at 01:06 PM
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:31 PM   #138
BigJohn_LP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Wink DR650 Guinea Pig?

I would like to formally offer my DR650 to use as a test bike. Thank you for your consideration. I'm 6' - 300lb, so I could definitively "weigh" in on rider wind protection for big guys...
Old 06-15-2012, 04:17 AM   #139
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
That looks great on the DRZ.

I'm curious about wind protection and buffeting/turbulence on the road - any experience yet?
Have several hundred miles of use on the road. It works well, have not experienced any turbulence. You don't really notice it being there until you take it off. The airflow coming off the fairing is very clean. There is some space around the lights that lets air through, reducing the formation of low pressure behind the fairing.

It is a gear saver during the love bug season in Florida

Got caught in the rain with goggles and can say that in a tuck it will keep the rain from peeling your skin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn_LP View Post
I would like to formally offer my DR650 to use as a test bike. Thank you for your consideration. I'm 6' - 300lb, so I could definitively "weigh" in on rider wind protection for big guys...
You have my phone number, give me call. Perhaps you can come up? I'll install it for you.
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:47 PM   #140
harcus
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerWolf View Post
Hmmmmm....that is definitely UP THERE on the neat scale

GREAT Job ya'll

Hey Sanjoh, Does this fit on the ADVENTURE NINJA Bikes by any chance??

I have to get my Arizona Salvage bike past a DMV inspection to get a REBUILT Title,
so everything has gotta be DOT at that point.

BUT after I get the paper, maybe I might not hook up that special frame and Buell Headlight
at all and just use this instead.

HappyRiding !!
beemer
Should fit anything with forks!

Current rides - '14 KTM 1190 R Adv <2k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga
Old 06-16-2012, 02:06 AM   #141
rockydog
just a guy

Oddometer: 799
looking good gentlemen. What are the dimensions H & W and the distance between the fork tube mounts?

Be interested when you have the final pricing and options sorted out on your websites...thx

Rockydog woofs the Isles, British Isles

rockydog screwed with this post 06-16-2012 at 03:14 AM
rockydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:05 AM   #142
harcus
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockydog View Post
looking good gentlemen. What are the dimensions H & W and the distance between the fork tube mounts?

Be interested when you have the final pricing and options sorted out on your websites...thx
The fairing is approx 20 inches hi x 14 inches wide. The for tube spacing makes no difference. The spacing on most bikes is well within the range of the brackets. Well, we haven't tried it on a Harley yet but, maybe...

Old 06-16-2012, 08:42 PM   #143
Heptad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Looks great!

Looks really nice. I would be interested in one for my 690.
Heptad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 01:51 PM   #144
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK

Oddometer: 10,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heptad View Post
Looks really nice. I would be interested in one for my 690.
I might know where a FF could get a bike to fit one up on too
Originally Posted by Mugwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail
You shoulda told me to do this a long time ago
My bad
Buzztail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:57 AM   #145
Aarono2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
So, can we buy these now?
Cheers
Aarono2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:31 AM   #146
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarono2 View Post
Cheers
Yep, send me an email with your desired options, I'll reply with pricing.

Color
1) Black
2) White
Lights
1) Model 30, 44 or 60 Lower
2) Model 30, 44 or 60 Upper
Controller
1) None (only available in single light fairings)
2) Wireless (Sumitomo connector (KTM) or spade)
3) Rotary (Sumitomo connector (KTM) or spade)
Mounting
1) Main mount to attach to oem headlight subframe (think DRZs). Required for all fairings
2) Fork strap mount uppper w pins lower
3) All strap mount (4x)

Our base model is a fairing with the main mount and a model 30 LED at $225.00. The high end fairing with comes with 2 model 60s, a rotary or wireless dimmer, 4 fork strap mounts at ~$430.00 Prices do not include shipping.

When ordered with a LED controller, the fairing will be plug n play.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:53 AM   #147
M1Jeep
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,890
Are these available without lights? I would like to use my recently purchased model 60's.
My YouTube
Save $5 when you sign-up with SmugMug: COUPON
M1Jeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:57 AM   #148
harcus
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarono2 View Post
Cheers
Yes

They are available on our site at.....globetrottin.com

or go to this link...

http://www.shop.globetrottin.com/cat...?categoryId=37

Old 06-18-2012, 10:24 AM   #149
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1Jeep View Post
Are these available without lights? I would like to use my recently purchased model 60's.
Available with one model 30.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:59 AM   #150
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,674
Sanjoh, dumb this down for me. How do these lights compare with the stock headlight on a Yami WR250R?
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote