Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2012, 04:27 AM   #196
Rider11x
Resident Hillbilly

Oddometer: 142
Well, since my last post, saying I have been busy would be an understatement. I have my fairing installed, and Love the looks of it, and the lighting is astonishing to say the least!!!

For anyone mounting one of these on a Honda XR650L with the huge Acerbis 5.8 gallon tank, I am going to detail the highlights the fitment. These tanks are huge and barely allow room for anything.

1. The fender pins are slightly wider apart than the holes that are provided. Re drilling them basically produces a slot, and I inserted the OEM rubbers in there.

2. The headlight/ speedo cluster bracket is too long to get the proper angle on the fairing. I cut both sides as shown, to use the hole closer to the triple trees, and drilled out the threads to make them through holes.

3. Once I bolted it to those two holes, I covered the sides of the fairing with masking tape, and turned the bars side to side to sketch out what material needed removed to clear my tank. I removed the fairing, and cut it with a air cut off wheel, and a dremel with a small endmill type cutter. A sanding drum works well also. (Wear proper protection from the fiberglass).

Finished pics:

The funny thing is, I set up the lights outside of my garage, at night. I thought they were pretty bright compared to my Sylvania H4 high performance bulb I was using. I went for a test ride on some dark roads, turned on the high beam, and said "Holy S***!!!!" Awesome!!!!! The original thoughts I had about keeping my windshield were false. I hit a short section of interstate at highway speeds, and the air flow off of the fairing is actually cleaner (much less turbulence) than the windscreen had! Amazing!!! This product is a home run in my book!!!!!! LOVE IT!!!!!!!
Old 08-06-2012, 04:30 AM   #197
Rider11x
Resident Hillbilly

Note: My install was complicated by the fact that the Acerbis tank on the XRL is huge. I would have been shocked if anything would fit without some mods. I would say nearly any other tank would be much easier, and maybe without mods. Don't be intimidated by my posts, it is a super well thought out and designed product in every way.

Rider11x screwed with this post 08-06-2012 at 04:39 AM
Rider11x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:06 AM   #198
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,716
Rider11X,

Great to see you worked it out. Looks great!

For those with XR650Ls not wanting to cut the stock headlight mount, you can forgo the use of lower pins and use the fork mount for the lower portion of the fairing and the stock location for the upper.

This would move the faring forward and up a bit and probably clear the acerbis tank.
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:13 AM   #199
Rider11x
Resident Hillbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
Rider11X,

Great to see you worked it out. Looks great!

For those with XR650Ls not wanting to cut the stock headlight mount, you can forgo the use of lower pins and use the fork mount for the lower portion of the fairing and the stock location for the upper.

This would move the faring forward and up a bit and probably clear the acerbis tank.
Thanks! Very true on the alternate method. I do a lot of fabrication, so cutting and grinding to fit comes easy to me....I get a plan and start choppin! Not everyone got a cozy feeling about cutting stuff off their bikes. LOL! I did pick up a spare bracket like the one I cut on Ebay for $10 just in case I need to do a quick swap for an inspection or something. Doubt I will ever need it, but it can sit in reserve just in case.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:05 AM   #200
harcus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider11x View Post
Note: My install was complicated by the fact that the Acerbis tank on the XRL is huge. I would have been shocked if anything would fit without some mods. I would say nearly any other tank would be much easier, and maybe without mods. Don't be intimidated by my posts, it is a super well thought out and designed product in every way.
Good to see you worked it all out. Looks good on that bike. Happy to hear you like the air flow.

Current rides - '14 KTM 1190 R Adv <2k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:49 AM   #201
Tagati
tEAM iDIOT

Oddometer: 2,558
Has anyone put one on a TE630 yet?

Note to self. When fueling up at Windorah do NOT say "I'll see you later", "I had better get a hop along" or "See you around". You will just look like a prick in front of the locals and feel like a dick.
Tagati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:03 PM   #202
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagati View Post
Has anyone put one on a TE630 yet?
Not quite a 630 but a TE450

If you can post pictures of the mounting for the stock headlight on the 630, we can make a recommendation on mounting.

John
Old 08-14-2012, 03:28 AM   #203
Tagati
tEAM iDIOT

Oddometer: 2,558
I will get some photos up when i get home from work before dark

In the mean time would you be able to tell me how wide the bottom of the fairing is? I am trying to work out how it will mate up with the 630 fender.

EDIT. after looking at the photo you posted and the one I posted it looks like you made it for the 630.

Suppose I have run out of excuses, I hope you will ship to Australia

Note to self. When fueling up at Windorah do NOT say "I'll see you later", "I had better get a hop along" or "See you around". You will just look like a prick in front of the locals and feel like a dick.
Tagati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:37 AM   #204
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
In the mean time would you be able to tell me how wide the bottom of the fairing is? I am trying to work out how it will mate up with the 630 fender.
The bottom of the fairing starting at the triple is 18cm wide tapering to 15mm in the front, 8 cm deep (front to back).

Quote:
Yes
Old 08-14-2012, 07:06 AM   #205
kbuckey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 765
Well, I'm back from Ohio. 3300 and a few miles. A few thoughts.

With the fairing the bike is incredibly stable. Much more than with the old Parabellum and even better than naked. And still the front end feels much lighter than with the Parabelllum and not much heavier than stock.

Lights are just unbelievable.

There is a fair amount of wind noise, depending a lot on the angle of the cross wind (and there is ALWAYS a cross wind....). I'm thinking of trying a few tweaks to help that. Don't really notice it when doing moderate days on good twisty terrain - but flogging across Kansas/ eastern Colorado one does notice.

And my last day coming back I left Macon, MO headed for Norton, KS - 400 miles - where I was planning on spending the night. Got to Norton about 1:00 PM, looked around, said "been here, done this" and headed for home. Another 300 miles (707 GPS miles for the day), made it home before 6:00 pm. Went through a very nasty thunderstorm which blew the bike all over, but I really think the fairing made it controllable. Only issue was wind noise. Not buffeting as my helmet wasn't blown around at all (except by some of the strongest gusts but you can't blame the fairing for that) just more noise than I'd like (and yes I wear ear plugs). Interesting that if I just put my hand at the top of the fairing it reduced the noise by better that 50%.

Unlike the Parabellum there is enough of a breeze to help one cool off a bit(it was 107 eastbound through Kansas). You can kind of move around a little to get it to various places on the body through the mesh jacket.

I also think the fairing helped the gas mileage. Compared to my last ride in June to Kamiah, ID, under similar conditions and speeds I'd say I was getting up to 5 mpg better.

Did I mention that the lights are incredible?

All in all I am tickled pink.
kbuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:22 AM   #206
Rider11x
Resident Hillbilly

Quote:
I will get some photos up when i get home from work before dark

EDIT. after looking at the photo you posted and the one I posted it looks like you made it for the 630.

You will wonder why you waited so long once you get it. Really. These are really sweet. And if you are trying to justify spending money, subtract the money you would pay to go to the emergency room of the hospital, and the insurance deductible on your bike, because the lights give you a huge advantage in seeing critters along the road, BEFORE they run out in front of you. Not fool proof, but a huge advantage. And the wind deflection is actually better than the taller windscreen I had. An instructor at the local MSR just whacked up his new Super Tenere not long ago when a deer ran out in front of him. He told me about it as he stood there with pins sticking out of his broken hand and wrist. The bike had just over 600 miles on it.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:49 AM   #207
harcus
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbuckey View Post
Well, I'm back from Ohio. 3300 and a few miles. A few thoughts.

With the fairing the bike is incredibly stable. Much more than with the old Parabellum and even better than naked. And still the front end feels much lighter than with the Parabelllum and not much heavier than stock.

Lights are just unbelievable.

There is a fair amount of wind noise, depending a lot on the angle of the cross wind (and there is ALWAYS a cross wind....). I'm thinking of trying a few tweaks to help that. Don't really notice it when doing moderate days on good twisty terrain - but flogging across Kansas/ eastern Colorado one does notice.

And my last day coming back I left Macon, MO headed for Norton, KS - 400 miles - where I was planning on spending the night. Got to Norton about 1:00 PM, looked around, said "been here, done this" and headed for home. Another 300 miles (707 GPS miles for the day), made it home before 6:00 pm. Went through a very nasty thunderstorm which blew the bike all over, but I really think the fairing made it controllable. Only issue was wind noise. Not buffeting as my helmet wasn't blown around at all (except by some of the strongest gusts but you can't blame the fairing for that) just more noise than I'd like (and yes I wear ear plugs). Interesting that if I just put my hand at the top of the fairing it reduced the noise by better that 50%.

Unlike the Parabellum there is enough of a breeze to help one cool off a bit(it was 107 eastbound through Kansas). You can kind of move around a little to get it to various places on the body through the mesh jacket.

I also think the fairing helped the gas mileage. Compared to my last ride in June to Kamiah, ID, under similar conditions and speeds I'd say I was getting up to 5 mpg better.

Did I mention that the lights are incredible?

All in all I am tickled pink.
Good to hear positive reports.

I notice the wind noise varies depending on...
a. the helmet I am wearing
b. wind direction

Lots of variables here.

Thanks for the feedback.

Current rides - '14 KTM 1190 R Adv <2k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga
Old 09-09-2012, 01:58 PM   #208
Dr.Z
6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer: 10,014
Here's what it looks like on a XR650R...

Looks better than the X2 light I used to have on there...

The model 60 lights are awesome!

Great product!

He's got some of the basics down, but, in the end, that just has to create a bigger clusterfuck in that chinese fire drill of a cognitive thought he brought to the dog and pony show of his new found awareness. - Jack Goff
Dr.Z is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:51 PM   #209
harcus
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Z View Post
Here's what it looks like on a XR650R...

Looks better than the X2 light I used to have on there...

The model 60 lights are awesome!

Great product!
Looks good!

How was the bug n wind deflection?

Old 09-10-2012, 05:34 AM   #210
Dr.Z
6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer: 10,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by harcus View Post
Looks good!

How was the bug n wind deflection?

It's better than the windshield I had!

He's got some of the basics down, but, in the end, that just has to create a bigger clusterfuck in that chinese fire drill of a cognitive thought he brought to the dog and pony show of his new found awareness. - Jack Goff
Dr.Z is online now   Reply With Quote