Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2012, 02:10 PM   #151
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyrabbit View Post
Sanjoh, dumb this down for me. How do these lights compare with the stock headlight on a Yami WR250R?
The WR headlight is DOT legal and traffic friendly. These lights are not DOT approved, however, with a LED controller you can adjust the low beam output and/or turn it completely off. The LED light output will put the WR headlight to shame while drawing way less watts.
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 02:14 PM   #152
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,555
Hmm, gonna have to pass this to Mala Bunny, see what she thinks.
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:23 AM   #153
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerWolf View Post
Hmmmmm....that is definitely UP THERE on the neat scale

GREAT Job ya'll

Hey Sanjoh, Does this fit on the ADVENTURE NINJA Bikes by any chance??

I have to get my Arizona Salvage bike past a DMV inspection to get a REBUILT Title,
so everything has gotta be DOT at that point.

BUT after I get the paper, maybe I might not hook up that special frame and Buell Headlight
at all and just use this instead.

HappyRiding !!
beemer
This would be a great solution for a Ninja conversion. How's that rebuilt title coming?
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:02 PM   #154
Aarono2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Offering a discount to ADV members?
Cheers
Aarono2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:28 AM   #155
harcus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarono2 View Post
Offering a discount to ADV members?
Cheers
Always!

My site...

globetrottin.com

Select what you like, on checkout put in coupon code... ADVISGOOD

This works on ANY product including the fairing for a 10% discount!

Thanks for asking

Current rides - '14 KTM 1190 R Adv <2k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:14 AM   #156
Aarono2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Awesome!
I just ordered a black one with a 3600 lumen LED! Looking forward to trying this thing out! Cheers
Aarono2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:02 PM   #157
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by harcus View Post
Always!

My site...

globetrottin.com

Select what you like, on checkout put in coupon code... ADVISGOOD

This works on ANY product including the fairing for a 10% discount!

Thanks for asking
You have the fairing for the xr650r but not the L. Is one coming down the pipe?
Old 06-29-2012, 08:32 AM   #158
harcus
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk_Uncle View Post
You have the fairing for the xr650r but not the L. Is one coming down the pipe?
The fairing will fit ANY bike. It is NOT make specific.

Look back at the previous posts where I did a write up to explain how it works but briefly...
1. It can be mounted on existing OEM brackets
2. It can be mounted on a "fender pin" bike like a KTM or Yamaha
3. It can be mounted on anything with fork tubes by using (2) fork bracket kits (each kit contains 2 fork brackets)

If this is confusing, give me a call at 801-913-4116 and we will work it out.

Current rides - '14 KTM 1190 R Adv <2k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga
Old 06-29-2012, 09:39 AM   #159
TRed
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Looks like a great goody, I may get one some day. I have a interesting situation here, our dmv (MVD) in my town doesn't do inspections of bikes that folks want street licsenced, instead they allow you to street liscence your dirt bike or quad or whatever you have. They don't care if it is a pure dirt only bike with zero lights, if you say give me a street plate, you get it, just pay for it and it's up to YOU the rider to meet the requirements of a street riden machine. All you need to do is pay for insurance and show that proof to the dmv, and you are all done. Now if you get pulled over with that machine and it doen't meet the requirements, a cop can give you a fixit ticket and away you go. I think that is the best way to handle it, why force every bike to be compliant, leave that up to the owner. The only time they inspect a machine here is when you want to plate a out of state vehicle in Az. And now for the fun part, all of Arizona is like this except two cities, Phoenix and Tuscon, every other city in the state has no smog checks and no inspections, god I love that!
TRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:52 PM   #160
harcus
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarono2 View Post
Awesome!
I just ordered a black one with a 3600 lumen LED! Looking forward to trying this thing out! Cheers
It shipped this morning. Enjoy!

Old 07-05-2012, 06:37 AM   #161
kbuckey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 722
Well, I said "screw it" and just ordered one with the megalight setup and LED controller. With the discount it's like getting the controller for free!

I think my wife is gonna kick me in the butt, but the pain will only last a while..... Besides, I haven't bought anything toooooo expensive for the DR in a while, and I think it deserves a little something for going over 50,000 miles (over 56,000 right now, actually).

By the way this is going to replace my current setup which is an LED bulb in the regular headlight shell and a Parrabellum windshield (which I take off in the summer except for long trips). It'll be interesting to see the difference.
kbuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:55 AM   #162
Rider11x
Resident Hillbilly

Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
Plug n Play on the DRZ400S

Ignore the lawyer sticker

Enjoy
Is that sticker from Suzuki???? If so, you wonder how many they made with the typo on it. "completely"
Old 07-09-2012, 06:39 AM   #163
FL Pepper
OMGWTFFTW

Oddometer: 1,439
Dual Sport Fairing Install on a Yamaha XT225

This week I installed the ADVmonster dual sport fairing on a Yamaha XT225.

First step was to decide which lights to put in the fairing. Any combination of Model 30 spots, Model 44 floods or Model 60 floods
can be ordered in the fairing for low and high beam lights. I wanted the maximum light output that the bike’s stator could handle.
The stock headlamp is a 55 watt light and 2 Model 60 LED flood lights use about 60 watts at maximum output, so I went with 2
of them in the fairing. That gives me a total light output of 7200 lumens and just cost me 5 extra watts of power.

Next, I chose the color of the fairing. The fairing is made of fiberglass with stainless steel mounting brackets
and comes in white or black.
The black fairing will look good with the black, silver and gray colors that are already on the bike.

I used the ADVmonster rotary dimmer for this install, because it is small, can be mounted either on the fairing or elsewhere on the bike,
and I can set the brilliance of the low beam light and leave it at that setting. The dual sport fairing can be ordered with either
the rotary dimmer or the wireless remote dimmer.

Now for the removal of the stock headlamp. The stock fairing is removed with one screw under the plastic, then pulls straight off.

Then I removed the lower bolts holding on the stock headlamp with a 5mm allen key and the large bolt at the top and the headlamp is free.

I unplugged the stock headlamp connector and set the stock headlamp aside.

While I had the headlamp off, I wired up an ADVmonster waterproof digital voltmeter to the headlight wiring.
Here it is temporarily mounted on the bike’s instrument cluster.

I used a couple of posi-tap connectors to quickly and easily wire the black lead from the meter to the ground wire
of the headlamp circuit and connected the power and signal wires together and tapped the low beam wire for power and signal.

Next, it is time to mount the new dual sport fairing to my bike. The dual sport fairing connects to the stock headlamp plug
with 3 spade connectors, black to ground, red to low beam and violet to high beam.

I decided that I wanted to mount the fairing with the bottom of it just above the front fender and the angle swept back a little.
On many bikes the fairing can be mounted securely using any combination of the mounting holes that are provided on the fairing mounting brackets.
I test fitted the fairing to the stock headlamp bracket and marked the spots that I would need to drill holes in the stock headlamp bracket.

After drilling one hole on each side, I mounted the fairing, checked the angle of it, and marked a second hole on each side.
In my install, I ended up using 2 holes next to each other on the bracket, but the holes used will vary depending on the bike
and the size and shape of the stock headlamp bracket. Some bikes may require spacers to offset any distance between
your desired mounting point and the fairing brackets.

The dual sport fairing fit perfectly on the Yamaha without any additional hardware other than the stainless steel bolts
that I used to mount the fairing to the stock headlamp bracket.

Just like Dr. House, I have a gallery watching me work as I perform surgery on the bike.

That’s it, the new fairing is installed and working.

Next step is to set the light level at which I want to run the low beam light. I would like it as bright as possible
without other vehicles flashing their lights at me. Time for a ride…

Here’s some before and after comparison photos:

Stock headlight during the day.

Dual sport fairing on low beam during the day.

With the high beam switch on, both LED lights are at full power.

Night shots:

Stock headlamp on low beam

Fairing low beam light at about the same light level as stock

Full power to the weapons – high beams on

Rode the bike down our less than well manicured dirt roads and the fairing did not exhibit any vibration or bouncing.
The height of the fairing provides great wind protection without being too tall, and I did not feel any buffeting of my helmet.
I noticed the sound level was much quieter behind the fairing with my dirt gear on.

View from the cockpit

It looks great on the little XT and the brighter light output makes it much more visible as well as providing me with more light.

I am very happy with the results.

Central Sandbox Tag-O-Rama Maps

FL Pepper screwed with this post 07-09-2012 at 06:59 AM
FL Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:42 AM   #164
kbuckey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 722
OK, the fairing came late Friday. Put it on the DR650 Saturday. I used the headlight mounting holes. Well, I tried. The fairing had the headlights pointed at the front fender so I moved it back to where it seems it should be with some spacers. Note, however, that the headlight mounting points are rubber mounted and it seemed to have a LOT of play. Rode it that way anyway and way too much play. Sooooo, I put another set of braces on (mounted to the DR's side headlight shroud mounting points and the top holes on the brace). Nice and sturdy.

The lights. Well, I just wondered how this was going to work. Turned them on - WOW that's bright! Low beam, nothing. Oh, yeah, the fob. Turned that on and - oops, got low beam on top. Reversed the wiring, now good. Pretty bright, probably still need to lower the low beam some more - both in aim and in brightness.

Riding behind it is great. Clear air at the helmet, no buffetting. Takes all the air off the chest. Not in the way at all. Think Ilm going to like it.
kbuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:50 PM   #165
harcus
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbuckey View Post
OK, the fairing came late Friday. Put it on the DR650 Saturday. I used the headlight mounting holes. Well, I tried. The fairing had the headlights pointed at the front fender so I moved it back to where it seems it should be with some spacers. Note, however, that the headlight mounting points are rubber mounted and it seemed to have a LOT of play. Rode it that way anyway and way too much play. Sooooo, I put another set of braces on (mounted to the DR's side headlight shroud mounting points and the top holes on the brace). Nice and sturdy.

The lights. Well, I just wondered how this was going to work. Turned them on - WOW that's bright! Low beam, nothing. Oh, yeah, the fob. Turned that on and - oops, got low beam on top. Reversed the wiring, now good. Pretty bright, probably still need to lower the low beam some more - both in aim and in brightness.

Riding behind it is great. Clear air at the helmet, no buffetting. Takes all the air off the chest. Not in the way at all. Think Ilm going to like it.
Good to hear you are 'going to like it"! The rubber "springs" should be compressed at all times. Tighten as required to tilt the LED in the direction needed. Consider it a "fine " adjustment where the fairing tilt is the "coarse" adjustment.

Post a pic. we wanna see it!