Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2012, 02:32 PM   #91
Kanook OP
Adventure zymologist

Oddometer: 364
I realized yesterday that V2R is two months away from today as I write this and being a part time dad with kids every other weekend I only have 4 weekends of riding available And trying to be a good husband I usually only ride one day on those free from kids weekends. I'd better find some riding time. Today I got out and had some great riding. I was able to get an early start 6:30 am and was able to do 128 miles and was back to the jeep by 1pm. Not race pace but a good mix of rock, whoops, and single track and I felt good and strong considering I had a pretty good get off trying to get pass Fano in a whoop section about 60 miles in. The trail got tight and and I nailed a tree trunk which sent me hurdling ass over teakettle. Smacked my head hard and bruised up my wrist and thigh. Fano wishes he had a helmet cam for that one. All in all I felt good and if it wasn't for the spill (and fathers day) I could have kept going. Will I be ready in 2 months? . Shit I hope so.
'71 SL100 custom
'65 cb160
Kanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 04:04 PM   #92
frog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanook View Post
I realized yesterday that V2R is two months away from today as I write this and being a part time dad with kids every other weekend I only have 4 weekends of riding available And trying to be a good husband I usually only ride one day on those free from kids weekends. I'd better find some riding time. Today I got out and had some great riding. I was able to get an early start 6:30 am and was able to do 128 miles and was back to the jeep by 1pm. Not race pace but a good mix of rock, whoops, and single track and I felt good and strong considering I had a pretty good get off trying to get pass Fano in a whoop section about 60 miles in. The trail got tight and and I nailed a tree trunk which sent me hurdling ass over teakettle. Smacked my head hard and bruised up my wrist and thigh. Fano wishes he had a helmet cam for that one. All in all I felt good and if it wasn't for the spill (and fathers day) I could have kept going. Will I be ready in 2 months? . Shit I hope so.

Your ready, plenty fast enough and fit enough. Just need to not get hurt between now and then.
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:08 PM   #93
Kanook OP
Adventure zymologist

I came home to a nice stack of boxes on the front porch. Expensive foam rubber :).
Thanks MX1 West. My new helmet from O'neal should be delivered tomorrow and a rectifier/regulator from Trailtech, to go with the HO stator Pilo gave me, should be here Thursday.
Damn this is getting serious. Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340161683.522402.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  95.0 KB
'71 SL100 custom
'65 cb160
Old 06-20-2012, 02:15 PM   #94
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 3,004
Quote:
I came home to a nice stack of boxes on the front porch. Expensive foam rubber :).
Thanks MX1 West.
Damn this is getting serious. Attachment 313616
Glad to see some of those are back in stock. They were completely out in mid April.

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:08 PM   #95
Kanook OP
Adventure zymologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Ron View Post
Glad to see some of those are back in stock. They were completely out in mid April.
Yep I've had my name on these ones for 2 months.

And today I received my new lid. I really liked the retro look of this helmet. It reminds me of when I first started riding and what the gear looked like in the '80's.
Thanks O'neal.
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340237300.284341.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  92.2 KB
'71 SL100 custom
'65 cb160
Old 06-23-2012, 04:48 PM   #96
pilo
Rhymes with below

Oddometer: 857
Hey Kanook,

One thought about the training. Baring some mechanical or unexpected get off, your certainly in shape at this point to finish the distance. From this point to the race your just training for finishing position and more important (at least at my age) you're training for the days after. You'll want the recovery to be swift!

Keep it up.
pilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:45 PM   #97
Kanook OP
Adventure zymologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilo View Post
Hey Kanook,

One thought about the training. Baring some mechanical or unexpected get off, your certainly in shape at this point to finish the distance. From this point to the race your just training for finishing position and more important (at least at my age) you're training for the days after. You'll want the recovery to be swift!

Keep it up.
Thanks Pilo.
I took the week of the race off from work but I'm going to try and at least get Monday off after the race just in case.

Tonight I'm trying to wrap up my high output stator and computer mounting. I think I enjoy wrenching more than racing. :)Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340768745.515727.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  51.3 KB
'71 SL100 custom
'65 cb160
Old 07-02-2012, 09:00 PM   #98
Kanook OP
Adventure zymologist

A little update on my progress.
I went out last thursday after work with gps mounted to the bars and found Pilo's loop out at Delle in Utah's west desert. A nice fun loop with a mix of everything. I did almost half of the first loop (out and back) 22 miles. And then went back to the jeep to meet a friend from work that wanted to ride. At this time of the day my Trail Tech Vapor was showing 108 deg and my friends truck was showing 104 I chugged way to much cold water waiting for Jason to gear up and started cramping, but luckily by the time i was ready to get back on the bike my stomach had settled. We took off and did the full loop, about 33 miles and then rode some of the track and whoop sections that Delle is known for. It was brutally hot but i need to get used to it.
Yesterday (sunday) i got up at 6am and was on the road towards Delle by 7. I got to the parking lot around 8 and was on the bike and heading out for the first loop by 8:20. I did 2 loops non stop and was feeling great. I was going to head out for a third pass but instead hooked up with a lone 68 year old rider and went and pounded through the whoops with him. This guy was quick for his age. He told me in '75 he led the Barstow to Vegas, start to finish on a Husky, a cool guy named Steve. We exchanged numbers so hopefully i can meet up with him again to ride or at least hear some cool stories.
At 10:30 i was back on the road towards home to grab a quick bite to eat and then get to Fano's house by noon so we could head east to the cool mountains where we would meet up with Frog and ride some technical single track. We met Frog at about 2pm in the mountains just above Heber and headed out. I hate single track. Especially when there is a slope on one side that would send you sliding hundreds of feet down the side of a mountain
We finished up that ride about 5pm and did 28 miles. So in total i did 98 miles but the big thing for me is that i was not fatigued or sore
This week i hope to go out for a few hours wednesday the 4th in the morning with Fano and then, unless i go out after work, i wont be back on the bike until the 15th.
Instead ill try to be on the spin trainer upstairs in front of the television and/or doing sit-ups
'71 SL100 custom
'65 cb160
Old 07-02-2012, 09:23 PM   #99
zack05
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
A little update on my progress.
I went out last thursday after work with gps mounted to the bars and found Pilo's loop out at Delle in Utah's west desert. A nice fun loop with a mix of everything. I did almost half of the first loop (out and back) 22 miles. And then went back to the jeep to meet a friend from work that wanted to ride. At this time of the day my Trail Tech Vapor was showing 108 deg and my friends truck was showing 104 I chugged way to much cold water waiting for Jason to gear up and started cramping, but luckily by the time i was ready to get back on the bike my stomach had settled. We took off and did the full loop, about 33 miles and then rode some of the track and whoop sections that Delle is known for. It was brutally hot but i need to get used to it.
Yesterday (sunday) i got up at 6am and was on the road towards Delle by 7. I got to the parking lot around 8 and was on the bike and heading out for the first loop by 8:20. I did 2 loops non stop and was feeling great. I was going to head out for a third pass but instead hooked up with a lone 68 year old rider and went and pounded through the whoops with him. This guy was quick for his age. He told me in '75 he led the Barstow to Vegas, start to finish on a Husky, a cool guy named Steve. We exchanged numbers so hopefully i can meet up with him again to ride or at least hear some cool stories.
At 10:30 i was back on the road towards home to grab a quick bite to eat and then get to Fano's house by noon so we could head east to the cool mountains where we would meet up with Frog and ride some technical single track. We met Frog at about 2pm in the mountains just above Heber and headed out. I hate single track. Especially when there is a slope on one side that would send you sliding hundreds of feet down the side of a mountain
We finished up that ride about 5pm and did 28 miles. So in total i did 98 miles but the big thing for me is that i was not fatigued or sore
This week i hope to go out for a few hours wednesday the 4th in the morning with Fano and then, unless i go out after work, i wont be back on the bike until the 15th.
Instead ill try to be on the spin trainer upstairs in front of the television and/or doing sit-ups
Sounds like just the right stuff for training. Nice to rack up some miles and feel good after!
zack05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:48 PM   #100
pilo
Rhymes with below

Oddometer: 857
Awesome
pilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:07 PM   #101
Kanook OP
Adventure zymologist

I can't believe I'm already needing a new tire. I was hoping this last one would get me to the beginning of August but no. Had to order two new rears. One for now and one for V2R. Oh and one for steve, I'm borrowing his wheels as spares so I want fresh rubber there also.
One of these will be ripping through the Nevada desert in August. :)
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341367671.465266.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  137.1 KB
'71 SL100 custom
'65 cb160

Kanook screwed with this post 07-03-2012 at 09:00 PM
Old 07-04-2012, 04:09 AM   #102
drc42
Rally Dreamer

Oddometer: 1,745
What your plan for inside of those Maxis tires? HD Tubes our mousse?

Are you running a matching Maxis up front? I assume mousse there.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:50 AM   #103
Kanook OP
Adventure zymologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc42 View Post
What your plan for inside of those Maxis tires? HD Tubes our mousse?

Are you running a matching Maxis up front? I assume mousse there.
I'm going to run the Mefo mousses I got from MX1 West front and back and for my front tire I'm going to use the Dunlop mx71
'71 SL100 custom
'65 cb160
Old 07-13-2012, 05:22 PM   #104
Kanook OP
Adventure zymologist

here is my spot info
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...GxrAoSmYSjpihX

Im heading out tonight to meet Pilo and do some more night riding. This should be tiring after a long day at work
'71 SL100 custom
'65 cb160
Old 07-15-2012, 07:10 AM   #105
c.vestal
Rally On

Oddometer: 4,826
Way to go MX1-WEST!

Quote:
Thanks MX1 West. My new helmet from O'neal should be delivered tomorrow and a rectifier/regulator from Trailtech, to go with the HO stator Pilo gave me, should be here Thursday.
Damn this is getting serious. Attachment 313616
c.vestal is offline   Reply With Quote