Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Asia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2014, 12:03 AM   #1
VietHorse OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,275
??? When BMW officially come to Vietnam??

Hi,
First, I gotta say sorry for anyone think this is non related thread and you are not interested in. I don't know where to post this to make it more "relevant". It's up to Moderator to decide to keep this thread or not.

------------------------------

As a BMW owner, I really want to see BMW Motorrad officially presents in Vietnam.
Hopefully this thread may reach someone who can help to make it happens.

Thru ADV and some other non-Vietnamese forums, I know that many people think that in Vietnam we only have scooters or very small cc motorcycle.
Actually it is not true. We can own whatever motorcycle which we can buy or make. And there are many of big motorcycle in Vietnam, even in the past.
Previously, there was biggest barrier which stopped many people from riding big motorcycle. It's license.
A1 license for riding motorcycle below 175cc. A2 license for 175cc and above.
It was very difficult to apply for A2, need lots of paperworks which not many people could effort.
Last year, Vietnam Govt. revised the rule, now anyone can apply for A2, and so many people passed the exam and got the A2 easily.

(You can follow this LINK for more detail, or my signature)

I think some motorcycle brands they knew about that change and they started jumping in.

First, it was Ducati. If I am not mistaken, they opened their Dealer in Vietnam around 2011-2012, and currently they have Dealers in Hanoi an Hochiminh City. Ducati owner community in Vietnam grows very fast. There are many Ducati clubs all around Vietnam, with all type of bike, from Monsters, Multistrada, Hypemotard/strada, 1098/1198/sp/1199 etc...

Last year, KTM opened their Dealer chain here, while most of Vietnamese have no idea what is KTM. Now KTM have been opening many branches, from South to North of Vietnam, selling, servicing, etc... KTM comes into Vietnam and made it as really a big bang to Vietnam motorcycle market, with wide range of type and cc of motorcycles.

Nov 2013, Harley opened its showroom in Hochiminh City, selling bike, stuff and services. They will open another one in Hanoi this year. I believe their revenue keeps increasing daily as I saw more and more Harley on the road very significantly.

There is no BMW Motorrad dealer in Vietnam up to this moment. But actually there are several BMWs are on road, from some old school BMW, new F800GS/A, R1200GS/A, several R1200GS Water Cooled and even NineT !
They are all imported by "general" motorcycle importer/seller.
And subsequently, there is NO proper motorcycle service from BMW. What we are doing now is using existing mechanic shops (which for all type of scooters and motorcycles), some we can do our own, or sometimes we had to cross the border, to go to nearest BMW which is in Thailand!!!

Well, make it short, BMW please come to Vietnam, before we tired of improper servicing and switch to Ducati or KTM.
Thank you.

Link to All about VietNam

VietHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:45 PM   #2
VietHorse OP
Beastly Adventurer

Ducati even invited Nicky Hayden to ride its bike in Hochiminh City - Vietnam. As well as Charley Boorman:

And for BMW, we just need proper dealer and services.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:59 PM   #3
pistole
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 812
Start a FaceBook page. See how many people you can get riled up.

and then link it to BMW Ag and BMW SEA

its all about numbers but if as you say , all the other players are there in Vietnam already , there's no reason why BMW Motorrad isn't.

more so when BMW has commenced local assembly of the F800GS and F800R in Thailand which then enjoys preferential import duties within ASEAN countries.

pistole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:08 PM   #4
VietHorse OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thank you, Pistole. Your advice is really practical and doable. We are having a FB page as you mentioned. I will try to get more agreement and do the linkage as your advice.

Old 06-22-2014, 12:38 AM   #5
BitShuffler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
BMW would only come here if it made good business sense and at the moment I'm not sure it would. KTM, Harley and Ducati all have smaller capacity, cheaper bikes that work well in the Vietnamese market (KTM has Dukes, Harley has Street 750s and even the cheaper Monsters are very aggressively priced in VN when you consider taxes etc.). But BMW doesn't really have any models that are targeted at developing markets - even their lower capacity bikes are quite expensive and don't have any of the 'sex appeal' that I think is important here. At the moment, I think you're much more likely to see Yamaha and Honda start officially importing some of their bigger capacity bikes as an aspirational marketing exercise (Suzuki already has Hyabusas and SVF650s) - having more FZ-09's and Fireblades visible out on the road probably helps FZ150i and CBR125 sales along nicely.

Ofcourse, I hope I'm wrong and they open a showroom tomorrow so I can go and drool all over a HP2 S1000 but I don't think it is likely...

All that said - good luck with your campaign!

PS: I suspect the changes to A2 licensing happened in the opposite way to what you mentioned in your other post ie. companies wanting to sell larger capacity bikes in VN put pressure on the government (in one way or another) to make it more straight forward for people to get a license that would let people ride their bikes.
BitShuffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 02:45 AM   #6
VietHorse OP
Beastly Adventurer

You 're definitely right. They will come for a business reason. And it must be a good business as their market analysis.
Same as you, I was also expecting that some familiar Japanese brands (i.e. Honda, Ya, Kawa, Suzuki...) started their business with big bikes. But actually, for Vietnam market, they have won too much with scooters. And they don't care about the big bikes. I think among 4 brand names of Japan bikes I have just mentioned, coincidence or not, Suzuki is at the forth place in term of revenue in Vietnam, so that why they brought Haya and SVF650s in to check the market health???!!

As you are in Vietnam, you may notice that the Mechanic skill of Vietnamese are acceptable, if not saying very good. With decades with Japanese bikes, they can handle of all the issues of Jap big bikes. Even though there are not many shops can handle motorcycle electronic problem, but there is none have to leave their bike handicap or ride oversea to fix.
That thing happens to Europe bikes. I know some Triumph now they ride with the problem which can not fix. Some Ducati was put inside their house for years before Ducati service come. And of course BMW, we have to ride to Thailand or Malaysia to fix the electronic issues.

Buying motorcycle in Vietnam it is just the matter of cost. Don't worry about what motorcycle you want. You can book whatever bike which even not yet really sold any where in the world. And they can bring it to you before the US or Canada I would say. I don't know how 'd they do that. But it is real.
You can imagine the Ducati Diavel imported to Vietnam just after launching in Shanghai for around 10 days. Ducati 1199 Panigale was also in the same thing, and not by the Ducati Vietnam.
And recently, R1200GSA Watercooled already here in Vietnam, not later than in the EU for 2 months! And lastestly the BMW NineT has registered and started rolling here in Vietnam last two weeks.
And soon, there are many to come, with the relaxation of the new A2 rule.
Why not BMW come in with just some few bikes? And more on parts and services? We own the bikes how can we run away from buying parts and services?

What the reason for Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Land Rover to have many of their Showrooms and Dealers in Vietnam?
Who thinks Roll-Royce has dealer in Vietnam? If you think so, you are right. There are two Roll-Royce official showrooms and dealers now in Vietnam. One in Hanoi and one in HCMC.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:15 PM   #7
farqhuar
Lone Wolf

Oddometer: 1,036
Hmm, are you sure there isn't a BMW dealer in Ho Chi Minh City?

I saw a brand new C650GT for sale in a dealership in November 2012 - this model had not even been released in Australia at that time, and I was very impressed to see it in Vietnam. I don't recall the exact address of the dealer but it was somewhere near the palace in Nguyen Du.
Old 10-19-2014, 04:50 PM   #8
Voltaire
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,272
My wife and I recently did a tour from Saigon to Hanoi, covered about 3500 kms of mainly secondary and single track roads.
I found riding at 50/60 kmph quite adequate considering the condition of the roads, the traffic and the livestock.
I quizzed the guide and said that the scooters/motorbikes of around 100/150cc started at $2500 US and that there was no hire purchase as such and you paid cash.
Duty I heard was 80%.
If I lived in Vietnam I'd prefer my old BMW's as I can fix them, you can't however import used bikes.
Sorting out the licences would be useful.
Great trip, excellent place , nice people.
Saigon to Hanoi two up on a Honda 150
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1009571&page=2
Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote