ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2012, 06:37 PM   #1
tommybelvedere OP
Adv alacarte'

Oddometer: 415
Whatcha Workin on?

I had a nice unexpected sunny day to do whatever i wanted, what's it gonna be? If any of you are like me winter doldrums are cured by dreaming of rides upcoming this spring/summer/fall. I got a chance to have a garage day and took to working on my Dr650 and also my wifes ride, her CB550 she has had since college.

The plan was to mount the slipstream dual sport windshield i had purchased but never put on for one reason or another. I wanted it to fit in front of the stock numberplate and still be able to have the bag for the numberplate carry some stuff as well. The deflector will help with the wind buffeting at hwy speeds the most bikes experience. It is one of the things i want to upgrade before the nicer weather gets here.

Heres a pic of it installed, not to hard after some wrangling with the clamps. I think i'll like it.

The next thing to get done was to do the carb swap i have been putting off for a long time on my wives Honda 550 vintage 1975. It has trashed carbs and i have had a set of replacements on the shelf for a while all cleaned and ready to go, but the idea of tearing into it was a little daunting as there are 4 of them. I guess that is what has been keeping me from actually doing it.
After not too much trouble getting the old fuel lines and throttle cable unhooked and the old carbys came out.

The new carbs slipped right in and buttoned up nicely. I did have to switch the fuel lines on the newer set as it had a tee and the old ones had two fuel lines going to the petcock. I forgot to hook up the throttle cable the first time so i had the honor of doing it twice. Heres a shot of the old girl after carb transplant surgery!!

It started up and ran pretty good for not being started for over a year. The old carbs would pop and sputter at speed and these new carbs were freshlly cleaned and were in good shape. I took a spin around the yard and driveway as my wife is really touchy about the way i ride her bike down the road. ??? It ran real good.
The plan it to put around the back roads when it gets a little warmer for some day rides, it would be great to be out riding together.
This is but a little of the prep i will do on the fleet for the riding year ahead. So there you have it.
What are all you ff's working on to get ready for the riding season, new gear? tires? luggage, camp gear for your bike?
Post it up, lets see it.
See ya around the garage!!
tommybelvedere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:38 PM   #2
n16ht5
ride the night

Oddometer: 2,246
cool old Honda. that windscreen looks more like a feedramp to your face lol.. I noticed on my windscreen that the closest to vertical I could get it the better it worked.

monday...

waiting for my LHRB to come in now
n16ht5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:01 PM   #3
tommybelvedere OP
Adv alacarte'

Yeah i was thinking that it may be too slanted so i might try to get it a little more vertical, might end up losing the numberplate sack though.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:15 AM   #4
Danodemotoman
Danodemotoman

Oddometer: 251
New to me '05 Concours. Low mileage @ 16k.
Boring Beige
First thing, pull all the fairing pieces, tail section etc off.
Just had it painted same color as the 66 Fairlane GT project.
Burnt Orange Metallic.
Have many farkles to swap form the '01 Connie that has 142k mi and some new stuff from murphskits. First Conie a '98 put 125k mi on it. Help. I'm adicted!

Danodemotoman screwed with this post 02-23-2012 at 12:29 AM
Danodemotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:24 AM   #5
redbastard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
idle hands...

After selling my KTM950 to get something a little lighter with easier maintenance I picked up this in the late fall.

First came the fork swap

Then I happend to stumble onto this bike convertion kit on ebay..

Here's what I've been up to..

Maybe I just ruined a prefectly nice BMW, but hopefully I've put together a bike with easy mainenece, smooth power and abouth 40 - 50 lbs lighter than stock. The small fuel tank isn't ideal , but hopefully with a little practice I'll be throughing this thing around like a dirt bike . I have today off and will be mouting up the knobby tires this morning, then maybe taking it out to test it's off road worthyness.
redbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:42 AM   #6
Smedley
sshhh, don't tell my wife

Oddometer: 150
Well.....I started with this:

And now I got this:

The plan is: Scott's triple and damper, front and rear suspension, brakes and rotors, chain and sprockets, second cooling fan, Fuzeblock, heated grips, EVO slave, battery and battery tender.....along with all the maintenance stuff (adjust valves, pumps, swingarm and head bearings...etc)

In a slight hold pattern now....can do the maint.....just gotta wait for word if I can do the upgrades

2004 950 Adventure (Thanks SASR)

2009 KLR 650
Smedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:00 AM   #7
redbastard
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smedley View Post

And now I got this:

The plan is: Scott's triple and damper, front and rear suspension, brakes and rotors, chain and sprockets, second cooling fan, Fuzeblock, heated grips, EVO slave, battery and battery tender.....along with all the maintenance stuff (adjust valves, pumps, swingarm and head bearings...etc)

In a slight hold pattern now....can do the maint.....just gotta wait for word if I can do the upgrades

Thanks for reminding me why I sold my KTM . What a fantastic machine to ride, but I had mine looking like this one too many times.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:03 AM   #8
redbastard
Beastly Adventurer

Rekluse !

Quote:
Originally Posted by n16ht5 View Post
cool old Honda. that windscreen looks more like a feedramp to your face lol.. I noticed on my windscreen that the closest to vertical I could get it the better it worked.

monday...

I installed a Rekluse like this on my last bike. You'll love it in traffic and in the woods.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:25 AM   #9
tommybelvedere OP
Adv alacarte'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danodemotoman View Post
New to me '05 Concours. Low mileage @ 16k.
Boring Beige
First thing, pull all the fairing pieces, tail section etc off.
Just had it painted same color as the 66 Fairlane GT project.
Burnt Orange Metallic.
Have many farkles to swap form the '01 Connie that has 142k mi and some new stuff from murphskits. First Conie a '98 put 125k mi on it. Help. I'm adicted!

I love that burnt orange look, should look nice on both those machines! I also love the 66 Fairlaine, had one right out of high school with the 390 big block what a blast!
Old 02-23-2012, 08:27 AM   #10
tommybelvedere OP
Adv alacarte'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smedley View Post

And now I got this:

Wow, you make my windshield install look like routine stuff! Major upgrade on that beast for sure.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:08 PM   #11
markwoodlief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by n16ht5 View Post

monday...

Chris.. thats looking like your Honda turned blue.. ..
Old 02-23-2012, 08:48 PM   #12
Mullet Bullet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
installed the new clarke tank

Check Out my Day Trips http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=753176
Mullet Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:06 PM   #13
guns_equal_freedom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,431
Nothing.
Both bikes run great.
guns_equal_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:18 PM   #14
donnh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
I'm working on thinking about installing the new chain i purchased on the F800, finish putting together the Norton Commando sitting on the lift and getting around to getting the steering stabilizer on the WR250R. Maybe this weekend!
donnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:19 PM   #15
peterman
cop magnet

Oddometer: 12,986
Maybe I just ruined a prefectly nice BMW, but hopefully I've put together a bike with easy mainenece, smooth power and abouth 40 - 50 lbs lighter than stock. The small fuel tank isn't ideal , but hopefully with a little practice I'll be throughing this thing around like a dirt bike . I have today off and will be mouting up the knobby tires this morning, then maybe taking it out to test it's off road worthyness.[/QUOTE]

FRIKKEN SWEET!
no kidding,, what a great looking beemer! like it oughta been,, machine guns and rocket launchers,they'll look right a home on that bike!
peterman is offline   Reply With Quote