Whats a good dependable one?

rufus screwed with this post 06-18-2012 at 04:13 AM
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:58 PM   #2
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,602
Klay to the white phone, please...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:58 PM   #3
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,805
What's a refridgerator? Is it like a refrigerator? Don't you Okies still call them iceboxes?
Old 06-18-2012, 04:18 AM   #4
rufus OP
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 4,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie88 View Post
What's a refridgerator? Is it like a refrigerator? Don't you Okies still call them iceboxes?
I don't know how that d got in there. I think that maybe the sun was in my eyes, my jetting was off, brain fart..............

When I was young everyone I knew called it an icebox. Lots of older folks still do.
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:57 PM   #5
bergermeister
housin'

Oddometer: 1,975
you spelling guys forgot to state that you don't even have a refrigerator.

although I am not a fridge expert, I did go to an auction recently and saw many nice modern stainless ones going for an average of $200. seems like a pretty cost efficient way of getting a fridge.

I bought a pretty cheap frigidaire at lowes for the garage a few years back, and I have no complaints other than the shelf flexes a bit under my beer.
bergermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:48 PM   #6
arkansawyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,907
I know I won't be buying anything Whirlpool. They will close their plant in Ft. Smith next month. Production is moving to Mexico.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:11 PM   #7
Capt_Gruuvy
Travel Poet

Oddometer: 310
I have had an LG for five years. I had two teens during that time attacking it at all hours. Never had a problem.

It is way too big for us now.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:14 PM   #8
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 7,964
House we bought last year has a Sub Zero. It's pretty nice. Best we've had. We also liked the GE Profile we bought for the last house.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:17 PM   #9
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,532
Hey Rufus.

Seems the old ones are built to last. Cheap, modern ones always seem to crap out on me. If you're looking to drop respectable coin, I have no suggestions. Consumer Reports might be a better option than some of these wise-asses in here.

BTW- you, Dick, or Jerry headed to the enduro in Stillwater? Looks like I'm bringing a crew (to race ) from Tulsa including Newner, Tomski, Dirt2007, and maybe more.
-DustyRags
DirtyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:24 AM   #10
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,129
I don't know that I'm qualified to recommend a brand for its reliability, but I do know this: if you buy a French door fridge like my Samsung, do not expect the doors to swing closed like I've gotten used to over the last 48 years. You have to push these doors shut until they "latch".

It's a very hard habit to break, and consequently the doors on this fridge drive me nuts.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:51 PM   #11
Kubla
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,262
I have a Frigidaire side by side, just went to the local appliance store and asked for the cheapest side by side model they had, they pointed to this one and said $699 plus $30 delivery and I said sold, even had in icemaker and water through the door (not working since I did not hook up the water line)

would have bought a freezer on the bottom model but they started at $1100

My parents have a french door model, it sucks and they kind of wish they had not bought it
2000 westward Go-4
1982 Bluebird wanderlodge
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:34 PM   #12
Texspeleo
Opportunivore

Oddometer: 257
Been really happy with the Kitchenaid side-by side that we bought from the dent aisle at Lowe's for $400. Had it for about 10 years now with no issues.
Texspeleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:49 AM   #13
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,677
I used to work as a refrigerator repair man before moving on 8 years ago. Back then the most reliable brand was Whirlpool and the Kenmore branded Whirlpool. Sure they have their design goofs once in a while but overall they tended to be the most trouble free.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:44 AM   #14
Gander
Newly minted n00b

Oddometer: 941
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog View Post
Hey Rufus.

Seems the old ones are built to last. Cheap, modern ones always seem to crap out on me. If you're looking to drop respectable coin, I have no suggestions. Consumer Reports might be a better option than some of these wise-asses in here.

BTW- you, Dick, or Jerry headed to the enduro in Stillwater? Looks like I'm bringing a crew (to race ) from Tulsa including Newner, Tomski, Dirt2007, and maybe more.

I was looking at a house last Saturday that had a 1955, GE wall mounted, overhead cabinet type fridge/freezer in it that was original to the home...IT STILL WORKED!!
Gander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:10 AM   #15
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,677
There are a couple reasons why the really old refrigerators keep going and going long after more modern ones crap out. First there is no auto defrost paraphernalia like heating elements, timers, defrost thermostats, fans, and all those connections prone to corrosion. Second the old compressors are a lot bigger, more heavy duty, and run a smaller percentage of time. In a quest for efficiency and lower cost the newer compressors are smaller and run up to 90 percent of the time. Heavy duty simplicity is the key to long life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gander View Post
I was looking at a house last Saturday that had a 1955, GE wall mounted, overhead cabinet type fridge/freezer in it that was original to the home...IT STILL WORKED!!
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: