User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2014, 08:16 PM   #1
larryboy OP
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 15,169
Dirtbag Challenge 2014

There is this thing called the Dirtbag Challenge that is held every year in San Francisco. I've gone to watch the madness several times and it's a ton of fun. I looked around the garage a couple weeks back and realized that I have enough junk stacking up here that I could probably build something without spending any real amount of money.

The rules...

30 day build, $1,000 budget, ride a 100 mile loop and make it back to the burnout zone to be judged by your fellow dirtbags.

They gave the GO! yesterday!! So, I ordered a set of triple trees to fit my free donor bike. A co-worker stole the complete front end and rear wheel for his Sportster build, he brought me what's left with some old YZ490 junk to use so I can roll it around.

YZ490 stuff is free to any ADV'er, pay shipping or come pick it up...front drum brake wheel, complete front end and a rear wheel.

The victim:

I had a set of Harley wheels that I've been tripping over for years and got a free tire from the junk pile at my Honda dealer.

Ok, it's gonna be a bobber.

Unkown condition 1997 Suzuki RM250...pulled plug, makes sparks, poured some gas into the cylinder, threw the plug back in real quick, kicked her and she ran. Good enough for me.

Swingarm bolt frozen...goodbye swingarm.

One hour later it's time to build.

This thing is gonna be really low and I don't want to be taking it on/off the lift all damn day, so I'm going to build it on the floor at ride height.

Free tank from another co-worker, I hope it doesn't leak...the whole thing is centered around this tank.

Free seat from a bike I don't own any longer.

Hey, wait a minute...that wadded up Bandit frame over there has the same shape to the frame as this seat...

I kind of fit?

Shorter is better?

The tank looks dumb up there and the backbone is too big for the tank to drop down onto it. If it wasn't painted already I'd cut the tunnel out...

Fence post I found at the dump the last time I took a load.

Yeah, that's better.

Tomorrow I decide on long or short rear section because I'm going to finish the hard tail. A buddy just offered me a free fender, so I might leave enough room for it...won't see the fender until next week, but it might be nice to have a place to carry extra fuel...I'm gonna ride 120 miles to the event, their 100 mile loop, two hours of burnouts, then ride it 120 miles home and that's a tiny fuel tank.

Old 10-18-2014, 10:16 PM   #2
Nixels
Face fears - live life

Oddometer: 7,831
The rules say 30 days & $1,000.

At this rate you're gonna spend about a dollar two eighty and be done by next weekend. They might take off points if you build it too fast and cheap.

SmugMug coupon: cwbkgu7KGL2D2/save $5
Nixels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 11:10 PM   #3
SFMCjohn

Oddometer: 918
Thumb Epic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixels View Post
The rules say 30 days & $1,000.

At this rate you're gonna spend about a dollar two eighty and be done by next weekend. They might take off points if you build it too fast and cheap.

2Fast&Cheeeep! Prolly 2Far2 ...

Wonder if they give a long-distance dB rider trophy?

see you in the parking lot!
-- SFMCjohn
IBA#'98onaEX500
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 11:40 PM   #4
Radioman
Moto rider

Oddometer: 5,203
some guys have all the talent!

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 12:03 AM   #5
Te Hopo
AKA Deanohit

Oddometer: 1,694
I love these sort of challenge builds, and this one looks like it's gonna have a whole bunch of cool
Te Hopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 07:37 AM   #6
UpST8
turnin gas to noise

Oddometer: 7,275
This is cool! Can't wait to see the final product

cRAzY
UpST8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 02:34 PM   #7
Cycles
Rider

Oddometer: 65
The bike is coming together nicely and it looks like it will be a thing of beauty. Subscribed.
Old 10-19-2014, 03:54 PM   #8
CamoGreg
Can you see me?

Oddometer: 5,256
I think we should change your name to Larrybob after this build
CamoGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 07:20 PM   #9
larryboy OP
Chopper Rider

I see we have all the usual suspects.

Well, I worked my ass off today and it didn't seem like I made a lot of progress. Oh well.

Got the gas cap mounted.

Picked up a stick of 6061($35) yesterday to make axles, made one and realized I don't have any bolts for the size hole I just tapped.

Made another one...

I like when a project is at this stage, when I need to think about one part of the bike I can work on something else. Lots of smoothing and grinding today, little notches here and there that you don't really notice.

Waaay overkill...1.75 DOM, .188 wall...free.

The chain WILL be making a straight shot, no jack shafts.

Cleaned this dump with the help of the Missus.

A guy at work is going to loan me some triple trees until mine come in later this week so I can mock up the front end...leading link.

I need to figure out how to open up the center of my rotors to fit the newer style of wheels, bolt pattern is the same. Free rotors, thanks Benjava, miss you dude.

I'm going to whittle out an adapter to fit a free 37 tooth rear spocket and it appears that I have thrown away all of my mockup chains...I'll steal a brand new one that is for another project bike.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:40 PM   #10
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,574
Well this got interesting quick..
Originally Posted by POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)
From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks. Get with the program!
GI_JO_NATHAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:53 PM   #11
Nixels
Face fears - live life

Oddometer: 7,831
Is that the geriatric ergonomic gas cap for your arthritic old-man hands?

I love the overkill tubing on the lower rigid frame.

Benjava's always lurkin' and comin' out to say hi. Yesterday I was just telling somebody about that whack job's KLR ways.

Don't paint that lower tubing, just clear coat it so the white specification type shows up.

I'm glad you don't have ALL the parts - I wanna come by and see it in the build state - not already done!

SmugMug coupon: cwbkgu7KGL2D2/save $5
Nixels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 05:33 AM   #12
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,971
For extra points, don't just do burnouts. Everybody does burnouts there.
Do a Pastrana modified.
Start with the standard burnout, let go of all common sense, fly up the pre-positioned ramp, complete the first ever Dirt Bag backflip.
Show Stopper !
bk brkr baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 08:04 AM   #13
larryboy OP
Chopper Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixels View Post
I'm glad you don't have ALL the parts - I wanna come by and see it in the build state - not already done!
You'd better hurry and get over here, the goal is to ride it by this Saturday, then start on electrics. No charging system on this bike, ignition only...hmmm.

Yeah, backflips so I can save the tire for the ride home.

Can't do this and ride it 120 miles home:

However, Mrs LarryBoy will be there with her car and I have an extra free 16" tire thanks to Benjava.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:19 AM   #14
larryboy OP
Chopper Rider

Free hand plasma cut, 1/2" cold rolled plate. I can find center easily with the four old mounting holes, then use one of my rotors for a template to drill the five mounting holes, then find my offset to match the engine and weld the adapter to the sprocket, then use the final piece as a jig to drill the rotor centers to match the hubs. Simple.

Loaner triple trees have fat bars risers on them, now I don't have to ream 7/8" risers to fit my free Ducati handlebars, brake master free too.

Now to figure this out:

I'm thinking of running the tubes straight without the bend, mainly because I don't want to damage my bender, it isn't designed to bend thicker than .134 and this tubing is .188, plus straight tubes make it appear to be raked more. Maybe I'll do some sort of springer fork rather than leading link?
Old 10-21-2014, 08:31 AM   #15
Dyno
Conquistador

Oddometer: 1,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Now to figure this out:

I'm thinking of running the tubes straight without the bend, mainly because I don't want to damage my bender, it isn't designed to bend thicker than .134 and this tubing is .188, plus straight tubes make it appear to be raked more. Maybe I'll do some sort of springer fork rather than leading link?

Maybe use the tubing notcher to, well, notch the tube. Weld instead of bend it, make the mount for the shocks out of plates that also gusset the back of the tubes?
Dyno is offline   Reply With Quote