Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2012, 09:52 PM   #31
pluric OP
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,530
So it's off to Coco's Corner. I was so surprised to see this boat out here I pulled up
to take a photo while still looking at the boat and washed the front end out.
I just remember the music stopping and a jerk on my helmet as the earplugs got yanked
from me being thrown off the side. Gave the side bag some, ahhhh, character?

Coco was in and wheeling around on his quad.

A fellow Utard Warp9man was down a few weeks before us and noticed Coco needed
an electrical part for his solar system. He bought one for Coco and asked Ken to make
sure he got it. Ken wanted a similar pomp and ceremony as the Royal Wedding for
the presentation, not quite, but the thought was there. Thanks Warp9!!!

I know these shots have been posted to the point of enough is enough, humor a first timer.

The underwear ceiling.

Wind chime fence.

Eric and Stephan join us.

Of course you have to sign the book after Coco told us of his hospital
experience. I did learn the Spanish or slang word for penis. I now know
four Spanish words. One that will really get me in trouble.

I was surprised after telling Coco he would have to pay me for being in this
photo because I was a famous gringo he wouldn't do it. Some people's kids.

I am not proud to admit I used this. The other option was the open air one.
Pride and ego went out the door years ago.

pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:47 AM   #32
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,559
Some supplemental photos of the Algodones crossing.....

The group serenade on the south end of the San Felipe malecon.....which is under construction.....not the only malecon undergoing renovation BTW.

Kiki's version of palapa camping......10 feet in the air.....

The observant motocyclistas among you will note the D908 on the KTM....one reason for the Yuma starting point, as well as the reason you won't see pics of it taking a rest in the dirt.........

Morning on the beach below Kiki's...........

When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:50 AM   #33
pchGS
Mark

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
So it's off to Coco's Corner. I was so surprised to see this boat out here I pulled up
to take a photo while still looking at the boat and washed the front end out.
I just remember the music stopping and a jerk on my helmet as the earplugs got yanked
from me being thrown off the side. Gave the side bag some, ahhhh, character?

Shit still breaking it in I see! Hey, at least you claim them...
pchGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:56 AM   #34
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Our goal for the first week was to arrive in La Paz on Friday for Carnaval....the southern version of Mardi Gras....so I had tentatively planned a route running from the Sea of Cortez to the Pacific and then in to La Paz....for beasts.....even though the KTM was prepared for more dirt.....

What we discovered is that many of the routes taken last year on the thumper ride are freshly graded and being prepped for pavement.....if you want to get to Coco's before that happens, you're running out of time.....I've heard that the paved route will bypass him by a mile or two......

First casualty on the KTM was the right side KTM folding mirror....I felt a bump on my forearm and realized it was gone several miles before Coco's....maybe it will end up in his collection.......no harm, no foul.........
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:31 AM   #35
pluric OP
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchGS View Post
Shit still breaking it in I see! Hey, at least you claim them...
Breaking it in is an understatement. I've not dropped a big bike in years. This trip made up
for that and then some. So worth it though.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:16 PM   #36
Todd-Squad
See Ya, Bye.

Oddometer: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldie05 View Post
Who makes the blue and black jacket you wearing?
The same company that makes the yellow/black jacket, the red/black jacket and the grey/black jacket. Pluric is a collector of sorts. :)
Old 02-26-2012, 02:18 PM   #37
pluric OP
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd-Squad View Post
The same company that makes the yellow/black jacket, the red/black jacket and the grey/black jacket. Pluric is a collector of sorts. :)
Hey Todd,

You are sooooo last year. You missed the new Desert Sand Firstgear Ranier.

Just fit in......

Color is unimportant, as long as it's XL. You know that.

Apparently I also collect shit-flipping friends.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:44 PM   #38
pluric OP
Gimpy Adventurer

Well here comes Stephan after leaving Coco's. Still has that trigger finger cocked.

Fortunately Steve was tired of that particular turn signal and also didn't need the gas capacity.

The dirt road T's into pavement just behind me. Eric and I were talking while we waited
for the other Beasts and he just goes " My bag is gone". Sure enough neither one of had
noticed his side bag had another agenda.

About then Ken show up with some extra baggage.

The plastic mounting hook had broken off. The Tenere has to take some blame here.
On one of my passes Eric had decided enough was enough and took off after me.
The rocks and washboards were a little more than the GS bags could take. On
pavement Eric is smooth and fast. Very fun to ride with. We put his bag on my
passenger seat for now and head into a town for R&R.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:58 PM   #39
#1Fan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 652
Originally Posted by Misery_Goat
Everyone should be so lucky as to be able to ride a motorbike through the Himalayas.
http://www.facebook.com/numberonefan
#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:06 PM   #40
pluric OP
Gimpy Adventurer

Now THAT"S a cactus.

When we rolled into town there was a recommended place to stay that looked spotless.
As I have said before it has never been a problem getting housing or food, until now.
Some rooms had been reserved for a large motorcycle group that we later learned never showed
up. The manager waited until midnight and gave up.

We went a few doors down and got the usual funky cheap this will do room. Ken came out tight
about his toilet now working. Ours filled on a lunar schedule. Sometimes you have to think like a
native. I would fill it from the shower.

Steve noticed a pizza place. I was more the happy to try something without beans and rice.
The outside looked dumpy the inside worse. You could sense Ken was about to have an
adult tantrum. He headed over to get a nerve calming margarita and was a good sport about
trying the place out.

Turns out the owner was from Italy. A rider and made an amazing pizza. To me food is shit fuel.
I eat because I have to and always finish first. Those we are better versed on such things said it
was excellent. I'll take their word, mine was very good.

Dr Feelgood was in the house.

Old 02-26-2012, 03:48 PM   #41
trackhead
Utard Wankster

Oddometer: 2,756
Quote:

Looks like a water bong/tequila to me.
trackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:13 PM   #42
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,336
Quote:
Did some running around trying to get Eric's tire fixed on the US side before
crossing he border. Not one shop or tire store would touch it. I've mentioned
in other ride reports my disappointment with US shops and how picky they
are about what they will work on.

First tire place had Eric's bike fixed in about 15 minutes. Same thing happened on
a Copper Canyon ride a few years back. $5 dollars then and $5 now. Held the rest of the trip.
That's the difference between Mexico and the US. In the US, they'd rather sell you another tire and they know nobody else will fix it. In Mexico, they know some other shop is going to fix it, so they'd rather take your $5 than let the other shop get it. Plus, why throw out a perfectly good tire? Generally speaking, people south of the US border have less and so they waste less.

I've heard of some tire shops not even fixing car flats any more. Don't know if that's true, but its kind of believable.

Good RR so far...
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R

Dahveed screwed with this post 02-26-2012 at 04:28 PM
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:28 PM   #43
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Well, the run from Coco's to Chapala was an indication of the different riding styles..........again.........

My 990 Adventure was running just fine in the 40-50 mph range......when the left side KTM folding mirror decided to shear off......same as the right one.......

This time I knew what had happened so I picked it up and it made the rest of the trip in my RTE pannier.....

Not long after that, I wondered if the BMW side case off to the side of the road might be a new addition or just more Baja discard......but I stopped and picked it up anyway........turned out to be Eric's bag......fortune was on our side......again....

We were headed for the Bahia de Los Angeles for the second Baja night and the folks at Kiki's had suggested that the only decent spot was Casa del Sol...but when we stopped, there were no rooms available.......so we ended up next door at Vito's Villa.....and in between the two places was a nondescript pizza joint.........Baja pizza has been described as a step down from most pressboard materials so I hastened next door to get a Margie.....surprised that I was encouraged to take the stemware with just a promise to return it.......and the pizza turned out to be a true Roman surprise.........a moto rider who decided to marry and settle down in BOLA.....of all the gin joints in the world...........

Stephen and I did stop at the overlook on our way into town.....where's your photo's RetrogradE????

The Casa del Sol...........

and where we stayed............

I think there must be hundreds of versions of the cactus that lives on Highway 1 at the turnoff to BOLA.....here's mine.....

I think the Tenere and the silver GS were both puking fork oil at this point......and Stephen was going to pull the plug sooner than expected......
Old 02-26-2012, 05:22 PM   #44
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Wednesday morning found us having Bfast where we didn't eat or spend the night before..........call for reservations......but then show up.....cause the riders that should have been there stiffed them........

We ran back out to Highway 1 where we stopped for the group photo prior to Retro's departure.........

and our pal who provides barrel gas and picture services............

And then there were the three caballeros......who would finish the trek to La Paz and back to Algodones and Yuma.....safe travels RetogradE......
Old 02-26-2012, 07:37 PM   #45
Bgunn
Mucha distancia

Oddometer: 1,268
Always like a Baja trip report, and looking forward to the rest. Coco's road takes its toll on everything that travels it....
Bgunn is offline   Reply With Quote