Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2015, 10:58 AM   #1
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 40,442
What Do You Do With Your Old Cell Phones?

I'm still holding onto my Droid 4 and it's physical keyboard for a bit longer but the writing is on the wall and I'm planning what to do next with it.

The answer is basically to turn it into a media/game player and I just bought a powered USB on the go cable for 1.79, and already have a micro HDMI to HDMI cable. So I'll be able to use it off WIFI for HBO GO, Netflix, etc. and plug in an XBox 360 Controller and play the various games I have for it (thanks to humble bundle deals I've got a ton and they were all dirt cheap).

Just to become a media player total investment is >10 bucks, and controllers are cheap as well with wired compatible ones going for 10-20. I also have a bluetooth one for gaming on my tablet which I got for 5 bucks at gamestop and it's still going strong.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:00 AM   #2
adam_c_eckhardt
done with Chemistry!

Oddometer: 5,265
What's new Jon?

I usually keep my cell phones until they completely die and then bitch about losing all my contact info.
adam_c_eckhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:02 AM   #3
phillyrube
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,293
Good question. I'm still using my droid Motorola Blur, wife got a new phone, and now we find out our provider is going away and the phones will not transfer. So we're looking for a new provider and family plan. We go in with the kids on their plan to save a little cash. Would love to have a breakdown on exactly how much data I use in order to make a decision.
phillyrube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:05 AM   #4
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 6,491
I throw mine in the trash, but I'm still using flip phones.
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:07 AM   #5
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_c_eckhardt View Post
What's new Jon?

I usually keep my cell phones until they completely die and then bitch about losing all my contact info.
Too much work!! Laid up from over doing it I could use a or 5

Oh and I've got a giant ass print waiting for you in my office!

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
Old 01-03-2015, 11:12 AM   #6
dhallilama
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 499
I've got a bunch of them around the house... everthing from old HTCs, to Galaxy II to a Droid Razr Maxx HD
  • kids play games on them
  • wifi/internet streaming media (Netflix, Hulu, Plex)
  • wifi security camera
    - works QUITE well for this purpose! better than my purpose built wifi cams.
Old 01-03-2015, 11:30 AM   #7
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,633
I still use it.

It's held together with scotch tape, has a tiny screen, the battery falls out, the right scroll button doesn't work.. but it still calls/texts.

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 12:18 PM   #8
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 18,668
Old shit goes on ebay.
Still have my Droid X2 for development.
#155 | Mule's Photos | BackCountryRebels | ThumperTalk | Tekrider | TylersBA
SnowMule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 12:24 PM   #9
josjor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,871
We've got a local organization that deals with battered women. They take them and give them to clients who need new cel phones and sim cards to keep their abusive bastards in the dark. I've donated my old ones to them.
listen mister, we didnt evolve porcelin shitters just so we could squat to take a shit, like monkeys.
josjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 12:26 PM   #10
RYANINMICHIGAN
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by josjor View Post
We've got a local organization that deals with battered women. They take them and give them to clients who need new cel phones and sim cards to keep their abusive bastards in the dark. I've donated my old ones to them.
This. Even deactivated phones can call 911
RYANINMICHIGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 01:12 PM   #11
small_e_900
Amanda carried it

Oddometer: 1,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by josjor View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RYANINMICHIGAN View Post
This. Even deactivated phones can call 911

I've done this before. I had a bag with about ten flip phones, the chargers for house and car, cases ,operators manuals, ear buds, the works.

I called the State Police. They have a program to distribute old phones to seniors and women who have orders of protection against some shithead.

Met a State Trooper at the nearby barracks gave him a bag of phones and he took it from there.
small_e_900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 04:19 PM   #12
rdrce698
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Stream Pandora thru an old iPhone 4. I-pure 20 is a pretty good docking station/dac for $99
rdrce698 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 05:15 PM   #13
TooFast
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,228
[QUOTE=NikonsAndVStroms;25842062]I'm still holding onto my Droid 4 and it's physical keyboard for a bit longer but the writing is on the wall and I'm planning what to do next with it.

I've been wanting a phone with a decent camera and for wifi use, don't plan on using it as a phone. This sounds like it may work, more compact that a tablet, any other phones recommended for cheap? very cheap - got in a car wreck and wished I had a phone to take pics for the insurance company

TooFast screwed with this post 01-03-2015 at 05:21 PM
TooFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 05:24 PM   #14
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooFast View Post
I've been wanting a phone with a decent camera and for wifi use, don't plan on using it as a phone. This sounds like it may work, any other phones recommended for cheap? very cheap - got in a car wreck and wished I had a phone to take pics for the insurance company
The camera is a bit of a weak point on the phone even for early 2012 so it might not be the best option. But I'm really picky when it comes to cameras so that could be part of it too. Just for documenting a car wreck it would work. Also it's the same internally as the 1st Android moto Razr if you find one of those and they have larger screens just no physical keyboard.

The downside to all of these is they have built in batteries, you can replace em but it's a bit more of a pain as they use a ribbon cable VS just sliding in like other phones.

New phones are getting pretty cheap so unless you can find one for 40-50 bucks I'd probably just buy a Moto E which has similar specs but runs on a newer version of Android and is only ~115 bucks:

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Moto-...FB4Y5Z0GAHDPQF

Then spend another 10-15 bucks for a 32GB SD card if you need some more room/want to store music.

Edit: Bad news about the Moto E is it has no flash for the camera, though you might be able to find a Moto G on sale for that price which is a pretty nice Android device.

Old 01-03-2015, 05:33 PM   #15
TooFast
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,228
Thanks for the info, I'd be carrying it on dirt bike trips around Moab, Grand Canyon, etc and car trips to find motels, etc. Likely to get some rough handling. Thought I saw it had an 8 MP camera....how many MP does it take these days for decent pics? I'm still on an old pay as you go dumb phone where 100 minutes lasts me a whole year.

edit - probably not this one Motorola Droid 4 XT894 4G LTE Black - Verizon Wireless
by Motorola

TooFast screwed with this post 01-03-2015 at 05:45 PM
TooFast is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: