Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2012, 06:08 AM   #91
Phattyre-Phready2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Good move!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsman View Post
Yes it's the left one.....and if you look, I drive a vette, it's cheaper than a wife, and my girlfriend will be the monkey......lol.

You see I got my papers.......it called a freedom document, or divorce decree.........I can even carry multiple girlfriends, as long as they don't fight....
In shrink think, your left side represents the feminine side... and... yep ... after that last post, shrinks would say you might need to get in touch with your femininity! FYI... my right side is beat all to hell??? No steel rods or pins like you, but I've had my right arm in a cast 3 times and can acurately predict weather changes by it! No cows stepped on my hand, but a bird flew by and shit on me once... hit me on my right ADV salute/ bone thrower! When I told my out of work shrink buddy about it, he just shrugged and said, "You're screwed, dude!"

If that Z 06 vette is cheaper than your wife... you did the right thing getting a divorce! If that was the case, yo Mama was spending WAY too much money!

And a little friendly advice from Phread.... your current girlfriend most likely won't like the sharing thing OR being called a monkey!?? BTW...you said she's purty earlier in the report?

And don't call me Shirley!

I would'a put it this way... "my gal's puppy dog will ride in the sidecar with the luggage... I want her holding on tight to me!"

Phattyre-Phready2 screwed with this post 03-09-2012 at 05:45 PM Reason: misspelled femininity
Phattyre-Phready2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:33 AM   #92
sandsman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
Yes she is a purty one.

Yes she is a "purty" one. I am so blessed to have her with me, plus she is an LVN. Which is good to have on the road for the times when I pass out (pretend) so she can resesitate me. And she is a petite lil lady, that is the reason I decided to hack the Intruder, she is only 4' 10".

So keep the comments clean, she has never been on a bike til now. She can't wait to go on the west coast trip in July. Gonna ride up to Beavers Bend SP on spring break. Peace out brotha.....she's texting me.
I got a real good feeling something bad is about to happen,
sandsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:42 AM   #93
Phattyre-Phready2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Welcome, I'll be nice now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsman View Post
Yes she is a "purty" one. I am so blessed to have her with me, plus she is an LVN. Which is good to have on the road for the times when I pass out (pretend) so she can resesitate me. And she is a petite lil lady, that is the reason I decided to hack the Intruder, she is only 4' 10".

So keep the comments clean, she has never been on a bike til now. She can't wait to go on the west coast trip in July. Gonna ride up to Beavers Bend SP on spring break. Peace out brotha.....she's texting me.
You silver togue devil, you... you wudn't kiddn', huh!

Phattyre-Phready2 screwed with this post 03-09-2012 at 07:56 AM
Old 03-08-2012, 04:33 PM   #94
Phattyre-Phready2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I ride south after the butt chewing and can feel my heartbeat in my temples. I stop and take a few deep breaths... then some more... I begin to feel the peace and serenity of this awesome place and the bp returns to my borderline normal level. Guys like that aren't healthy for me to be around!

I think about how I can avoid these situations... what did I do to get in that situation? I get an epiphany!

Imagine, if you will...
Gate attendant ranger on the short wave radio: "Hey Little Barney... just had an old greybearded man that rolled out of here on a BIG motorcycle... he ignored my advice to stay off Old Maverick. He even saluted me like a smartass! Must've been in the Air Force? Had Stars and Bars on his bike... you can't miss him! You owe me one man... go rustle his feathers... I know you can. You're a pro at that! We both know that's why they sent us to this god forsaken hellhole!

Anyone else have these "that's probably what happened moments" like this? Ones' that seem so real, they almost become real in your memory? Or maybe that's just me...

Then I feel it... and the pull of the canyon makes me forget Don, Jr. temporarily.

I turn off at the Terlingua Abajo sign (can't find the pic... I know I took a pic of the cool sign!) and the rocks turn black for a little ways. A layer of lava in the ever changing strata.

This is the only sketchy part to get to Terlingua Abajo. The rest is easy... when dry.

and just above that... just remember, photos don't convey how steep the terrain actually is sometimes. My butt never tried to munch my Hanes through here, but I quit sightseeing and focused on my line! The eyes lead...

Lots of strange formations right beside the road! I'd like to climb this one, but I feel like I'm being watched? The little twerp had a gun... and the world is full of psycho cases nowadays. I resist the temptation and ride on. Breathe deeply... think happy thoughts... man, that thing would be fun to play on with a mtb! But... Barney Fife II won't go away, just like a case of Old Mexico cooties! You know how confrontations leave you stuck in that moment... that's what's going on in my world right then... I try to laugh it off. He'd use that sidearm and blow anyone away if he saw 'em on his favorite rock! This thought triggers a chill that makes me shiver in warm temps, and I'm covered in goosebumps... not just my arms this time!

Hey, Shorty... you still on duty at West Gate? Send the sheriff... that old greybeard jet jockey just jumped me and I had to shoot him!

This thought honestly and truly, no shit Sherlock, beleib me now or belieb me lator... spooked me! No more speeding or even slightly bending any more rules! I have no witnesses here... no one to tell my side... it's 2 against 0... I lose!!! It had been a long time since I'd had the willies like that and never brought on by my own imagination before.

I realize Mayberry goes way back in time, but I figure TV Land or Nostalgia channel will cover the age gap and the younger generation will know who Barney Fife is? If there really were a Barney Fife in real life, he probably would've become a psychopathic murderer when someone beat Andy for the sheriff position! Old Otis, the town drunk, would've wound up getting Andy in trouble for not padding the city funds with DUI monies daily. Enough with Barney, already! How about more Gilberto!

The Luna's did most of their trading at Terlingua Abajo... residents from Old Mexico would make the crossing or come by boat up Terlingua Creek if it had just rained big. Cowtown Patty didn't speak of it, but I imagine the Luna women were busy doing crafts that could be bartered for essentials they didn't produce themselves... sugar, coffee, genuine micho akan seed... hey, gotta' uphold the rep, man! Got 39 mouths to feed!!! Can you imagine the burden Gilbert must've felt?! This scenario makes the Showtime series 'Weed' pale by comparison.

As I ponder the old jaloppy, I wonder if it might've belonged to Gilberto. The fender style says it's probably old enough?

Even if not Gilberto's, odds are good it belonged to a Luna!

I snap a shot of the only empty campsite... I can't even take a picture of campsites if there are people in them??? More of that invasion of privacy thing, I suppose?

You can see the sites are well spaced... that pickup's the nearest neighbor. You can also see my 'Sidi' raingauge was inaccurate. Just a sprinkle... and still no measurable rainfall here. As for campsite scenery, these have an excellent view to the south... looks like a canyon. Let's go check it out!

Phattyre-Phready2 screwed with this post 03-09-2012 at 10:30 AM Reason: msipellde epiphany ;)
Old 03-08-2012, 04:44 PM   #95
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 19,176
Really enjoying your pictures and report! Thanks for posting.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:14 PM   #96
SKINNY
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phattyre-Phready2 View Post
If I ever go back, I'll stay at Terlingua Ranch. It's more centrally located and closer to gas and supplies. You can camp there for $5.00 per person, which includes use of the swimming pool and shower house. It's right off of 170, my new favorite 50 mile stretch of highway! They only have 200,000 acres, but you're allowed to walk on any one of 'em!
The lodge and swimming pool at Terlingua Ranch is 16 miles north of Study Butte and 16 miles east of Hwy 170....it's not close to anything....there is no gas available and more than a few of the residents who live there are more insufferable than the Barney Fife park ranger you met...riding anywhere in that area has been a source of major contention for years, and is currently being decided in court.....
SKINNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:14 PM   #97
Phattyre-Phready2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Local knowledge... yes, please!

Thanks for the correction, SKINNY! My bad! I went to their site the other day and never did the 'How to get here' link, I guess? I must've just associated it with Terlingua Ghost Town, which is where I thought the road to the ranch was when I posted the bad info. I google mapped it just now and it's 33 miles by road from Study Butte and takes 1 hour, so must be rough roads in from 118? BTW... you must've meant 16 miles east of 118 instead of 170, which runs east/west... just sayin', for people trying to map it.

What's up with all the insufferable types around there?? I ran into several in the NP... you mention several on Terlingua Ranch!?? What're the Big Bend Ranch State Park employees like, generally speaking? I see you can ride motorcycles on the trails there... if they're street legal??? Why street legal... their way of letting motorcycles in and keeping handlebar equipped 4 wheelers out, I'm guessing?

I saw some campsites between highway 170 and the river just east of a roadside park with teepee looking shelters. Know anything about those?

Phattyre-Phready2 screwed with this post 03-08-2012 at 06:52 PM Reason: corrected the correction
Old 03-08-2012, 06:33 PM   #98
Phattyre-Phready2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Lurker... NOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot View Post
Really enjoying your pictures and report! Thanks for posting.
Thanks for the compliments, Cannonshot... means a lot coming from someone nearing 10,000 posts here on ADV!
Old 03-08-2012, 07:14 PM   #99
Phattyre-Phready2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Lurker... NOT!

whoops, repeat ... must've hit submit twice on the last post?

Phattyre-Phready2 screwed with this post 03-08-2012 at 07:17 PM Reason: tried to get rid of repeated post
Old 03-08-2012, 07:29 PM   #100
SKINNY
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
Quote:
Thanks for the correction, SKINNY! My bad! I went to their site the other day and never did the 'How to get here' link, I guess? I must've just associated it with Terlingua Ghost Town, which is where I thought the road to the ranch was when I posted the bad info. I google mapped it just now and it's 33 miles by road from Study Butte and takes 1 hour, so must be rough roads in from 118? BTW... you must've meant 16 miles east of 118 instead of 170, which runs east/west... just sayin', for people trying to map it.

What's up with all the insufferable types around there?? I ran into several in the NP... you mention several on Terlingua Ranch!?? What're the Big Bend Ranch State Park employees like, generally speaking? I see you can ride motorcycles on the trails there... if they're street legal??? Why street legal... their way of letting motorcycles in and keeping handlebar equipped 4 wheelers out, I'm guessing?

I saw some campsites between highway 170 and the river just east of a roadside park with teepee looking shelters. Know anything about those?

You are correct about the ranch being east of Hwy 118...brain fart...
Big Bend Ranch State Park is still a work in progress as far as motorcycles are concerned...we were banned until about 2 years ago...after much lobbying by various groups, we were allowed to ride most of the roads that 4WD was already allowed on......go figure...so far, the park staff is pretty easy to get along with, but they have their rules, just like the national park dudes.
You can reserve a bunk at Sauceda (ranch headquarters) or camp in any of the designated camp sites...the sites you saw along Hwy 170 are all State Park camp sites...reservations are required on all of them...
SKINNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:38 PM   #101
Phattyre-Phready2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So why street legal...

Kinda' costly to make dirtbikes street legal just so they can ride 4wd backroads? Any singletrack out there, SKINNY?

Wierd... I just got an email notification that Cannonshot replied to this string and explained the DOT requirements. I refreshed and it's still not here yet. Thanks in advance, Cannonshot!

I'd elaborate, but Cannonshot explains it well... should show up here soon? I received the email notification at 8:47...

Phattyre-Phready2 screwed with this post 03-08-2012 at 08:03 PM
Old 03-08-2012, 08:48 PM   #102
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,755
We just got back from BB a week ago.
This is the third year in a row I've gone down there, I absolutely love it.
We were on dual sports, so we mostly road the gravel roads. The state park is a blast, we all went up king kong hill to a camp site on a canyon edge, great views. I will post a pic, if you don't mind a hijack..
In regards to the strange folks at Terlingua Ranch.. We had a guy that had a pretty bad get off in there.. On Marathon Rd. We had to wait for a ambulance for a bit. (3 cracked ribs, a broken collar bone, and shoulder blade). He went over the bars.. While we were waiting, a guy I believe living in a very small trailer drove up to lecture us about leaving empty beer cans etc on his property.. Really? After that I was trying to find some trash to leave there..
When you go back with your DRZ, don't miss, Black Gap, and Old Ore, they are great.
I love all the pics you took. We hardly ever stopped..
Luckily we didn't run into Barney down there either.. 45 mph, I thought was suggested, ha
Great RR, I like the way you tell the story..

Jeff
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:53 PM   #103
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 19,176
Quote:
Kinda' costly to make dirtbikes street legal just so they can ride 4wd backroads? Any singletrack out there, SKINNY?

Wierd... I just got an email notification that Cannonshot replied to this string and explained the DOT requirements. I refreshed and it's still not here yet. Thanks in advance, Cannonshot!

I'd elaborate, but Cannonshot explains it well... should show up here soon? I received the email notification at 8:47...
Texas regs. State Parks require a DOT license in Texas. This is why DS motorcycles and 4WD can run the primitive roads in BBRSP but ATVs and unlicensed OHM cannot.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:06 PM   #104
GhostRiderFC
Just a guy who rides

Oddometer: 315
Quote:
Sorry about the vent, but it's hard to be positive when faced with situations such as this. I almost skipped this part because of the negativity, but GhostRiderFC deserves to know, as well as other inmates considering a trip here! Knowing what to expect makes it easier to deal with and plan accordingly.
Yeah, thanks for including it. It's entirely possible that my big mouth would get me into trouble.

Lots of great pics and info. Really enjoying it.

IBA #: 48128
My First Ride Report - Summer 2012
My Spotwalla
GhostRiderFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:39 PM   #105
Phattyre-Phready2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

From one Jeff to another...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildwoodMOCruiser View Post
We just got back from BB a week ago.
This is the third year in a row I've gone down there, I absolutely love it.
We were on dual sports, so we mostly road the gravel roads. The state park is a blast, we all went up king kong hill to a camp site on a canyon edge, great views. I will post a pic, if you don't mind a hijack..
In regards to the strange folks at Terlingua Ranch.. We had a guy that had a pretty bad get off in there.. On Marathon Rd. We had to wait for a ambulance for a bit. (3 cracked ribs, a broken collar bone, and shoulder blade). He went over the bars.. While we were waiting, a guy I believe living in a very small trailer drove up to lecture us about leaving empty beer cans etc on his property.. Really? After that I was trying to find some trash to leave there..
When you go back with your DRZ, don't miss, Black Gap, and Old Ore, they are great.
I love all the pics you took. We hardly ever stopped..
Great RR, I like the way you tell the story..

Jeff
If you've been following from the start, you should know I'm agreeable to small hijacks... besides, I'd get flamed now if I said no! We ALL want to see King Kong's Lair! And surely you took a picture of your friend's crash bike while you're uploading? You kind of left us hanging on how ya'll got his bike out since he was in an ambulance. Not a hijack... curious minds want to know and it's right on target as far as the subject matter!

Sorry to hear about your buddy's spill... sounds like a high speed get off? I don't envy that ambulance wait, either. Anybody have any ibuprofen or such? Those kinda' waiting minutes feel like hours... then some dipstick falsely accuses you of littering... bet that was hard to take! Shoulda' told him you thought he might need some house patches!

It sounds like the locals like their privacy... probably why they chose there to live?

And many thanks for the tips and kind words... from one Jeff to another! Seriously, I'm Jeff when I'm driving a cage.

Phattyre-Phready2 screwed with this post 03-09-2012 at 12:27 PM Reason: An 'I shoulda' said' addition