Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2012, 08:26 AM   #31
Dieseldog13
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
I have a pair of Danners for bird hunting (many miles of walking every day) that are 12-15 years old. By far the best boot that I have ever worn. Well made and very comfortable.
Dieseldog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:56 AM   #32
Ladukebob
lost in hood river

Oddometer: 1,614
I've worn Rainforest's for going on 12 years I think. Been through about 4 pairs. Place I used to work had a yearly clothing budget of $300. I used it it to buy a new pair of boots. They'll last for years of hard use but usually started to leak after about 6 months. I work a lot around and in streams so my boots were in the water a lot of hours a day. I found that if you take care of them they will hold well, this stuff works the best in my opinion-
https://www.obenaufs.com/index.php?r...&product_id=49

I buy them because I like that they are made in Portland.

I finally broke down and bought a pair of Muckboots-
http://muckboots.com/Merchant2/merch...tegory_Code=OS

Warm as hell and feel like slippers on your feet.
findLadukebob
Ladukebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:49 AM   #33
Motomantra
Registered Lurker

Oddometer: 1,055
Ladukebob...

Is there a place local to us that has the Obenaufs?
Old 02-28-2012, 10:15 AM   #34
Ladukebob
lost in hood river

Oddometer: 1,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomantra View Post
Is there a place local to us that has the Obenaufs?
Not sure about the Portland area. Last time I got some was at D&B Supply

http://mydbsupply.com/

When I was passing through Pendleton last year. Before that I used to buy it locally at a logging repair shop.
findLadukebob
Ladukebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:23 PM   #35
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
4 Pair of Danners, good boots. I ride in a pair of Chippewas but tucked up under the heads of a goldwing seemed to dry them out a little. I shoulda took better care of them. Mine are going on 10 years old. Next pair will probably be Danners American mades

The chips
http://www.chippewaboots.com/boots/safety_toe/27422

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:19 PM   #36
DualSport855
what he said

Oddometer: 65
I have been riding with Danner Ft Lewis for 33,000 km's and love them. I wanted a boot that I could walk out of the bush with if my KLR let me down. I haven't had to do that but the boots keep me dry, warm and secure. IMHO they are perfect for my style of adventure.

"This is such a phenomenal place to be. I'm an adult busy working, but the little boy in me is screaming and running around and laughing." ISS Commander Chris Hadfield
DualSport855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:39 PM   #37
ShoelessJoe
DefromisSedSupendium

Oddometer: 108
Boots

I have been a huge user of Danner boots while in the military. Was a loyal fan until I dropped by the red wing store. Have a look as these before you decide:

http://www.basspro.com/Irish-Setter-...ing_googlebase

Find a red wing store and try them. They will measure your feet and get the right size for your foot. Comfortable from the start.
ShoelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:40 PM   #38
TALLGUY
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Quarry- brown with regular toe. Heavily treated with Danner boot dressing. Good in the timber when cutting a splitting, good for standing on the bike for colorado trails and other. No other maintenance. Always waterproof.

Stryker- for more profesional work and long hours standing. Plastic eyelets with dont get sharp and east laces like the old brass ones did.

The Quarry is not a light weight boot, but it does offer good protection when you run your foot and ankle across bark or a footpeg. I will get the black steel toe version next time.

Below is the new version. mine are old and a little different.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:25 AM   #39
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldog13 View Post
I have a pair of Danners for bird hunting (many miles of walking every day) that are 12-15 years old. By far the best boot that I have ever worn. Well made and very comfortable.
I picked up the Striker II for this purpose,

High shank

Waterproof

Light weight with fabric panels

Gore-Tex

Non-Insulated.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:34 PM   #40
68deluxe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,387
I have decided to bite the bullet and get a pair, I have narrowed it down to one of the hot weather desert styles with a steel toe. Only problem is I cannot find any stores here that carry them. Even the BX and clothing store at Luke AFB does not have them. I hate to order without trying them on, my feet are narrow and the left is nearly 1/2 size bigger than the right.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:38 PM   #41
JaxObsessed
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 10,181
Been wearing danners every day for over a coupla decades. They have changed over the years a bit, but their best rebuildable boots are still made in Portland. I love my insulated Rainforests and my Lite 2s. BUT these are not really riding boots. There is no armor except the optional toe cap. I am an armor fan and really only feel comfortable riding in my Sidi, Alpinestars, or thor MX boots.
with all that said, I use my Danners for commuting short distances, and they would be a real substantive step up from regular shoes, sneakers, or light Chinese hikers.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:37 AM   #42
PARIAH
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by TALLGUY View Post
Quarry- brown with regular toe. Heavily treated with Danner boot dressing. Good in the timber when cutting a splitting, good for standing on the bike for colorado trails and other. No other maintenance. Always waterproof.

Stryker- for more profesional work and long hours standing. Plastic eyelets with dont get sharp and east laces like the old brass ones did.

The Quarry is not a light weight boot, but it does offer good protection when you run your foot and ankle across bark or a footpeg. I will get the black steel toe version next time.

I've got the Quarry with the alloy toe. Comfortable and well built.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:44 PM   #43
smokediver3
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Working on wearing out 3 pairs of Danners currently-Quarry's,Recon's, and RAT's. I had a pair of Ft Lewis' when I was in the Corps, but was only allowed to wear them in the field(well above and beyond the plain leather combat boot sI was issued!). I've never had an issue with any of them. All have held up being waterproof and comfortable. I'm getting ready to send the Recon's back for a resole, but can't make any complaints about any of them. The RAT's do tend to be a little better in the warmer weather(they are the temperate model, not the hot weather) than the others that are all leather, but I've never minded wearing an insulated boot. Someone posted about Redwing's earlier, and they too are a good boot. I had a pair I wore at the FD for almost 12 years and 3 soles and can't complain about them either. I will say that when the Warrington Pros that I'm wearing at work now wear out, I'll definitely be leaning towards a pair of Danners.
smokediver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:18 PM   #44
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 6,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by TALLGUY View Post

I bought a pair of these. Surprised me when they came I saw the tag marked "Made in China". They still seem well made though and I ride to work in them as well as work all day in them. Only fault I found, besides where it was made, is the stitching going from the back of the heel up the ankle. It's very abrasive and caused me alot of irritation and even wore out a pair of wool socks at that spot.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:28 PM   #45
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 6,992
Here are my hard working Danners.

Tag of shame.

Trouble spot. Abrasive stitching.

Lot's of miles.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"