ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Latin America
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-22-2012, 07:13 PM   #1
kindberg OP
MANA
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: GARLAND,TX.
Oddometer: 21
Planing a Solo South American Trip!

The Plan is to leave to South America September or October 2012 SOLO !
Anybody's advise wisdom and help would be greatly appreciated !
I just had my 50th. Birthday not to long ago and realized that life is to short to put it off any longer.
I will be riding a 09 KLR fully prepared already for the trip.
One of the things I am still missing is what kind of Gps maps and other maps are the best ones to buy.
I have the zumo 660 which I hope will be OK.
As soon as I figure out how to post some pictures of the bike I will,I am confused about the URL it is asking
to post the picture,if anyone has input that would be great.
Thanks everyone.

kindberg screwed with this post 02-22-2012 at 07:15 PM Reason: Fond not showing
kindberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:47 PM   #2
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico
 
Airhead Wrangler's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Back in Seattle, FINALLY
Oddometer: 6,281
Get something like garmin world map or the smelly biker world map for sort of a general not particularly accurate map, but then download all of the free open source maps for south america that are out there. There are really good ones for mexico, colombia, argentina, chile, brazil and venezuela. I haven't seen much for central, but then again I haven't looked in a while. The open source maps for argentina and chile are every bit as good as the garmin street maps for the US. Routable, every street with names, banks, hotels, gas stations, restaurants, etc. Really good quality and FREE.
__________________
R80ST Gets The HPN Treatment
Seattle to TDF on an airhead

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:30 PM   #3
kindberg OP
MANA
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: GARLAND,TX.
Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
Get something like garmin world map or the smelly biker world map for sort of a general not particularly accurate map, but then download all of the free open source maps for south america that are out there. There are really good ones for mexico, colombia, argentina, chile, brazil and venezuela. I haven't seen much for central, but then again I haven't looked in a while. The open source maps for argentina and chile are every bit as good as the garmin street maps for the US. Routable, every street with names, banks, hotels, gas stations, restaurants, etc. Really good quality and FREE.
Thanks Bud, first response to my post I will look that up!
kindberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:59 PM   #4
garrydymond
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Mex City
Oddometer: 216
Mex City

If you want to come to Mexico City. We will be happy to put you up and show you around.
__________________
http://sites.google.com/site/garryhostel/ Mexico City's Free Motorcycle Resort
garrydymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:35 AM   #5
kindberg OP
MANA
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: GARLAND,TX.
Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by garrydymond View Post
If you want to come to Mexico City. We will be happy to put you up and show you around.
Thanks, I am making notes as I get responses.
kindberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:30 AM   #6
moto-treks
Back Home
 
moto-treks's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Spokane Washington
Oddometer: 1,762
Here is a link to a comparison I did on south American maps before my trip to SA

http://www.moto-treks.com/gps-maps

I also had the free garmin world routeable map loaded as my base map.
__________________
Moto Trek'n to New York via the Trans Labrador Hwy, South America

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:55 AM   #7
Acampao
WInd Jammer
 
Acampao's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Southern Patagonia
Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindberg View Post
The Plan is to leave to South America September or October 2012 SOLO !
Anybody's advise wisdom and help would be greatly appreciated !
I just had my 50th. Birthday not to long ago and realized that life is to short to put it off any longer.
I will be riding a 09 KLR fully prepared already for the trip.
One of the things I am still missing is what kind of Gps maps and other maps are the best ones to buy.
I have the zumo 660 which I hope will be OK.
As soon as I figure out how to post some pictures of the bike I will,I am confused about the URL it is asking
to post the picture,if anyone has input that would be great.
Thanks everyone.
For Chile and Argentina, download the free Proyectomapear map. It´s far better than the one the Garmin' Chile rep will sell you. I believe it also has Perú and Uruguay info.
__________________
In action, timing is everything. Force doesn’t matter.
 Weight doesn’t matter.
 Even being morally right doesn’t matter.
 All that matters is timing.
Acampao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:29 PM   #8
Dusty_Bottoms
Adventurer Ordinaire
 
Dusty_Bottoms's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Oddometer: 710
Find Sgt Marty's RR

look on klr650.net
he did this trip and has a huge write up
Dusty_Bottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:09 PM   #9
Manolito
Patagonia guide
 
Manolito's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Argentina
Oddometer: 237
You can download the maps for the gps (Chile,Paraguay and Argentina) at : proyectomapear.com.ar
If there is something you need to know about Argentina, here I am.
Manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:59 PM   #10
mightymatt43
URALiNEED
 
mightymatt43's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Texas, USA
Oddometer: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolito View Post
You can download the maps for the gps (Chile,Paraguay and Argentina) at : proyectomapear.com.ar
If there is something you need to know about Argentina, here I am.
Hopefully this can be of some help to Kindberg, but I'm in Chile at the moment and am having trouble figuring out how to get insurance for my bike. Any advice on how to get something temporary when coming to Argentina?
mightymatt43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:13 PM   #11
Manolito
Patagonia guide
 
Manolito's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Argentina
Oddometer: 237
To ride through Chile, Brasil, Argentina,etc you will need that the insurance company covers you in the Mercosur (Argentina, Paraguay,Chile, Brasil, Uruguay and Bolivia).
All the argentinian companies I know uses 6 month periods, may be for foreigns it's differente. If you want I can PM you the phone numbers of insurance companies here in Argentina.
Manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:54 AM   #12
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer
 
MikeMike's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: South east Mexico
Oddometer: 3,918
If you are coming through Veracruz, let me know, I have some spare KLR parts from a few other riders who have come through.
Take for instance the rear brake bracket thing...
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:32 AM   #13
Misery Goat
Positating the negative
 
Misery Goat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Paradise Valley, AZ
Oddometer: 74,585
I rode Chile and Argentina with no insurance. Argentina is hit or miss on whether they ask for proof of insurance at the border. I wouldn't let not having insurance slow you down.
__________________
"So what you gonna do when the novelty is gone.."-- Joy Division

Same as it ever was


My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:46 AM   #14
Acampao
WInd Jammer
 
Acampao's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Southern Patagonia
Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misery Goat View Post
I rode Chile and Argentina with no insurance. Argentina is hit or miss on whether they ask for proof of insurance at the border. I wouldn't let not having insurance slow you down.
You cannot cross the border from Chile to Argentina without showing proof of insurance. That and the vehicle registration papers. Also a POA if it's not registered under your name.
__________________
In action, timing is everything. Force doesn’t matter.
 Weight doesn’t matter.
 Even being morally right doesn’t matter.
 All that matters is timing.
Acampao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:14 AM   #15
Misery Goat
Positating the negative
 
Misery Goat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Paradise Valley, AZ
Oddometer: 74,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acampao View Post
You cannot cross the border from Chile to Argentina without showing proof of insurance. That and the vehicle registration papers. Also a POA if it's not registered under your name.
I crossed from Chile to Argentina numerous times without being asked for proof of insurance. Like I said, it is hit or miss. The right attitude at the border goes a long way.
__________________
"So what you gonna do when the novelty is gone.."-- Joy Division

Same as it ever was


My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014