Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2012, 10:49 PM   #16
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumi View Post
As for the 6k rpm vibes, I'd recommend a carb balance.
A pronounced vibration at 6k rpm which is atypical for a 950 is not a carb sync issue..
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:07 PM   #17
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post
A pronounced vibration at 6k rpm which is atypical for a 950 is not a carb sync issue..
okay...
Old 02-21-2012, 11:09 PM   #18
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post
+1

the vibration could be mechanical, which could be very expensive if not solved right away. It could also just be bad fuel and fouled carbs. If the PO is willing to have a conversation about the bike, I would ask about this issue to see if it had been a problem. If owner seems to be unwilling to talk, I would walk away unless the deal is good enough to make it worth while to repair the engine should it need it.
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:34 AM   #19
dlrides
1:1.618

Oddometer: 5,201
+1

This guy knows about 950's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head2Wind View Post
+1

the vibration could be mechanical, which could be very expensive if not solved right away. It could also just be bad fuel and fouled carbs. If the PO is willing to have a conversation about the bike, I would ask about this issue to see if it had been a problem. If owner seems to be unwilling to talk, I would walk away unless the deal is good enough to make it worth while to repair the engine should it need it.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:24 AM   #20
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

I agree with the posts above!

Best thing would be in my opinion, if you would have a chance to take someone with you who already has or had an LC8, so he could tell if the 6k rpm vibrations are normal or not..

Also in my opinion, it's not a silk smooth running engine at all - the LC8.. It's way smoother than let's say an LC4 single, but nothing as smooth as a honda inline-4 for example:) First time when I really realized this was when I removed the rubber pads from the foot pegs.

Ofcourse it can be as easy as a very expensive mechanical failure developing in there:)

If in doubt, don't buy it!

Sumi screwed with this post 02-22-2012 at 04:32 AM
Sumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:30 AM   #21
bwalsh OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,587
I have two inmates who live not too far away who said they may be able to come and look at it. I going to try and get the PO phone number and try and get a feel for him. He is supposedly a 70yo man, who I assume just rode the thing and never did much maintenance.
I have the VIN number. I am going to call KTM USA and a local, to him, dealer who evidently, by stickers on the bike, did some work on it.

I 99% sure the vibes are not normal...

Thanks for the replies!

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:37 AM   #22
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
I have two inmates who live not too far away who said they may be able to come and look at it. I going to try and get the PO phone number and try and get a feel for him. He is supposedly a 70yo man, who I assume just rode the thing and never did much maintenance.
I have the VIN number. I am going to call KTM USA and a local, to him, dealer who evidently, by stickers on the bike, did some work on it.

Thanks for the replies!
Well if there wasn't really any maintenance done on the bike, I'd be extra carefull with it, because if one thing can kill these bikes, that would be the lack of proper maintenance.. If you are sure that the vibes aren't normal, then better listen to the commenters above, because they really know a lot more about these bikes than for example I do!
Old 02-22-2012, 06:46 AM   #23
japslap
Japslap

Oddometer: 139
Be interested to know how this turns out,hope you resolve it,but as said above if you are'nt getting this bike cheap id give it a swerve,there are more bikes out there and hey my dad used to say,son never buy the first one you see....
japslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:50 AM   #24
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,530
About all you can do to see if it is a possible internal engine problem is to pull all the oil screens and the filter to look for contamination. Also send in an oil analysis for review.

I think this is a roll of the dice and the price must reflect that. Of course the seller can put in the $ and fix the problem to keep the price up.

I recently had a vibration and right hand going numb problem... Turned out the handlebar nuts (fiber locking type) had come loose.
spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:48 AM   #25
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
The 950 is a more vibey bike compared to say Japanese twins.

It wasn't until I switched back and forth with a DL1000 and a DL650 on a ride that I realized both were significantly smoother than the 950. I'd owned a horrid LC4 that everyone else refused to ride for so long that I'd forgotten what smooth felt like

But on the 950 there shouldn't be a certain point in the rpm range where the vibes dramatically increase.

It could be many things. If it's only happening when moving (I can reproduce my issue on the side/center stand in neutral) it could be something simple like the wheel in which case it's probably more speed related than rpm so I'd try and see if the rpm at which it occurs can be changed by playing with gear selection.

As HW2 said, it could be mechanical. Is it at a KTM dealer? What do they think about it?
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:36 PM   #26
bwalsh OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumi View Post
Well if there wasn't really any maintenance done on the bike, I'd be extra carefull with it, because if one thing can kill these bikes, that would be the lack of proper maintenance.. If you are sure that the vibes aren't normal, then better listen to the commenters above, because they really know a lot more about these bikes than for example I do!
The lack of maintenance is pure speculation on my part but the bike was not kept real clean so who knows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by japslap View Post
Be interested to know how this turns out,hope you resolve it,but as said above if you are'nt getting this bike cheap id give it a swerve,there are more bikes out there and hey my dad used to say,son never buy the first one you see....
I'll keep you in the loop.
As far as anyone with experience looking at it, there is going to have to be a partial dismantling of the bike, which I doubt the store owner, or me, will want to do. They had it listed for $5995 and I offered $5000 because of the overall condition of the bike. The store owner finally agreed to $5150 after going back and forth. Not bad for a good running, I repeat "good running", 950.
IMO The PO didn't treat it right by the way it looked, slight surface rust on the radiator guard, windscreen bolts and other metal parts under the dash, spots on the exhaust where if it was not cleaned soon it would start corroding, etc. It was from up North and had not been washed after riding in salty conditions, at least from my point of view.

The way I see it now, I ether
A: get a friend to look(but I doubt any definite answer will come out of "looking" it over and a test ride, or
B: thake it to a KTM dealer about 30 miles away, Which I don't want to pay for IF there is internal damage, or
C: walk away

I'm gooing to give the KTM dealer a call and see what they say but option "C" is looking better and better...

What REALLY sucks is I forgot to get my license back(and he forgot to give it back) when he made a copy and now I have to drive 1.5-2 hours up and back just to get it!

Old 02-22-2012, 03:29 PM   #27
pchGS
Mark

Oddometer: 97
License

Have them mail it to you, with priority w/sig receipt at their cost, unless you really want to make that trip...
pchGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:33 PM   #28
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,226
What's a safe investment on $5 large?

I'd bet a lot can be uncovered at a good KTM shop.

The reason anyone would want to buy a used early model 950 is so they get into the Adventure ownership game lite on the entrance feel. But ownership is just the start of a costly habit. If you aren't comfortable with shop fees, then you might want to reconsider your fine taste in bikes.

Anyone considering purchasing a used 950 that doesn't have a stellar service record can should already have in their budget:

An engine flush, draining the old fuel, valve adjustment, replacing all filters, screens and oil, a radiator flush, all TSB's verified and/ or upgraded ( at this point possibly at the new owner's expense), steering head lubed, fork seals checked and cleaned, swingarm bearings lubed, battery tested ( replaced), chain and sprockets checked, brakes checked, tires replaced ( originals may have dry rot... why chance a 100 mph blowout?), and consider removing all smog hoses removed ( Cannisterectomy done... since the rats that got into the airbox probably fed themselves on the rubber hoses along the way and ruined them).

And I'd recommend to have the factory mechanic do leakdown tests, light carb rebuild ( from freestanding ethanol compositing) a carb tune and floatbowl adjustment.

I'd also consider replacing the clutch slave cylinder with an upgraded product, replacing the fuel pump, updating the breather valve ( eliminating oil backing up into front carb), pulling the clutch to check the bolts.

Usually when you purchase a full valve adjustment and tune, you get some of the other service thrown in. If you get all this done for under $1300, you should be happy.

This should give you a pretty good starting point.

And I'd run Yamalube ring clean through the fuel system every other fill up.

That's just the price of admission to play in the KTM playground.

And, although you can do some, if not most of the work yourself... get a good shop involved from the get-go. It's very helpful in the long run to establish a good service track record. So if by bad luck the bike does develop an unusual or intermittent problem, you have some one else who can cross check the symptoms.

It's for this reason alone, that IMHO it's more important to find a well kept bike on the used market then a cheap one.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:23 PM   #29
bwalsh OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post
I'd bet a lot can be uncovered at a good KTM shop.

The reason anyone would want to buy a used early model 950 is so they get into the Adventure ownership game lite on the entrance feel. But ownership is just the start of a costly habit. If you aren't comfortable with shop fees, then you might want to reconsider your fine taste in bikes.

Anyone considering purchasing a used 950 that doesn't have a stellar service record can should already have in their budget:

I am in the process of getting the service records. I found out today from the owner it has a new water pump and fuel pump.

An engine flush, draining the old fuel, valve adjustment, replacing all filters, screens and oil, a radiator flush, all TSB's verified and/ or upgraded ( at this point possibly at the new owner's expense), steering head lubed, fork seals checked and cleaned, swingarm bearings lubed, battery tested ( replaced), chain and sprockets checked, brakes checked, tires replaced ( originals may have dry rot... why chance a 100 mph blowout?), and consider removing all smog hoses removed ( Cannisterectomy done... since the rats that got into the airbox probably fed themselves on the rubber hoses along the way and ruined them).

I plan on doing most all what you mentioned. I contacted the local KTM dealer and found out there was one small item(TSB) that needs to be done, for free. The tech also said the could do the Valve adjustment and Carb sinc in 4-5 hours at $55/hr. I would also have them replace filters and maybe just go ahead and do an oil change while the had it. Have them give it a good look over.
It has new brake pads, sprockets and chain. The PO had 17" rims on it and has the stock rims back on with fairly new tires and I'm not going to do 100mph.
I'd like to keep that license I just went and picked up!
I've got about five folks nearby who own 950-990's so they can help me with the Cannisterectomy and general maintenance.

And I'd recommend to have the factory mechanic do leakdown tests, light carb rebuild ( from freestanding ethanol compositing) a carb tune and floatbowl adjustment.

I'd also consider replacing the clutch slave cylinder with an upgraded product, replacing the fuel pump, updating the breather valve ( eliminating oil backing up into front carb), pulling the clutch to check the bolts.

I pan on slowly upgrading. I have been reading up on these bikes for a LONG time.

Usually when you purchase a full valve adjustment and tune, you get some of the other service thrown in. If you get all this done for under $1300, you should be happy.

This should give you a pretty good starting point.

And I'd run Yamalube ring clean through the fuel system every other fill up.

That's just the price of admission to play in the KTM playground.

And, although you can do some, if not most of the work yourself... get a good shop involved from the get-go. It's very helpful in the long run to establish a good service track record. So if by bad luck the bike does develop an unusual or intermittent problem, you have some one else who can cross check the symptoms.

It's for this reason alone, that IMHO it's more important to find a well kept bike on the used market then a cheap one.
Considering they were asking about $400-500 less than suggested retail, I don't consider this a "cheap" bike. What I thought it is worth is still more than low retail.
It only has 20,250 miles and was ridden by a 70 year old man who from what I can gather has a lot of bikes and doesn't slack on the maintenance. He is only 5'6" and had a sumo set up on it. It was still just too tall for him so he is getting rid of it.
It's too bad he decided to take it to this dealer as it would have sold a lot quicker in a shop that sells dual sports. They have a lot of cruiser bikes so no one is looking at this bike.
I think this is more the case of a bike that has sat for awhile and is in need of a little TLC. Not a major overhaul.
I may have the store owner willing to sinc the carbs. If it reduces or eliminates the vibes then it's game on! Then I will have an idea of where to go.

Thanks for the help everyone!